College Football Playoff

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Re: College Football Playoff

Postby Alpha » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:16 am

Alabama is the better team.

Ohio State should be the 4th team. They won their conference.

Pretty simple.

EDIT:

Now let's watch the "committee" jerk off the SEC again and put in Alabama...
Alpha

Postby Super K » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:06 am

Four Verticals wrote:Clemson, Oklahoma, Georgia, Ohio State.

Don't think they'll bring in two from the same conference in this situation. Had Alabama beaten Auburn but then lost to Georgia, they'd put them in. Not in this case.

We'll see.

But how do you put a Buckeye team in that got absolutely boatraced by Iowa and whooped by Oklahoma...
Super K

Postby Alpha » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:10 am

Super K wrote:

Don't think they'll bring in two from the same conference in this situation. Had Alabama beaten Auburn but then lost to Georgia, they'd put them in. Not in this case.

We'll see.

But how do you put a Buckeye team in that got absolutely boatraced by Iowa and whooped by Oklahoma...

Simple.

They beat an undefeated Wisconsin team AND won their (Big 5) conference.

And this is where you make the case for x team of your choice...

EDIT:

And don't you ****ing DARE say Alabama.

Saban said it himself, last year:

If you don't win your conference, you shouldn't be considered.

If you wanna say UCF....I could get on board with that.
Alpha

Postby mdb1958 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:16 am

I hate when losing becomes an excuse.
mdb1958

Postby uscbucsfan » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:46 am

Again Alpha, Saban didn't say that.
uscbucsfan

Postby uscbucsfan » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:39 am

I think it will be Ohio State, but I do think Bama is the better team and Clemson vs Bama 3 is a better game than Clemson vs Ohio State.
uscbucsfan

Postby mdb1958 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:50 am

I dont agree with 2 and 3 loss teams being ahead of UCF. If you want to cry about playing tougher teams, dont play them or dont lose to them. One could argue they are ignored mainly because it could turn into a blow out, but it is the smaller chance that could make it a historical game very well worth watching.
mdb1958

Postby Crocaneers » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:13 am

We'll see.

This is the right thing to do, which usually means BCS does something different.
Crocaneers

Postby NavyBuc » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:14 am

I was always under the impression it's the FOUR BEST TEAMS. Isn't that we got rid of the BCS? So we don't have to go by these stupid numbers and SOS and just go with the human eye test of who the four best teams are? Isn't that why Ohio State got selected over Penn State selected last year even though Ohio State didn't win their conference but had 1-loss compared to a 2-loss Penn State who even beat Ohio State?

Honestly, if you're asking me, I think USC should be in over Ohio State, so if we're going by conference championships, give me USC as the 4th team. This Ohio State bullshit pisses me off because I do not think they're that good. They got their ass handed to them by an average Iowa team. They barely beat Michigan and they did not look all that great last night. They just played a very overrated Wisconsin team who happens to be 12-0 because of their weak schedule.

And I'm saying this as someone who HATES Alabama. But I think the four best teams are Clemson, Oklahoma, Georgia and Alabama and I think the four best teams should be in. I would rank Ohio State 6th behind USC.

If Ohio State gets in, get ready for yet another semifinal slaughter between Clemson and Ohio State. Ugh. I guarantee you Clemson is on their hands and knees praying for Ohio State instead of Bama
NavyBuc

Postby NavyBuc » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:51 am

I also think SOS can be a little skewed. For example, that FSU team that played Alabama at full strength would probably be a top-10 or top-15 team if they had that same team throughout the season. And Wisconsin was #4, but the committee knew nothing about them because they hadn't played anyone to prove their ranking. So this is why "these numbers" can't be the end all in discussions.
NavyBuc

Postby Super K » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:07 am

This is a no win situation...

Bama - didn't win their division or conference, no signature wins, loss to a 3 loss team (which includes a loss to a team that lost to Troy)

OSU - 2 losses...both BAD..a real ass whooping by a junk Iowa team

USC - 2 losses...tough road loss ton conference rival, raped by AND

UCF - undefeated...Cinderella story..taken to the wire by Memphis and USF in consecutive weeks

The football purist in me says UCF should get the shot...the realist in me says Bama will be #4
Super K

Postby Kress » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:09 am

Clemson, Oklahoma, and Georgia should be in. #4 is tricky. Probably Ohio State? I could even get on board with USC or, in an ideal world, UCF. Not going to happen, though. I just don't see putting both Alabama and Georgia in. At this point, Georgia deserves it more, and from the eyeball test is truly the better team anyway.

I think that Ohio State would get boat raced no matter who they played, but you never know. Clemson v. Oklahoma would be fun to watch. So would Oklahoma v. Georgia. Clemson v. Georgia may end 6-3. And since Clemson is using their backup punter to kick now, that worries me.

Oh well, this should be fun.

As far as the 8 team thing, why do we have to wait 3-4 weeks for these games? Couldn't another round be going on 2 weeks from now? Or next week? I guess the kids have finals and stuff..... but still. I'm sure that the timing could work out.
Kress

Postby NavyBuc » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:09 pm

Kress wrote:
I think that Ohio State would get boat raced no matter who they played

And this is my point for Alabama. We want the four best teams. Everyone I hear says they could beat Clemson but OSU would get steamrolled. Isn't that why we did away with the BCS? So we could choose who the best 4 are? Isn't that why Ohio State was chosen last year even though they didn't win their conference?

If Ohio State is chosen, IMO, they should just go back to the BCS because the whole "Best 4 teams in the playoff" argument just lost its logic.
NavyBuc

Postby Zarniwoop » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:19 pm

I think the only team OSU can beat is Alabama.

I think Alabama could beat OU, Clem and Georgia
Zarniwoop

Postby Zarniwoop » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:37 pm

OU over Clemson in final
Zarniwoop

Postby NavyBuc » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:40 pm

Bama in. Was the right pick, IMO. They went with the FOUR BEST, which is why we did away with the BCS.

I think if Bama is fully healthy at LB, they have decent shot at beating Clemson. Two great games on New Year's.
NavyBuc

Postby Four Verticals » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:57 pm

NavyBuc wrote:Bama in. Was the right pick, IMO. They went with the FOUR BEST, which is why we did away with the BCS.

I think if Bama is fully healthy at LB, they have decent shot at beating Clemson. Two great games on New Year's.

Would you have said the same had Wisconsin won yesterday? I don't think that changes your point very much.
Four Verticals

Postby Selmon Rules » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:11 pm

Noticed on one of the graphics they showed prior to announcement and it seemed like USCw had some of the better numbers on that (SOS, record against top teams, etc...) and with the same record that OSU had.... Not saying they are one of the top 4 teams in country but find it odd that it seems they weren't even in discussion....
Sig currently being held hostage by Photobucket, will return next fall
Selmon Rules

Postby NavyBuc » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:45 pm

Four Verticals wrote:
NavyBuc wrote:Bama in. Was the right pick, IMO. They went with the FOUR BEST, which is why we did away with the BCS.

Would you have said the same had Wisconsin won yesterday? I don't think that changes your point very much.

If Wisconsin would have won they would have been an undefeated power 5 conf champ with a top 10 win. That’s a hell of a lot more of a case as one of the 4 best teams than a team with two blowout losses, one to an unranked team.
NavyBuc

Postby Phantom Phenom » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:56 pm

Oklahoma vs Clemson for national championship game
Last edited by Phantom Phenom on Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Phantom Phenom

Postby Bootz2004 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:23 pm

Alabama v Georgia for National Championship.
Bootz2004

Postby bucfanclw » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:26 pm

Ugh... I agree with Bootz.
bucfanclw

Postby Doctor » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:31 pm

How the hell are people just excusing OSU two losses by a combine score of 86-40?? The hate for Alabama is strong here.
Doctor

Postby Bootz2004 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:40 pm

Doctor wrote:How the hell are people just excusing OSU two losses by a combine score of 86-40?? The hate for Alabama is strong here.

You answered your own question. Casual fans hate teams who win consistently. Yankees, Red Sox, Patriots, Bluedevils, Any team with LeBron James, the Tide. Just part of regular human psyche. They like to root for underdogs who are clearly inferior and have less talent because underdogs are a closer relation to what the majority of society is. Inferior, average, untalented.
Bootz2004

Postby Zarniwoop » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:47 pm

Where is all the hate for Alabama here? Nearly everyone said they deserve #4.

And some who predicted the committee would pick OSU even said Bama was better
Zarniwoop

Postby Four Verticals » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:06 pm

NavyBuc wrote:
Four Verticals wrote:

If Wisconsin would have won they would have been an undefeated power 5 conf champ with a top 10 win. That’s a hell of a lot more of a case as one of the 4 best teams than a team with two blowout losses, one to an unranked team.

They still would have been one of the four best (Alabama that is) whether one team had a better argument or not. After all we're going with the FOUR Best here aren't we?
Four Verticals

Postby NavyBuc » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:57 pm

Four Verticals wrote:
NavyBuc wrote:

They still would have been one of the four best (Alabama that is) whether one team had a better argument or not. After all we're going with the FOUR Best here aren't we?

If Wisconsin was a great team and one of the best, they would have won last night against a top-10 team. They had a chance to prove themselves. They didn't. End of story.

Bama was chosen over Ohio State because they were a better team in the eyes of the committee. The committee chairman even said as much in his interview with ESPN. Ohio State shot themselves in the foot with the loss to Iowa. I personally think Alabama has holes in it and their qb play has been suspect, but when you compare them with the teams in questions (Ohio State and USC), they were the best of those 3.
NavyBuc

Postby mdb1958 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:44 pm

Division III final four are all undefeated.
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:55 pm

UCF beat the #2 scoring team in the nation twice, #8 once, and #16 once.
mdb1958

Postby KiffininCanton » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:56 pm

It's pretty clear after this year and last year the committee doesn't put large value in your conference.

That's a good thing IMHO.

The "They won their conference" has always been a lazy argument IMO.

For one, like this year Alabama vs. Ohio State, your dealing with teams from two different conferences, it's apples and oranges.

But even in the case of last year where it was Ohio State vs. Penn State, with unbalanced schedules (Ohio State had to play AT Wisconsin, Penn State didn't have to play Wisconsin at all) and with home field advantage in head to head match ups (The Ohio State-Penn State game was at Penn State) there isn't always fairness or equity in who wins a conference championship.
KiffininCanton

PreviousNext

Return to College Football/Draft Talk