Players we should be watching (2018)

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Re: Players we should be watching (2018)

Postby Jason Bourne » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:06 pm

Arden Key is the top rated DE on a lot of boards, he is fast and his first step is really something . I still like chubbs better but wouldn’t mind Key
Jason Bourne

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:56 am

Just got done reading the Dotson Marpet to IR thread and I thought I would throw some names out there.

Will Hernandez G UTEP. 6'3 330
Saw this guy week one vs. Oklahoma and I liked what I saw. He's a Big man that can pull and get upfield. Apparently , I'm not the only guy who noticed because he's a Mid-season All American and will be a solid day 2 pick.

Jamarco Jones, LT Ohio State 6'5 310
He doesn't get a lot of attention around here, but Jones is your best bet if you want a day one LT not named Mike McGlinchey. I have watched very little OSU this season so I can't say much about how he is playing this year but he was a target of mine last year before he decided to stay in school.

Austin Golson, C Auburn 6'4 314
I'm thinking about depth with this guy. Take over for Joe Hawley AND Evan Smith as the backup Center and swing guard. Honestly, This is my first ever look at him this morning and I need to do some homework but Draftek has him just inside the Top 200 which is the range I would be thinking for this role. But being from Auburn, I already know this guy can run block.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:02 am

Will Hernandez is a monster. Hope he's there for us in round 2.
real bucs fan

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:33 am

real bucs fan wrote:Will Hernandez is a monster. Hope he's there for us in round 2.

Some folks on Redditt have him as a first rounder.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:38 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:Will Hernandez is a monster. Hope he's there for us in round 2.

Some folks on Redditt have him as a first rounder.

I honestly don't see much difference between he and Nelson. Nelson is maybe a bit smoother in his movements, but Hernandez has every bit the raw talent as far as I can tell.
real bucs fan

Postby mdb1958 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:55 am

Can Harold Landry do what Carl Lawson is doing.
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:52 am

Are the defensive line improvements going to be in this upcoming draft?
mdb1958

Postby MJW » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:38 am

mdb1958 wrote:Can Harold Landry do what Carl Lawson is doing.

I don't think so. I think he's as 3-4 strongside guy. He'll put some pressure, but I like him more in that strongside role, doing different things that make a defense better. The Steelers usually have a guy like him.
MJW

Postby Nano » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:34 pm

What if we move to a 3-4
Nano

Postby mdb1958 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:59 pm

Nano wrote:What if we move to a 3-4

What if we play both and it works.
mdb1958

Postby Cheb » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:10 pm

Nano wrote:What if we move to a 3-4

We can make a 3-4 work with our current personnel.

Baker and McDonald at nose.
Gholston is my strongside end, and I'd make him two-gap.
McCoy is my weakside end head up with a two-way go.
Spence and LVD are my OLBs, Kwon and Beckwith in the middle.

I mean, Vea Vita would be nice, but we can run with our current horses.
Cheb

Postby Phantom Phenom » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:48 pm

Off topic.

I think the Saints trade up to get Baker Mayfield of Oklahoma

Phantom Phenom

Postby Nano » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:21 am

So, is Baker Mayfield the best CFB QB of all time? He broke the efficiency record last season...he's going to finish this season with a 200+ passer rating. He has more conference titles than conference losses. He's probably going to win the Heisman, and potentially a Natty this year too.

Maybe not be the best NFL prospect but he's an epic good college player
Nano

Postby Cheb » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:21 am

Nano wrote:So, is Baker Mayfield the best CFB QB of all time? He broke the efficiency record last season...he's going to finish this season with a 200+ passer rating. He has more conference titles than conference losses. He's probably going to win the Heisman, and potentially a Natty this year too.

Maybe not be the best NFL prospect but he's an epic good college player

I think Mayfield is great. If we were in the market for a QB, I would be advocating for us taking him. To do what he has done is fantastic, especially considering he was a walk-on not once but twice (at Texas Tech and then Oklahoma).

All Baker needs is a Heisman and a Natty to be in the conversation as among the best college QBs ever. He'd have my Heisman vote, and his team will have a chance at a championship.
Cheb

Postby Alpha » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:08 am

Well...thanks to a "quality loss", the Yucks are now at 7-8.

Justin Evans, for a rookie, has flashed this year. Big time. We could nail down for years that position, by (perhaps) taking D. James out of FSU. Assuming Evans plays FS...and I'm not sure how we're playing him at this point...James at SS? At least we can get rid of Conte...amiright?!

Q. Groves (G) or Hutchinson (T) wouldn't piss me off either.

At 7-8, I don't think Chubb and/or Key will be around so let's assume we can't go DE with the first pick. Above that...Key runs what...240 or so? The guy is a 3/4 OLB...not a DE. IF Chubb were to fall, I think we'd haul ass to the podium but with a rush DE being nearly as premium as QB, I don't see it.
Alpha

Postby PrimeMinister » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:58 pm

You don’t believe we can sink lower than 7-8?
PrimeMinister

Postby Alpha » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:56 am

PrimeMinister wrote:You don’t believe we can sink lower than 7-8?

As of now.

I think DET is the last game we have a realistic shot at winning (especially of Stafford is out).

Who knows where we end up but somewhere between 7 and 12 sounds about right. Hell...we can all hope that some crappy teams decide to go on a winning streak but it's unlikely we pick better than 7th.
Alpha

Postby real bucs fan » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:24 pm

Assuming Chubb, Barkley, and Nelson are off the board, who's everyones top guy at this point? (obviously very early)
real bucs fan

Postby Alpha » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:40 am

real bucs fan wrote:Assuming Chubb, Barkley, and Nelson are off the board, who's everyones top guy at this point? (obviously very early)

First...if we draft a QB in the first...this ENTIRE staff needs to be fired. I refuse to believe that this organization is that incompetent. We can't give up on 23 year old QB, with a 65% cp and a 2/1 TD percentage. That's just asinine.

So let's move it along:

Chubb is my #1 guy...Nelson is my #2...but this all comes down to where we are drafting. Let's assume we are at 8.

The rest depends on who is off the board.

IMO...unless we are gonna move to a 3-4 defense, Key is OUT. He is a 3-4 OLB....not a 4-3 DE. He's too light to play 4/3 DE.

Fitzpatrick or James at Safety wouldn't hurt my feelings. McGlinchey (OT) or Webster (CB) wouldn't suck, either.

Let's start there.

I tend to agree with many of you...draft linemen. Our secondary should be our next need. They suck.
Alpha

Postby Cheb » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:39 am

real bucs fan wrote:Assuming Chubb, Barkley, and Nelson are off the board, who's everyones top guy at this point? (obviously very early)

Anything other than Chubb or Nelson would be a disappointment.

Fitzpatrick would be nice. So would Derwin James.

Arden Key makes me nervous. Mike McGlinchey is fool's gold.

You know, taking Orlando Brown Jr and playing him at left guard for a season may not be the worst idea, with an idea towards grooming him to take over a tackle spot in future.

Just an idea.
Cheb

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:00 am

Cheb wrote:You know, taking Orlando Brown Jr and playing him at left guard for a season may not be the worst idea, with an idea towards grooming him to take over a tackle spot in future.

Just an idea.

You okay with a 6'7" guard? That's the only thing that gives me pause with that idea. He'd have to create a passing lane.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:04 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Cheb wrote:You know, taking Orlando Brown Jr and playing him at left guard for a season may not be the worst idea, with an idea towards grooming him to take over a tackle spot in future.

Just an idea.

You okay with a 6'7" guard? That's the only thing that gives me pause with that idea. He'd have to create a passing lane.

Height is less important to me than the leverage they play with along with how athletic they are.
DreadNaught

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:15 am

Arden Key or Billy Price

EDGE rusher is more of a premium position and imo much more difficult to find difference makers at the position. So I'd favor Key for that reason. But Billy Price is an extremely 'high floor' type of prospect and we need to fortify our interior Oline. I think we'll be drafting too high to grab a Center in round 1, but I'd love to get Price if he slides to the late 1st/early 2nd range. Plug him in at Center and free up Marpet to go play LG.

If we could draft Nelson we'd just keep Marpet at Center and plug in Nelson at LG. Either way we need to upgrade the LG position. Pamphile is not the guy there.

Arden Key is guy I like more than most. His draft process will be interesting for sure. He's a super freak athlete w/ the length and bend you desire off the edge. I see guys like Danielle Hunter, and Leonard Floyd as comps to Key except I think Key has more physical tools and will enter the league heavier than either Hunter or Floyd did. I know Arden Key has some off field stuff that needs to be vetted, but his size and ability gives him tremendous upside. Like a perennial 12+ sacks/season type of guy.

Harold Landry is another edge rusher I like, but he's a bit undersized like Noah Spence. That doesn't bother me as much since it's such a passing league these days, but with our already strong LB core I don't see how Landry or Spence would get on the field on run downs.
DreadNaught

Postby Cheb » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:19 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:

Just an idea.

The size would be a bit much, probably. But both of our current guards are 6'5". Every Pro Bowl guard last year was over 6'3".

Just an idea :)
Cheb

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:53 am

Minkah Fitzpatrick is a finalist for the following awards:
Bednarik
Biletnikoff
Nagurski
Thorpe
and Walter Camp

That's on top of being a mid-season 1st team All American and a shoe in for All American for the season. He was an All american in 2016 and was all SEC in 2016 as well.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:42 pm

I'm not a big fan of Key, and I don't think I could get behind a Safety considering the investment we made in Evans and the fact he's looking promising. The 2 areas we desperately need to address are the running game and the pass rush. In terms of guys who could help us in those regards, I see 3 blue chippers in Chubb, Barkley, and Nelson. If we miss out on those 3, I think we could take a look at the top emerging CB (Josh Jackson?), or perhaps Guice/Love or McGlinchey. I know Cheb doesn't like McGlinchey and he knows more about OL play than me, but I do think McGlinchey is an interesting piece of clay. Not many LTs come around with his size, length, and feet.
real bucs fan

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:44 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:Minkah Fitzpatrick is a finalist for the following awards:
Bednarik
Biletnikoff
Nagurski
Thorpe
and Walter Camp

That's on top of being a mid-season 1st team All American and a shoe in for All American for the season. He was an All american in 2016 and was all SEC in 2016 as well.

We need a player who's going to be impactful for us running the ball or rushing the passer. Fitzpatrick to me is a luxury pick that we can't afford to make.
real bucs fan

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:22 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Minkah Fitzpatrick is a finalist for the following awards:
Bednarik
Biletnikoff
Nagurski
Thorpe
and Walter Camp

We need a player who's going to be impactful for us running the ball or rushing the passer. Fitzpatrick to me is a luxury pick that we can't afford to make.

Yeah, yeah. Everybody knows what you think. How about you STFU and give somebody else a chance.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:24 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:We need a player who's going to be impactful for us running the ball or rushing the passer. Fitzpatrick to me is a luxury pick that we can't afford to make.

Yeah, yeah. Everybody knows what you think. How about you STFU and give somebody else a chance.

LOL who the **** pissed in your cheerios? I was expressing an opinion on a message board, and I never said you couldn't express yours...
real bucs fan

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:31 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Yeah, yeah. Everybody knows what you think. How about you STFU and give somebody else a chance.

LOL who the **** pissed in your cheerios? I was expressing an opinion on a message board, and I never said you couldn't express yours...

And I was answering your question.

My answer is Fitzpatrick. And no, he's not a luxury pick. He's an impact player that would impact the NFL's 31st ranked pass defense!
Mountaineer Buc

PreviousNext

Return to College Football/Draft Talk