Players we should be watching (2018)

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Re: Players we should be watching (2018)

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:00 pm

Josey Jewell is looking better than last year.

Last year he was a heat seeking missile looking for the big hit. He is still all over the field, but now he's tackling rather than colliding. He's gonna one of the top LB picks should be a Will at the next level.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:36 pm

Ike Botteger, RT Iowa. 6'5 307lbs

Ideal size, road grader vs. The run, backpedals really well in pass protection. Stays in front of his man. Keeps his base.

He's got everything you want. Need to see him against top pass rushers.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby uscbucsfan » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:24 pm

Deebo is amazing
uscbucsfan

Postby Phantom Phenom » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:26 pm

Will Grier
Phantom Phenom

Postby Alpha » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:15 pm

I watched UCLA/Memphis. Pretty funny since (in FLA) I almost NEVER watch west coast teams play. Also watched the Clemson/Louisville game.

This was my second time watching Rosen. I haven't seen Mayfield yet (I typically work Saturdays) or some of the other "stud" QB prospects.

God help me but Rosen reminds me COMPLETELY of Jameis...when Jameis was in college. He takes chances with his throws that he really shouldn't...and more often than not, it works out. That said...some are picked...and he does make some poor decisions. Again...Jameis. The main difference between the two being, Rosen (IMO) doesn't have nearly the arm that Jameis has.

A first rounder for sure. The "best" QB prospect to come out in years? No.
Alpha

Postby Cheb » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:12 am

Royce Freeman for Oregon would be a slam dunk of a second rounder.
Cheb

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:20 pm

It's going to be between Troy Fumugali at Wisconsin and Mark Andrews of Oklahoma for the title of best TE in the country.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Stephenip12 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:13 am

Cheb wrote:Royce Freeman for Oregon would be a slam dunk of a second rounder.

I agree. He gives us that breakaway threat at the running back position.
Stephenip12

Postby MJW » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:06 pm

I know there is much, much more to this than need...AND that it's too early to be thinking about need...

But we should be watching corners, defensive linemen, and offensive linemen right now.
MJW

Postby Super K » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:52 am

MJW wrote:I know there is much, much more to this than need...AND that it's too early to be thinking about need...

But we should be watching corners, defensive linemen, and offensive linemen right now.

Hell yeah we should..
Super K

Postby Pirate Life » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:20 pm

Highly doubt he'd be available when the Bucs pick if/when he declares, but damn Saquan Barkley would look nice lining up behind Winston for the next half dozen or so years.

Unfortunately, haven't had much time to watch many games or look for prospects so far this year but Barkley's talent just jumps off the screen when you watch him run.
Pirate Life

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:20 pm

MJW wrote:I know there is much, much more to this than need...AND that it's too early to be thinking about need...

Pardon me for not remembering names but...

I haven't seen very many corners to get stoked about yet.

NC state has a good pass rusher with a nasty attitude that's worth a closer look.

For Oline, look at the Right tackle from Iowa, there's an All American Guard from Notre Dame, and Jamarco Jones, the LT from Ohio state caught my eye last year.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:49 pm

RB, OL, DL, DB... lotta guys to look at. Really hope we address the running game after ignoring it last offseason.
real bucs fan

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:32 am

real bucs fan wrote:RB, OL, DL, DB... lotta guys to look at. Really hope we address the running game after ignoring it last offseason.

We did address the running game. It just didn't take.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:02 am

I have Duke Dawson from Florida listed as a corner but I view him more as a safety. He and Minkah Fitzpatrick are the only high grade guys I've seen so far but it's still really early.

Now that I got my spreadsheet in front of me:

DE:
Bradley Chubb from NC State is a hyped guy. I didn't see him vs. FSU, but he made some plays vs. South Carolina.

Lorenzo Carter from Georgia looked awesome (the whole Georgia defense did) vs. Miss. St. and was described as a "game wrecker".

Ogbonnia Okoronkwo from Okalahoma has flashed at times.

OL:
Ike Botteger is the Iowa RT I mentioned last night. He looks real good on pass protection and get's downfield. I did see him drop his head driving a guy on a run down though.

Another Iowa guy is Guard Sean Welsh. 36 starts coming into the season and that kind of experience is a good thing.

Quenton Nelson from Notre Dame was an all american in 2016 but I just can't seem to get a good look at the Irish whenever they're on wheich is why I don't have a decent take on him or Mike McGlinchey yet.

Orlando Brown from Oklahoma is simply massive. 6'7 340. Kinda looks like he's a lumbering unathletic guy though.

RB:
Saquan Barkley is special. He's unbelievably nimble on his feet, has 4.3 speed, and is way stronger than he looks. He's my Heisman guy and is living up to the hype.

What I have on Kamryn Pettway from Auburn is that he's a power back (which I like) and he can pass protect (which I REALLY like) I'm waiting for Auburn to get into the meat of their schedule before I take a good look at him though.

Akrum Wadley from Iowa bothers me. In the 2 games I've watched him, he's been pretty meh in the first half and then wakes up in the second half. I think he might be a JAG at the next level.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:19 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:RB, OL, DL, DB... lotta guys to look at. Really hope we address the running game after ignoring it last offseason.

We did address the running game. It just didn't take.

How by using a 5th on McNichols? I'm talking a real investment. Like a 1st round back and second round road grader or visa versa.
real bucs fan

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:51 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:We did address the running game. It just didn't take.

How by using a 5th on McNichols? I'm talking a real investment. Like a 1st round back and second round road grader or visa versa.

You said that we ignored it. We didn't.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Selmon Rules » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:09 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:We did address the running game. It just didn't take.

I'd rather see a first round road grader and a second round back.... A great line will make an average back look better than a great back behind an average line.

I've always believed that games will almost always be won by having the best lines on both sides of the ball
Sig currently being held hostage by Photobucket, will return next fall
Selmon Rules

Postby Alpha » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:25 am

My work schedule has allowed me to watch more West Coast games than ever. Been able to actually watch more of them, than EC games.

Tonight: USC vs. WSU

(Please leave your bias out of this...I have NO INTEREST in either team. These are just my reactions to the game. That's all)

This is the 2nd time I've seen Darnold play. The other was last year vs. ND. Surprisingly...the worst games of his career. Maybe I'm a jinx for the kid.

I really don't get the hype over Darnold. He doesn't pass the smell test to me. Falk (WSU) looked like the FAR more composed, more accurate and just BETTER QB than Darnold tonight. And WSU looked like the MUCH better team. From the commentary, apparently USC has a lot of o-line injuries. Maybe that has something to do with it...but he looked like he did against ND last year. Not particularly accurate. Shaky. Unsure.

The part that bothered me the most was the commentary (and those announcers SUCK, btw.) They mentioned (on air) that Darnold has spoken OPENLY about his lack of confidence.

That is DISTURBING, if I'm an NFL team. That guy SCREAMS David Carr to me. He's (allegedly) the top 1 or 2 QB's in the draft next year. Meaning, he's going to a shitty team. What happens to his "confidence" in the League, when his new, shitty team can't protect him?

I'll take Rosen over his guy ALL DAY. Haven't seen Mayfield play more than a few snaps so I'll withhold opinion on him...but Darnold? Darnold!?

I just don't get it.
Alpha

Postby MJW » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:28 am

Alpha wrote:My work schedule has allowed me to watch more West Coast games than ever. Been able to actually watch more of them, than EC games.

(Please leave your bias out of this...I have NO INTEREST in either team. These are just my reactions to the game. That's all)

This is the 2nd time I've seen Darnold play. The other was last year vs. ND. Surprisingly...the worst games of his career. Maybe I'm a jinx for the kid.

I really don't get the hype over Darnold. He doesn't pass the smell test to me. Falk (WSU) looked like the FAR more composed, more accurate and just BETTER QB than Darnold tonight. And WSU looked like the MUCH better team. From the commentary, apparently USC has a lot of o-line injuries. Maybe that has something to do with it...but he looked like he did against ND last year. Not particularly accurate. Shaky. Unsure.

The part that bothered me the most was the commentary (and those announcers SUCK, btw.) They mentioned (on air) that Darnold has spoken OPENLY about his lack of confidence.

That is DISTURBING, if I'm an NFL team. That guy SCREAMS David Carr to me. He's (allegedly) the top 1 or 2 QB's in the draft next year. Meaning, he's going to a shitty team. What happens to his "confidence" in the League, when his new, shitty team can't protect him?

I'll take Rosen over his guy ALL DAY. Haven't seen Mayfield play more than a few snaps so I'll withhold opinion on him...but Darnold? Darnold!?

I just don't get it.

I get it with Darnold, having seen several of his good games as well. He has a world of arm talent and he's athletic. I also don't care very much about the interceptions this season, simply because his other metrics are nearly identical. His completion % is down 0.1%, and his YPA is identical.

All that said, I can see what you're seeing as well. I'm bothered also by the lack of confidence he seems to be playing with. I'm wondering if he has "that thing" you need a top five quarterback to have. That thing Winston has all of and Glennon has none of. I'm wondering which guy Darnold ends up closer to.

Here's the problem with Rosen - there are a lot of rumors and whispers that he doesn't love the game. That could be total BS, or it could not be, but that, also, isn't want you like to hear.

I'm wondering if this group is going to mirror 2005 in the end.
MJW

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:49 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:

You said that we ignored it. We didn't.

You're missing the forrest for the trees amigo.
real bucs fan

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:50 am

Selmon Rules wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:

I'd rather see a first round road grader and a second round back.... A great line will make an average back look better than a great back behind an average line.

I've always believed that games will almost always be won by having the best lines on both sides of the ball

I haven't begun really looking at this draft yet, but I'm certainly game with a first round road grader and a Day 2 back. I just don't think we can afford to wait until Day 3 like we did last year.
real bucs fan

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:20 pm

Nowhere else to post this but that Hokie crowd is ON FIRE.

Awesome environment you don't see at the pro level.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Alpha » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:47 am

MJW wrote:
Alpha wrote:My work schedule has allowed me to watch more West Coast games than ever. Been able to actually watch more of them, than EC games.

I just don't get it.

I get it with Darnold, having seen several of his good games as well. He has a world of arm talent and he's athletic. I also don't care very much about the interceptions this season, simply because his other metrics are nearly identical. His completion % is down 0.1%, and his YPA is identical.

All that said, I can see what you're seeing as well. I'm bothered also by the lack of confidence he seems to be playing with. I'm wondering if he has "that thing" you need a top five quarterback to have. That thing Winston has all of and Glennon has none of. I'm wondering which guy Darnold ends up closer to.

Here's the problem with Rosen - there are a lot of rumors and whispers that he doesn't love the game. That could be total BS, or it could not be, but that, also, isn't want you like to hear.

I'm wondering if this group is going to mirror 2005 in the end.

I'm not concerned with his INT's either. I like his arm strength as well...but (I'm watching UCLA/COL) Rosen has a friggin' cannon as well.

I've "heard" the same about Rosen...but they are "whispers". The game announcers (last night) were OPENLY DISCUSSING how Darnold was OPENLY DISCUSSING his own lack of confidence. NFL players will eat him alive with that kind of mentality. Can you imagine?

Just comparing what I've seen from Rosen and Darnold...Rosen definitely has that "confidence", that "it factor" when he's playing...even if he isn't playing particularly well. Darnold VISIBLY looks like he's lacking confidence.

If I'm a "talent" scout for an NFL team...I like what I see from Rosen. Darnold...not so much. "Measureables" are what they are. Just watch the difference between the two DURING AN ACTUAL GAME. They aren't even in the same league. IMO.

Again...I may be completely wrong. Maybe it's just a couple of bad games and I'm reading too much into it.

I could easily see Darnold falling apart having to play behind a Bears or Jets o-line early in his career. Again...A David Carr in the making.

MJ...you've seen a LOT of Baker Mayfield. How does he compare to these two?
Alpha

Postby Jason Bourne » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:27 pm

We need Bradley Chubb or Arden Key on this team , don't care how just make it the **** happen Dom !
Jason Bourne

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:54 pm

Jason Bourne wrote:We need Bradley Chubb or Arden Key on this team , don't care how just make it the **** happen Dom !

Nick Chubb.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Jason Bourne » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:43 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Jason Bourne wrote:We need Bradley Chubb or Arden Key on this team , don't care how just make it the **** happen Dom !

Nick Chubb.

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2018BChubb.php
Jason Bourne

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:40 am

Jason Bourne wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Nick Chubb.

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2018BChubb.php

Oh, THAT Chubb. derp.

I guess he wreaked havoc on FSU and comes with some hype. I didn't see him make any splash plays against South Carolina, but he did get a good deal of pressure on their QB.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Alpha » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:01 am

Jason Bourne wrote:We need Bradley Chubb...

Seen a couple of NC State games this year and I agree. He dominates whoever he's up against. Granted...one of those games was vs. FSU and their "o-line" but he was a beast.
Alpha

Postby Super K » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:06 am

Alpha wrote:
Jason Bourne wrote:We need Bradley Chubb...

Seen a couple of NC State games this year and I agree. He dominates whoever he's up against. Granted...one of those games was vs. FSU and their "o-line" but he was a beast.

Nice quickness with some good size..

He's not an undersized "speed" guy (Spence,Jaq Smith) that we've been used to seeing/counting on..

That being said, I like Harold Landry from BC too...
Super K

PreviousNext

Return to College Football/Draft Talk