Players we should be watching (2018)

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Re: Players we should be watching (2018)

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:36 pm

real bucs fan wrote:I'm not a big fan of Key, and I don't think I could get behind a Safety considering the investment we made in Evans and the fact he's looking promising. The 2 areas we desperately need to address are the running game and the pass rush. In terms of guys who could help us in those regards, I see 3 blue chippers in Chubb, Barkley, and Nelson. If we miss out on those 3, I think we could take a look at the top emerging CB (Josh Jackson?), or perhaps Guice/Love or McGlinchey. I know Cheb doesn't like McGlinchey and he knows more about OL play than me, but I do think McGlinchey is an interesting piece of clay. Not many LTs come around with his size, length, and feet.

I like Chubb over Key as well and like them both over Landry as fits for the Bucs.

I think we'll be drafting in the top 10 and while Barkley would be a nice addition, I'd really hate missing out on an O-linemen or EDGE rusher in round 1. I'm also not a fan of drafting an interior Olinemen in the top 10 so I'd prefer we trade down with a QB needy team and target Nelson or Billy Price later in round 1.

As far as Arden Key there are some off-field questions that teams will need to dig into, mainly what were the 'personal reasons' he left the LSU program after last season and missed all of spring? Also, how committed is he to playing football and staying in shape. He gained 30lbs in the offseason after coaches told him to add weight after playing 2016 at 230lbs so he showed up at 261 but it wasn't good weight gain. So that is concerning. In the end I think the off field stuff will likely push Key out of the top 10, but some team will take on a chance on EDGE rusher with his size and athleticism.
DreadNaught

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:42 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Minkah Fitzpatrick is a finalist for the following awards:
Bednarik
Biletnikoff
Nagurski
Thorpe
and Walter Camp

That's on top of being a mid-season 1st team All American and a shoe in for All American for the season. He was an All american in 2016 and was all SEC in 2016 as well.

We need a player who's going to be impactful for us running the ball or rushing the passer. Fitzpatrick to me is a luxury pick that we can't afford to make.

I'd be fine with Fitzpatrick. But just like with a RB/Barkley I think it's more important to fix what is in front of them first.

But Fitzpatrick has CB skills while hitting like a Safety and pairing him with Justin Evans would allow our defense to be very aggressive in pressure packages b/c both Evans and Fitzpatrick could cover WRs if asked.

I think Fitzpatrick is very high floor type of prospect that will be a good player in the NFL for long time, so I wouldn't have issue if he was BPA when we drafted.
DreadNaught

Postby Bootz2004 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:17 pm

Fitzpatrick is an impact player, Luxury pick or not. Whatever you want to call it, we could use someone with his skills.
Bootz2004

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:31 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:Fitzpatrick is an impact player, Luxury pick or not. Whatever you want to call it, we could use someone with his skills.

It would be nice to not have Chris Conte starting at Safety in 2018. :D

I really get tired of seeing Conte either completely wiff or get trucked in run support week after week.
DreadNaught

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:28 pm

High floor safety out of Bama? Sounds familiar ;)
real bucs fan

Postby uscbucsfan » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:28 pm

real bucs fan wrote:High floor safety out of Bama? Sounds familiar ;)

"His floor is pro bowl safety"
uscbucsfan

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:37 pm

If he tests out of this world and shows he can potentially move to CB and be a Jalen Ramsey, I'm down for him for sure.
real bucs fan

Postby Brazen331 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:56 pm

Much rather have Derwin James at SS than Fitzpatrick. If Evans looks like he can be that single-high, pairing James with our LB crew, allowing him to roam around and be a hybrid like Polomalu, could be pretty lethal. I just see James being able to record more splash plays and he can get you 5 sacks a year if you use him like you should. I can't see Fitz doing that. If we draft Fitz he should stay at CB.
Brazen331

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:13 pm

James has medical red flags, does he not? I've also read reports that his football instincts have been questioned. Fantastic talent for sure though.
real bucs fan

Postby Deja Entendu » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:52 pm

If Bradley Chubb is on the board, I feel like we have to take him. I actually just saw a mock with us passing on him for Arden Key with Chubb dropping to 12. No way he falls that far... right??

Fitzpatrick is a stud. If he could play corner, that'd be even better.
Deja Entendu

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:17 pm

Deja Entendu wrote:If Bradley Chubb is on the board, I feel like we have to take him. I actually just saw a mock with us passing on him for Arden Key with Chubb dropping to 12. No way he falls that far... right??

For me, considering position, Chubb is the best player in the draft. Assuming he measures decently I don't think he can reasonably fall out of the top 5. He may not be the freak that the Clowney's and Garret's of the world are, but he could end up being just as impactful. I think he grades similar to Joey Bosa- who I thought was the best player in his draft but went 4th. Obviously very different players, but similarly dominant (with Bosa being bigger, and Chubb being quicker).
real bucs fan

Postby Bootz2004 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:13 pm

Deja Entendu wrote:If Bradley Chubb is on the board, I feel like we have to take him. I actually just saw a mock with us passing on him for Arden Key with Chubb dropping to 12. No way he falls that far... right??

I'm impressed with Chubb. I don't think we would pass him up. I wouldn't mind Key either. I don't understand people saying they wouldn't want him yet they'd want some 3rd or 4th round rated prospect. Key is going to be an impact player at the NFL level.
Bootz2004

Postby Alpha » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:52 pm

real bucs fan wrote: Fitzpatrick to me is a luxury pick that we can't afford to make.

Yeah...a stud CB/S is a "luxury" pick on this defense. :roll:

STFU, dumbass.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:55 pm

Cheb wrote:
Arden Key makes me nervous. Mike McGlinchey is fool's gold.

After watching him get absolutely abused by every DE Miami could roll out, I agree.

However, everything I read says I'm (and you're) wrong about this.

Granted...I haven't watch many ND games...but why does everyone have a hard-on over this guy? There HAS to be a reason...right?
Alpha

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:55 pm

Alpha wrote:
real bucs fan wrote: Fitzpatrick to me is a luxury pick that we can't afford to make.

STFU, dumbass.

What an angry little tranny you are, jeez.
real bucs fan

Postby Alpha » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:01 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
Alpha wrote:

STFU, dumbass.

What an angry little tranny you are, jeez.

Not so much, "angry" as "tired" of seeing your ignorant bullshit.

If you actually decided to watch a game, you might have noticed that our secondary sucks out loud. Thus, drafting an elite CB/S prospect wouldn't be considered a "luxury" pick by anyone. Other than your dumb self, of course.

Now...how does it feel knowing that a tranny knows more about this team than you. Schmuck.

Don't feel too bad, dummy. You do provide some comic relief around hese parts...so you have that going for you. Which is nice.
Alpha

Postby Nano » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:24 am

Our secondary sucks and could get even worse considering that Grimes and Ward probably won't be back.
Nano

Postby Doctor » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:58 am

Nano wrote:Our secondary sucks and could get even worse considering that Grimes and Ward probably won't be back.

Was Ward ever really here?
Doctor

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:59 am

I'm all for a taking a guy if we think he can be Jalen Ramsey... not so much if he's going to be a safety. And believe me, as someone who played safety (in high school, not bragging here) I have respect for the position, but spending a top 10 pick on it is pretty much never a good idea...
real bucs fan

Postby Doctor » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:11 am

real bucs fan wrote:I'm all for a taking a guy if we think he can be Jalen Ramsey... not so much if he's going to be a safety. And believe me, as someone who played safety (in high school, not bragging here) I have respect for the position, but spending a top 10 pick on it is pretty much never a good idea...

Don't take this personally but that's the dumbest self fullfilling mindset ever. There are plenty of safeties in the league that would easily be top ten in their draft classes if they had a redo. Saying it shouldn't be in that position it's what leads dumb GMs to pass on studs like Ed Reed, Troy Polumalu, and Earl Thomas when they should have been like Ramsey or Berry and gone in the top 10. If the kid is that good he's that good. Pushing him down the rankings because "his position" is just stupid.

And for the record, the kid is that good.
Doctor

Postby Alpha » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:30 am

Doctor wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:I'm all for a taking a guy if we think he can be Jalen Ramsey... not so much if he's going to be a safety. And believe me, as someone who played safety (in high school, not bragging here) I have respect for the position, but spending a top 10 pick on it is pretty much never a good idea...

Don't take this personally but that's the dumbest self fullfilling mindset ever. There are plenty of safeties in the league that would easily be top ten in their draft classes if they had a redo. Saying it shouldn't be in that position it's what leads dumb GMs to pass on studs like Ed Reed, Troy Polumalu, and Earl Thomas when they should have been like Ramsey or Berry and gone in the top 10. If the kid is that good he's that good. Pushing him down the rankings because "his position" is just stupid.

And for the record, the kid is that good.

Actually...I don't mind if he takes it personally.

He's a dumb-fuck.
Alpha

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:09 am

Fitzpatrick or Derwin James would be good picks.

We over think the draft most times. I get the positional value arguments and have made them myself. But if a player is the BPA and an elite talent you often regret passing on them early in the draft.

It's not like this Bucs roster couldn't use an upgrade over Conte. Other than WR, TE, FB, QB, DT, and LB I think any other position is open in round 1.

Like most I'd still prefer an elite pass rusher or Olinemen. But if James or Fitzpatrick were tops on our board I'd be fine if we drafted them.
DreadNaught

Postby Super K » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:53 am

Take it for what it's worth coming from a Noles fan, but imo James has been much more sizzle than steak...

I'd prefer us to stay away..
Super K

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:57 am

Super K wrote:Take it for what it's worth coming from a Noles fan, but imo James has been much more sizzle than steak...

I've been reluctant to say so, but I agree. He seems to run hot and cold. Can make a splash play then turn around and make a derp play.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:22 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Super K wrote:Take it for what it's worth coming from a Noles fan, but imo James has been much more sizzle than steak...

I've been reluctant to say so, but I agree. He seems to run hot and cold. Can make a splash play then turn around and make a derp play.

My concern with Derwin is whether he can cover. He's a unique athlete that would be a difference maker in near the LOS. But is he more Mark Barron or Jamal Adams? IF he's more of Barron type player that lowers his value imo. Don't get me wrong, Barron is heck of defender when used correctly but he's not a top 10 pick as an OLB when stud undersized OLBs are found on day 2 every year and we don't really have a need there with our current core of LBs.

That's why I prefer Fitzpatrick over James for the NFL. If I'm drafting a Safety in the top 10-15 overall I want an Earl Thomas/Eric Berry type that can match up in m2m coverage if asked while also physical enough to attack the LOS to support the run defense (unlike Conte).

Justin Evans and Fitzpatrick would be a Safety pair for any DC and immensely help our pass defense.

I still like Chubb as the best prospect for the Bucs based on talent and need, but wouldn't be upset with Fitzpatrick at all.
DreadNaught

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:49 pm

Alpha wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:What an angry little tranny you are, jeez.

Not so much, "angry" as "tired" of seeing your ignorant bullshit.

If you actually decided to watch a game, you might have noticed that our secondary sucks out loud. Thus, drafting an elite CB/S prospect wouldn't be considered a "luxury" pick by anyone. Other than your dumb self, of course.

Now...how does it feel knowing that a tranny knows more about this team than you. Schmuck.

Don't feel too bad, dummy. You do provide some comic relief around hese parts...so you have that going for you. Which is nice.

Don't get your panties tied in a bunch. The men here are trying to discuss the draft...
real bucs fan

Postby mdb1958 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:15 pm

RBS, me want running back is growing old.
mdb1958

Postby Deja Entendu » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:39 pm

I'm going against Ryan, Julio Jones, and Lutz in my first round fantasy match up. This game makes me nervous, so I'm staying away from it.

As for real football, I don't care and hope they tie.
Deja Entendu

Postby Alpha » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:17 am

DreadNaught wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:I've been reluctant to say so, but I agree. He seems to run hot and cold. Can make a splash play then turn around and make a derp play.

My concern with Derwin is whether he can cover. He's a unique athlete that would be a difference maker in near the LOS. But is he more Mark Barron or Jamal Adams? IF he's more of Barron type player that lowers his value imo. Don't get me wrong, Barron is heck of defender when used correctly but he's not a top 10 pick as an OLB when stud undersized OLBs are found on day 2 every year and we don't really have a need there with our current core of LBs.

That's why I prefer Fitzpatrick over James for the NFL. If I'm drafting a Safety in the top 10-15 overall I want an Earl Thomas/Eric Berry type that can match up in m2m coverage if asked while also physical enough to attack the LOS to support the run defense (unlike Conte).

Justin Evans and Fitzpatrick would be a Safety pair for any DC and immensely help our pass defense.

I still like Chubb as the best prospect for the Bucs based on talent and need, but wouldn't be upset with Fitzpatrick at all.

I'm sure we'd all prefer to draft HoF safety's if given the choice. Good call there. :roll: Fitz and James play different positions. James is a SS. He's not a cover guy. Fitz is a FS/CB. Yeah...I'd take Fitz over James but I'm assuming Fitz is gone.

IF we're picking at 7-8 Chubb is long gone as well.

The question I have is WHERE do we see Evans playing? He's been making Int's as a FS...but I was thinking we were looking at him as a SS. IF he's our SS, then my opinion changes...he's just clearly more productive at FS. It SEEMS that we're playing him at both S spots this year. I haven't watched film to know for sure...maybe one of y'all have?

You have the Cleveland Browns mentality: We got burned drafting this position before, therefore we should not draft it now. Obviously substitute Safety for QB but you get the point.

We are talent deficient at EVERY defensive position besides LB. Drafting there wouldn't suck. Regardless of position. I'll leave it to the coaching staff to make the pieces fit.

EDIT: And it's VERY likely you aren't getting Fitz OR James at 10-15.
Alpha

Postby Brazen331 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:38 am

We are not looking at Evans at SS or I hope we arn’t. Sure, he is a big hitter but a shitty tackler who needs much development in this area. Even his best highlight where he lit up Derrick Henry in college was a shitty effort.

He got lucky; 9 times out of 10 he bounces right off Henry, hurtling in like that and turning your head and basically hitting him with your back. The result looked Atwater-like but F for form.

That’s why I would prefer James doing the hybrid thing mucking it up with these LBs we have. Evans has the range, speed and athleticism; you drafted him high and I don’t think he can benefit your team at any position other than FS.

I’m fine with Fitzpatrick if the team thinks he is better but at CB.
Brazen331

PreviousNext

Return to College Football/Draft Talk