Conference Champion Preseason Picks

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Re: Conference Champion Preseason Picks

Postby Kress » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:22 am

Yeah, even the Clemson homer in me knows that 'Bama would spank them. Hard.
Kress

Postby Selmon Rules » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:20 pm

Alpha wrote:
Kress wrote:College football is awesome. Alabama and Georgia, if they have a close game, could both go. Are you seriously going to think that a 1 loss Alabama team isn't the best? Likewise, if Clemson wins the ACC they're likely in. They will have beaten Auburn, Louisville, VT, NC State, FSU, and ultimately Miami. Then what? Wisconsin?

Clemson is waaay behind the 8 ball here. Not to mention...they could easily **** the bed again. NC State seems to be the best team in that half of the conference. Could a 1-loss, conference champion Clemson make the final 4? Absolutely. They most likely would. Their bigger obstacle is playing in the championship game to begin with.

I think it's HIGHLY unlikely that one conference sends 2 schools. It would take a LOT more than UGA/Bama playing a really tight game. it would take MULTIPLE conferences having weak, multi-loss conference champions and ND not winning out. And probably other factors as well (principally, the SEC not being all that good outside of UGA and Bama).

The "Final 4 Committee" has shown that they tend to favor conference champions and not the "best 4 teams" in the country.

I would think the same about the committee favoring champions except for the unexplainable choice of Ohio State last year, not a big 10 fan but they didn't even play in their championship game did they??
Sig currently being held hostage by Photobucket, will return next fall
Selmon Rules

Postby Super K » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:07 pm

Selmon Rules wrote:
Alpha wrote:
Clemson is waaay behind the 8 ball here. Not to mention...they could easily **** the bed again. NC State seems to be the best team in that half of the conference. Could a 1-loss, conference champion Clemson make the final 4? Absolutely. They most likely would. Their bigger obstacle is playing in the championship game to begin with.

I think it's HIGHLY unlikely that one conference sends 2 schools. It would take a LOT more than UGA/Bama playing a really tight game. it would take MULTIPLE conferences having weak, multi-loss conference champions and ND not winning out. And probably other factors as well (principally, the SEC not being all that good outside of UGA and Bama).

The "Final 4 Committee" has shown that they tend to favor conference champions and not the "best 4 teams" in the country.

I would think the same about the committee favoring champions except for the unexplainable choice of Ohio State last year, not a big 10 fan but they didn't even play in their championship game did they??

Nope, they did not..
Super K

Postby Alpha » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:30 am

Selmon Rules wrote:
Alpha wrote:

Nope.

However the instances where the committee has shown favoritism to conference champions far and away excuses that one out-layer.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:05 am

Sucks...but my pre-season picks were:

Washington
Miami
Alabama
Wisconsin

My teams are still there.

Are yours?
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:12 am

Alpha wrote:Sucks...but my pre-season picks were:

Washington
Miami
Alabama
Wisconsin

My teams are still there.

Are yours?

How ya like me know?

Long way to go but my teams are clearing their hurdles.

Was/WAZU looks like it's for the title game

Clemson/Miami is a done deal.

Bama is Bama

Wis has Mich at home and then whoever in the title game.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:22 am

Kress wrote:College football is awesome. Alabama and Georgia, if they have a close game, could both go. Are you seriously going to think that a 1 loss Alabama team isn't the best? Likewise, if Clemson wins the ACC they're likely in. They will have beaten Auburn, Louisville, VT, NC State, FSU, and ultimately Miami. Then what? Wisconsin?

This.

I'm a HUGE Clemson fan until the championship game.

Miami and Clemson need to win out...and let the best team represent the ACC in the Final 4.

Before Va. Tech, I gave Miami ZERO chance at beating ND OR CLEM.

Diaz has the D rolling...and Clemson might've taken notice.
Alpha

Postby Kress » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:18 am

The Clemson Miami game might end I a nil-nil tie. Granted that I haven't watched much Miami, but I've heard and seen highlights of the hype.

I have watched every Clemson game, obviously, and the defense is ferocious. That d-line is nuts. But then there is the secondary. They have an absolute stud of a corner on one side with Alexander, and then a damn punt returner/receiver in McCloud playing the other. I love the guy on offense and special teams, but ****. Not his role.

They will smother the crap out of you for 30 minutes with that line, and then randomly let a guy run wide open for a 70-yard 6. Frustrating as hell.

But I'm rambling now.....
Kress

Postby Alpha » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:46 am

Kress wrote:The Clemson Miami game might end I a nil-nil tie. Granted that I haven't watched much Miami, but I've heard and seen highlights of the hype.

I have watched every Clemson game, obviously, and the defense is ferocious. That d-line is nuts. But then there is the secondary. They have an absolute stud of a corner on one side with Alexander, and then a damn punt returner/receiver in McCloud playing the other. I love the guy on offense and special teams, but ****. Not his role.

They will smother the crap out of you for 30 minutes with that line, and then randomly let a guy run wide open for a 70-yard 6. Frustrating as hell.

But I'm rambling now.....

Miami has NO chance. NONE.

Clemson wins by 30. Easily. Maybe more.

Miami will be lucky to get 3. They have a pretty good kicker so I'll give Miami 3. That's fair. Maybe something like 55-3.

Miami's defense sucks as well. Jesus...they can't stop ANYONE. I'd be shocked if Clemson doesn't score a TD every time they have the ball.

Clemson is CLEARLY unbeatable.

If only Miami were as good as Syracuse, we'd have a shot.

Get the excuses ready...
Alpha

Previous

Return to College Football/Draft Talk