Conference Champion Preseason Picks

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Conference Champion Preseason Picks

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:33 am

Get your picks in. It's only 44 days until FSU and Bama go at it.

PAC-12

The Huskies could not get anything done against Alabama in the playoff last year and now they will be without some very good talent they sent to the draft but I think they reload and take the PAC-12 again. If anyone in the conference can knock them off, it'll be USC who beat U-Dub last year head to head.

BIG-12

There are some good teams in the Big 12 that could give the Sooners fits like Okie State, Texas, and West Virginia. But Bob Stoops built too good a program for it to collapse in mere months. I heard someone this morning call WVU a dark horse to win it's first Big 12 title on the arm of former Gator Will Grier. That's great and all, but WVU has never beaten Oklahoma since joining the Big-12 and I don't see it happening this season.

AAC

The Bulls are a sexy pick right now due to the arrival of Charlie Strong as Head Coach. They have to get past defending champions Temple and they have to get past Houston and they could also face a big challenge if Memphis is there in the title game. (Don't sleep on Memphis. Lot of talent there.) College playoff? No way. But there could be a lot of good football in the the AAC this year. BTW. during AAC media day they claimed this conference should be part of the "Power 6".

B1G

UPSET TIME! Most people take it for granted the the Buckeyes will roll every year these days, but Penn State is hungry. They have Michigan and Ohio State back to back in October and both games are on the road. When they win them both the college football universe will have no choice but to give the Nittany Lions the respect they are demanding.

SEC

It's really not fair. The SEC is beginning to get weak. Auburn has been anointed the team to challenge Bama's dominance this year and the Iron Bowl is always a must-see game. But I need to see what Auburn can do @ Texas A&M and @ LSU before I get on that hype train. In the once dominant SEC East, there's a lot of "meh" teams. Florida, Georgia, Missouri all middling teams that can get in the Top 25, but there's nothing to suggest any of them could stand toe to toe with Alabama and come out with a win.

ACC

Gear up, Seminole faithful because you're about to have a really fun season. Florida State is just too doggone talented to not take their 19th conference championship this year and unfortunately for the rest of us that means we have to listen to that god awful racket you call the tomahawk chop for hours and hours this fall. Clemson is taking a step back this season to reload so it's a prime opportunity for the Noles to capitalize. Biggest obstacle? Probably Miami so I hope to hell they have a good kicker in Tallahassee this year because you know how it goes when both FSU and Miami get together with something on the line. IF and that is a big IF they can stun Alabama in 44 short days, then you obviously have National title contending team here.

Give me San Diego state for the Mountain West

Give me Appalachian State in the Sun Belt

Give me Louisiana Tech in C-USA

Give me Western Michigan in the MAC
Mountaineer Buc

Re: Conference Champion Preseason Picks

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:23 am

Those seem good to me.

I can't wait for Sept. 2nd. It's going to be a great day of CFB!

I actually think the loser of the FSU-Bama game can and will make it to the playoff assuming they win out from there and thus are a 1-loss conference champ.
DreadNaught

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:52 am

DreadNaught wrote:Those seem good to me.

I can't wait for Sept. 2nd. It's going to be a great day of CFB!

I actually think the loser of the FSU-Bama game can and will make it to the playoff assuming they win out from there and thus are a 1-loss conference champ.

That can totally happen. Honsetly, I hope FSU/Bama is a really close game that sets up a rematch for all the marbles.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:49 pm

Sporting News top 25 from this week. Bolded my Conference picks.

Alabama
USC <---------they're good, but #2?
Ohio State
Florida State
Clemson <------No way
Penn State
Oklahoma
Washington
Michigan
Georgia
Auburn
Louisville
Wisconsin
LSU
Florida
Oklahoma State
Kansas State
Stanford
Miami
West Virginia
Texas
South Florida
Washington State
Pittsburgh
Tennessee
Mountaineer Buc

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:04 pm

4 Florida teams in the top 25.

There are whispers about USF having the potential to crash the playoff, or atleast get a nice bowl. They return alot of good players and their schedule lines up nice.

Personally I don't think their schedule is tough enough to warrant a spot in the final 4 since they could very possibly not play a single ranked team. I've never bought the argument in CFB that a team's weak SOS shouldn't penalize them. If you want to compete for a title and play in a non-P5 conf than you better schedule some decent P5 opponents if you want to be considered.
DreadNaught

Postby Buc2 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:18 pm

DreadNaught wrote:4 Florida teams in the top 25.

There are whispers about USF having the potential to crash the playoff, or atleast get a nice bowl. They return alot of good players and their schedule lines up nice.

Personally I don't think their schedule is tough enough to warrant a spot in the final 4 since they could very possibly not play a single ranked team. I've never bought the argument in CFB that a team's weak SOS shouldn't penalize them. If you want to compete for a title and play in a non-P5 conf than you better schedule some decent P5 opponents if you want to be considered.

If USF can run the table and win their conference, I could easily see them close to top 10. I don't think they crack the top 10 even if they did run the table because of their schedule. While you, me and many others may feel like SOS shouldn't penalize a team, the reality is that it does.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:26 pm

Buc2 wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:4 Florida teams in the top 25.

If USF can run the table and win their conference, I could easily see them close to top 10. I don't think they crack the top 10 even if they did run the table because of their schedule. While you, me and many others may feel like SOS shouldn't penalize a team, the reality is that it does.

I do think a weak SOS should penalize a team. I used a double negative in my post which made it more confusing than it could've been.

I think USF (or any non-P5 team) that goes undeafeated while NOT playing ANY ranked teams shouldn't be considered for the playoff. I'm fine with them going to nice bowl game to play a P5 team that just missed out on the playoff. But playing a bunch of no-name teams seems like gaming the system and is bad for the sport. We should encourage non-conf scheduling, not reward teams that don't.

UF-Mich and FSU-Bama are great examples of this. Let's encourage a system that creates more early season match-ups like this before CFB gets into their conference schedules.
DreadNaught

Postby Super K » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:58 pm

I like your picks MB..the only 2 changes I'd make are:

Big 12 OSU Cowboys
Big 10 THE Ohio State

My Noles playing Bama opening weekend has me more than squeamish...while the loser may still make the playoffs as a 1 loss conference champ I see the outcome either being FSU close or Bama big..really BIG..

Our OL better damn well be ready or it'll be a massacre..
Super K

Postby Alpha » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:10 pm

I like a lot of your selections MB.

We disagree on:

Big 10 (or whatever they're called now)

No disrespect to PSU...they're going to be a very good team...but @Mich and @OSU in consecutive weeks is too much to ask of ANYONE. This could be one of those years where this conference has 3 or 4 teams with 1 or 2 losses...do they have a championship game? I'll take the team with the "easiest" schedule. WISCONSIN.

Out of conference schedule is WEAK. No OSU or PSU. Home against Michigan. Toughie against Nebraska (on the road). They have the easiest road and are always a tough out.

ACC

Louisville

Outside of FSU, the only serious contender with a returning QB...and a pretty damn good one. I'm not sold on the kid at FSU. At all. Also...too many sleepers in this conference. Clemson and Miami are a QB away from being as talented as any team in the nation. Honestly...there should be no "favorite" as any of these 4 teams could win it.

USF

I agree they are the class of the AAC (for what it's worth) but they MUST run the schedule and hope there is a 2 loss "major conference" team trying to get in. We've been down this road before with USF.

And whoever said the AAC should be a "major conference" should be fired. Just stop with that foolishness.
Alpha

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:51 pm

BIG 10:

MAC:

Rest: Who cares
Zarniwoop

Postby Phantom Phenom » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:28 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:BIG 10:

MAC:

Rest: Who cares

Homer
Phantom Phenom

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:48 pm

Absolutely

I don't give a damn about the whole state of michigan
The whole state of Michigan
The whole state of Michigan

I don't give a damn about the whole state of Michigan
Cause I'm from O- Hi-O
Zarniwoop

Postby Cheb » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:28 pm

Big-10: Ohio State
Pac-12: Washington

I don't follow the other conferences closely enough to have a well informed opinion at this stage.

Michigan will win eight or nine games. We lost a ton of experience last year.
Cheb

Postby MJW » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:49 am

I like Oklahoma to roll in the Big 12.
I think my Huskers shock the Badgers faithful and win the Big Ten West, only to lose to OSU by 163 points in the title game.
The Noles are loaded again and should win the conference. Let's say they beat Va Tech.
I'll take Bama over the Gators in the SEC.
I like this UCLA team. I think they'll edge out the Trojans but lose to the Huskies in the title game.

National Title, Bama over Seminoles.

Oh, and Heisman, I like Francis to edge out Darnold, Barkley, and Baker Mayfield.
MJW

Postby Alpha » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:25 am

Just a few things to remember:

1) I love how everyone is sleeping on Louisville. I'm pretty sure they have the returning Heisman Trophy winner at QB. It's pretty funny how y'all are just regurgitating FSU in the ACC. They could easily finish 4th.

2) Washington. They aren't a "flash in the pan". Doug Pederson is legit. He was the guy who was slapping around Oklahoma a few years back in the Fiesta Bowl with Boise F-ing State. The guy recruits like a champ. They are re-loading.

3) I'm not saying Wisconsin is the best team in the Big 19/10/13...whatever...but they have BY FAR, the easiest schedule in that conference. And MJ's homer-ism aside...they win @Nebraska and they might not lose a game all year. Nebraska...@Oregon. @ PSU. Home against Wisconsin and OSU. They aren't world-beaters to begin with but their schedule is pretty tough.

4) Don't sleep on Miami. They were an eyebrow away from winning 11 last year. Richt is probably a year away from playing for a National Title but I watched him for YEARS at UGA. They'll win 10 games this year...and for many years to come. Manny Diaz is one of the top defensive coaches in the country. If they have a QB that is decent...they're gonna cause problems.
Alpha

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:59 am

Zarniwoop wrote:Cause I'm from O- Hi-O

I hear it's a great place to be from.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:04 am

Alpha wrote:Just a few things to remember:

3) I'm not saying Wisconsin is the best team in the Big 19/10/13...whatever...but they have BY FAR, the easiest schedule in that conference. And MJ's homer-ism aside...they win @Nebraska and they might not lose a game all year. Nebraska...@Oregon. @ PSU. Home against Wisconsin and OSU. They aren't world-beaters to begin with but their schedule is pretty tough.

I had a lot of fun watching Wisconsin last season. They got an awesome Tight End named Troy Fumugalli who could get himself drafted in the early 2nd round and that program looks to produce one or two top O-line prospects every year or so.

Don't sleep on Iowa either. They are bringing back most of their defense and if memory serves, their ENTIRE O-line.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Noles1724 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:28 am

Alpha wrote:I like a lot of your selections MB.

I'm not sold on the kid at FSU. At all. Also...

I wasn't either the start of last year, but boy did he gain my trust. He's probably the toughest QB in the NCAA and it might not even be close.. he's simply tough as nails and comes right back without flinching. FSU's season resides on the shoulders (actually legs) of Aikers. If he's able to live up to the hype, the O is going to filthy.
Noles1724

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:33 am

Noles1724 wrote:

I wasn't either the start of last year, but boy did he gain my trust. He's probably the toughest QB in the NCAA and it might not even be close.. he's simply tough as nails and comes right back without flinching. FSU's season resides on the shoulders (actually legs) of Aikers. If he's able to live up to the hype, the O is going to filthy.

It boils down to the Bama and Miami games. They cannot afford to start the season 1-2 and let's not forget what happened last year in Louisville. They could bust just as easily as they could boom this season, but I'm optimistic they can handle the ACC opponents.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Alpha » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:13 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Noles1724 wrote:

It boils down to the Bama and Miami games. They cannot afford to start the season 1-2 and let's not forget what happened last year in Louisville. They could bust just as easily as they could boom this season, but I'm optimistic they can handle the ACC opponents.

Your optimism is noted...but to think they're gonna "handle" Clemson, Louisville and Miami...that's a bit pie in the sky...but while we're at it..."I'm optimistic Clemson can handle the ACC opponents". Pretty much insert a team and it sounds equally ridiculous.

FSU could lose 3 or 4 games this year...and still be a damn good team.
Alpha

Postby HamBone » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:09 pm

Noles1724 wrote:

He certainly is tough as all get out...but, the o line has to get better. No way completes the season if he takes hits like last season.
HamBone

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:06 pm

Alpha wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:

Your optimism is noted...but to think they're gonna "handle" Clemson, Louisville and Miami...that's a bit pie in the sky...but while we're at it..."I'm optimistic Clemson can handle the ACC opponents". Pretty much insert a team and it sounds equally ridiculous.

FSU could lose 3 or 4 games this year...and still be a damn good team.

If I'm an FSU fan (eeww), Clemson doesn't scare me like they did last year and I'm looking for payback on Louisville. I think the FSU Miami game will ultimately decide the conference. I'm not convinced the Canes are making that step yet, but I do admit that they could.

I think Clemson is waaaay overhyped right now in terms of polling. They lost too much talent to the draft and they are young. Their season won't be a disaster, but it will take a step back I think.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:32 pm

And we all know who is going to win the title

12 time national champions....your Mount Union Purple Raiders

Zarniwoop

Postby Buc2 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:57 pm

Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:03 pm

Mountaineer Buc

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:04 pm

aaaaaand one more for grad school...

Mountaineer Buc

Postby Alpha » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:37 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
I think Clemson is waaaay overhyped right now in terms of polling. They lost too much talent to the draft and they are young. Their season won't be a disaster, but it will take a step back I think.

And the homer-ism shows. Pre-season polling doesn't mean ****. It's pretty much based on last year's finish anyway.

Clemson is "over-hyped" for a reason. They are LOADED. If they find a QB who is decent (and there is no reason to believe they won't), they'll be damn good.

YOU can want "payback" all you like. I remember FSU wanting payback against Miami for years...and it didn't do them a damn bit of good. At home or on the road. I was at the games. It's nice to want things but a good team is a good team...and Clemson, Louisville and Miami are ALL going to be good teams.

@ Duke. VS. Louisville. @ Boston College. Beat OR Lose to Louisville and the BC game is gonna be a toughie. And Duke is a classic trap game.

FSU isn't without flaws. Until proven otherwise...their O-line sucks balls. Just like those other teams with un-proven QB's...there is no guarantee that the o-line is going to be good. And let's see how your QB develops as a pocket passer. He ain't no Jameis, at this point.

Even IF FSU loses 3 games...it doesn't mean they're a bad team. The schedule plays out as well as can be expected. Alabama and Clemson on the road...and Clemson towards the end of the year, when their new QB has some games under his belt. Louisville and Miami at home.

Then you have the Gaytors at the end of the year. @ Gainesville. IF they find a QB, they're gonna be tough with that defense.

I hope it works out for you this year because next year is gonna suck for FSU. Miami and Louisville on the road...and they won't be starting rookie QB's. Ouch.

FSU fans are like Alabama fans. Y'all like to think you've always been good and are an automatic for the national title. Y'all forget quickly that wasn't always the case. And it won't be the case in the future. It's cyclical, my friend. Enjoy the ride because it won't last forever.
Alpha

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:38 am

B-but I'm not an FSU fan.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Super K » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:34 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:B-but I'm not an FSU fan.

Alpha is so anti-Nole it fogs his windshield pretty damn good...

He's like a reverse Homer...
Super K

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:02 am

Super K wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:B-but I'm not an FSU fan.

Alpha is so anti-Nole it fogs his windshield pretty damn good...

He's like a reverse Homer...

Yeah, but he KNOWS I'm not an FSU fan.

I believe my cross dressing buddy drunk posted me.
Mountaineer Buc

Next

Return to College Football/Draft Talk