What would your draft have been?

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
What would your draft have been?

Postby threadkiller » Tue May 02, 2017 9:35 am

I would not have made either of our trades and will be taking 7 players from our original picks.

19) Same. Unlike last draft, Jason adjusted to unexpected talent being available and we benefited with one of the best value picks in the first round for me. OJ might well be the best value based on how clean of a prospect he showed to be.

50) Dion Dawkins, G/T, 6'4" 314, Temple. Mauler who I would start inside at guard but think is likely to end up at RT. Move out when Dot needs replacing. Would have been a day 1 starter inside and a significant upgrade to our run blocking (and pass, imo).

84) Same. The other pick Jason nailed for me. Love the player and absolutely love the value here.

125) Desmond King, S, 5'10" 201, Iowa. I mocked Bucky Hodges here, and I would love the value, but Desmond King to still be available. What I saw of his struggles, outside deep against bigger receivers, is eliminated with a move to FS. My version of this year's Ryan Smith pick. I saw a lot of football qualities I like in King and he can cut his teeth behind Tandy.

162) Bucky Hodges, TE, 6'6" 257, Virginia Tech. I can't understand how he lasted as long as he did draft night. The tape shows an extremely physical receiver who moves exceptionally well for his massive frame and seems to catch pretty naturally. I have to wonder if there are other flags I don't know about him. Watching him dominate Pitt lining up as an outside receiver sold me. I think we use him as a redzone and move/special package player while he develops. I would put him outside, opposite Mike in the redzone. With OJ and Cam in 12 personnel and say "**** you, cover that."

204) Elijah Lee, LB, 6'3" 228, Kansas State. Mocked him here and he was available. Watch him make the Vikings and play early for them. I think he has starting NFL LB talent, but granted he is not the edge setter we went for in the draft.

237) Jarron Jones, DT, 6'6" 316, Norte Dame. My developmental OT from my mock got snatched up earlier in the 7th. So I'd go flier on Jones who signed UDFA with the Giants. Massive frame. Huge wingspan and hands. Always injured and lazy, watch his 2016 Miami tape. Beastly talent. Doubt he turns it on, and probably fits 3-4 DE if anything, but massive upside.
threadkiller

Re: What would your draft have been?

Postby Cheb » Tue May 02, 2017 9:56 am

Is this with the benefit of perfect hindsight or a legitimate story of who we would have picked at the time?
Cheb

Postby threadkiller » Tue May 02, 2017 10:02 am

I definitely would have taken Dawkins at 50, but King @ 125 was with the benefit of thinking about it. I was at work Saturday, so I can't honestly say what I would have thought in real time if looking at it. Honestly, I may well have taken Hodges in the 4th, but did like King and didn't expect him to go so late. Lee was my mock in the 6th. The Jones pick was 100% after the fact, looking at who was available. I had no knowledge of him prior to draft weekend.
threadkiller

Postby real bucs fan » Tue May 02, 2017 10:30 am

19. OJ Howard, TE. He was my #2 offensive player in this draft, top 10 overall, and BPA at a major position of need. We saw how terrible the TE group was when Brate hurt his back, and bringing in a guy like Howard to do what ASJ was supposed and allow us to run 12 personel? Perfection.

50. Obi Melifonwu, S. I'd have tried my best to trade up for Dalvin Cook (hard to forecast that), but Obi Melifonwu, Dion Dawkins, D'Onta Foreman, and JuJu Smith-Shuster would be the guys I'd have selected from at 50, but strictly going from my board, I'd have taken Melifonwu, who I had as a borderline first rounder- plus the safety run before him would push me to this pick as well, not to mention seeing the RBs slide.

84. D'Onta Foreman, RB. I loved the Godwin pick, but with no RB had yet, no way do I pass on Foreman who was very much in the mix at 50. He can be the man for us while Doug is suspended and you hope he takes the job and runs with it.

125. Chad Hansen, WR. I'd also have not traded up for Beckwith, so having passed on Godwin for Foreman in round 3, I'd have addressed the WR position with this selection.

162. Issac Asiata, OG. I had Asiata as a Day 2 guy so to get him in the 5th would be a major steal. He'd probably come in and win that LG spot and help pave holes for Foreman right away.

204. Elijah Qualls, DT. Best defensive player available here after going mostly offence to this point. He can be groomed to play the nose, and is much more nimble than he gets credit for.

237. Isaiah Ford, WR. He actually went to this pick, and he'd be strict BPA for me here and would give us more depth at WR. I likes him as a mid-rounder.

Priority UDFAs:
Conor Harris, LB. I think he makes it and has a long career as a STer with upside as a 2 down run stuffer.
David Jones, S. Pats signed him and I like his upside.
real bucs fan

Postby threadkiller » Tue May 02, 2017 10:46 am

I really liked Asiata's value in the 5th as well, rbf. I think he could have challenged our guards for a starting spot immediately.
threadkiller

Postby Naismith » Tue May 02, 2017 3:56 pm

threadkiller wrote:162) Bucky Hodges, TE, 6'6" 257, Virginia Tech. I can't understand how he lasted as long as he did draft night.

One of my buddies I was watching the draft with said someone tweeted that it was an off field issue but I didn't look for the tweet since the Bucs didn't take him and, thus, he was dead to me.
Naismith

Postby MJW » Tue May 02, 2017 4:57 pm

19) Ryan Ramczyk. I am loving OJ Howard more and more. Ram is a franchise left tackle, though, and he would have allowed us to move Donovan Smith to Kevin Pamphile's spot. Our OL would have potentially been one of the best young groups in the league, and set at 4 spots (assuming contract extensions) for the next half-decade.

50) Teez Tabor. Oh, he doesn't run well in shorts? The horror. He's going to make a bunch of teams (including, maybe, us) feel silly. With his old Gator-mate VHIII, we would have had one of the best young corner duos in the league.

84) Carl Lawson. He's a one-trick pony, but it's a cool trick. We could have had a 3rd down set with him and Spence at end, with McCoy and Ayers inside. That would have been sweet. That said, I'm beginning to love the Godwin pick.

125) Brian Hill. Been a fan of us for a long time. I'm actually glad he went to Atlanta, where he's buried. If he'd gone to Carolina, he'd be the co-starter by 2018.

162) Nate Peterman. As someone pointed out during draft coverage, good backup QBs are going for $7 mil a year now. Here's a perfect - PERFECT - one, for pennies. And if we showcased him (during Jameis blowouts, of course) I'm confident he could get flipped down the road.

204) Malachi Dupree. A developmental outside receiver, he could have grown into a solid backup behind Evans. I still can't believe how late he went.

223) Joe Mathis. I think he could be a special teams stud and eventually, a viable nickel rusher and SAM.
MJW

Postby Doctor » Tue May 02, 2017 10:41 pm

19) Howard

41) *Trade #50 and #125 to Bengals for #41* Dalvin Cook

84) Chris Goodwin

162) Issac Asiata

204) Isaiah Ford

If I can't trade up.

19) Howard
50) Ju Ju Smith
84) D'onta Foreman
125) Julie'n Davenport'
162) Isaac Asiata
204) Isiah Ford
Doctor

Postby Agent Orange » Wed May 10, 2017 12:01 am

I always like these. Let me start off by saying I really liked our draft. I think we are headed in the right direction now. This Gives me a place to make the after draft would have picks so I can refer back to them later. I am going to go with the picks they made with the trades version.

1. OJ Howard TE- This is the safe pick. Unless you go super fan favorite Dalvin Cook here there is no other choice.

2. Obi Melifanwu DB- I was surprised we went with Evans here. Melifanwu may be one of the steals of this draft.

3. Chris Godwin WR- I felt like we got a steal in the 3rd round. Was shocked he was still available.

3. Marlon Mack RB- We traded up here to the bottom of the 3rd. While I don't have a problem with bringing in another top talent LB. My thought here was we should have gone with Marlon Mack. He was still available at the end of the 3rd round. We have no game breaking RBs. Imagine with the weapons we have now what we could have done with Mack.

5. Isaac Asiata OG- We need help on both lines. Since we did not get any Tackle help it would be nice to get some interior line help. Atiata can play both guard positions and center if needed.

7. Ben Boulware LB- This is where I go LB. He will start off on special teams and if he does well maybe gets some playing time at LB. Guys like him who don't have the measurables and fall in the draft tend to play with a chip on their shoulders.
Agent Orange

Postby Cheb » Wed May 10, 2017 9:23 am

First round - OJ Howard, TE. Easiest no-brainer here.
Second round - Ethan Pocic, OL. Swiss army lineman, great dude, excellent player, will start somewhere.
Third round A - Chris Godwin, WR. Love this prospect, great value.
Third round B - Samaje Perine, RB. I don't much like the Beckwith pick, so I went runningback instead. I like Perine.
Fifth round - Nathan Peterman, QB. The lack of QB depth makes me nervous. Peterman would help me feel better.
Seventh round - Josh Carraway, DE/LB. I'm surprised he lasted this long. I could coach him up.

Had we not traded up, I would have had to drop Perine sadly. Instead, I get to take Desmond King as a safety in the fourth and Jeremiah Ledbetter in the sixth. So:

1 - OJ Howard, TE
2 - Ethan Pocic, OL
3 - Chris Godwin, WR
4 - Desmond King, S
5 - Nathan Peterman, QB
6 - Jeremiah Ledbetter, DT/DE
7 - Josh Carraway, DE/LB
Cheb

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed May 10, 2017 4:21 pm

King in the fourth is excellent value. Who got him? I'm brain farting.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Nano » Wed May 10, 2017 4:31 pm

Los Angeles Chargers
Nano

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed May 10, 2017 4:45 pm

Nano wrote:Los Angeles Chargers

Thank you.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby beardmcdoug » Wed May 10, 2017 5:48 pm

1. OJ Howard

2. Justin Evans

3. Chris Godwin

3. Kendell Beckwith

5. Jeremy McNichols

7. Stevie Tu'Ikolovatu
beardmcdoug

Postby Super K » Wed May 10, 2017 5:58 pm

1. Howard
2. Feeney
3A. Godwin
3B. Perine
5. Xavier Woods
7.Chad Kelly
Super K

Postby threadkiller » Wed May 10, 2017 11:50 pm

Doctor wrote:19) Howard

84) Chris Goodwin

162) Issac Asiata

204) Isaiah Ford

If I can't trade up.

19) Howard
50) Ju Ju Smith
84) D'onta Foreman
125) Julie'n Davenport'
162) Isaac Asiata
204) Isiah Ford

I think 48 and 128 would win out for the Vikings, but you could have it if you threw in 204. Would you have done that for Cook? As much as I hate trying for quality over quantity, Howard/Cook/Godwin would have been sick.
threadkiller

Postby Doctor » Thu May 11, 2017 11:54 am

threadkiller wrote:
Doctor wrote:19) Howard

84) Chris Goodwin

162) Issac Asiata

204) Isaiah Ford

If I can't trade up.

19) Howard
50) Ju Ju Smith
84) D'onta Foreman
125) Julie'n Davenport'
162) Isaac Asiata
204) Isiah Ford

I think 48 and 128 would win out for the Vikings, but you could have it if you threw in 204. Would you have done that for Cook? As much as I hate trying for quality over quantity, Howard/Cook/Godwin would have been sick.

It would already beat out the Vikings, so no need. But if asking all the same, yeah, sure, why not.
Doctor

Postby threadkiller » Thu May 11, 2017 12:22 pm

You think the Bengals would take 50 + 125 over 48 + 128? I would assume 2 slots in the 2nd would be more valuable than 3 in the 4th.
threadkiller

Postby Teitan » Thu May 11, 2017 12:27 pm

threadkiller wrote:As much as I hate trying for quality over quantity.

Wait, you are against quality over quantity?
Teitan

Postby threadkiller » Thu May 11, 2017 12:33 pm

Very much so. I think it's a terrible strategy over time. I don't believe anyone can project these players well enough to truely draft quality.
threadkiller

Postby Doctor » Fri May 12, 2017 9:11 am

threadkiller wrote:You think the Bengals would take 50 + 125 over 48 + 128? I would assume 2 slots in the 2nd would be more valuable than 3 in the 4th.

You're right. Throw in that 204.
Doctor

Postby threadkiller » Fri May 12, 2017 11:54 am

I'm confused because it looks like you already factored in the 7th. 204 was our 6th round pick and I don't see where you used our 7th now. You only took 5 guys, so you should have been able to get those 5. Unless 237 wouldn't move the needle above what the Vikings gave up. Your 5 players would have been a great draft for me, even though I hate taking that few players.
threadkiller

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri May 12, 2017 3:04 pm

Going to do this based on who was available per round as though I were on the clock.

1st. OJ. Too obvious.

2nd. Ethan Pocic. If I were the GM, that run on DB's would have fucked me up. I would have taken Pocic knowing that my interior line would be pretty doggone solid.

3rd. Godwin was pretty obvious. I'd have hesitated and been tempted to go for Kareem Hunt. Thinking I could have scooped up Josh Reynolds later. If I had traded up to 107, it wouldn't have been to take Beckwith. It would have been to take Perine.

5th. Keion Adams OLB, Michigan. Would have had my heart set on getting my SAM. Beckwith would likely have been gone by this pick so I would have gotten who I thought was the best OLB prospect on the board at the time in that 245lb range.. Adams went to the Steelers in the 7th because the pro guys are better at this than me.

7th. Chad Kelly, QB, Ole Miss at this stage in the draft, I'm willing to take a flyer on a talented knucklehead like Kelly.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Alpha » Thu May 18, 2017 2:14 am

Cheb wrote:First round - OJ Howard, TE. Easiest no-brainer here.
Second round - Ethan Pocic, OL. Swiss army lineman, great dude, excellent player, will start somewhere.
Third round A - Chris Godwin, WR. Love this prospect, great value.
Third round B - Samaje Perine, RB. I don't much like the Beckwith pick, so I went runningback instead. I like Perine.
Fifth round - Nathan Peterman, QB. The lack of QB depth makes me nervous. Peterman would help me feel better.
Seventh round - Josh Carraway, DE/LB. I'm surprised he lasted this long. I could coach him up.

Had we not traded up, I would have had to drop Perine sadly. Instead, I get to take Desmond King as a safety in the fourth and Jeremiah Ledbetter in the sixth. So:

1 - OJ Howard, TE
2 - Ethan Pocic, OL
3 - Chris Godwin, WR
4 - Desmond King, S
5 - Nathan Peterman, QB
6 - Jeremiah Ledbetter, DT/DE
7 - Josh Carraway, DE/LB

Not gonna venture into the 6th/7th round guys but for the first 5 rounds...I pretty much agree here.

OJ and Godwin were gonna happen regardless. Round is inconsequential. Thought we would've gone interior o-line and QB as well. Safety, obviously...which we did.

Where I disagree is the Beckworth pick. Considering what Smith wants to do on defense...and how thin we are at the position...I can't hate the pick. IF he plays this year...

We aren't going to fill every need in one draft. Something is gonna be missing. Here, it was interior o-line. We must really have faith in Sweezy.

I really thought Peterman was gonna be a pick. I guess we're going with our current guy. Wouldn't be shocked if we brought in Cutler if something were to happen to Jameis...
Alpha

Postby Doctor » Thu May 18, 2017 4:44 pm

Given that Marpet is moving to OC and we all have high hopes for him, you guys like Pocic more than Feeney for RG? Really?
Doctor

Postby threadkiller » Thu May 18, 2017 10:06 pm

Clearly I would have taken Dawkins before either. I also think Dawkins would be the best RG of the 3. I would have taken Pocic ahead of Feeney on general ability (I like Pocic at tackle), but think Dan would be the better RG.
threadkiller

Postby Caradoc » Mon May 22, 2017 11:24 pm

Doctor wrote:Given that Marpet is moving to OC and we all have high hopes for him, you guys like Pocic more than Feeney for RG? Really?

I think the feeling is Pocic may eventually play tackle.
Caradoc

Postby MJW » Wed May 24, 2017 12:15 am

Pocic was a pure zone guy for me, using his athleticism, length, and versatility to great effect. If we were going to draft a lineman high, I wanted someone who could drive a blocker onto his *** for his running backs. Pocic looks like a small forward. I wanted a dump truck.
MJW

Postby Alpha » Wed May 24, 2017 1:11 am

Doctor wrote:Given that Marpet is moving to OC and we all have high hopes for him, you guys like Pocic more than Feeney for RG? Really?

Umm...Sweezy played (predominantly) RG in Seattle. Assuming he's playing RG here as well.

Come again?
Alpha

Return to College Football/Draft Talk