In the 2018 NFL Draft the Tampa Bay Buccaneers select....

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Re: In the 2018 NFL Draft the Tampa Bay Buccaneers select...

Postby Doctor » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:21 pm

We may be 7th but we may as well be 3rd with so many QB needy teams in front of us in what is one of the best QB classes to come out. Teams were trading up and tripping all over themselves for last years class. I can't imagine what will happen this year.

If we can land either Fitz/Nelson, we'll be walking away with the top player of the draft.
Doctor

Postby pewterpirates » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:42 pm

I heard something on the radio a little while ago about Irsay being in love with Barkley. Something about “You put [Luck] on that field healed up, and all the sudden you put an Edgerrin James type of player, but bigger, faster, stronger ... and this is going to be a special place to be, and a special place to play.” or something along those lines.

If the Colts take Barkley at 3, there's a chance Chubb could fall to us barring someone trading ahead of us. The Browns won't take a DE. I doubt the Broncos do with their QB/OL needs. And I doubt the Jets do.
pewterpirates

Postby real bucs fan » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:49 pm

I watched the Colts vs Texans game. They are high on Mack. I think they would try and get a bigger back later to complement him, but that first pick will be Chubb or an OL to help keep Luck healthy. Browns at 4 will be Fitz or Barkley I think.

I don't think it's out of the question that they take an OT at 3 if one them rises like say that Williams kid out of Texas.
real bucs fan

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:50 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:
Completely agree.

I like Josh Jackson a lot more.

Me too. You can't teach his length and ball skills. If he tests well at the combine he could move onto my top 7 big board.

I love him. He's 50-50 on whether he's declaring, but he's perfect for what we want to do. I think he'll end up the best pure CB in this draft.
uscbucsfan

Postby pewterpirates » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:00 pm

real bucs fan wrote:I watched the Colts vs Texans game. They are high on Mack. I think they would try and get a bigger back later to complement him, but that first pick will be Chubb or an OL to help keep Luck healthy. Browns at 4 will be Fitz or Barkley I think.

I don't think it's out of the question that they take an OT at 3 if one them rises like say that Williams kid out of Texas.

True. But this is Jim Irsay we're talking about.
pewterpirates

Postby Doctor » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:01 pm

It's a nice draft for CBs too, similar to RBs. Fitz is the clear cut top DB, but there's a lot to like about the guys behind him. Some of whom will be there when we pick again in round 2. That's second rounder may as well be another first with how deep this class is.

With that said, if we can sign a Trumaine Johnson or Malcolm Butler (or Grimes back) and pair Fitz up with Evans in the secondary.... oooooooh. I mean, sure, it won't mean **** without a pass rush which we'd still have to address. But WITH a pass rush, that would be a balling secondary.
Doctor

Postby Brazen331 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:49 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Brazen331 wrote:Since the thread addresses who the Bucs select not who we think they should select, I'm predicting they take Derwin James at 7. This just seems like the range he will be predicted to go after the combine and factoring in Licht's penchant for spending high draft picks on in-state players and the influence that Winston undoubtedly has within this organization I think he is as likely a pick as any.

That makes zero sense. If anything it makes Derrius Guice or Arden Key more likely picks than James due to Licht's penchant for spending high picks on SEC players (3 of 4 1st round picks).

Just my prediction. I see a lot if similarities between this potential pick and the VHIII pick, in-state highly-rated DBs who played HS ball nearby at a 5-star caliber. I think they’ll be interested in pairing him with Evans for a potential dynamic duo. I personally would go with Nelson as he seems like the most sure-fire pro bowler.
Brazen331

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:53 pm

Brazen331 wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:
That makes zero sense. If anything it makes Derrius Guice or Arden Key more likely picks than James due to Licht's penchant for spending high picks on SEC players (3 of 4 1st round picks).

Just my prediction. I see a lot if similarities between this potential pick and the VHIII pick, in-state highly-rated DBs who played HS ball nearby at a 5-star caliber. I think they’ll be interested in pairing him with Evans for a potential dynamic duo. I personally would go with Nelson as he seems like the most sure-fire pro bowler.

Your prediction makes zero sense but whatever floats your boat.
Bootz2004

Postby Brazen331 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:24 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Brazen331 wrote:

Your prediction makes zero sense but whatever floats your boat.

I'm glad. If it made complete sense it most likely wouldn't be a very good prediction of what we will do at 7. I certainly would have never predicted trading up for a K in the 2nd.
Brazen331

Postby real bucs fan » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:37 pm

pewterpirates wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:I watched the Colts vs Texans game. They are high on Mack. I think they would try and get a bigger back later to complement him, but that first pick will be Chubb or an OL to help keep Luck healthy. Browns at 4 will be Fitz or Barkley I think.

True. But this is Jim Irsay we're talking about.

Touché
real bucs fan

Postby Alpha » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:12 pm

A lot of this hinges on whether or not Darnold and Jackson declare.

IF they do...we could see 3/4 QB's go in the top 6...and that's IF someone doesn't fall in love with Mayfield.

There could easily...and probably WILL be (if they all declare)...5 QB's drafted in the 1st round...
Alpha

Postby Teitan » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:17 pm

Smith-Nelson-Marpet-Sweezy-Dotson

It’s sounding so good.
Teitan

Postby Alpha » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:31 pm

Teitan wrote:Smith-Nelson-Marpet-Sweezy-Dotson

It’s sounding so good.

It would sound better if Sweezy wasn't there.

He's not good. Hell...he's barely mediocre.

I still think we move Ali back to RG. Find a center ( a la Atlanta did a few years back with Mack) and draft Nelson. Go with Smith and Dot at tackle. Then put Peyton back there and watch it go...
Alpha

Postby MJW » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:01 am

Alpha wrote:A lot of this hinges on whether or not Darnold and Jackson declare.

IF they do...we could see 3/4 QB's go in the top 6...and that's IF someone doesn't fall in love with Mayfield.

There could easily...and probably WILL be (if they all declare)...5 QB's drafted in the 1st round...

I do not think Lamar Jackson sniffs the high first round. The dude is a poor man's Marcus Mariota, and Mariota's play of late has not made that sound any more attractive. That style of quarterback is not as popular as it was ten years ago, and Jackson needs more work as a passer than most. IMHO he should be a 3rd rounder, but will likely go in the second with so many teams needing young quarterbacks.

I think we'll see Allen, Darnold (if he declares), and Allen all go in the Top Six. If not by teams that are already there, by teams that move up. I think we'll be the 4th team picking a non-quarterback.
MJW

Postby MJW » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:09 am

Doctor wrote:It's a nice draft for CBs too, similar to RBs. Fitz is the clear cut top DB, but there's a lot to like about the guys behind him. Some of whom will be there when we pick again in round 2. That's second rounder may as well be another first with how deep this class is.

With that said, if we can sign a Trumaine Johnson or Malcolm Butler (or Grimes back) and pair Fitz up with Evans in the secondary.... oooooooh. I mean, sure, it won't mean **** without a pass rush which we'd still have to address. But WITH a pass rush, that would be a balling secondary.

I'm not buying Fitzpatrick as the slam-dunk top DB yet. I'm wary of Saban guys in general because he's so good at maxing them out and hiding their shortcomings. I'd also like to be sure he's an NFL corner. The fact that it's a question bothers me some. I don't particularly want a safety with this pick. Like the OJ Howard pick last year, we'd be upgrading a spot that really isn't a problem while ignoring three different spots that are on fire.
MJW

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:16 am

I will admit Fitz scares me some for all those reasons... but the guy is a hell of football player, and I think he shines at the combine... I really hope he can make huge strides in his CB technique in the offseason and emerge as a Jalen Ramsey type of prospect. Him being that gives this draft 4 absolute studs at 4 massive needs (along with Chubb, Barkley, and Nelson). And as you said, that would work perfectly as we'd be guaranteed one of them if 3 QBs go in those first 6 picks (which I think they will)...
real bucs fan

Postby MJW » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:26 am

real bucs fan wrote:I will admit Fitz scares me some for all those reasons... but the guy is a hell of football player, and I think he shines at the combine... I really hope he can make huge strides in his CB technique in the offseason and emerge as a Jalen Ramsey type of prospect. Him being that gives this draft 4 absolute studs at 4 massive needs (along with Chubb, Barkley, and Nelson). And as you said, that would work perfectly as we'd be guaranteed one of them if 3 QBs go in those first 6 picks (which I think they will)...

If we take him, I hope you're right. He has been a really impressive college player and he could be more Landon Collins than Dee Milliner. But if we do, I hope it's as a corner. For as exciting as having two dynamic young safeties might be, it would be a lot like Howard last year. It would be another first round without addressing either line or cornerback. It's going to be tough to get better that way.
MJW

Postby Alpha » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:41 am

MJW wrote:
Alpha wrote:A lot of this hinges on whether or not Darnold and Jackson declare.

I do not think Lamar Jackson sniffs the high first round. The dude is a poor man's Marcus Mariota, and Mariota's play of late has not made that sound any more attractive. That style of quarterback is not as popular as it was ten years ago, and Jackson needs more work as a passer than most. IMHO he should be a 3rd rounder, but will likely go in the second with so many teams needing young quarterbacks.

I think we'll see Allen, Darnold (if he declares), and Allen all go in the Top Six. If not by teams that are already there, by teams that move up. I think we'll be the 4th team picking a non-quarterback.

Never said Jackson would...but he WILL be a 1st rounder, if he declares. You're kidding yourself if you think otherwise.

So essentially...what you're saying, is that you agree with me.

You could've just posted "agreed" and been done with it. Suit yourself. :roll:
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:43 am

real bucs fan wrote:I will admit Fitz scares me some for all those reasons... but the guy is a hell of football player, and I think he shines at the combine... I really hope he can make huge strides in his CB technique in the offseason and emerge as a Jalen Ramsey type of prospect. Him being that gives this draft 4 absolute studs at 4 massive needs (along with Chubb, Barkley, and Nelson). And as you said, that would work perfectly as we'd be guaranteed one of them if 3 QBs go in those first 6 picks (which I think they will)...

The case for taking Fitz...IF he's available is pretty simple:

Do you REALLY want to see Conte covering a WR, when teams go 4 wide?

Yeah...neither do I.
Alpha

Postby Bootz2004 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:57 am

Alpha wrote:
Teitan wrote:Smith-Nelson-Marpet-Sweezy-Dotson

It’s sounding so good.

It would sound better if Sweezy wasn't there.

He's not good. Hell...he's barely mediocre.

This. I don't know why people are all of a sudden trying to convince themselves that Sweezy was somehow serviceable. He wasn't. He was a complete liability in there and caused a lot of problems.
Bootz2004

Postby pewterpirates » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:52 am

If all the QBs declare, I can see a scenario where we have our choice between Nelson, Chubb & Fitzpatrick.

Say 3 QBs go in the top 6 (and that could be considered conservative, only 3). Then either IND or CLE takes Barkley at 3/4. I could even see the Texas OT climbing up into the top 6.

It would really be beneficial to us if all the QBs declare. We're going to get an impact player at 7. I'm hoping it's one of Nelson or Chubb.
pewterpirates

Postby Bootz2004 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:18 am

Rudolph, Jackson, Darnold, Rosen, Arnold, Mayfield all have the possibility to go top 6. No it won't happen but I'd say after trades and such at minimum 4 of these guys go before we pick. Maybe 5 depending on how Indy feels about Luck' s prognosis.
Bootz2004

Postby Doctor » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:42 pm

MJW wrote:

If we take him, I hope you're right. He has been a really impressive college player and he could be more Landon Collins than Dee Milliner. But if we do, I hope it's as a corner. For as exciting as having two dynamic young safeties might be, it would be a lot like Howard last year. It would be another first round without addressing either line or cornerback. It's going to be tough to get better that way.

Depends on what happens in FA. If we can land someone like Malcon Butler or Trumaine Johnson- or even just bring back Grimes, I'll fine with drafting and playing Fitz as safety. It's just getting your 4/5 best DBs on the field.
Doctor

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:06 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:Rudolph, Jackson, Darnold, Rosen, Arnold, Mayfield all have the possibility to go top 6. No it won't happen but I'd say after trades and such at minimum 4 of these guys go before we pick. Maybe 5 depending on how Indy feels about Luck' s prognosis.

I think Indy is very content with Luck and Brissett right now. They aren't going QB.

I'd love if 4 QBs go ahead of us, but I'm realistically hoping for 3.
real bucs fan

Postby uscbucsfan » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:27 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:Rudolph, Jackson, Darnold, Rosen, Arnold, Mayfield all have the possibility to go top 6. No it won't happen but I'd say after trades and such at minimum 4 of these guys go before we pick. Maybe 5 depending on how Indy feels about Luck' s prognosis.

I think Indy is very content with Luck and Brissett right now. They aren't going QB.

The over/under point is definitely 3.
uscbucsfan

Postby Bootz2004 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:31 pm

real bucs fan wrote:

It might not be likely at all. But keep in mind they will have a new head coach and have a new GM already. I don't know how happy you can be with a guy who helped you win 3 games. Imagine if Jason Licht was "happy" with Mike Glennon...
Bootz2004

Postby pewterpirates » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:27 pm

There's 0.00000001% chance the Colts take a QB at 3....
pewterpirates

Postby Bootz2004 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:29 pm

pewterpirates wrote:There's 0.00000001% chance the Colts take a QB at 3....

That's still a chance.....
Bootz2004

Postby beardmcdoug » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:46 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:I think Indy is very content with Luck and Brissett right now. They aren't going QB.

It might not be likely at all. But keep in mind they will have a new head coach and have a new GM already. I don't know how happy you can be with a guy who helped you win 3 games. Imagine if Jason Licht was "happy" with Mike Glennon...

and we already had Jameis Winston in the background recovering from an injury? It wouldn't seem so crazy. Although, I get the skepticism about Luck's return.

However, I will say this, we all know wins are a team effort, so I won't put that all on Brissett.

Here are a few 2017 stat lines:

Player A: 291 COMP 492 ATT 59.1 PCT 3,302 YDS 6.71 YDS/A 22 TDs 16 INTs 35 SACKS 80.7 Rating 206 YDS/Game
Player B: 276 COMP 469 ATT 58.8 PCT 3,098 YDS 6.61 YDS/A 13 TDs 7 INTs 52 SACKS 81.7 Rating 194 YDS/Game
Player C: 196 COMP 330 ATT 59.4 PCT 2,193 YDS 6.65 YDS/A 7 TDs 7 INTs 31 SACKS 77.5 Rating 183 YDS/Game
Player D: 352 COMP 549 ATT 64.1 PCT 3,141 YDS 5.72 YDS/A 18 TDs 13 INTs 32 SACKS 80.4 Rating 196 YDS/Game

Who's who? Here's a hint, one is a super bowl winning QB; one is a 1st overall drafted QB who has won a regular season MVP; one was drafted #2 overall last year - and his team paid heavily to get him; and one is Jacoby Brissett

Spoiler:
A = Newton
B = Brissett
C = Trubisky
D = Flacco

Point is, a lot of a QB's success has to do with the supporting cast and just how well a team "clicks" on any given year. In his first year starting, dude had a 2:1 TD/INT ratio, was the most sacked QB in the league behind that TERRIBLE indy O-line, had a 80 QB rating, and played solid overall. I could see them being patient at QB this draft
beardmcdoug

Previous

Return to College Football/Draft Talk