In the 2018 NFL Draft the Tampa Bay Buccaneers select....

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Re: In the 2018 NFL Draft the Tampa Bay Buccaneers select...

Postby real bucs fan » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:47 pm

SOS changed between us and Chicago and SF won, nice
real bucs fan

Postby Cheb » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:42 pm

Apparently we are picking at #7.

For historical perspective, here's the last ten #7 overall picks....

Mike Williams, WR, Chargers - Underwhelming rookie year, injury problems with only nine games played. Currently the Charger's #4 WR, 22 targets, 10 catches, has the dropsies.
DeForest Buckner, DE, Niners - Good defender but it doesn't show on the stats sheet. Gets doubled alot, opens things up for his teammates. Playing well within his scheme.
Kevin White, WR, Chicago - Huge bust, injured frequently. 21 career catches in 5 career games, 0 TDs.
Mike Evans, WR, Bucs - We know him well. He is one of three players to begin their career with four straight 1,000 yard seasons.
Jonathan Cooper, OG, Cardinals - Was traded to the Pats, who released him shortly thereafter. He's now starting at guard for the Cowboys, injured today.
Mark Barron, S, Bucs - Another familiar face. Traded for a fourth and sixth round pick. Revitalized his career as a linebacker.
Aldon Smith, OLB, Niners - Started out on fire, has a 19.5 sack season. His career was derailed by alcoholism, he's now out of football.
Joe Haden, CB, Browns - Has had an up-and-down career, mostly down (that's the Browns for ya). He's now in the playoffs with the Steelers.
Darrius Heyward-Bey, WR, Raiders - Overdrafted based on his speed, career journeyman, less than 2 TDs per season.
Sedrick Ellis, DT, Saints. Underwhelmed his entire career, had a five year career with 12.5 total sacks. But hey, he won a Superbowl.

Not exactly an inspiring list.

--

My preliminary big board is:

Bradley Chubb, DE
Arden Key, DE
Quenton Nelson, LG
Minkah Fitzpatrick, S/CB
Saquon Barkley, RB
Derwin James, S
Connor Williams, OT

Thoughts?
Cheb

Postby Super K » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:48 pm

Nelson all the way now that we are at #7...
Super K

Postby Jason Bourne » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:57 pm

Cheb wrote:Apparently we are picking at #7.

Mike Williams, WR, Chargers - Underwhelming rookie year, injury problems with only nine games played. Currently the Charger's #4 WR, 22 targets, 10 catches, has the dropsies.
DeForest Buckner, DE, Niners - Good defender but it doesn't show on the stats sheet. Gets doubled alot, opens things up for his teammates. Playing well within his scheme.
Kevin White, WR, Chicago - Huge bust, injured frequently. 21 career catches in 5 career games, 0 TDs.
Mike Evans, WR, Bucs - We know him well. He is one of three players to begin their career with four straight 1,000 yard seasons.
Jonathan Cooper, OG, Cardinals - Was traded to the Pats, who released him shortly thereafter. He's now starting at guard for the Cowboys, injured today.
Mark Barron, S, Bucs - Another familiar face. Traded for a fourth and sixth round pick. Revitalized his career as a linebacker.
Aldon Smith, OLB, Niners - Started out on fire, has a 19.5 sack season. His career was derailed by alcoholism, he's now out of football.
Joe Haden, CB, Browns - Has had an up-and-down career, mostly down (that's the Browns for ya). He's now in the playoffs with the Steelers.
Darrius Heyward-Bey, WR, Raiders - Overdrafted based on his speed, career journeyman, less than 2 TDs per season.
Sedrick Ellis, DT, Saints. Underwhelmed his entire career, had a five year career with 12.5 total sacks. But hey, he won a Superbowl.

--

Bradley Chubb, DE
Arden Key, DE
Quenton Nelson, LG
Minkah Fitzpatrick, S/CB
Saquon Barkley, RB
Derwin James, S
Connor Williams, OT

Thoughts?

Agree with most of them a few others are DT’s Vita Vea and Christian Wilkins and day 2 Guy is DE Dorance Armstrong jr
Jason Bourne

Postby Teitan » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:57 pm

We trade back a few spots and take Nelson.
Teitan

Postby Commander Bubbles » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:53 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
Cheb wrote:
No one is arguing that Barkley is a bad prospect; there's a reason he is consistently mocked as being a top 5 selection. What they are arguing is that a good running back doesn't matter when he's consistently hit in the backfield, like our running backs are.

Every RB gets hit in the backfield on a semi regular basis. The great ones are able to break tackles, make guys miss, find a seam, and then turn on the jets.

Look at the the Giants OL, the Colts OL, the Browns OL, and our OL. Barkley likely ends up on one of those teams, no? Of those 4 OLs, ours is probably the best. But I'm willing to bet you, no matter where Barkley ends up being drafted, he has a great rookie year (assuming he stays healthy). Deal?

Running backs are a dime a dozen. We'd be stupid to pass on upgrading the OL/DL to draft a RB.
Commander Bubbles

Postby real bucs fan » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:55 pm

I think at 7 you're looking at the Nelsons, Keys, James's of the draft
real bucs fan

Postby MJW » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:16 am

real bucs fan wrote:I think at 7 you're looking at the Nelsons, Keys, James's of the draft

Key will be gone with a strong post-season. I want nothing to do with Derwin James after he mailed in this season at FSU so he didn't get hurt. Nothing.

Nelson would be...fine. It still feels like drafting a guard is settling for a double instead of swinging for the fences.

My #1 based on the 7th pick is Denzel Ward. No position questions. No scheme questions. Plug him in and let him play. Sign a veteran for the #2 spot. Let VHIII continue in the nickel for the time being. You can't fix everything in one offseason but I think we'd be in good shape at CB going forward.
MJW

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:17 am

7. Now time to dig in deep on these top prospects because we will pretty much have our pick of who we want.
Bootz2004

Postby I Are Serious Poster » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:45 am

MJW wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:I think at 7 you're looking at the Nelsons, Keys, James's of the draft

Key will be gone with a strong post-season. I want nothing to do with Derwin James after he mailed in this season at FSU so he didn't get hurt. Nothing.

Nelson would be...fine. It still feels like drafting a guard is settling for a double instead of swinging for the fences.

My #1 based on the 7th pick is Denzel Ward. No position questions. No scheme questions. Plug him in and let him play. Sign a veteran for the #2 spot. Let VHIII continue in the nickel for the time being. You can't fix everything in one offseason but I think we'd be in good shape at CB going forward.

James played his ass off and had a great season; he just did it in a vacuum because of what he was surrounded with and the coordinator they were playing under. The same coordinator that took over arguably the best secondary in the country (Ramsey, Darby, PJ Williams, etc) and somehow made them all look lost in his first season. James had a stellar season by any measure, and a downright remarkable effort considering his circumstances.

If you're complaining about him sitting out a bowl against Southern Miss, I don't know what to say. You have a right to your opinion, but remember he lost the entire 2016 season due to injury playing in a meaningless game.
I Are Serious Poster

Postby MJW » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:48 am

I Are Serious Poster wrote:
MJW wrote:

James played his ass off and had a great season; he just did it in a vacuum because of what he was surrounded with and the coordinator they were playing under. The same coordinator that took over arguably the best secondary in the country (Ramsey, Darby, PJ Williams, etc) and somehow made them all look lost in his first season. James had a stellar season, and a downright remarkable one considering his circumstances.

If you're complaining about him sitting out a bowl against Southern Miss, I don't know what to say. You have a right to your opinion, but remember he lost the entire 2016 season due to injury playing in a meaningless game.

You watched a different player than I did. The guy I watched played soft and passive far too often. Gonna guess you're an FSU fan though.
MJW

Postby theBKwhopper » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:10 am

ARDEN KEY!!!!!
theBKwhopper

Postby theBKwhopper » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:11 am

\m/
theBKwhopper

Postby Jason Bourne » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:41 am

Chubb - Key - Ferrell we must draft a DE .

Ferrell could end up being really good .
Jason Bourne

Postby Jason Bourne » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:11 am

2018 NFL Mock Draft: B/R's Post-Regular Season Predictions - Bleacher Report
https://apple.news/AHjI5nF5GS_Wc8ezZxbjiCQ
Jason Bourne

Postby real bucs fan » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:28 am

Cheb wrote:Apparently we are picking at #7.

--

Bradley Chubb, DE
Arden Key, DE
Quenton Nelson, LG
Minkah Fitzpatrick, S/CB
Saquon Barkley, RB
Derwin James, S
Connor Williams, OT

Thoughts?

Firstly I'm shocked you have Barkley in your top 5. Secondly I think you are under rating Joe Haden.

Lastly, my big board is shockingly similar to yours at this point considering how much we've argued.
real bucs fan

Postby uscbucsfan » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:35 am

My big board:

I had Nelson above Key, but I agree that a guard in the 2nd or 3rd will be less of a drop off than a DE in the 2nd or 3rd. There's a chance someone like Harold Landry could fall to the 2nd due to his lackluster year. He played through injuries and had a scary first step when healthy.

1.Chubb
2.Fitzpatrick
3.Key
4.Nelson
5.Josh Jackson
6.Derwin James
7.Barkley
8.Guice
uscbucsfan

Postby real bucs fan » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:37 am

I think there are quite a few parallels between this draft and the 2016 draft. In 2016 you had the QBs go 1-2 and then the 3 elite guys go 3-4-5 in Bosa, Elliott, and Ramsey who I think are comparable to Chubb, Barkley, and Fitzpatrick.

At 5 we likely get one of those guys, but at 7 we are going to have to pick the right guy. We can gamble on the talents of a James or Key, or go the safe route with the stud guard in Nelson.

Those are the 6 names I'm looking at right now. If none of those guys are there, I trade down for Guice or Love.
real bucs fan

Postby Alpha » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:29 pm

Jason Bourne wrote:Chubb - Key - Ferrell we must draft a DE .

At #7?

You go ahead and reach for a prospect if Chubb and Key are gone.

I'll take a better player, at a different position.
Alpha

Postby real bucs fan » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:42 pm

There's a chance that the Browns, Giants, Broncos, and Jets all take a QB. If that happens, one of Chubb/Barkley/Fitzpatrick falls to us.
real bucs fan

Postby Jason Bourne » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:57 pm

Alpha wrote:
Jason Bourne wrote:Chubb - Key - Ferrell we must draft a DE .

At #7?

You go ahead and reach for a prospect if Chubb and Key are gone.

I'll take a better player, at a different position.

It’s still early ,I think he is the 3rd best DE and it will be interesting to see what Ferrell does at the combine and tonight vs Alabama .
Jason Bourne

Postby real bucs fan » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:33 pm

Guice is a friggin stud, but he seems like a hothead. With Evans and Winston, we need more steady eddies like Howard.
real bucs fan

Postby Cheb » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:15 pm

real bucs fan wrote:Firstly I'm shocked you have Barkley in your top 5. Secondly I think you are under rating Joe Haden.

Lastly, my big board is shockingly similar to yours at this point considering how much we've argued.

Like I've said before, I like Barkley. There's a reason he's a consistent top five selection in just about every mock out there.

The issue is that the Bucs have bigger needs than a running back. However, if he's there and better options are taken? Ain't nothing wrong with taking a talented player.
Cheb

Postby Konatown » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:20 pm

Cheb wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:Firstly I'm shocked you have Barkley in your top 5. Secondly I think you are under rating Joe Haden.

Like I've said before, I like Barkley. There's a reason he's a consistent top five selection in just about every mock out there.

The issue is that the Bucs have bigger needs than a running back. However, if he's there and better options are taken? Ain't nothing wrong with taking a talented player.

Agreed, if Barkley is clear BPA he’d be a heck of a pick.

My list goes
Chubb
Fitzpatrick
Barkley
Key
Nelson

Picking at 7 and having 2 QB’s go before will land us one of these guys. All at a position of need.
Konatown

Postby real bucs fan » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:27 pm

Assuming Chubb, Barkley and Fitzpatrick are off the board, I think I'm aboard the Nelson train. Top 5 was too early for me for a guard, especially considering the other possibilities, but at 7 I'm fine with it. He's going to be a future All-Pro IMHO.
real bucs fan

Postby real bucs fan » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:29 pm

Konatown wrote:
Cheb wrote:

My list goes
Chubb
Fitzpatrick
Barkley
Key
Nelson

Picking at 7 and having 2 QB’s go before will land us one of these guys. All at a position of need.

Key to me is too much of a wildcard right now to group him with those other 4. Those other 4 guys are bluechip studs.
real bucs fan

Postby Konatown » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:42 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
Konatown wrote:

My list goes
Chubb
Fitzpatrick
Barkley
Key
Nelson

Key to me is too much of a wildcard right now to group him with those other 4. Those other 4 guys are bluechip studs.

Key is definitely a wildcard. But if he’s blows up the offseason as most are expecting he’ll be ahead of Nelson just due to the position. Not that it’s fair bc Nelson shows it on the field, but that’s how these things work.
Konatown

Postby real bucs fan » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:53 pm

Konatown wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:

Key is definitely a wildcard. But if he’s blows up the offseason as most are expecting he’ll be ahead of Nelson just due to the position. Not that it’s fair bc Nelson shows it on the field, but that’s how these things work.

I can't disagree with that. Hopefully Key does it.
real bucs fan

Postby theBKwhopper » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:03 pm

Jason Bourne wrote:2018 NFL Mock Draft: B/R's Post-Regular Season Predictions - Bleacher Report
https://apple.news/AHjI5nF5GS_Wc8ezZxbjiCQ

"Ramshackle Offensive Line." Haha
theBKwhopper

Postby I Are Serious Poster » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:50 pm

Does Key love football, though? Doesn't seem like it, but what do I know? The scouting department has plenty of work to do, hope they're up to it.

I'd prefer to trade back in this one, but as always, it takes two to tango. Hopefully some team has a hard on for someone at our pick.
Last edited by I Are Serious Poster on Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I Are Serious Poster

PreviousNext

Return to College Football/Draft Talk