In the 2018 NFL Draft the Tampa Bay Buccaneers select....

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Re: In the 2018 NFL Draft the Tampa Bay Buccaneers select...

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:54 am

Doctor wrote:I really think we're going to luck out. Last year we had one of the top talents to the draft fall to us, I think the same will happen here. IMO, there are only three truly elite players in this draft- Fitz, Barkley, and Nelson. All of whom can fall because of "the position they play". We'd be damn lucky too. I also really like Guice, like Cook the year prior, he's not quite on that next level tier like Barkley and Fournette, but he's damn close enough and I think he'll be incredible.

I'd also love to trade down for a nice haul. There are A LOT of really nice QBs in this draft. And while many of the QB needy teams are in front of us (Browns, Giants, Broncos) hopefully enough will be behind us and want to move up (Browns again, Jets, Cardinals, Bills). This is a great draft to trade down.

Chubb???

We'll see where we end up picking, but I do think we have a chance at getting a top player for sure. If we miss out on Barkley, my hope at RB I think is Love in round 2.
real bucs fan

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:00 am

real bucs fan wrote:
Doctor wrote:I really think we're going to luck out. Last year we had one of the top talents to the draft fall to us, I think the same will happen here. IMO, there are only three truly elite players in this draft- Fitz, Barkley, and Nelson. All of whom can fall because of "the position they play". We'd be damn lucky too. I also really like Guice, like Cook the year prior, he's not quite on that next level tier like Barkley and Fournette, but he's damn close enough and I think he'll be incredible.

I'd also love to trade down for a nice haul. There are A LOT of really nice QBs in this draft. And while many of the QB needy teams are in front of us (Browns, Giants, Broncos) hopefully enough will be behind us and want to move up (Browns again, Jets, Cardinals, Bills). This is a great draft to trade down.

Chubb???

We'll see where we end up picking, but I do think we have a chance at getting a top player for sure. If we miss out on Barkley, my hope at RB I think is Love in round 2.

Love won the Doak Walker award. He could potentially go ahead of Barkley.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:08 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:Chubb???

Love won the Doak Walker award. He could potentially go ahead of Barkley.

We'll see, but usually backs under 200 lbs without tape catching the ball fall on draft day.

Barkley on the other hand is 220lbs and catches the ball like a wideout.

I could see Love falling to round 2 and being the steal of the draft.
real bucs fan

Postby theBKwhopper » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:02 pm

real bucs fan wrote:

Chubb???

I like Sony Michel a lot. Would be nice in the 3rd.
theBKwhopper

Postby Nano » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:17 pm

Either of the Georgia RBs would be nice and Won't cost a first for either. Chubb could be good in this league.
Nano

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:24 pm

Nano wrote:Either of the Georgia RBs would be nice and Won't cost a first for either. Chubb could be good in this league.

Chubb or Michael would be great additions.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby real bucs fan » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:39 am

While I'm not the biggest Key fan, think he's a bit overhyped for "looking the part", I can get behind the idea of drafting him if he's determined to be the BPA.

Finding impact edges outside of the first is really friggin difficult, so sometimes you need to gamble.
real bucs fan

Postby Bootz2004 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:09 am

real bucs fan wrote:While I'm not the biggest Key fan, think he's a bit overhyped for "looking the part", I can get behind the idea of drafting him if he's determined to be the BPA.

Finding impact edges outside of the first is really friggin difficult, so sometimes you need to gamble.

I like Key more than I liked Leonard Floyd coming out of Georgia.
Bootz2004

Postby real bucs fan » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:20 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:While I'm not the biggest Key fan, think he's a bit overhyped for "looking the part", I can get behind the idea of drafting him if he's determined to be the BPA.

Floyd was alot twitchier. I liked Floyd alot.
real bucs fan

Postby Bootz2004 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:42 am

real bucs fan wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

Floyd was alot twitchier. I liked Floyd alot.

I don't agree with that. It's really picking nits but both guys are very twitchy. Saying 1 is more twitchy than the other is like saying Cam Newton has a stronger arm than Matthew Stafford. It's pretty irrelevant when both guys have the same unique skill. What's more important is that Key is way more polished as a pass rusher than Floyd was. That's not even a debate. Key also isn't as thin and plays the run pretty well. He's coming into the league with a higher floor and ceiling than Floyd.
Bootz2004

Postby Cheb » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:23 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:Floyd was alot twitchier. I liked Floyd alot.

I don't agree with that. It's really picking nits but both guys are very twitchy. Saying 1 is more twitchy than the other is like saying Cam Newton has a stronger arm than Matthew Stafford. It's pretty irrelevant when both guys have the same unique skill. What's more important is that Key is way more polished as a pass rusher than Floyd was. That's not even a debate. Key also isn't as thin and plays the run pretty well. He's coming into the league with a higher floor and ceiling than Floyd.

I agree. I liked Leonard Floyd, but coming out of college he was built like a wide receiver, and not a defensive end. To say he was a liability against the run is an insult to liabilities. But certainly, his first step was stupid good. Key is by far the more well-rounded player. Arden Key has better size to him, and while his first step may not be as good as Floyd's was, he is far and away a more polished defensive end from a technical standpoint.

I still don't really know about drafting Key. He's had three injuries in the past year which have caused him to miss time. The shoulder and hand injuries required surgery. After his shoulder injury, he got fat and was very out of shape, possibly showing a lack of discipline. And yet, after he got healthy this year and of a good weight, he had 18 pressures in three games against great competition before getting injured again. When combined with his season from last year, it is very hard to ignore that kind of production against top notch opponents.

He is the ultimate boom-or-bust guy in this draft. Someone is going to look like a genius or an idiot for drafting him, while all the teams ahead of him will either be proud or furious with themselves for passing on him.

I imagine that he's going to blow up the combine, and if he passes medical muster he will probably be gone before we draft. However, should he drop to us and if we draft him, I guess I'll hope for the best. He's a coin flip for me right now.
Cheb

Postby Bootz2004 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:30 pm

Cheb wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

I agree. I liked Leonard Floyd, but coming out of college he was built like a wide receiver, and not a defensive end. To say he was a liability against the run is an insult to liabilities. But certainly, his first step was stupid good. Key is by far the more well-rounded player. Arden Key has better size to him, and while his first step may not be as good as Floyd's was, he is far and away a more polished defensive end from a technical standpoint.

I still don't really know about drafting Key. He's had three injuries in the past year which have caused him to miss time. The shoulder and hand injuries required surgery. After his shoulder injury, he got fat and was very out of shape, possibly showing a lack of discipline. And yet, after he got healthy this year and of a good weight, he had 18 pressures in three games against great competition before getting injured again. When combined with his season from last year, it is very hard to ignore that kind of production against top notch opponents.

He is the ultimate boom-or-bust guy in this draft. Someone is going to look like a genius or an idiot for drafting him, while all the teams ahead of him will either be proud or furious with themselves for passing on him.

I imagine that he's going to blow up the combine, and if he passes medical muster he will probably be gone before we draft. However, should he drop to us and if we draft him, I guess I'll hope for the best. He's a coin flip for me right now.

I get the injury concerns. But I agree with 1 thing RBF said. Maybe it's time to take chances when it comes to pass rushers. We've been so bad for such a long time pressuring the QB. Key will likely move up the draft boards because of his position, production, and skills set. If he's there when we select, it should be impossible to pass if for no other reason than what do we have to lose? We rely too much on the Will Clarke's, Jacques Smith's, Ryan Russell's of the world. I'd rather rely on the boom or bust guy.
Bootz2004

Postby Alpha » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:12 pm

Cheb wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

My bigger concern is that Key is listed at 240 pounds. He is NOT a 3 down, 4-3 DE. Maybe he measures bigger than that? As of now...and unless we switch to a 3-4...I pass. And I'm not even counting his injuries. He IS a stand-up, 3-4 OLB...and the team that plays that D and drafts him as that, will look brilliant. The team that plays a 4-3 and drafts him as a DE, will look like nit-wits.
Alpha

Postby Nano » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:14 pm

So, we're still picking at 8. We have the toughest SOS in the NFL so we'll be pushed down a couple spots. Root for Denver, Houston, and Chicago if you want us to move up...if the 49ers or Colts win 2 more games, wealso move up.

TBH, I don't think you have to worry about the Bucs screwing up and actually winning...we're that bad compared to our rivals
Nano

Postby Alpha » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:32 pm

Nano wrote:So, we're still picking at 8. We have the toughest SOS in the NFL so we'll be pushed down a couple spots. Root for Denver, Houston, and Chicago if you want us to move up...if the 49ers or Colts win 2 more games, wealso move up.

TBH, I don't think you have to worry about the Bucs screwing up and actually winning...we're that bad compared to our rivals

CHI needs ONE MORE WIN!!111!1!!1!!
Alpha

Postby Doctor » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:16 am

If QB truly is the most important position I would not be opposed to pulling a Rivers this draft. I believe in Winston and think this moving on talk is crazy and premature. With that said hedging your bets on the most important position may not be a bad idea. We still have his 5th year option and the franchise tag with lots of growing cap space. At worse he's not it we would have a top talent QB that was groomed for a year or two and hits the ground running.
Doctor

Postby theBKwhopper » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:55 am

Doctor wrote:If QB truly is the most important position I would not be opposed to pulling a Rivers this draft. I believe in Winston and think this moving on talk is crazy and premature. With that said hedging your bets on the most important position may not be a bad idea. We still have his 5th year option and the franchise tag with lots of growing cap space. At worse he's not it we would have a top talent QB that was groomed for a year or two and hits the ground running.

I get the desire for that approach.. But, drafting a QB that high will only begin to push Winston out the door. And with our luck, he'll go to NO, win a couple SuperBowls and become one of the greatest QBs of all time.
theBKwhopper

Postby MJW » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:04 am

theBKwhopper wrote:
Doctor wrote:If QB truly is the most important position I would not be opposed to pulling a Rivers this draft. I believe in Winston and think this moving on talk is crazy and premature. With that said hedging your bets on the most important position may not be a bad idea. We still have his 5th year option and the franchise tag with lots of growing cap space. At worse he's not it we would have a top talent QB that was groomed for a year or two and hits the ground running.

I get the desire for that approach.. But, drafting a QB that high will only begin to push Winston out the door. And with our luck, he'll go to NO, win a couple SuperBowls and become one of the greatest QBs of all time.

If he can't handle competition, then he's not the guy anyway. The thing people forget about the Rivers/Brees situation was that Brees got badly injured in his last game as a Charger. As I recall, it was Denver's John Lynch who laid the hit. He had serious shoulder damage. In fact, the concerns were legit enough that this is why Nick Saban didn't want him in Miami, which was Drew's first choice (a fact Drew and the Saints seem to forget, btw.)

If Drew doesn't get hurt, the Chargers can always franchise him and deal him. Or they can re-sign him and deal Rivers. It's pretty much the textbook definition of a good problem.

You know what a bad problem looks like? Doubling down on a quarterback who might not be the answer, and being so afraid of shaking his confidence you don't bring in any legit competition. I can name maybe a half-dozen teams that have been mired in mediocrity for years with this approach.
MJW

Postby real bucs fan » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:52 am

Winston might not ever be a top 5 QB, but he's not so bad you need to move on from him. His problem is he tries to do too much out there, and that's at least partially a system of not having a run game and a bad defense. You gotta at least and give him a run game first before giving up on him.

And if he stinks it up again you're probably in position to draft a QB next year.

The blueprint for us is the Jaguars. Get Winston a run game and the D a pass rush.
real bucs fan

Postby mdb1958 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:29 am

real bucs fan wrote:Winston might not ever be a top 5 QB, but he's not so bad you need to move on from him. His problem is he tries to do too much out there, and that's at least partially a system of not having a run game and a bad defense. You gotta at least and give him a run game first before giving up on him.

And if he stinks it up again you're probably in position to draft a QB next year.

The blueprint for us is the Jaguars. Get Winston a run game and the D a pass rush.

He's had a run game the last two weeks -------------------------------------- and yeah you dont give up on him. He can do some good things even though the horse kicked him in the head.
mdb1958

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:59 am

Alpha wrote:
Cheb wrote:

My bigger concern is that Key is listed at 240 pounds. He is NOT a 3 down, 4-3 DE. Maybe he measures bigger than that? As of now...and unless we switch to a 3-4...I pass. And I'm not even counting his injuries. He IS a stand-up, 3-4 OLB...and the team that plays that D and drafts him as that, will look brilliant. The team that plays a 4-3 and drafts him as a DE, will look like nit-wits.

Nit-wits are the ones who squabble about 4-3 or 3-4 when it comes to pass rushers these days in the NFL. It's a multiple defense league when teams are in sub/nickel over 50% of the time. 10 years ago 4-3 or 3-4 mattered, it's pretty irrelevant when it comes EDGE rushers these days.

Can the guy beat an OT 1v1 and get the QB off his spot in under 3 seconds? Get the best pass rushers you can find and adjust your scheme accordingly.

As far as Arden Key is concerned there are some red flags. But his size/frame isn't one of them for me. The is 6'6" and looked good once he got in shape at around 255lbs. Just like Danielle Hunter and Leonard Floyd, Key will add some good weight to frame as he's got a broader/thicker frame that either Hunter or Floyd did coming out of college.

Key is the almost a prototype DE from a size/skillset standpoint. I just wish he played with Chubb's technique, demeanor, and motor.
DreadNaught

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:10 am

255 is average weight for a DE in this class. Chubb is a freak at 275.

Still need to scout Key so I can't weigh in on his ability.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:20 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:255 is average weight for a DE in this class. Chubb is a freak at 275.

Key's highs on tape make him look like a top 5 pick. His concerns are tough evaluate for people that are not 'in the know'. Injuries, work ethic, commitment are all things that need to be vetted and for us it's just speculation and we have to rely on people we trust on these things. Which often leads to allowing bias to come into play since we'll gravitate to opinions that validate our own on a player.

I know when in comes to Key (IMO) there is not a more talented pass rusher in this class with a higher upside, including Chubb. But there is more bust potential also.

Chubb seems like solid, cant miss type of disruptive Dline prospect. He may not have the ideal length and athleticism for top 10 pick, but he's going to be a high motor, disruptive force for some team. I think he has the potential to rush as a DT in spots, in addition to being a top LDE.
DreadNaught

Postby real bucs fan » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:33 am

DreadNaught wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:255 is average weight for a DE in this class. Chubb is a freak at 275.

Key's highs on tape make him look like a top 5 pick. His concerns are tough evaluate for people that are not 'in the know'. Injuries, work ethic, commitment are all things that need to be vetted and for us it's just speculation and we have to rely on people we trust on these things. Which often leads to allowing bias to come into play since we'll gravitate to opinions that validate our own on a player.

I know when in comes to Key (IMO) there is not a more talented pass rusher in this class with a higher upside, including Chubb. But there is more bust potential also.

Chubb seems like solid, cant miss type of disruptive Dline prospect. He may not have the ideal length and athleticism for top 10 pick, but he's going to be a high motor, disruptive force for some team. I think he has the potential to rush as a DT in spots, in addition to being a top LDE.

Your first paragraph was a great point.

Disagree about Chubb though. Chubb to me is a comparable prospect (not player) to Joey Bosa. I remember pre-draft people were saying he shouldn't go in the top 10, blah blah blah low ceiling, but when you put on the tape the guy is an elite player. I could see Chubb being a Joey Bosa type of player in the NFL, and to me, that is elite. Key to me reminds me of Gaines Adams. Looks the part, but there just is something missing there...
real bucs fan

Postby Doctor » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:24 pm

real bucs fan wrote:

Chubb???

Chubb probably leads the next tier of players, but he doesn't break into the elite prospect group. He's not a Myles Garret, Mike Williams, or Clowney type. Heck, he's still fighting off Key- a guy who's been mailing it in most of the season- for being the top DE taken. With the premium there is in this league for a DE, if/when you are an elite DE you are in serious talks for being the #1. You think Browns didn't need a QB last year? They did.
Doctor

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:05 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

Your first paragraph was a great point.

Disagree about Chubb though. Chubb to me is a comparable prospect (not player) to Joey Bosa. I remember pre-draft people were saying he shouldn't go in the top 10, blah blah blah low ceiling, but when you put on the tape the guy is an elite player. I could see Chubb being a Joey Bosa type of player in the NFL, and to me, that is elite. Key to me reminds me of Gaines Adams. Looks the part, but there just is something missing there...

Good point, and I was guilty of not buying into the Bosa hype as much although never had him outside of the top 10. But he's made a believer out of me for sure and is one of the best EDGE rushers in the NFL. NOBODY in the AFC wants to see the Jags or Chargers in the playoffs I'll tell you that.

I don't mean to undersell Chubb, he's my #1 prospect. I shouldn't use words like "solid" to describe him b/c I think he'll be a very good NFL Dlinemen. I'll be interested to see how his (arm) length stacks up vs Bosa and other top 5/10 type EDGE prospects he's comped to.
DreadNaught

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:16 pm

Always trust the tape over the measurables when it comes to prospects. Especially linemen.
Bootz2004

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:19 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:Always trust the tape over the measurables when it comes to prospects. Especially linemen.

For sure
DreadNaught

Postby real bucs fan » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:23 pm

Chubb especially, he could run a 4.8 like a Bosa, but man, his first 3 steps are otherworldy.
real bucs fan

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:43 pm

real bucs fan wrote:Chubb especially, he could run a 4.8 like a Bosa, but man, his first 3 steps are otherworldy.

Yea I don't look at what linemen run in the 40. McCoy was what, 5+? Not many DTs have his 1st step or penetrating ability. At lot of the time those big boys are winded after the 1st 20-25 yards and start slowing up.
Bootz2004

PreviousNext

Return to College Football/Draft Talk