In the 2018 NFL Draft the Tampa Bay Buccaneers select....

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Re: In the 2018 NFL Draft the Tampa Bay Buccaneers select...

Postby Nano » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:36 pm

"With the 4th overall pick in the 2018 NFL Draft, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers select....

Mason Rudolf, QB, Oklahoma St"
Nano

Postby Cheb » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:11 pm

Nano wrote:"With the 4th overall pick in the 2018 NFL Draft, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers select....

Mason Rudolf, QB, Oklahoma St"

Oh man. This place would explode.
Cheb

Postby Doctor » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:18 am

We in the Saquon Barkley sweepstake yet?
Doctor

Postby Brazen331 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:27 am

Doctor wrote:We in the Saquon Barkley sweepstake yet?

Most definitely. I don’t think we will pick first or second but 3rd is definitely in the running. I think Barkley is better than Fournette but with the QBs available I don’t see him going in the top 3, with that short career span RBs have.

Actually, the Giants are ahead of us now, and if we have similar records I guess they get to pick before us...they could go Barkley. ODB and Barkley....makes sense.
Brazen331

Postby Teitan » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:48 am

I’d rather beef up this defense and try to hit on a RB later. That’s a far greater issue.
Teitan

Postby Doctor » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:02 am

I don't believe in drafting for need, that is how you get Gaines Adams and Aguayo.
I agree that Barkley is a next level elite talent. Maybe even a hair better than Fournette, who has completely reset the Jaguars offense.
I can see SF taking him, especially if Jimmy G. shows up near the end of the season for them.
Doctor

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:38 am

Teitan wrote:I’d rather beef up this defense and try to hit on a RB later. That’s a far greater issue.

Yup, We have to get a top flight EDGE rusher and should be well positioned to do so.

I know LSU's Arden Key came into the season a bit out of shape and that is a big red flag. But his size/talent is can't miss for the position imo and he looked really good vs Bama Saturday night.
DreadNaught

Postby mdb1958 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:50 am

DreadNaught wrote:
Teitan wrote:I’d rather beef up this defense and try to hit on a RB later. That’s a far greater issue.

Yup, We have to get a top flight EDGE rusher and should be well positioned to do so.

I know LSU's Arden Key came into the season a bit out of shape and that is a big red flag. But his size/talent is can't miss for the position imo and he looked really good vs Bama Saturday night.

DN, your saying a 238 lb DE is what we need? And its cant miss? Just want to gather in your whole thought process.
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:00 am

Doctor wrote:I don't believe in drafting for need, that is how you get Gaines Adams and Aguayo.
I agree that Barkley is a next level elite talent. Maybe even a hair better than Fournette, who has completely reset the Jaguars offense.
I can see SF taking him, especially if Jimmy G. shows up near the end of the season for them.

What level of need we talking about
mdb1958

Postby real bucs fan » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:09 am

When you look how Elliott helped turn around the Cowboys and then Fournette helped turn around the Jags both immediately...

Barkley is the guy who can make us a playoff team right away. I'd be all for an elite edge or CB, a Ramsey or Bosa type, but doesn't look to me like that guy is in this draft.
real bucs fan

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:28 am

mdb1958 wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

DN, your saying a 238 lb DE is what we need? And its cant miss? Just want to gather in your whole thought process.

Who is 238lbs? I think you're looking at some old data if you're talking about Key.

It's still early and I haven't really looked at much outside of a few games and highlights from some of the top guys like Key, Landry, Chubb, etc. But I like the defenders from LSU and Key certainly has the size and athleticism that are intriguing for an EDGE rusher imo.
DreadNaught

Postby Brazen331 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:57 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
mdb1958 wrote:

Who is 238lbs? I think you're looking at some old data if you're talking about Key.

It's still early and I haven't really looked at much outside of a few games and highlights from some of the top guys like Key, Landry, Chubb, etc. But I like the defenders from LSU and Key certainly has the size and athleticism that are intriguing for an EDGE rusher imo.

If we are going defense in the top 5 then give me Derwin James. Might not be as big a need or important a position but I know James will make some Pro Bowls and I can’t say the same for the top DLs, they just don’t seem as safe a bet.
Brazen331

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:37 am

Sure, let's dip into that well one more time.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Brazen331 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:42 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:Sure, let's dip into that well one more time.

We are talking top 5 here so we go BPA. You want to fill needs you trade down. And perhaps that's the best move. James is the only defensive player in this draft I'd want to spend a top-5 pick on. I think he is better than Jalen Ramsey and Jamal Adams.
Brazen331

Postby MJW » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:56 am

If we want to get the most out of Jameis - or any other quarterback - we have to get Donovan Smith the **** away from left tackle. So we should be talking about Mike McGlinchey here also. If we had an adequate left tackle, Jameis would still be standing.
MJW

Postby Nano » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:04 am

MJW wrote:If we want to get the most out of Jameis - or any other quarterback - we have to get Donovan Smith the **** away from left tackle. So we should be talking about Mike McGlinchey here also. If we had an adequate left tackle, Jameis would still be standing.

Makes you curious how good our oline could be with

McGlinchey - Smith - Marpet - Sweezy - Dotson

That'd be a solid run blocking line at the least
Nano

Postby Cheb » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:22 am

The more I watch him, the more I want Quenton Nelson. People would howl and moan about taking an offensive guard in the top five... but he's just that good.
Cheb

Postby Teitan » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:44 am

Right now, my first choice is Bradley Chubb. 2nd is McGlinchey.
Teitan

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:50 am

Cheb wrote:The more I watch him, the more I want Quenton Nelson. People would howl and moan about taking an offensive guard in the top five... but he's just that good.

Given your take on McGlinchey, I'm guessing you'd say Nelson is making him look good.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby real bucs fan » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:20 am

We should be looking to go BPA. The only positions I wouldn't be looking at in the top 5/10 are QB/WR/TE/LB.
real bucs fan

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:00 pm

real bucs fan wrote:We should be looking to go BPA. The only positions I wouldn't be looking at in the top 5/10 are QB/WR/TE/LB.

Yup - EDGE Rusher, OT, CB, S are the positions that are most valuable for us in the upcoming draft. DT and RB also, but not in round 1 based on who is coming out.

Our pass rush MUST get better off the edge. It just has to if we want to get better on defense. We need to do what the Eagles did last offseason and add bodies to the position group like they did w/ trading for Timmy Jernigan, signing FA Chris Long and drafting 1st rounder Derek Barnett to throw into the mix w/ the talent they had w/ Fletcher Cox and Brandon Graham.

I'm not against keeping the McCoy-Baker-McDonald trio at DT. But we need severe reinforcements at DE, namely guys that can rush the damn QB.
DreadNaught

Postby real bucs fan » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:52 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:We should be looking to go BPA. The only positions I wouldn't be looking at in the top 5/10 are QB/WR/TE/LB.

Yup - EDGE Rusher, OT, CB, S are the positions that are most valuable for us in the upcoming draft. DT and RB also, but not in round 1 based on who is coming out.

Our pass rush MUST get better off the edge. It just has to if we want to get better on defense. We need to do what the Eagles did last offseason and add bodies to the position group like they did w/ trading for Timmy Jernigan, signing FA Chris Long and drafting 1st rounder Derek Barnett to throw into the mix w/ the talent they had w/ Fletcher Cox and Brandon Graham.

I'm not against keeping the McCoy-Baker-McDonald trio at DT. But we need severe reinforcements at DE, namely guys that can rush the damn QB.

If we are looking for blueprints from last year, I would copy what the Jags did. Throw big money at a FA like Demarcus Lawrence (Calais Campbell), and then go RB/OL with the first 2 picks in the draft (like the Jags did with Fournette and Cam Robinson) in Barkley and BPA OL early Day 2.
real bucs fan

Postby beardmcdoug » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:15 pm

We should really consider tanking this season and ensure ourselves the 3rd or 4th pick, because we could have a serious shot at Chubb there

The 49ers have taken Soloman Thomas and DeForest Buckner in back to back years in the first round, and have serious needs on that offense
The Browns have taken Garrett (1st round) and Ogbah (second round) in back to back years, and also have SERIOUS needs on that offense. Defense is really all they've got going for them.
The Giants would be our concern but they ALSO have SERIOUS needs on that offense: they need a future QB, a RB worth a hoot, and an entirely new O-Line

at #4 we could have a legit chance at having Chubb fall in our laps :shock:
beardmcdoug

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:43 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

If we are looking for blueprints from last year, I would copy what the Jags did. Throw big money at a FA like Demarcus Lawrence (Calais Campbell), and then go RB/OL with the first 2 picks in the draft (like the Jags did with Fournette and Cam Robinson) in Barkley and BPA OL early Day 2.

We need more than 1 EDGE rusher imo. Noah Spence shouldn't be relied upon to be anything more than a back-up situational rusher.

I'm not against going after a FA like Lawrence (although he's one failed drug test from a 1-year suspension). But I'd like to draft a guy round 1 and sign a FA. Maybe trade for vet also. I have no desire to bring Robert Ayers back in 2018.

I'm not against RB/OT in round 1. We'll see where we end up drafting, but there are no OT's worth a top 10 pick imo. None of the top guys like Williams, Brown, or McGlinchey look like franchise LTs and I don't think any go top 10. Tbh I like the Okorafor kid from Western Michigan almost as much as those 3. There will be some nice RBs to draft and I think Doug Martin will not be back next season. But I doubt we draft a 1st round RB.

But I get what you're saying. We avoided addressing the running game which struggled last season and instead thought moving Marpet and Sweezy returning would be enough. We can't avoid upgrading the run game 2 years in a row so I expect some new faces at RB in addition to a new face along the Oline.

I think the Marpet-Sweezy-Dotson part of the Oline is safe. Pamphile is FA we'll likely let walk since we didn't even play him full-time this season, and Evan Smith has an expiring contract in addition to being on the wrong side of 30. Donovan Smith could probably use a position change also, but you can't move him unless you have a better replacement and I'm not sure any of these prospects are.
DreadNaught

Postby Alpha » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:43 am

real bucs fan wrote:If we are looking for blueprints from last year, I would copy what the Jags did.

Here's what you casuals don't seem to understand...and I'm not sure why y'all can't figure this out:

The Jags have been investing draft picks in their defense for YEARS. This isn't something they started last year. Yeah...they brought in Campbell...but this has been YEARS in the making. They are a QB away from competing for a SB because if their investment over the years.

IF we aren't drafting defense this year, we haven't learned our lesson. And we'll keep firing coaches every 2 years.

Great.
Alpha

Postby MJW » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:07 am

Alpha wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:If we are looking for blueprints from last year, I would copy what the Jags did.

Here's what you casuals don't seem to understand...and I'm not sure why y'all can't figure this out:

The Jags have been investing draft picks in their defense for YEARS. This isn't something they started last year. Yeah...they brought in Campbell...but this has been YEARS in the making. They are a QB away from competing for a SB because if their investment over the years.

IF we aren't drafting defense this year, we haven't learned our lesson. And we'll keep firing coaches every 2 years.

Great.

They also struck gold on Telvin Smith on Day Three, and he's a huge part of it. Few people had Ngakoue going in the early third. They frankly got very lucky getting Jalen Ramsey at #5 and Myles Jack in the 2nd round. They were shrewd in getting Barry Church and Tashaun Gibson cheap. And they're paying A BUTT TON of money for AJ Bouye, Malik Jackson, and Marcel Dareus (and Campbell, too.)

It isn't something that just happens. You need to commit to it, like you said. You need to pay top dollar for top free agents, not B+ money for B- free agents. You need a lot of luck. And you need a coordinator who can make it all come together, which they seem to have.

(Interesting note - that guy, Todd Wash, spent three seasons here under Gruden and Raheem as DL coach)
MJW

Postby Alpha » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:48 am

MJW wrote:
Alpha wrote:

Great.

They also struck gold on Telvin Smith on Day Three, and he's a huge part of it. Few people had Ngakoue going in the early third. They frankly got very lucky getting Jalen Ramsey at #5 and Myles Jack in the 2nd round. They were shrewd in getting Barry Church and Tashaun Gibson cheap. And they're paying A BUTT TON of money for AJ Bouye, Malik Jackson, and Marcel Dareus (and Campbell, too.)

It isn't something that just happens. You need to commit to it, like you said. You need to pay top dollar for top free agents, not B+ money for B- free agents. You need a lot of luck. And you need a coordinator who can make it all come together, which they seem to have.

(Interesting note - that guy, Todd Wash, spent three seasons here under Gruden and Raheem as DL coach)

Another "interesting note":

Tampa Bay Buccaneer defensive players drafted in the first 3 ROUNDS since 2012:

V. Hargreaves
J. Evans
N. Spence
K. Beckwith
J. Banks
M. Barron
L. David

4 of these guys in the last 2 years. They may...or may NOT be any good. Too soon to tell.

2 no longer with the team.

ONE a proven starter. In the last 5 YEARS.

7 in the last 5 YEARS. That works out to roughly 1/year (deducting the 2 that are no longer here).

THIS is our investment in the defense...PREMIUM draft picks...in the last 5 YEARS.

And it's a wonder why our defense sucks.

It's because Mike Smith forgot how to coach.

:roll:

You people need to get a grip...and start to ****ing BITCH when we fire this staff at the end of the year...
Last edited by Alpha on Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:51 am

Conte.
Tandy.
FA guy.
FA guy.
FA guy.
McClain. LOL!

WTF...I'm shocked this defense isn't ranked 33rd in the league.

**** me.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:58 am

We don't need better players.

We need ANOTHER set of new coaches.

:?

You ****ing people suck my balls.

GO BROWNS!!!

And I'll be at the Bucs game Sunday...wearing my paper bag. And Lightning cap.

Our FANS are the worst in the league. Hands down.
Alpha

Postby MJW » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:56 am

I get it Alpha. I totally do. Frankly, I didn't really want to fire Schiano for exactly the reasons you're saying. He didn't get a fair shake to show what he could do. He inherited a toxic player in Freeman leading a bad roster, and then he did a few goofy things that let the media write the narrative of his tenure. If he gets 2014, with HIS quarterback, and a healthy Revis, etc, things might be different.

I just don't have that vibe at all with Koetter. It feels much more like it did with Raheem. We hired a guy internally who nobody else had any interest in hiring, but who we were afraid to lose. He had some encouraging traits as an assistant (Koetter much, much more than Raheem) but we were projecting that onto a job he probably wasn't suited for. Both of these guys struck me as example of trying too hard to maintain continuity, not a disruption of it, you know? Do either of them win an open competition for the coaching job based on their resumes and interviews? I doubt it.

I'm all for building an investment portfolio instead of buying a lotto ticket. I know that's what you think we'd be doing here. But when you look at the regression from top to bottom, the lack of killer instinct, the poor game day decision-making...I don't feel like there's any chance this ends well at this point. And if I did, seeing him standing there half-asleep during the Evans brawl sealed it for me.
MJW

PreviousNext

Return to College Football/Draft Talk