In the 2018 NFL Draft the Tampa Bay Buccaneers select....

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Re: In the 2018 NFL Draft the Tampa Bay Buccaneers select...

Postby Cheb » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:59 pm

At this stage, Bradley Chubb is the slam dunk pick.
Cheb

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:29 pm

Cheb wrote:At this stage, Bradley Chubb is the slam dunk pick.

I'd like to compare him with Lorenzo Carter from Georgia, but at this point I agree.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Defense5599 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:58 pm

I third that because I have a chubby for Chubb.
TAMPAAAAAAAAAA!!!! BAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!
Defense5599

Postby Kress » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:40 am

DreadNaught wrote:
Bradley Chubb - NC State
Kress

Postby Kress » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:46 am

Funny the concensus, by the way. Do you remember how many of us slammed our heads against something really hard when we picked Barron over Kuechly? As much as I want to say that group board knowledge sucks, not so much sometimes.
Kress

Postby Cheb » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:14 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Cheb wrote:At this stage, Bradley Chubb is the slam dunk pick.

I'd like to compare him with Lorenzo Carter from Georgia, but at this point I agree.

Lorenzo Carter is about as skinny as LVD (five inches taller, nine pounds heavier). He has the build of a linebacker, not an end. In Carter's breakout game this year against Notre Dame, he was unblocked on nearly all of his impact plays. That does not impress me much. Carter plays high with heavy feet, and he is very undersized without possessing the elite quickness to make up for it.

His production also isn't great. He has only four sacks this year. His sack against Notre Dame came when he was unblocked. Two of his other sacks were against Samford, a lower division school. Drafting a pass rusher in the first few rounds who cannot sack the quarterback in college would be an infuriating move.

I wouldn't touch Carter until the fifth round. Maybe even the sixth.

Contrast that with Bradley Chubb, who ticks every box you want at defensive end. He's big enough, strong enough, fast enough, quick enough, is a skilled technician, has consistently good pursuit, is productive, makes impact plays, possesses leadership traits, and a squeaky clean off-field character. He's not Myles Garrett as a prospect (who is, except Clowney), but he's a damn fine defensive end who would provide impact snaps from day one.
Cheb

Postby Super K » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:22 am

Chubb looks/plays like the big, strong, mean DEs that I've longed to see on our squad (Suggs, Ware, etc)...

Carter plays like the smaller, quicker style ends whom we usually go after..all speed/finesse around the edge..

Which means we'll probably draft Carter and we can all cry about missing out on Chubb for the next decade..
Super K

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:41 am

Guys like Danielle Hunter for the Vikings and Leonard Floyd for the Bears were those tall lanky types as prospects.

Everyone wants the speed+power+size combo, but EDGE defenders in the NFL these days is all about getting to the QB in under 3 seconds. We already have a stout run stopping DE in Gholston so whatever DE draft in whatever round needs to be a guy that can rush the damn QB.

I favor the Bradley Chubb types b/c he's a 3 down player, but if we're not drafting top 15 we won't have a chance at him most likely. But an EDGE rushers ability to rush the QB will be the #1 trait I look for when I start diving into draft prospects and I'm not going to shy away from the lanky type of 'tweeners' as much b/c I really don't think it matters as much in todays NFL where everything is situational and sub-package with the D-line.

The most effective D-lines have depth and bring pass rushers in waves. Having a Will Gholston is valuable, but having 2-3 situational rushers to bring consistent heat off the edge on passing downs is what we need to add. I think Noah Spence can be once of those, but we need couple more. If one of those can be a Chubb or Arden Key type of everydown DE than that is even better. But we have to get better players rushing the QB off the edge imo.
DreadNaught

Postby Nano » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:30 pm

PFF did their 1st mock draft of the season

8. TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS
DI Maurice Hurst, Michigan
The nation’s top-graded defensive player at 95.5 overall, Hurst is disruptive against the run and as a pass-rusher. He’s built in the mold of current Bucs defensive tackle Gerald McCoy, but it can’t hurt to have two disruptors up front, especially in the age of multiple defensive fronts and high subpackage usage. Hurst has been dominant in his 1,233 career snaps and an interior havoc-creator is coveted in today’s NFL.
Nano

Postby Kress » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:09 pm

Nano wrote:PFF did their 1st mock draft of the season

8. TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS
DI Maurice Hurst, Michigan
The nation’s top-graded defensive player at 95.5 overall, Hurst is disruptive against the run and as a pass-rusher. He’s built in the mold of current Bucs defensive tackle Gerald McCoy, but it can’t hurt to have two disruptors up front, especially in the age of multiple defensive fronts and high subpackage usage. Hurst has been dominant in his 1,233 career snaps and an interior havoc-creator is coveted in today’s NFL.

Wow. This person used the phrase multiple defensive fronts in the same sentence as helping McCoy? Wat?!
Kress

Postby MJW » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:43 am

Super K wrote:Chubb looks/plays like the big, strong, mean DEs that I've longed to see on our squad (Suggs, Ware, etc)...

Carter plays like the smaller, quicker style ends whom we usually go after..all speed/finesse around the edge..

Which means we'll probably draft Carter and we can all cry about missing out on Chubb for the next decade..

I go the other way. Chubb will be an excellent NFL pro, but playing end with the body of a 3 Tech makes me wonder if he's ever going to be a 12-15 sack guy off the edge. Blame it on Adrian Clayborn hangover (even if he's a much better prospect.) I reserve the right to back off that if he has stellar workouts.

You seem to be having Noah Spence hangover, which I get.

What I'd really like to do with Chubb is bulk him up to 290 and put him inside. That I could see working out well. But I'm always going to err on the side of the guys with lightning quickness and a great first step.
MJW

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:46 am

MJW wrote:
Super K wrote:Chubb looks/plays like the big, strong, mean DEs that I've longed to see on our squad (Suggs, Ware, etc)...

I go the other way. Chubb will be an excellent NFL pro, but playing end with the body of a 3 Tech makes me wonder if he's ever going to be a 12-15 sack guy off the edge. Blame it on Adrian Clayborn hangover (even if he's a much better prospect.) I reserve the right to back off that if he has stellar workouts.

You seem to be having Noah Spence hangover, which I get.

What I'd really like to do with Chubb is bulk him up to 290 and put him inside. That I could see working out well. But I'm always going to err on the side of the guys with lightning quickness and a great first step.

That still leaves the edge. Since you brought up playing end with the body of a 3 tech, I wonder if a specimen could turn mass into muscle and quickness. Drop 30 pounds and become a quick 4.6 solid rock beast?

I mean how many college coaches say "son, I want you to bulk up because I need you to play defensive tackle".
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:40 am

Are we seeing again that the draft is not slammed full of defensive end prospects, or do we need to look much much closer.
mdb1958

Postby MJW » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:40 am

mdb1958 wrote:Are we seeing again that the draft is not slammed full of defensive end prospects, or do we need to look much much closer.

As of right now, it's not. Arden Key getting fat and regressing was a huge blow. I'm not on the Bradley Chubb bandwagon so I'm not sure there's a sure thing in the bunch IMHO. It might end up making more sense to look at a BPA prospect like Derwin James or Mike McGlinchy.
MJW

Postby Brazen331 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:57 am

MJW wrote:
mdb1958 wrote:Are we seeing again that the draft is not slammed full of defensive end prospects, or do we need to look much much closer.

As of right now, it's not. Arden Key getting fat and regressing was a huge blow. I'm not on the Bradley Chubb bandwagon so I'm not sure there's a sure thing in the bunch IMHO. It might end up making more sense to look at a BPA prospect like Derwin James or Mike McGlinchy.

I’m thinking the 1st 2 or even 3 picks will be QBs so given the way we are playing I think we could add a player like Barkley or James.

With Evans beginning to show some promise James would be a great selection. You can basically line James up anywhere except DT. He isn’t playing as well this year but he is as instinctive as it gets.
Brazen331

Postby MJW » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:04 am

Brazen331 wrote:
MJW wrote:

I’m thinking the 1st 2 or even 3 picks will be QBs so given the way we are playing I think we could add a player like Barkley or James.

With Evans beginning to show some promise James would be a great selection. You can basically line James up anywhere except DT. He isn’t playing as well this year but he is as instinctive as it gets.

James is having a down year, but man he's put some freaky tape up already. I don't think we could go wrong with him, and along with Evans that could be something to behold.

I think OBP is going to *want* to go DE or CB, barring a very active March. I just don't know if that jives with a top five pick at this point. But a lot can change of course. I haven't really fallen in love with a prospect yet at the top of this class (besides the guy in the last paragraph.) On paper, Fitzpatrick makes a lot of sense. Big boundary corner, would allow VHIII to move inside, etc. But man Alabama defenders scare me. For every Landon Collins there are five Milliners.

I'd also like to put this out there and keep putting this out there - if we're committed to Jameis long-term, we need to surround him with receivers who can clean up his throws down the field. Jackson won't be here forever. The way this year has gone, he might not be here in 2018. Godwin is a nice prospect. But I'm hoping OBP is considering Courtland Sutton. The guy has that thing. Along with Evans and Howard, we'd be unstoppable down the field.
MJW

Postby mdb1958 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:22 am

Winston has to be the one that cleans up his throws! You just drifted into fantasy with that. I'd trade up and pick OG Nelson before even thinking like that.

Then we would have a guard that Dallas wishes they had.
mdb1958

Postby MJW » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:18 am

mdb1958 wrote:Winston has to be the one that cleans up his throws! You just drifted into fantasy with that. I'd trade up and pick OG Nelson before even thinking like that.

I'm not sure I'd ever draft a pure guard in the top five honestly.
MJW

Postby Alpha » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:19 am

MJW wrote:
mdb1958 wrote:Winston has to be the one that cleans up his throws! You just drifted into fantasy with that. I'd trade up and pick OG Nelson before even thinking like that.

Neither would anyone else.

I do think you're being a little harsh on Spence. The fact is we haven't seen what he can do when healthy. The flip side to that is we may never.

I've had his injury (about 10 years ago). I'm not a professional athlete so I was given the option of having surgery and NOT having surgery. I opted for the NOT. I can still throw a football and swing a golf club, without hindrance...but my orthopedic told me that taking a severe hit/impact could cause the shoulder to re-dislocate (is that even a word)?

I don't KNOW Spence's exact circumstance and/or severity, other than what I've read about his shoulder and what's been described (in print) as his injury. IF it's true...been there...and this may be a "thing" that re-occurs...especially considering his profession.

He's opted for surgery (last year) and that didn't work out so well. It would be a shame if we don't get to see him at 100%....but I fully believe that his spotty play was entirely due to his injury as opposed to his lack of talent.
Alpha

Postby Brazen331 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:57 am

MJW wrote:
Brazen331 wrote:

James is having a down year, but man he's put some freaky tape up already. I don't think we could go wrong with him, and along with Evans that could be something to behold.

I think OBP is going to *want* to go DE or CB, barring a very active March. I just don't know if that jives with a top five pick at this point. But a lot can change of course. I haven't really fallen in love with a prospect yet at the top of this class (besides the guy in the last paragraph.) On paper, Fitzpatrick makes a lot of sense. Big boundary corner, would allow VHIII to move inside, etc. But man Alabama defenders scare me. For every Landon Collins there are five Milliners.

I'd also like to put this out there and keep putting this out there - if we're committed to Jameis long-term, we need to surround him with receivers who can clean up his throws down the field. Jackson won't be here forever. The way this year has gone, he might not be here in 2018. Godwin is a nice prospect. But I'm hoping OBP is considering Courtland Sutton. The guy has that thing. Along with Evans and Howard, we'd be unstoppable down the field.

Someone earlier in this thread was speculating that if we continue to lose and Gruden gets hired he would trade Winston and draft Rosen. Being that Gruden wanted to draft Jamal Adams 1st overall last year, I got to think he would want James.

Current mocks are suggesting you don’t need a top 5 or 6 pick to get James. But he is going to absolutely blow up the combine; it will be Melifonwu all over again. And unlike Obi, James knows how to play football so I got to think you will need a sky high pick in the end.
Brazen331

Postby MJW » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:05 am

Brazen331 wrote:
MJW wrote:

Someone earlier in this thread was speculating that if we continue to lose and Gruden gets hired he would trade Winston and draft Rosen. Being that Gruden wanted to draft Jamal Adams 1st overall last year, I got to think he would want James.

Current mocks are suggesting you don’t need a top 5 or 6 pick to get James. But he is going to absolutely blow up the combine; it will be Melifonwu all over again. And unlike Obi, James knows how to play football so I got to think you will need a sky high pick in the end.

I can buy in...enough...that Gruden might consider coming back. It's not that outlandish when all the facts are laid out. But I'm kind of wondering if he'd actually sit down with the Glazers to talk about it and say the words, "You have to let me trade Winston." And then I'm trying to imagine OBP giving the okay.

Winston's shortcomings are a major topic of discussion, and it seems obvious he's always going to have certain limitations as a quarterback...but the idea we'd dump him, after the way ownership seized on him as the face, heart, and soul of the organization...man, that's tough to imagine. It would either be brilliant and ballsy or totally insane.
MJW

Postby mdb1958 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:17 am

Brazen331 wrote:
MJW wrote:

Need I remind you of when Obi was drafted
Last edited by mdb1958 on Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:23 am

MJW wrote:

You said pure guard and I didnt say top five.
mdb1958

Postby MJW » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:31 am

mdb1958 wrote:
MJW wrote:

That's how it's going to shake out. Although we could trade down. We NEED a guard. The Pamphile/Smith duo is painful to watch and Sweezy is an awful pass blocker. I'm hopeful we open up the pocketbook for someone like Justin Pugh or Andrew Norwell. I fear we're going to have to deal with one more year of Donovan Smith at LT, and hopefully Demar Dotson has one more good year at RT.

This draft...if we alternated ends and corners every round I'd be okay with that depending on who's there.
MJW

Postby mdb1958 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:42 am

MJW wrote:
mdb1958 wrote:

That's how it's going to shake out. Although we could trade down. We NEED a guard. The Pamphile/Smith duo is painful to watch and Sweezy is an awful pass blocker. I'm hopeful we open up the pocketbook for someone like Justin Pugh or Andrew Norwell. I fear we're going to have to deal with one more year of Donovan Smith at LT, and hopefully Demar Dotson has one more good year at RT.

This draft...if we alternated ends and corners every round I'd be okay with that depending on who's there.

We have nine games to play, so I dont know where were picking. I'm just saying I wouldnt pick a WR in any round in the next draft.
mdb1958

Postby MJW » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:49 am

mdb1958 wrote:
MJW wrote:

We have nine games to play, so I dont know where were picking. I'm just saying I wouldnt pick a WR in any round in the next draft.

The only way I would is if Courtland Sutton was sitting there. He's not Randy Moss, but passing on him because we have Evans and Jackson/Godwin/Humphries would be almost as big a mistake as if the Vikings had passed on Moss because they had Carter and Jake Reed.

And then you keep in mind Jameis's style of play...his high throws and inaccurate short throws...and remember that this is what Courtland Sutton looks like:

Well, you get my point.
MJW

Postby mdb1958 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:12 am

I'm always thinking about selling my draft picks, you know this. It would be what will the guy right behind me offer.
mdb1958

Postby Heidguy » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:20 pm

I try never to be a homer, of
course. However! Kerryon Johnson rb at AU is having a great season! If he can finish strong against uga and bama he may be to high of a pick because I know he'll get added hype after combine/ pro day. But him and Doug together would be a sweet backfield and he'll take over after a while because he can do everything Doug can including catch! His patience has gotten great and is visible this season and on top of that he's showing some great shifty-ness as well, this added to the already known physicality and speed when 100% healthy! He's gonna be a good 1!
Heidguy

Postby Jason Bourne » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:44 pm

DreadNaught wrote:Arden Key - LSU

Bradley Chubb - NC State

Yep , I think Chubb is better tho
Jason Bourne

Postby MJW » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:17 pm

The GREAT news right now is the way this team is playing, we can pretty much go BPA with every pick and improve. No need to even think about pigeonholing needs. Tackles, Receivers, Ends, Corners, Safeties...it's pretty much all on the table. I seriously doubt we go TE or LB, but that's pretty much it!
And no, I didn't forget about quarterback...sadly.
MJW

PreviousNext

Return to College Football/Draft Talk