Why did tne Panthers draft Mcaffrey

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Re: Why did tne Panthers draft Mcaffrey

Postby beardmcdoug » Wed May 03, 2017 3:01 pm

I'd love to see Evans / Tandy starting week 1. They're similar, but I believe could play quite well together. Both can play in the box and Evans seems slightly rangier than Tandy, with Tandy more polished than Evans. Rotate Conte in for splash plays - that's what he's good at - not squaring up for 4 quarters
beardmcdoug

Postby Buc2 » Wed May 03, 2017 3:46 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:they drafted mccaffrey because they're dumb and like to spend rd 1 & 2 picks on busts (see: Shaq Thomson, Devin Funchess, Kelvin Benjamin, Amini Silatolu, Cam Newton, Jimmy Clausen, Everett Brown)

You just know you got Bootz chomping at the bit over this. Too bad he can't post until Monday. :lol:
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby MJW » Wed May 03, 2017 11:19 pm

Teitan wrote:
MJW wrote:
The one thing I keep reading about Evans are his instincts, which are supposedly top notch. I think that gives him a real chance.

BTW, I have no idea when we all decided Keith Tandy was Ed Reed.

Where are all the quotes of people comparing him to Reed?

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/hyperbole

Either you don't understand the concept or you just wasted ten seconds of my life.
MJW

Postby MJW » Wed May 03, 2017 11:31 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:I'd love to see Evans / Tandy starting week 1. They're similar, but I believe could play quite well together. Both can play in the box and Evans seems slightly rangier than Tandy, with Tandy more polished than Evans. Rotate Conte in for splash plays - that's what he's good at - not squaring up for 4 quarters

Did J.J. Wilcox die? If he's not starting week one, it represents another huge organization failure in free agency.

The battle here is between Tandy and Conte for the 3rd safety job. Wilcox was signed to start. Evans was drafted to start. Everyone likes to talk about how jobs are earned, and that's true, but if OBP was happy with Tandy and Conte, Wilcox and Evans aren't here.
MJW

Postby Caradoc » Thu May 04, 2017 12:25 am

MJW wrote:
beardmcdoug wrote:I'd love to see Evans / Tandy starting week 1. They're similar, but I believe could play quite well together. Both can play in the box and Evans seems slightly rangier than Tandy, with Tandy more polished than Evans. Rotate Conte in for splash plays - that's what he's good at - not squaring up for 4 quarters

Did J.J. Wilcox die? If he's not starting week one, it represents another huge organization failure in free agency.

The battle here is between Tandy and Conte for the 3rd safety job. Wilcox was signed to start. Evans was drafted to start. Everyone likes to talk about how jobs are earned, and that's true, but if OBP was happy with Tandy and Conte, Wilcox and Evans aren't here.

LOL. Slow your troll breadroll.

Wilcox will probably be starting with Tandy with Evans and Conte filling in. But if he's not it not like we paid 10 million a year and decide to bench him. He's a value FA, not a headliner, and even he acknowledges that.
Caradoc

Postby DreadNaught » Thu May 04, 2017 9:02 am

MJW wrote:

I'd love for Wilcox and Evans to be the starters. There style of play would be fun watch as a Safety duo.

I think Wilcox will probably start by week 3 of preseason if not before. Conte/Tandy are vets that know the scheme so I wouldn't be shocked to see them both starting when Camp starts for that reason. But Wilcox will get in there.

Evans on the other hand will be the clear 4th guy when camp begins and will have to beat out BOTH Conte and Tandy to start. We don't hand out starting spots to rookies anymore in Tampa (which is SO wonderful tbh). So Evans will have to come on in camp like Kwon did 2 years ago and prove he's the guy if he expects to start vs the Dolphins week 1.
DreadNaught

Postby real bucs fan » Thu May 04, 2017 11:24 am

I imagine Wilcox will be the starter at SS, with Conte backing him up. I expect there to be a battle at FS between Tandy and Evans, and I expect Tandy to win that battle, though admittedly it would be more fun for us fans if the rookie is out there.

Surprised so many are so quick to dismiss Tandy. The guy was the best safety in the league for those final 5 games last year (according to PFF, and that confirms the eye test and raw statline). Obviously I don't expect him to continue at that level, but should be very good in the least...
real bucs fan

Postby DreadNaught » Thu May 04, 2017 12:12 pm

real bucs fan wrote:I imagine Wilcox will be the starter at SS, with Conte backing him up. I expect there to be a battle at FS between Tandy and Evans, and I expect Tandy to win that battle, though admittedly it would be more fun for us fans if the rookie is out there.

Surprised so many are so quick to dismiss Tandy. The guy was the best safety in the league for those final 5 games last year (according to PFF, and that confirms the eye test and raw statline). Obviously I don't expect him to continue at that level, but should be very good in the least...

I think we all/most like Tandy. He's been a reliable back-up Safety that has survived 2 coaching changes. Tandy is always in the right position and usually makes the plays he's supposed to. He played the best ball of his career to close last season and I 100% agree he should start camp as a starter. BUT, Tandy has also been beaten out by Chris Conte two consecutive years and has some physical limitations. So we'll see if the 2nd half of 2016 was an aberration or that is who Tandy is. Either way I think the upside is much higher with Evans and he offers the physicality it seems we want to add that both Conte and Tandy are not capable of. So to me it's just a matter of when and not if Evans becomes the starting FS.

Also, it's virtually impossible to play an entire 16 games in the NFL and keep the same two starting safeties healthy. So like most years we'll be using our 3rd and 4th Safeties quite a bit.
DreadNaught

Postby real bucs fan » Thu May 04, 2017 12:24 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:I imagine Wilcox will be the starter at SS, with Conte backing him up. I expect there to be a battle at FS between Tandy and Evans, and I expect Tandy to win that battle, though admittedly it would be more fun for us fans if the rookie is out there.

I think we all/most like Tandy. He's been a reliable back-up Safety that has survived 2 coaching changes. Tandy is always in the right position and usually makes the plays he's supposed to. He played the best ball of his career to close last season and I 100% agree he should start camp as a starter. BUT, Tandy has also been beaten out by Chris Conte two consecutive years and has some physical limitations. So we'll see if the 2nd half of 2016 was an aberration or that is who Tandy is. Either way I think the upside is much higher with Evans and he offers the physicality it seems we want to add that both Conte and Tandy are not capable of. So to me it's just a matter of when and not if Evans becomes the starting FS.

Also, it's virtually impossible to play an entire 16 games in the NFL and keep the same two starting safeties healthy. So like most years we'll be using our 3rd and 4th Safeties quite a bit.

What sort of physical limitations does Tandy have? The guy is a fantastic athlete with decent size. Perhaps a bit short, but that didn't stop the Cards from drafting Budda Baker. And it's not like Evans is much bigger.

I agree that the Bucs didn't use pick #50 to have Evans warm the bench, but I just fail to see how anyone can watch Tandys tape last year in the NFL, then watch Evans tape in college... and conclude that Evans is going to beat out Tandy. Especially since Evans couldn't tackle to save his life last year.
real bucs fan

Postby Super K » Thu May 04, 2017 12:50 pm

Wasn't Tandy the guy whom got okie doked by Tavon Austin on a little flair/screen that went for a TD?

The guy played MUCH better the last 3rd of the season..but let's not act like we had Ed Reed hiding on our bench..
Super K

Postby DreadNaught » Thu May 04, 2017 1:15 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

What sort of physical limitations does Tandy have? The guy is a fantastic athlete with decent size. Perhaps a bit short, but that didn't stop the Cards from drafting Budda Baker. And it's not like Evans is much bigger.

I agree that the Bucs didn't use pick #50 to have Evans warm the bench, but I just fail to see how anyone can watch Tandys tape last year in the NFL, then watch Evans tape in college... and conclude that Evans is going to beat out Tandy. Especially since Evans couldn't tackle to save his life last year.

So Tandy is the best safety in the NFL and Evans can't tackle someone if his life depended on it. I'll agree to disagree at this point..

I guess there is no way Obi would've started for us either had we drafted him. I mean is the following not just as true in your opinion?

I agree that the Bucs didn't use pick #50 to have Obi warm the bench, but I just fail to see how anyone can watch Tandys tape last year in the NFL, then watch Obi's tape in college... and conclude that Obi is going to beat out Tandy.
DreadNaught

Postby real bucs fan » Thu May 04, 2017 1:20 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:

So Tandy is the best safety in the NFL and Evans can't tackle someone if his life depended on it. I'll agree to disagree at this point..

I guess there is no way Obi would've started for us either had we drafted him. I mean is the following not just as true in your opinion?

I agree that the Bucs didn't use pick #50 to have Obi warm the bench, but I just fail to see how anyone can watch Tandys tape last year in the NFL, then watch Obi's tape in college... and conclude that Obi is going to beat out Tandy.

Where did I say I'd start Obi over Tandy?
real bucs fan

Postby DreadNaught » Thu May 04, 2017 1:38 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

Where did I say I'd start Obi over Tandy?

So you don't think we should've drafted a Safety at all day 2?
DreadNaught

Postby real bucs fan » Thu May 04, 2017 1:46 pm

I wasn't planning on it, but Obi to me would be BPA. But with either he or Evans I think you let them compete for a job but ultimately I think Tandy is the starting FS.

Tandy is in the last year of his deal though and will be 29 and could get PAID if he has another big year. Having a guy redshirt for the year wouldn't be the end of the world.

Ultimately let the best player win. Maybe Tandy is a flash in the pan. I just expect Tandy to beat out a rook based on what I saw last year. Especially a rookie who struggles tackling.
real bucs fan

Postby terrytate » Thu May 04, 2017 2:00 pm

MJW wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:
I don't see Evans starting over Tandy as a rookie. As well, Cam would likely leave Evans grasping at dust in your scenario if he did lol.

The one thing I keep reading about Evans are his instincts, which are supposedly top notch. I think that gives him a real chance.

Matter of perspective. Compared to what we had been fielding at safety of late, Tandy looked like prime Ed Reed.

Based on what we saw of Tandy last year, it looks like he deserves a shot. Now, why can't we use Tandy and Evans together? It's like we would be taking an elite talent off the field by putting in Evans.
terrytate

Postby mdb1958 » Thu May 04, 2017 3:40 pm

The coaches will see whats going on and they will know who to start. Now if its a highly competitive decision, you would think they would still go with the most experience.
mdb1958

Postby MJW » Fri May 05, 2017 2:41 am

terrytate wrote:
MJW wrote:

Matter of perspective. Compared to what we had been fielding at safety of late, Tandy looked like prime Ed Reed.

Based on what we saw of Tandy last year, it looks like he deserves a shot. Now, why can't we use Tandy and Evans together? It's like we would be taking an elite talent off the field by putting in Evans.

We can probably use any combination of Wilcox, Conte, Tandy, and Evans we wish. And likely will. They're all versatile enough to handle either spot. But if you asked me which one of them will lead the safeties in snaps, I'd bet a decent sum on Wilcox, with Evans second.
MJW

Postby Teitan » Fri May 05, 2017 5:05 am

MJW wrote:
terrytate wrote:

We can probably use any combination of Wilcox, Conte, Tandy, and Evans we wish. And likely will. They're all versatile enough to handle either spot. But if you asked me which one of them will lead the safeties in snaps, I'd bet a decent sum on Wilcox, with Evans second.

Yeah. We definitely signed Wilcox to play. Evans will have to earn his play time but I mean... he has to beat Conte. So yeah he'll probably play a good amount. I'd say by mid-season once he's digested the defense.
Teitan

Postby Doctor » Tue May 09, 2017 11:13 am

While I expect JJ to win the starting job and be a good starter for us, I'd hit the brakes on the "we signed him to be a starter" talk. He got a $6M two year deal with only the first year locked in. This isn't a Goldson signing. He was brought in here to compete and earn his starting job. I think he will, but he isn't being given this. Heck if Bruce Carter can get a 4 year $17M deal and still lose his job, JJ is far from secure in any respect.

The safety jobs are wide open to whoever wins them. Period. IMO, it will be Tandy and Wilcox, but who knows.
Doctor

Postby MJW » Tue May 09, 2017 2:31 pm

Doctor wrote:While I expect JJ to win the starting job and be a good starter for us, I'd hit the brakes on the "we signed him to be a starter" talk. He got a $6M two year deal with only the first year locked in. This isn't a Goldson signing. He was brought in here to compete and earn his starting job. I think he will, but he isn't being given this. Heck if Bruce Carter can get a 4 year $17M deal and still lose his job, JJ is far from secure in any respect.

The safety jobs are wide open to whoever wins them. Period. IMO, it will be Tandy and Wilcox, but who knows.

I wasn't trying to imply he'll be handed anything. When I say, "We signed him to the be the starter," that's exactly what I mean. He still has to hold up his end of the deal, though. My point is that it's not like he's Robert McClain. We did not sign Robert McClain to be the starter. If Robert McClain starts, something likely went wrong.

I think Wilcox is what Goldson was supposed to be, and he'll play that role well '- stopping the run, breaking up passes underneath, etc. I think for all the kvetching about Evans's missed tackles, he's a natural centerfielder and he will excel at breaking on passes down the field. Tandy I see as a situational guy who can back up Evans, play the slot, etc. Conte I like the least, but he can likely back up either safety spot. It's a good group.
MJW

Postby real bucs fan » Tue May 09, 2017 5:01 pm

I think we see Wilcox at SS, with Tandy and Evans battling for the FS job- and the loser becoming our NB.
real bucs fan

Postby MJW » Wed May 10, 2017 11:57 pm

real bucs fan wrote:I think we see Wilcox at SS, with Tandy and Evans battling for the FS job- and the loser becoming our NB.

That's a sane prediction, and my money is on Evans winning that spot.

Remember the speech Marcellus Wallace gives in "Pulp Fiction?" If Tandy was going to do something, he'd have done it by now. Kudos to him for sticking around and growing into a quality football player. I mean that. But his limitations are what they are.
MJW

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu May 11, 2017 10:31 am

Not sure how this conversation ended up being about our safety position.....Anyway.

The Panthers drafted McCaffrey because they needed someone on their offense who could create for themself besides Cam. McCaffrey helps out in multiple phases of their offense. He's a great compliment to what Jonathan Stewart brings to the table. They made a good pick.
Bootz2004

Postby Doctor » Thu May 11, 2017 11:53 am

MJW wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:I think we see Wilcox at SS, with Tandy and Evans battling for the FS job- and the loser becoming our NB.

Remember the speech Marcellus Wallace gives in "Pulp Fiction?" If Tandy was going to do something, he'd have done it by now. Kudos to him for sticking around and growing into a quality football player. I mean that. But his limitations are what they are.

Indeed. In 24 starts he's had 125 tackles and 6 INTs. That's not going to change. Oh, my bad, those were John Lynch's stats over his first four years. Silly me.

Tandy has 12 starts, 104 tackles, and 8 INTs. He's also had the pleasure of learning 3 completely new defenses in his time here. I think you're in for a pleasant surprise this year MJW.
Doctor

Postby MJW » Fri May 12, 2017 11:45 pm

Doctor wrote:
MJW wrote:

Indeed. In 24 starts he's had 125 tackles and 6 INTs. That's not going to change. Oh, my bad, those were John Lynch's stats over his first four years. Silly me.

Tandy has 12 starts, 104 tackles, and 8 INTs. He's also had the pleasure of learning 3 completely new defenses in his time here. I think you're in for a pleasant surprise this year MJW.

You're trying too hard. He's a solid, serviceable player, but we didn't draft Justin Evans in the 2nd round to sit behind a solid, serviceable player. I like Tandy. I like him in coverage, I like him in the slot, and I like his versatility. But much like the Humph/Godwin debate, unless the superior athlete is missing something mentally, the inferior athlete is on borrowed time.
MJW

Postby mdb1958 » Tue May 16, 2017 7:36 am

Doctor wrote:While I expect JJ to win the starting job and be a good starter for us, I'd hit the brakes on the "we signed him to be a starter" talk. He got a $6M two year deal with only the first year locked in. This isn't a Goldson signing. He was brought in here to compete and earn his starting job. I think he will, but he isn't being given this. Heck if Bruce Carter can get a 4 year $17M deal and still lose his job, JJ is far from secure in any respect.

Your right. This is an open competition for both safety positions and right now without a doubt, Evans and Wilcox are behind, way behind. You get to showcase your talents after you know everything your supposed to do and that includes the other ten players on defense.
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Tue May 16, 2017 8:46 am

Heck, they're even behind Ryan Smith who studied all last year. Yes, even if he is moving back to cornerback.
mdb1958

Postby Deuce » Tue May 16, 2017 1:24 pm

I'd bet that the starting safeties come Week 1 are Tandy and Wilcox. Evans will probably get snaps and could eventually start but I don't see him winning the job Week 1 over Tandy or Wilcox.
Deuce

Postby VauntedTampa2 » Tue May 16, 2017 1:40 pm

The more time Evans has to work on his craft before being thrown into the starting line-up, the better. Unless he's blowing the coaches away each and every day during practice, I say let Conte be the 3rd safety behind Wilcox and Tandy.

I actually like our safeties right now. All four have the ability to play SS or FS. Tandy played very well during the last half of the year. Conte is a solid back-up. Evans is the raw youngin', oozing with potential. Wilcox is still TBD.

Talked to a fellow colleague (Cowgirls' fan) at school yesterday, and he was pretty upset to see Wilcox go. He said he was steadily improving each time he was on the field. Said he was a year away from being really good. My father is also a die-hard cowboys' fan, and essentially said the same thing.
VauntedTampa2

Postby BucaRican » Wed May 31, 2017 10:18 am

I think the biggest reach was no one in the top 18 grabbing by far a bonifide 6'6 monster of TE. I thought the Bears should have grabbed another weapon for Glennon and given him a chance.
BucaRican

PreviousNext

Return to College Football/Draft Talk