Why did tne Panthers draft Mcaffrey

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Why did tne Panthers draft Mcaffrey

Postby tjax03 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:57 am

What is he going to do for them? How does he even fit in their offense?

Cam holds the ball too long and likes to throw to tall Wr's that can run open. Cams short game is putrid. Their oline is trash. So do they expect mccaffrey to run 80 yard reverses

Ross wouldve been a better fit for their team.
tjax03

Re: Why did tne Panthers draft Mcaffrey

Postby Jason Bourne » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:02 pm

Maybe they wanted a RB
Jason Bourne

Postby mdb1958 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:07 pm

For both their top two picks - misdirection.
mdb1958

Postby Teitan » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:45 pm

They need a young talented RB on their roster. Cam needs a check down target. Maybe he won't hold the ball so long if he can dump it to McCaffrey.

And then they drafted Samuel who is just as much a speed threat at WR as Ross, so....
Teitan

Postby Bootz2004 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:58 pm

mdb1958 wrote:For both their top two picks - misdirection.

Maybe the want to misdirect defenses into thinking they will use misdirection.
Bootz2004

Postby real bucs fan » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:04 pm

Worst pick of round 1 IMHO.
real bucs fan

Postby Teitan » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:13 pm

real bucs fan wrote:Worst pick of round 1 IMHO.

I disagree.
Teitan

Postby threadkiller » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:22 pm

The QBs are the worst picks. The Bears took a guy with very little film that doesn't jump off the leadership screen, imo. I didn't watch him, so maybe it was great film, but he was a huge reach. Christian will be a productive NFL player, imo. I think it will be at WR more than RB. With he and Samuel going to the Panthers, I think the Panthers got weapons to pair with KB and what ever is left of Olsen to open the field back up for Cam. Samuel is more developmental, I think McCaffrey goes right into the slot, primarily, and is an impact player as a rookie.

My hope is that Stewart is crashing into decline and they play McCaffrey as their primary ball carrier. I think he would struggle in that role.
threadkiller

Postby Teitan » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:25 pm

I get the QB picks. Gotta get one. But the Bears gave up way too much.

For me the biggest reach in round 1 was Adoree Jackson
Teitan

Postby Pewterslimsme » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:08 pm

They're going to run the wildcat zone read every play.

We're dead.
Pewterslimsme

Postby Corsair » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:11 pm

McCaffrey is actually a great complement for Stewart, as they do different things. Stewart is great on first and second down when he is healthy and McCaffrey is great on the perimeter and in the passing game.

I just don't think there is great value for a complementary back at 8th overall. I don't see McCaffrey pulling the load if Stewart gets hurt or moves on in the future.

He is a weapon, though. But the more he sees the field, the more their running game is probably struggling.
Corsair

Postby Doctor » Mon May 01, 2017 9:37 am

Teitan wrote:I get the QB picks. Gotta get one. But the Bears gave up way too much.

I disagree with everyone shitting on the Bears. They gave up a pair of 3rd and a 4th to secure who they think is a franchise QB. People have given up three 1sts to do that. I think the Bears did well.

McC can be the change of pace from Stewart. They needed another back. He also offers a lot in the pass and check down game. Curtis Samuel can also help, particularly from the slot. The Panthers were a slow team last year that just got a whole lot faster.
Doctor

Postby Buc2 » Mon May 01, 2017 12:34 pm

Doctor wrote:
Teitan wrote:I get the QB picks. Gotta get one. But the Bears gave up way too much.

I disagree with everyone shitting on the Bears. They gave up a pair of 3rd and a 4th to secure who they think is a franchise QB. People have given up three 1sts to do that. I think the Bears did well.

McC can be the change of pace from Stewart. They needed another back. He also offers a lot in the pass and check down game. Curtis Samuel can also help, particularly from the slot. The Panthers were a slow team last year that just got a whole lot faster.

You're one of the few that aren't shitting on the Bears pick(s). Hell, it appears that some within the Bears organization are shitting on the Bears pick(s).

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports "things are not great between" Bears GM Ryan Pace and coach John Fox, and the situation "reached a nadir" in Thursday night's decision to pay a ransom for Mitchell Trubisky at No. 2 overall.

"We don't know what the hell they were doing," said one NFL executive whose team is routinely in the postseason. "It's all anyone is talking about. It's really bad between Pace and Fox. ... From the first pick on, we can't figure out what they were doing. Go back and look at how many small-school kids they took. People around the league are shocked. It's really bad between Pace and Fox." La Canfora suggests the Bears are already eyeballing coaching candidates for the future, namely Northwestern's Pat Fitzgerald. The in-fighting in Chicago could conceivably lead to Trubisky seeing the field long before he's ready.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Caradoc » Mon May 01, 2017 6:19 pm

McAfferey runs between th tackles much better than people give him credit for. The problem I see with them is his best attribute is how creatively you can use him. (Samuel too). I just don't see Shula as being the guy who can do that. And I dont see Cam as a guy who can execute that.
Caradoc

Postby Super K » Mon May 01, 2017 7:27 pm

Speaking of the ***** cats...

HIGHLY looking forward to Cam trying to do his little QB run/sweep BS and Justin Evans decapitating his pompous ass..

Think Evan's Derek Henry Hit highlight..
Super K

Postby GameTime » Tue May 02, 2017 10:42 am

Doctor wrote:

Did they do well? Or did they get played? Any other team would have probably had to give up at the very least a first to trade with SF. Was soloman thomas that important to them? The bears could have stayed put and in all likelihood drafted godwin to catch passes from trubisky. Or better yet, id love to hear the actual scout breakdowns of trubisky vs darnold/rosen/etc. build your roster this year and go all in a the "sure" thing next year if glennon isnt the guy you paid for.
GameTime

Postby Caradoc » Tue May 02, 2017 6:50 pm

As bad as what the Bears did looked on draft day it looks about a thousand times worse today.
Caradoc

Postby real bucs fan » Tue May 02, 2017 7:31 pm

Super K wrote:Speaking of the ***** cats...

HIGHLY looking forward to Cam trying to do his little QB run/sweep BS and Justin Evans decapitating his pompous ass..

I don't see Evans starting over Tandy as a rookie. As well, Cam would likely leave Evans grasping at dust in your scenario if he did lol.
real bucs fan

Postby Super K » Tue May 02, 2017 7:38 pm

real bucs fan wrote:

I don't see Evans starting over Tandy as a rookie. As well, Cam would likely leave Evans grasping at dust in your scenario if he did lol.

****ing dream killer.... ;)
Super K

Postby MJW » Wed May 03, 2017 5:10 am

real bucs fan wrote:

The one thing I keep reading about Evans are his instincts, which are supposedly top notch. I think that gives him a real chance.

BTW, I have no idea when we all decided Keith Tandy was Ed Reed.
MJW

Postby Teitan » Wed May 03, 2017 7:22 am

MJW wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:

The one thing I keep reading about Evans are his instincts, which are supposedly top notch. I think that gives him a real chance.

Where are all the quotes of people comparing him to Reed?
Teitan

Postby beardmcdoug » Wed May 03, 2017 8:05 am

they drafted mccaffrey because they're dumb and like to spend rd 1 & 2 picks on busts (see: Shaq Thomson, Devin Funchess, Kelvin Benjamin, Amini Silatolu, Cam Newton, Jimmy Clausen, Everett Brown)
beardmcdoug

Postby DreadNaught » Wed May 03, 2017 8:09 am

Teitan wrote:
MJW wrote: I have no idea when we all decided Keith Tandy was Ed Reed.

Where are all the quotes of people comparing him to Reed?

Nowhere

Tandy is a back up though. He played well for a few games late in the season and is a reliable back-up, but very limited. Tandy also got exposed in the Rams game and like the rest of the Safeties didn't play well early in the season. There is a reason Tandy hasn't beat Conte out the past few seasons.

Tandy and Conte are like the same player to me so I really don't care who starts until Evans is ready, but I'd bet Evans is starting by November. Imo Wilcox and Evans have a similar aggressiveness Mike Smith wants and that was a reason each were targeted this offseason and brought in.
DreadNaught

Postby DreadNaught » Wed May 03, 2017 8:12 am

beardmcdoug wrote:they drafted mccaffrey because they're dumb and like to spend rd 1 & 2 picks on busts (see: Shaq Thomson, Devin Funchess, Kelvin Benjamin, Amini Silatolu, Cam Newton, Jimmy Clausen, Everett Brown)

I like McCaffery and Samuel, but the Bucs defense always does better vs speed than they do vs power. I didn't want Fournette in the division and am glad the Jags scooped him up.
DreadNaught

Postby Naismith » Wed May 03, 2017 8:51 am

I'm glad Fournette isn't in Carolina but McCaffrey is going to be extremely tough, especially playing with a mobile QB like Cam. I definitely get what Carolina was looking to do and how they think McCaffrey's going to help Cam out.
Naismith

Postby Doctor » Wed May 03, 2017 9:59 am

MJW wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:

Don't be a fool, he's not, and no one has said that. He's a veteran who's been developed in this system and is heavily favored to earn a starting spot. In doing so he's earned a lot of praise and hope from the fan base. You know, that thing we usually just give freely to rookies willy-nilly because they are the new shiny thing. Only Tandy got it the hard way.

I get that for a fan base like ours if a player doesn't go on to "Tanard Jackson" or "Mike Williams" or "Kwon Alexander" a position right from the gate he'll forever be considered some back up scrub we need to replace with a new toy next year. But we have to let that mindset go. We are a good team now, and as such we can develop players. That means guys that didn't play anything their first or second year (or by golly even their third!) can become a good starter for us in their third or fourth year when they've developed.
Doctor

Postby DreadNaught » Wed May 03, 2017 10:07 am

Doctor wrote: He's a veteran who's been developed in this system and is heavily favored to earn a starting spot.

What odds will you give me?
DreadNaught

Postby Doctor » Wed May 03, 2017 10:18 am

That Tandy will be the starting safety? 2:3
Doctor

Postby DreadNaught » Wed May 03, 2017 10:32 am

Doctor wrote:That Tandy will be the starting safety? 2:3

Gotcha, I have a different definition of heavily favored.

Tandy has a chance, I don't know it's a better chance than Conte though tbh. It'll be interesting to see who takes 1st team reps initially during Camp to where the staff is leaning even though I'm sure it's going to be an open competition. Maybe both Conte and Tandy start initially since they've been here.

I think Wilcox is a starter by week 3 of the preseason, and Evans along with him by November (hopefully). No hate on Tamdy or Conte, I've said repeatedly I like them as back-ups, but their JAG's and hopefully the new guys are upgrades for Mike Smith's defense.
DreadNaught

Postby Doctor » Wed May 03, 2017 1:00 pm

I think it ends up being Tandy/Wilcox. I think Evans will rotate in his fair share, but I doubt he wins a starting job at any point in the season.
Doctor

Next

Return to College Football/Draft Talk