Why did tne Panthers draft Mcaffrey

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Re: Why did tne Panthers draft Mcaffrey

Postby MJW » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:54 am

BucaRican wrote:I think the biggest reach was no one in the top 18 grabbing by far a bonifide 6'6 monster of TE. I thought the Bears should have grabbed another weapon for Glennon and given him a chance.

Are you saying they should have taken him at #3?

The only team that really shocked me passing on him was the Titans at #18. They had to have been thinking about him at #5. Delanie Walker is awesome but he's 32 and Howard would have done much for their exotic smashmouth thingee.

I would love to know about the trade-down offer we were supposedly ready to accept before we changed our minds for him.
MJW

Postby Brazen331 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:16 am

MJW wrote:
BucaRican wrote:I think the biggest reach was no one in the top 18 grabbing by far a bonifide 6'6 monster of TE. I thought the Bears should have grabbed another weapon for Glennon and given him a chance.

The only team that really shocked me passing on him was the Titans at #18. They had to have been thinking about him at #5. Delanie Walker is awesome but he's 32 and Howard would have done much for their exotic smashmouth thingee.

I would love to know about the trade-down offer we were supposedly ready to accept before we changed our minds for him.

If the Titans selected Howard I really think we would have drafted Adoree Jackson.
Brazen331

Postby MJW » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:31 am

Brazen331 wrote:
MJW wrote:

If the Titans selected Howard I really think we would have drafted Adoree Jackson.

I didn't like him. He's a better athlete than cornerback. You look at the great corners to come into the league, the vast majority of them were the opposite. Richard Sherman, Darrelle Revis, Josh Norman, Joe Haden...they were all obviously talented athletes, but they were better corners who understood the position and what coverage was. I think it's a position with a particular skill-set somewhat unrelated from pure athletic ability, like quarterback. Not sure if Jackson is that guy.
MJW

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:08 pm

Brazen331 wrote:
MJW wrote:

I think we would have taken Cook.

In regards to where Howard should have gone, I'm surprised he fell past the Panthers at 8. I know the rumours of the Panthers and McCaffery were floating around, but I just think Howard is the better prospect and would have helped that offence more. He and Olsen together would have been perfect for Cam, plus Olsen is starting to get up there.
real bucs fan

Postby MJW » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:41 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
Brazen331 wrote:

In regards to where Howard should have gone, I'm surprised he fell past the Panthers at 8. I know the rumours of the Panthers and McCaffery were floating around, but I just think Howard is the better prospect and would have helped that offence more. He and Olsen together would have been perfect for Cam, plus Olsen is starting to get up there.

I honestly thought there was a great chance he'd go to the Titans at 5, which is why I was shocked they passed on him at #18 too.

With the Panthers, once Fournette was gone, I thought it'd be Lattimore.
MJW

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:02 am

MJW wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:

I honestly thought there was a great chance he'd go to the Titans at 5, which is why I was shocked they passed on him at #18 too.

Ya, Fournette was their guy I think. with him gone, they decided to go with the #2 offensive guy and for them that was McCaffery (which I believe was a mistake).

Lattimore, if the injury concerns are not legit, is gonna be a friggin stud though. Would be happier with the Panthers passing on him if he didn't end up in NO. I think he can be a lockdown guy, and those guys don't come around often.
real bucs fan

Postby MJW » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:04 am

real bucs fan wrote:
MJW wrote:

Ya, Fournette was their guy I think. with him gone, they decided to go with the #2 offensive guy and for them that was McCaffery (which I believe was a mistake).

Lattimore, if the injury concerns are not legit, is gonna be a friggin stud though. Would be happier with the Panthers passing on him if he didn't end up in NO. I think he can be a lockdown guy, and those guys don't come around often.

Yeah, when the dust settled he was the one dude I saw in this group with the stuff to be an elite cover corner right out the gate. Frankly him falling out of the Top Ten was a bigger shock to me than OJ falling to #19.
MJW

Postby Naismith » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:21 am

MJW wrote:Yeah, when the dust settled he was the one dude I saw in this group with the stuff to be an elite cover corner right out the gate. Frankly him falling out of the Top Ten was a bigger shock to me than OJ falling to #19.

I predicted Lattimore would fall out of the top ten for the same reason I don't think he'll be a very good pro; his hamstrings. I don't think it's very likely he'll be someone they can consistently rely on because players with hammy issues tend to always have hammy issues.
Naismith

Postby MJW » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:28 am

Naismith wrote:
MJW wrote:Yeah, when the dust settled he was the one dude I saw in this group with the stuff to be an elite cover corner right out the gate. Frankly him falling out of the Top Ten was a bigger shock to me than OJ falling to #19.

I predicted Lattimore would fall out of the top ten for the same reason I don't think he'll be a very good pro; his hamstrings. I don't think it's very likely he'll be someone they can consistently rely on because players with hammy issues tend to always have hammy issues.

It's a fair point. Hammies are a tricky business. Probably next to lingering foot issues in terms of quiet career killers.
MJW

Postby BucaRican » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:06 pm

MJW wrote:

Yes, Chicago Bears should have stayed put and drafted help for a QB they gave up a bunch of money for. Would have gave Glennon a huge out valve. They sold the future for a future nfl bust at QB.
BucaRican

Previous

Return to College Football/Draft Talk