AO's Final 2017 3 Round Buccaneers Mock Draft

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
AO's Final 2017 3 Round Buccaneers Mock Draft

Postby Agent Orange » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:14 pm

I did this the other day but it timed out on me. I don't mock what the Bucs will do, I mock what I would do if I were the Bucs. I have already put out what I think the Bucs will do. I also don't mock trades. Here is what I would do...

1(19) OJ Howard, TE, Alabama - I have a feeling he will be available at 19 overall. I look at the teams drafting in front of us and I just don't see any of them taking him. I would love to be able to line up Evans, Jackson, Brate and Howard out there. Winston will have a field day.

2(50) Sidney Jones, CB, Washington - 1st round talent. Put him on IR and if he is healthy this year great, if not next year we have two young CBs both 1st round talent so we would be set at the position for a while.

3(84) Marlon Mack RB USF - Explosive playmaker that if given space can take it to the house. Six of his fifteen TDs this year went for 40+ Yards. He is an excellent pass catcher as well. I just think he should and will be a Buc. If it's not Cook in the 1st we will get Mack.
Agent Orange

Re: AO's Final 2017 3 Round Buccaneers Mock Draft

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:18 pm

Howard at 19 would be a dream, but very unlikely. Jones is very much on my radar but I think 50 is too rich for him considering the healthy talent at the position that would be available there. Howard, Foreman, and Jones with our first 3 and I'm dancing naked in the streets.
real bucs fan

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:25 pm

I don't think you have to take Mack in the third to get him.

Other than that, the first two rounds are fine by me if it works out that way.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Cheb » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:47 pm

If Howard drops to 19, I would be incredibly surprised if we didn't select him. As others have said, I doubt he does.

I like Sidney Jones, and have no issue with drafting him. He is a great player, and he has a 4-6 month recovery period. He could potentially be playing week one, but week 4-5 is more realistic. He would upgrade the secondary and be the heir apparent to Grimes. However, I question whether or not his playstyle fits what Mike Smith wants on defense. We're it up to me, I'd pull the trigger here.

I have mocked Mack to us myself. Two issues here. One, there's little he can do that Sims can't also do. Two, you may have overdrafted him.

All in all, a solid if uninspired effort. We will find out tomorrow and in the next coming days how it shakes out.
Cheb

Postby uscbucsfan » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:07 pm

There is no indication that OJ Howard will make it to 19. All sources, mocks, experts, etc...have him as a top 10 or even top 5 player, but obviously we would jump on it if given the chance. I can count 11 teams that have a chance to take him before us (Tennessee has 2 chances).
uscbucsfan

Postby Doctor » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:39 pm

As usual it depend on who we left on the board at 19, but Howard could very well be BPA. Would be happy with this haul. Love Jones.
Doctor

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:54 pm

Just imagine we traded our 2nd rounder to move up for Howard and this mock becomes more realistic.
real bucs fan

Postby Sammich » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:32 am

I appreciate the effort you've put into it, but I'm not a huge fan.

Howard will never make it to 19.
Taking Jones to redshirt for a year I'd be perfectly fine with.
I think Mack is too similar to Sims. We need a guy that is an inside threat.
Sammich

Postby Agent Orange » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:19 am

Tight Ends aren't chosen much in the first round. Last year not one TE was chosen in the 1st round. In 2016 zero TE's were taken in the first round. In the last five drafts only two TE's have been taken in the first round, So you guys want to tell me that two TE's are going to be taken in the top 20 this year? I just don't see it. Both are workout warriors. They will be around.
Agent Orange

Postby Alpha » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:42 am

Agent Orange wrote:Tight Ends aren't chosen much in the first round. Last year not one TE was chosen in the 1st round. In 2016 zero TE's were taken in the first round. In the last five drafts only two TE's have been taken in the first round, So you guys want to tell me that two TE's are going to be taken in the top 20 this year? I just don't see it. Both are workout warriors. They will be around.

And Safeties aren't chosen in the top 5...but there will be this year.

**** happens.

The fact is...most mock drafts have Howard going well before 19. And I'm not a Howard guy...but he runs a 4.5 40 at 250 pounds...and can actually catch the ball (Hi, Stocker!)

He's going in the top 15.

Good effort though.
Alpha

Postby Teitan » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:58 am

Agent Orange wrote:Tight Ends aren't chosen much in the first round. Last year not one TE was chosen in the 1st round. In 2016 zero TE's were taken in the first round. In the last five drafts only two TE's have been taken in the first round, So you guys want to tell me that two TE's are going to be taken in the top 20 this year? I just don't see it. Both are workout warriors. They will be around.

That's because this draft is stacked at tight end. I could see 3 going. The Titans have two picks before us and have an aged Delanie Walker on their roster. Could definitely see them using a pick there.
Teitan

Postby Agent Orange » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:30 am

You cannot deny the facts. These two TEs did not light it up in college. Both came into the conversation around senior bowl time. The teams drafting ahead of us have more pressing needs. TE's rarely get drafted in the 1st round. I don't see any reason the think both won't be on the board when we pick.
Agent Orange

Postby threadkiller » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:50 am

I wanted to argue against that, but Hunter Henry came into my mind. I might well have Hunter first among the 3 as prospects and he went in the mid 30's. Hunter was an extremely clean prospect as well, with excellent tape. I guess he didn't verify elite athleticism like David and OJ, but that goes further to the point you just made. Neither of these TE really put up first round TE tape.
threadkiller

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:56 am

Agent Orange wrote:You cannot deny the facts. These two TEs did not light it up in college. Both came into the conversation around senior bowl time. The teams drafting ahead of us have more pressing needs. TE's rarely get drafted in the 1st round. I don't see any reason the think both won't be on the board when we pick.

Every year is different. Every indication from teams, scouts, talking heads, etc. are that at least 2 will be drafted in the first round this year. It's a safer bet to believe Howard will not be there at 19 than he will. If he fell, that would be great, but at this point it's not realistic.
uscbucsfan

Postby Agent Orange » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:19 pm

So far so good. 3 TEs in the first round. Who knew. 1 for 1 though
Agent Orange

Postby Air-Buc-Pirate » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:57 pm

Nice work AO. You called it.
Air-Buc-Pirate

Postby Teitan » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:05 am

Agent Orange wrote:So far so good. 3 TEs in the first round. Who knew. 1 for 1 though

I mean, I said it a couple posts up lol
Teitan

Postby Agent Orange » Wed May 10, 2017 9:06 pm

Teitan wrote:

That's because this draft is stacked at tight end. I could see 3 going. The Titans have two picks before us and have an aged Delanie Walker on their roster. Could definitely see them using a pick there.

Good call. I was pretty confident he would fall to us if he got past the top 10. Once Chicago made their bonehead trade I knew it was possible. Lots of odd picks and moves lead to players falling. I think what I like beat about being right here is I wanted more line help. Howard is thebeat blocking TE in this draft.
Agent Orange

Return to College Football/Draft Talk