MB's Final Mock

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
MB's Final Mock

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:30 am

1st Round, Pick 19

Garrett Bolles, OT Utah

We went into the offseason banging the table for O-Line and we have come full circle. Marpet's move to Center is all but official via the TB Times interview with him that went to print yesterday. Logic says that Forrest Lamp would be the pick, but one look at the depth chart changes that. There are ELEVEN interior linemen on the team right now. You know how many Tackles we have? THREE. One of whom is second year UDFA Leonard Wester. (who?) Bolles will challenge Smith or Dotson for a starting job and should make a very strong case at either position.

2nd Round, Pick 50

JuJu Smith-Schuster, WR USC

The second round is always weird and harder to predict. Especially with Licht's penchant for moving around, which I suspect he will try to do. All the top Safteys should be gone by #50 as will the top Tight Ends. Honestly, I expect Licht to try to move up in the second and get a Budda Baker or Evan Engram. Still, we all know that WR is a position that needs more depth and while Curtis Samuel will be sitting there too, I think they want a guy who can step in for a tweaked hammy or concussion protocol and produce outside the numbers. JuJu does not jump off the tape for me, but he's got very good hands and can be a chain mover in the style of Ike Hilliard while the defense focuses on Evans or Jackson. Not my personal favorite, but a solid pick here.

3rd Round, #84

Larry Ogunjobi, DT Charlotte.

Bucs have been looking for D-line in this range, but I doubt Jordan Willis or Caleb Brantley falls to them. Ogunjobi is a 3-tech who gets to learn the position behind Gerald McCoy and should see some action this season in rotation. I have more faith in this kid than Siliga should McCoy go down or just need a breather. With Baker and McDonald locking up the right side of the DT's, there's room for a young buck like Ogunjobi to make some noise.

4th Round, #125

Samaje Perine, RB Oklahoma

Doug Martin is not going anywhere unless somebody wants to trade for him. That's just the way it is. Perine is not Earl Campbell. He is not Bo Jackson. He is not Emmitt Smith. But he is a strong runner with better vision than he gets credit for. He will have an extended audition in the first couple of weeks to see if he can take the job from Doug and he is one of the backs that I think could pull it off. He has more durability than Rodgers, and is just plain better than Peyton Barber. I think the goal for the offense is to have Martin/Perine do the tough running and have Sims/Rodgers do the 3rd down back thing. If somebody else falls in love with Perine and takes him earlier, Marlon Mack will be right there.

5th round, #162

Josh Dobbs, QB Tennessee

I suspect that this pick will actually be used to move up into the 2nd or third. The Bucs haven't worked out very many guys in this range aside from Sam Tevi and Julie'n Davenport. That being said, Dobbs being picked here isn't impossible.This is a pretty good spot to go shopping for a backup QB and i doubt they gamble on Chad Kelly even though I like his game.

6th round #204

James Onwalu, LB Notre Dame

Our linebacker depth scares the crap out of me. Onwalu isn't exactly going to waltz in here and put Lavonte David on the bench, but he is a high motor, high character guy who excels at pass coverage and blitzing. If he can put on about 10lbs of muscle, he could develop into a solid WILL.

7th Round # 237

Tedrick Thompson, FS Colorado

Top rated guy that the Bucs have looked at in this range. Just edging out Reyshawn Jenkins who could also be the pick. Ryan Smith is the lead candidate for the job at Free Saftey at the moment, and assuming the Bucs don't move on day 2 to secure Baker, Marcus Williams or Marcus Maye...or even Desmond King, that leaves Thompson and UDFA Isaiah Johnson to decide who is going to be the center fielder.

Complaint Department:

Why no edge rushers? WTF? I know, another Spence would be nice to have around and Taco could happen in the first if they are happy with Smith and Dotson. It is reasonable to assume they hand RG to Pamphile and go with it, but I don't think that's enough and this draft is thin at OT.

Not a single corner? You're out of your mind. Nope. not one. I don't think the Bucs take a corner this year. I think they like the immediate depth behind Grimes and VH3. Javien Elliott flashed last season and Josh Robinson has been in the league a while. JAB is still here and there is going to be a sizeable number of corners getting cut after this draft class comes in. There is depth to be had on top of the depth we already have.

You forgot to get a Tight End, Dumbass. Sure, it would be swell to get another pass catching TE to go with Brate, or a good blocking TE to retire Luke Stocker, or a combination of both and I would not be shocked if they get one. It IS something I thought about and stop calling me names.

C'mon! you can't tell me it wouldn't be smarter to get the FS instead of Juju! I don't. That's why I think Licht will move around. I think there's plenty of WR depth to be had in this draft and not a single WR in this draft is going to start in front of Evans or Jackson. The fact is that at 50 there will be no safteys or TE's available to justify the pick.
Mountaineer Buc

Re: MB's Final Mock

Postby Phantom Phenom » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:39 am

Great mock
Phantom Phenom

Postby Nano » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:45 am

You forgot to get a Tight End, Dumbass.
Nano

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:45 am

Phantom Phenom wrote:Great mock

Thanks. I'm expecting to get savaged.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:46 am

Bolles I'd be meh about tbh, but I'd trust the FO. My main issue with him is that he's old for a prospect and still needs developing- particularly in the weight room. Does he help our run game? Can he beat out Donovan Smith at LT as a rookie? I think the answer to both questions is NO. So does that mean we just burnt #19 on a developmental OT? I do think he'll be a great player eventually though.

I want to go RB in rounds 1 or 2, but JuJu would be great value at 50 IMO.

Not that familiar with Ogunjobi- I like the idea of drafting a developmental 3 tech, but is this not a bit early for him?

I don't think Perine makes it to Day 3, but he'd be a steal there.

I think we have our backup QBs on the roster, not a fan of wasting a pick on that position this year.

I like the depth on defence you added late.

Overall I'd be happy, but the Bolles pick would drag down my excitement.
real bucs fan

Postby Naismith » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:25 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Phantom Phenom wrote:Great mock

Thanks. I'm expecting to get savaged.

Not from me you won't. I'd change some picks, but if they use two of their top three picks on improving the lines and add a playmaker with the other pick, I'd have no complaints.
Naismith

Postby Doctor » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:41 pm

Is this what you think the bucs will do or what you want the bucs to do?
Doctor

Postby uscbucsfan » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:51 pm

Not that I think it will happen, but McShay says Dobbs could go in round 1. I heard somewhere else that some teams believe he will go in round 2-3. I watched most of his games last year and while his team let him down a lot, he's not accurate and it will be a huge project to fix his footwork. When I heard McShay say he could sneak into the first, I lost any amount of credibility I had left.
uscbucsfan

Postby Cheb » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:03 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:Not that I think it will happen, but McShay says Dobbs could go in round 1. I heard somewhere else that some teams believe he will go in round 2-3. I watched most of his games last year and while his team let him down a lot, he's not accurate and it will be a huge project to fix his footwork. When I heard McShay say he could sneak into the first, I lost any amount of credibility I had left.

Dobbs in the first? Holy reach, Batman! Especially in a draft this deep, that would be a collosal mistake.
Cheb

Postby threadkiller » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:07 pm

real bucs fan wrote:Bolles I'd be meh about tbh, but I'd trust the FO. My main issue with him is that he's old for a prospect and still needs developing- particularly in the weight room. Does he help our run game? Can he beat out Donovan Smith at LT as a rookie? I think the answer to both questions is NO. So does that mean we just burnt #19 on a developmental OT? I do think he'll be a great player eventually though.

I want to go RB in rounds 1 or 2, but JuJu would be great value at 50 IMO.

Not that familiar with Ogunjobi- I like the idea of drafting a developmental 3 tech, but is this not a bit early for him?

I don't think Perine makes it to Day 3, but he'd be a steal there.

I think we have our backup QBs on the roster, not a fan of wasting a pick on that position this year.

I like the depth on defence you added late.

Overall I'd be happy, but the Bolles pick would drag down my excitement.

My opinion is yes to both your questions about Bolles. He helps our run game because he would run block adequately at LT right away, imo. He plays nasty and through the whistle. He's very athletic and I watched him move the LOS at college LT. He's not Don Smith straight line powerful, few tackles are. Which would be the overall benefit to the run game getting him on the right side, or my preference, locking down LG like a beast. If Ali really sticks at center, we need guards. Pamphile would be best back outside as a swing tackle, imo. Bolles/Smith/Marpet for the next 7/8 seasons. Bolles looks elite moving laterally. I think he's going to be a great pass blocker.

I would always rather not go running back early. This draft is no different. There are veteran running backs still available. Build the line. That is what matters most. Plus this draft has backs I like down into the 4th/5th rounds.

I'd agree it doesn't sound like Perine makes day 3, but I'd very likely jump at him there also.

I'd be ok with tossing a 7th at a QB if they really like one. Probably no higher.
threadkiller

Postby Cheb » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:51 pm

So we draft a backup swing tackle at 19, because we have only three offensive tackles? I count Dotson, Smith, Wester, Benonch, and Pamphile can play guard or tackle, so that's five. Whatever. He's old (25 by training camp), still raw, and as I said, a likely backup. Especially given the number and quantity of likely great prospects available at 19, Bolles wouldn't be my favorite pick.

Juju is solid. He'd be a hell of a number 3, can work the middle of the field, solid blocker, and contribute more down the line. Won't win ROtY, but that's fine. I like it.

Then a backup nosetackle in the third, a position we are already two deep at. If you think this dude is a pro undertackle, you must not have seen him play. He's slow, unathletic, and unproductive against inferior competition. No thank you.

Perine would be a fine member of the committee as a fourth round pick. He's a solid two-down thumper with some amazing productivity given the split backfield he often shared. He's underrated, I would say. Let him grind on people, then send in Sims on third down. I like this pick.

I like Dobbs, and getting a developmental backup quarterback is a good use of a midrounder. Again, I dig.

Ditto with Onwalu, who should at least be a good special teamer while developing as a backer, like a skinny Adam Heyward.

I've mocked Thompson to us myself. If he can play physically, he is in the mix for backup free safety, with an eye to start in future. If not, he's gonna bounce out of the league in short order, cuz he's a piss poor tackler that would probably be a liability on special teams.

This draft is hit and miss for me. Solid work, though.
Cheb

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:41 pm

Cheb wrote:So we draft a backup swing tackle at 19, because we have only three offensive tackles? I count Dotson, Smith, Wester, Benonch, and Pamphile can play guard or tackle, so that's five. Whatever. He's old (25 by training camp), still raw, and as I said, a likely backup. Especially given the number and quantity of likely great prospects available at 19, Bolles wouldn't be my favorite pick.

Juju is solid. He'd be a hell of a number 3, can work the middle of the field, solid blocker, and contribute more down the line. Won't win ROtY, but that's fine. I like it.

Then a backup nosetackle in the third, a position we are already two deep at. If you think this dude is a pro undertackle, you must not have seen him play. He's slow, unathletic, and unproductive against inferior competition. No thank you.

Perine would be a fine member of the committee as a fourth round pick. He's a solid two-down thumper with some amazing productivity given the split backfield he often shared. He's underrated, I would say. Let him grind on people, then send in Sims on third down. I like this pick.

I like Dobbs, and getting a developmental backup quarterback is a good use of a midrounder. Again, I dig.

Ditto with Onwalu, who should at least be a good special teamer while developing as a backer, like a skinny Adam Heyward.

I've mocked Thompson to us myself. If he can play physically, he is in the mix for backup free safety, with an eye to start in future. If not, he's gonna bounce out of the league in short order, cuz he's a piss poor tackler that would probably be a liability on special teams.

Good, honest take, Cheb.

For clarification, I think every one of these picks is a pick for depth.

Even if the team went for a sexy pick like Njoku or Taco at 19, they wouldn't be starters and I think that is a good thing.

All of these guys would have a chance to develop and refine their game with the exception of Perine who would fill in for Martin during the suspension.

I think that is an enviable position for an NFL franchise and speaks well of the progress they have made.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Doctor » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:54 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Cheb wrote:So we draft a backup swing tackle at 19, because we have only three offensive tackles? I count Dotson, Smith, Wester, Benonch, and Pamphile can play guard or tackle, so that's five. Whatever. He's old (25 by training camp), still raw, and as I said, a likely backup. Especially given the number and quantity of likely great prospects available at 19, Bolles wouldn't be my favorite pick.

Good, honest take, Cheb.

For clarification, I think every one of these picks is a pick for depth.

Even if the team went for a sexy pick like Njoku or Taco at 19, they wouldn't be starters and I think that is a good thing.

All of these guys would have a chance to develop and refine their game with the exception of Perine who would fill in for Martin during the suspension.

I think that is an enviable position for an NFL franchise and speaks well of the progress they have made.

I think that's accurate. Everyone seems stuck in the "shitty bucs" mentality of our first round pick having to be a starter. I'm perfectly good with a first rounder backing up, with the idea being that they will eventually earn a starting spot. Practically everyone not a RB or slot WR would be a back up and rightfully so.

I think you are making way too much of a deal based on what position labels players have. Many have shown they can play all over. Also, what do you see out of Bolles? Our LT? RT?

Also....
Doctor wrote:Is this what you think the bucs will do or what you want the bucs to do?
Doctor

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:12 am

I think OBP is higher on Smith than we are. I see Bolles starting out at RT if he wins a starting job. Dotson can already play swing tackle.

I am trying to anticipate what the Bucs will do.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby DreadNaught » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:02 am

Good mock MB, appreciate the effort. I like the idea of a OT at 19, but not the player. If Bolles was 21-22 then sure. But 25 is a bit extreme for a top 20 pick. Best case scenario he's already 30 when he starts his 2nd contract. Personally I'd go either Ram or Cam at 19, or wait til day 2 for an OT. I believe Bolles age pushes him to day 2.

Picks 2-4 are all very solid and most would be happy with that.
DreadNaught

Postby GameTime » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:45 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:I think OBP is higher on Smith than we are. I see Bolles starting out at RT if he wins a starting job. Dotson can already play swing tackle.

Good luck with that!
GameTime

Postby threadkiller » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:45 pm

DreadNaught wrote:Good mock MB, appreciate the effort. I like the idea of a OT at 19, but not the player. If Bolles was 21-22 then sure. But 25 is a bit extreme for a top 20 pick. Best case scenario he's already 30 when he starts his 2nd contract. Personally I'd go either Ram or Cam at 19, or wait til day 2 for an OT. I believe Bolles age pushes him to day 2.

I think trying to project 5+ years into an NFL player's future in setting their draft value is amongst the worst draft priorities you can have.

*Would you be happier with 12 seasons of Donald Penn or 8 with Tyron Smith?
threadkiller

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:26 pm

GameTime wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:I think OBP is higher on Smith than we are. I see Bolles starting out at RT if he wins a starting job. Dotson can already play swing tackle.

Good luck with that!

TRUTH!

I haven't the faintest idea what they are thinking. They could do almost anything.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby DreadNaught » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:42 pm

threadkiller wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:Good mock MB, appreciate the effort. I like the idea of a OT at 19, but not the player. If Bolles was 21-22 then sure. But 25 is a bit extreme for a top 20 pick. Best case scenario he's already 30 when he starts his 2nd contract. Personally I'd go either Ram or Cam at 19, or wait til day 2 for an OT. I believe Bolles age pushes him to day 2.

I think trying to project 5+ years into an NFL player's future in setting their draft value is amongst the worst draft priorities you can have.

*Would you be happier with 12 seasons of Donald Penn or 8 with Tyron Smith?

So Bolles is Tyron Smith now?

The point was that 1st round draft picks are drafted with the idea that thay will be cornerstone players through their 2nd contract. Bolles is already close to the age players sign extensions.
DreadNaught

Postby threadkiller » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:52 pm

I understood your point, my opinion remains that should be among the last factors considered. If there are two prospects at the pick you are torn between in evaluation and one is 3 years younger, yes. Trying to project a player at all in the NFL is hard enough. Let alone trying to project second contracts.
threadkiller

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:58 pm

Bolles age doesn't scare me.

We all love to think that a draft pick will lock up a spot for ten years. How often does that happen?

If you draft a guy in the first round, you are tied to that guy for five years tops. How old will Bolles be if he makes good? 30. At that point, he has either proved his worth or he hasn't.

From where I'm sitting, it's not about whether or not he can last beyond his first contract, it's will he be worth the first contract in the first place... Just like everyone else.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Alpha » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:40 pm

This...for the most part.

Never been a fan of Bolles. Respect the man for what he's gone through but I'm not taking a 25 year old swing tackle at 19. We've got younger versions of him who are probably just as good (Benenoch and Pamphille). With Ali moving to C...I would've been on board with Lamp...because (of course)...I love Lamp. Also...it's just damn difficult to come up with a solid analysis on Bolles. He's a man playing against boys. He's gonna look good. He SHOULD look good. We have better options at 19. We just do.

Agree with Cheb's analysis on our 3rd rounder, Ju-Ju and Perine. I agree with the need for grooming a 3-tech "understudy"...but the film I've seen on the guy isn't giving me a chub. Who knows? Maybe he develops...wouldn't be the first time a 3rd/4th rounder blew up as a pro...

I love the fact that you have mocked us a QB. I absolutely think we draft a "developmental" guy. I'd go Kaaya...but I can understand choosing Dobbs as well. I'd be ok with either.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:42 pm

I've thought about this for a while...I would love to see Peppers fall to us at 19 and pick up the FS out of Miami in the 4th or 5th (Rayshawn Jenkins?).

It just seems like we would have the S position set for the next 10 years by going this route.
Alpha

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:42 am

threadkiller wrote:I understood your point, my opinion remains that should be among the last factors considered. If there are two prospects at the pick you are torn between in evaluation and one is 3 years younger, yes. Trying to project a player at all in the NFL is hard enough. Let alone trying to project second contracts.

If Bolles was some type of clear top 10-20 type of prospect than sure, I may be able to get behind it. But he's not. He's arguably the 3rd best OT prospect in what is regarded a very weak OT class. He's also 24 playing against guys 3-4 years younger (which is a big deal at that age). So does Bolles have much of a ceiling when he's already damn near 25? I'm sure he can improve some technique stuff w/ NFL coaching, but I don't see the upside or even the value in Bolles at 19.

You may be of a different philosophy when it comes team building than myself, which is fine. But I'm of the opinion that 1st rounders are drafted with the idea that they develop into cornerstone players of the franchise. It doesn't always work out, but a 25yr old rookie (non-QB) is a bit of an anomaly and something that must be factored in. So I disagree that players drafted in round 1 are not projected to be w/ the team after the first contract. Teams that don't re-sign their own draft picks are synonymous w/ being the worst teams in the NFL.

Bolles is 3.5 years older than Cam Robinson. Bolles may be viewed as a the safer pick in the short term by some, but I'd much rather have the younger prospect that has better tools and upside. I don't hate Bolles, but he's one of the few I'd be disappointed w/ at 19.
DreadNaught

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:47 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:Bolles age doesn't scare me.

We all love to think that a draft pick will lock up a spot for ten years. How often does that happen?

If you draft a guy in the first round, you are tied to that guy for five years tops. How old will Bolles be if he makes good? 30. At that point, he has either proved his worth or he hasn't.

From where I'm sitting, it's not about whether or not he can last beyond his first contract, it's will he be worth the first contract in the first place... Just like everyone else.

So if Bolles is 1 contract player, whats his upside in those 4-5 years that warrant the 19th overall pick? Is he a Pro-Bowl player? If not, than we spent the 19th pick on JAG to be a swing Tackle until we move on from Demar Dotson.
DreadNaught

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:57 am

DreadNaught wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Bolles age doesn't scare me.

So if Bolles is 1 contract player, whats his upside in those 4-5 years that warrant the 19th overall pick? Is he a Pro-Bowl player? If not, than we spent the 19th pick on JAG to be a swing Tackle until we move on from Demar Dotson.

Re-read the last sentence of my post you quoted. It's really that simple. Is he worth it? If the answer is no then you pass on the guy and we all move on. I happen to think he is but I will concede that I would prefer Ramczyck and if he is available, I would take him over Bolles in a heartbeat.

But it's not because of Bolles age, it's because I think Ramczyck is better.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Doctor » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:13 am

"Locking down a position for ten years" is a stupid concept. Most players don't do that and that's okay. Booger didn't lock down his position for ten years or Dwight Smith or Keyshawn after trading 2 first rounders for him. Yet all were huge pieces to our SB ring. In all honesty, even a guy like Mike Evans is likely not going to retire a Buc or even play here ten years. Randy Moss wasn't a Viking for ten years. Torry Holt wasn't a Ram for ten years. Heck, Calvin Johnson wasn't a Lion for ten years. Not everyone can be Jerry Rice or Issac Bruce. And that's fine.
Doctor

Postby GameTime » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:49 am

Doctor wrote: Booger didn't lock down his position for ten years or Yet all were huge pieces to our SB ring.
you had me until boogers. Still jaded we didn't draft Kearse.
GameTime

Postby PanteraCanes » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:00 pm

GameTime wrote:
Doctor wrote: Booger didn't lock down his position for ten years or Yet all were huge pieces to our SB ring.
you had me until boogers. Still jaded we didn't draft Kearse.

I think you vastly underestimate how important the IR position is for a team.
PanteraCanes

Postby Cheb » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:09 pm

PanteraCanes wrote:
GameTime wrote:you had me until boogers. Still jaded we didn't draft Kearse.

I think you vastly underestimate how important the IR position is for a team.

Lol
Cheb

Next

Return to College Football/Draft Talk