What's your draft board look like right now?

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
What's your draft board look like right now?

Postby threadkiller » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:33 am

Down to 19. If you were setting the Buc's board they had to follow for pick 19.

1) Jonathan Allen
2) Myles Garret
3) Solomon Thomas
4) Jamal Adams
5) Marshon Lattimore
6) OJ Howard
7) Mike Williams
8) Cory Davis
9) Malik Hooker
10) Derek Barnett
11) Garret Bolles
12) Taco Charlton
13) David Njoku
14) Cam Robinson
15) Hasson Reddick
16) Forrest Lamp
17) Ryan Ramczyk
18) Dalvin Cook
19) Leonard Fournette
threadkiller

Re: What's your draft board look like right now?

Postby MJW » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:55 am

My final 2017 Pre-Draft board, for the Buccaneers, is henceforth:

1) Myles Garrett
By a nose over Allen, who's somehow become underrated during the process. In any case, Garrett is the man.

2) Jonathan Allen
He could be the next Bryant Young. I think he's that talented.

3) Jamal Adams
I liked Hooker better initially, but once I really watched Adams, I became a huge fan. He'll be one of the best safeties in the league and his floor is some team's ring of honor.

4) Solomon Thomas
Thomas is an old-school 4-3 end who can play the run, and who'd thrive in a system like ours.

5) Malik Hooker
In any other draft, Hooker is the best safety. He's going to feast in centerfield in this league.

6) Marshon Lattimore
The clear best corner prospect in a draft loaded with them. He has everything you want. He could be the next Patrick Peterson.

7) Leonard Fournette
I hate drafting backs in the first round, but Fournette has Canton talent. He's a 3 down, 350 touch, battering ram with more ability than any back to enter the league since AD.

8) David Njoku
My long time crush. He could be the Randy Moss of tight ends if it comes together for him. He's essentially uncoverable and he makes everything he does look easy.

9) Derek Barnett
Ask any Husker fan who was at the Vols Bowl game and this will seem too low. Barnett was born to sack the quarterback.

10) Ryan Ramczyk
There's absolutely no reason Ram can't be a Pro Bowl left tackle.

11) Jabrill Peppers
Not putting Peppers up at least this high is missing the forest for the trees. He's an exceptional football player who can do everything. Here, I'd let him by Troy Polamalu.

12) John Ross
That's what speed do.

13) Corey Davis
It's tough to evaluate him right now, but when I did watch Western Michigan the last month, man, he looks like he's got everything he needs to be the next great #1 NFL receiver.

14) Garett Bolles
There are red flags, and there's his age (25), but you could end up getting seven or eight Pro Bowl caliber seasons from him.

15) Mike Williams
I'm not quite as high on him as some. He gets little separation. He reminds me of Keyshawn a lot in that regard, which means he's going to be good, but I don't think he has that Julio/Green ceiling. I think he could be the league's best chain-mover eventually.

16) Charles Harris
People are sleeping on him because Mizzou produces a ton of these guys, but he reminds me of Justin Houston.

17) OJ Howard
I've made it clear I think he's overrated, but that doesn't mean he's not a great prospect. His blocking alone makes him worth the pick. I just don't expect anything more than high-average production as a receiver.

18) Gareon Conley
He's just a really solid corner with all the tools he'd need to make good opposite VHIII.

19) Taco Charlton
I'm not a huge fan at this point, but it's tough to argue that he has the size and natural ability to be a better pro than college player.

NOTABLE EXCEPTIONS

Dalvin Cook
He's very good RB prospect, but for me to want a RB in the 1st round, he needs to be better than very good. He needs to be earth--shatteringly incredible. That's not how I see him.

Christian McCaffrey
I don't draft gadget guys in the first round.

Cam Robinson
One of the few prospects I absolutely hate this year. He coasted on his talent. He has terrible technique, bad feet, and he gets lazy. He's Kenyatta Walker.

Rueben Foster/Haason Reddick/Zach Cunningham
I just can't find the sense in drafting a linebacker to play 40% of the snaps, or taking LVD or Kwon off the field instead.

Malik McDowell
The William Gholston is strong in him, and that's not a compliment unless we're going to draft him in the 4th round too.

Kevin King
He'd look cool in our defensive backfield, but I don't think he has the build or skill set to play in man consistently.
MJW

Postby Naismith » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:12 am

1. Myles Garrett
2. Jonathan Allen
3. Solomon Thomas
4. Garett Bolles
5. Leonard Fournette
6. Jamal Adams
7. Charles Harris
8. Taco Charlton
9. Ryan Ramczyk
10. Forrest Lamp
11. Derek Barnett
12. OJ Howard
13. TJ Watt
14. Tak McKinley
15. Mike Williams
16. Malik Hooker
17. Cam Robinson
18. David Njoku
19. Jabrill Peppers
Naismith

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:23 am

1. Myles Garrett, DE
-Freakish edge
2. Solomon Thomas, DL
-Tremendous player who seems locked into the top 5.
3. Jonathan Allen, DL
-All around stud who can play anywhere on the Dline but some medical flags have popped up.
4. Leonard Fournette, RB
-If he avoids the injuries, he's a superstar running back.
5. Marshon Lattimore, CB
-Tremendous shutdown CB with size, but back to back CBs? Does he move Hargreaves to the nickel for a year or is he the dime back? He and Hargreaves would be a tremendous CB duo going forward though, but he's a top 10 lock IMO though there are some medical concerns.
6. Malik Hooker, FS
-Freakish stud, this ranking is assumed he’s cleared medically
7. OJ Howard, TE
-Would simultaneously give Jameis a weapon and help the run game.
8. Jamal Adams, SS
-Plug him in at SS beside Tandy in the Barry Church role.
9. Dalvin Cook, RB
-Winston would not allow Licht to pass on him. Cook is a tremendous RB talent in all facets of the game- minus the occasional drop and fumble. Major character red flags could drop him to 19 where he'd be dificult to pass up.
10. Corey Davis, WR
-Moves ahead of Williams due to how he would complement our other WRs.
11. Mike Williams, WR
-Would give us 2 dynamic down the field monsters at WR.
12. Derek Barnett, DE
-Would be brought along slowly as most edges are, but could eventually team with Spence as a dynamic duo of defensive ends.
13. John Ross, WR
-Major medical concerns, but the guy will be the fastest player in the league the moment he steps on the field. DeSean can be Vincent Jackson to his Mike Evans.
14. Evan Engram, WR/TE
-This pick would require a few things. Firstly, Brate would really need to improve his blocking. He’s never going to have the mentality to be nasty as one, but he has the frame, just needs to improve his technique. Engram lacks the frame but will put his nose in there. Secondly, this is a pick where Koetter would have to be calling for him. You don’t force him on Koetter if he doesn’t fit what Koetter wants, but if Koetter likes him, he could be an insane weapon for this or any offence. The only question is how to utilize him.
15. David Njoku, TE
-Guy is the youngest player in the draft and has the frame to grow into a full sized TE. Raw as a blocker and a receiver, and not a true speedster at TE, but the upside is still tremendous.
16. Cam Robinson, OL
-Tyron Smith upside at LT, but should be a dominant LG at worst
17. Forrest Lamp, OL
-Can be dominant inside, but despite lacking length, could surprise as a OT.
18. Reuben Foster, LB
-I think he plays the Sam in the base D, then you turn David loose as a pass rusher in nickel situations keeping Foster on the field.
19t. Christian McCaffery, Weapon
-McCaffery is a tremendous weapon, but I don't think he's an every down back who can be the bellcow I believe Koetter wants. Wouldn't be surprised if he proved me wrong though. Regardless, he'd make the O more dangerous.
19t. Jabrill Peppers, Weapon
-Peppers like McCaffery is a tremendous athlete, who was a beast in college. I think he could be used on both sides of the ball at numerous positions.
real bucs fan

Postby threadkiller » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:32 am

I'm going to be watching Charles Harris games tonight.

Peppers, Ross, and Jackson were the three prospects I was trying to figure out if I'd take the backs over at the end of my list.
threadkiller

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:53 pm

1. Myles Garrett
2. Solomon Thomas
3. Derek Barnett
4. Reuben Foster
5. Leonard Fournette
6. Jonathan Allen
7. Malik Hooker
8. Marshon Lattimore
9. Cam Robinson
10. Jamal Adams
11. David Njoku
12. Taco Charlton
13. Christian McCaffrey
14. Marlon Humphrey
15. Mike Williams
16. Dalvin Cook
17. Teez Tabor
18. Joe Mixon
19. Ryan Ramczyk
Bootz2004

Postby threadkiller » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:33 pm

MJW: That bowl game was far and away the best of Barnett's I watched. He was going for Reggie White's career sack record, and you could tell how bad he wanted it. He kept getting so close and it was at least 3rd quarter before he got it. I always find it hard to evaluate the bowl games, everything but the playoffs now. Even more than it used to be with varying levels of team and individual focus/effort. Derek absolutely abused every tackle Nebraska threw at him. That might have been the most dominant game I saw from any dline prospect (including Allen) this year.
threadkiller

Postby Sammich » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:39 pm

These are always interesting to read because it gives insight into how a person views a team should be built. TK and MJW are pretty balanced between BPA and need. Naismith believes in building the lines (like myself). RBF wants an offensive juggernaut. Bootz wants purely BPA. I don't mean to say anybody is right or wrong- its just interesting seeing the philosophies being so apparent.
Sammich

Postby threadkiller » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:17 pm

I like to think of myself as BPA. When I start to figure out what order I would put them on our team, need definitely creeps in. I'm already second guessing it. Part of need might be mistaken for my valuation opinions. Until we have 2 pro bowl level offensive tackles, I'm always going to be looking at that ahead of linebackers. Unless he's a pass rusher, those will always be 1st round considerations. I gotta see Ray Lewis to want to put the LB prospect ahead of a guy I think has a decent shot to be a pro bowl type OT/DT/DE.

I'd be interested in your list, Sammich.
threadkiller

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:28 pm

Sammich wrote:These are always interesting to read because it gives insight into how a person views a team should be built. TK and MJW are pretty balanced between BPA and need. Naismith believes in building the lines (like myself). RBF wants an offensive juggernaut. Bootz wants purely BPA. I don't mean to say anybody is right or wrong- its just interesting seeing the philosophies being so apparent.

It is very interesting. Me specifically I see FA as being the place you focus on your immediate needs. They've been in the league already and are ready to contribute immediately. Speed of the game and veteran experience are already with them. It's hard counting on rookies to be saviors for your team for the most part. So IMO you draft em, you develop em. Build the talent of your team. Drafts are mixed bags. When you pigeon hole yourself by focusing solely on 1 position you often reach and fail and miss out on a more talented prospect all because he didn't fill a current need. The league is fluid. Your current strengths can become needs very quickly. And current needs can become strengths. Just build your team with young talent.
Bootz2004

Postby threadkiller » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:35 pm

Good post Bootz, agree with all of that.
threadkiller

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:44 pm

I do agree with Bootz with the caveat that the team has not had the luxury of implementing that strategy for some time.

Licht has done a fantastic job getting starters out of his top picks with one significant pick that continues to "kick" his ass. He has learned quickly from his early mistakes in Free agency and now the team is the most complete it has been for some time.

Now we can draft players for the express purpose of developing them rather than push them into starting roles before they are ready. Provided he doesn't break the bank, Licht is set up to keep reloading the roster year after year. He can sustain this for some time provided he continues to draft well and the coaching staff keeps teaching well.

We're very close to having several years of good football, possibly championship football.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Naismith » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:50 pm

Sammich wrote:These are always interesting to read because it gives insight into how a person views a team should be built. TK and MJW are pretty balanced between BPA and need. Naismith believes in building the lines (like myself). RBF wants an offensive juggernaut. Bootz wants purely BPA. I don't mean to say anybody is right or wrong- its just interesting seeing the philosophies being so apparent.

I also want an offensive (and defensive) juggernaut! I just know that you get those by having dominant lines. :)
Naismith

Postby Cheb » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:25 pm

1 Myles Garrett - absurd athleticism, great potential, needs to play up to his athleticism, but you just can't pass up on that ceiling, which is stratospheric.
2 Johnathan Allen - excellent tape against excellent competition, positional versatility. Questionable shoulder injury, debatable upside since he's a Bama defender.
3 Solomon Thomas - Great all-around defender, would be a stellar strongside end, wonderful football character, plays the position very well, a bit of a tweener
4 Jamal Adams - best all-around safety in the draft, day one starter, good leader, better tape. Gets overaggressive at times. Plays like Eric Berry.
5 Malik Hooker - Ballhawking free safety, good size and measurables, questionable run defense, limited experience, raw as ****, comps to a young Ed Reed
6 Marshon Lattimore - best corner in the draft, would add alot of cover ability to our team, athletic player, limited experience.
7 OJ Howard - Best all-around tight end prospect, day one starter, helps all facets of the offense, not great stats.
8 Leonard Fournette - A bruiser with speed, plays better than he tests, question if he can create for himself, dinged up frequently related to his running style, comps to Bo and AP.
9 Ryan Ramcyzk - Best pass blocker in the draft, a day one starter at tackle, perhaps the only one in the draft. Questions about his health and how long he played top tier talent, but film was stellar.
10 Derek Barnett - Polished pass rusher, lacks great measurables, smooth as silk when rushing, at minimum a competent starter.
11 Mike Williams - great tape, can run every route, excellent ball skills, may struggle to win versus NFL coverage due to lack of speed and polish. Would be an excellent number 3 here.
12 Dalvin Cook - Great tape, questionable testing, possible knucklehead. Boom or bust, most definitely. Character, interviews, and off-field stuff is very important to get right here.
13 David Njoku - Like Garrett, skates by more on being an absurdly good athlete than actually being a good football player. Huge ceiling, young with room to grow.
14 Christian McCaffrey - Can do everything you want a running back to do, but people don't like him because reasons. Comps to Reggie Bush aren't flattering.
15 John Ross - fast as hell, productive, bad knees, struggles versus press man (a bad sign). If healthy and can beat press, will be a stud.
16 Cam Robinson - Outland winner, excellent experience against excellent competition, powerful run blocker, a bit grabby in pass pro, a better guard than tackle?
17 Jabrill Peppers - great football player but can he be a full-time safety? I think so.
18 Marlon Humphrey - a raw corner with not a ton of experience but great tools and mindset.
19 Forrest Lamp - I love Lamp.

He's missing and you disapprove:
All QBs
Reuben Foster
Corey Davis
Haason Reddick
Zach Cunningham
Taco Charlton
Teez Tabor
Joe Mixon
Garrett Bolles
Malik McDowell
Charles Harris
Gareon Conley

Come at me bro.
Cheb

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:21 am

Naismith wrote:

I also want an offensive (and defensive) juggernaut! I just know that you get those by having dominant lines. :)

Tell us how unathletic Cook is again :D
real bucs fan

Postby Alpha » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:28 am

This is gonna be one helluva strange draft. There are (or WERE) certain maxims that seemed to hold true when it came to the draft:

1) QB's get drafted earlier than they should
2) Safeties didn't go in the top 5 (remember when we drafted Barron? You heard that ALL the time during the draft).
3) Pass rushers go at a premium (including LB's who sack the QB)
4) Unless an RB is a "generational-type" RB...you don't take them in the 1st.
5) Interior O-linemen slip...as do D-linemen who are "2 Down" guys.

I really believe...for many reasons...this draft is going to break SOME of these.

I'm going to list my personal top 20. And then list who I "think" will be drafted in the top 20. MY top 20 are in no particular order. They are who I believe are the 20 best players in this draft:

J. Allen
M. Garret
L. Fournette
J. Adams
M. Lattimore
D. Barnett
J. Peppers
C. McCaffrey
S. Thomas
M. Hooker
C. Davis
D. Cook
J. Ross
OJ Howard
D. Njoku
T. Charlton
H. Reddick
R. Foster
M. Williams
R. Ramczyk

All things being equal...these are my top 20 players. That said...IF I were a GM, I'd have Foster and Cook off my board (as well as Mixon).

Contrast to the 20 guys I BELIEVE will be drafted first (again...no particular order):

D. Watson
M. Trubisky
M. Garret
J. Allen
R. Foster
H. Reddick
T. Charlton
J. Peppers
C. McCaffrey
M. Hooker
M. Lattimore
J. Adams
D. Barnett
OJ Howard
D. Njoku
L. Fournette
D. Cook
J. Ross
M. Williams
S. Thomas

It seems UNFATHOMABLE that NO O-linemen go in the top 20. That as many as 2 safeties go in the top 5. 3 RB's go that early...especially guys that aren't considered to be Peterson/Sanders types. Just a potentially strange draft.

I could see as many as 3 QB's going this early. Mahomes seems to be a hot name, currently.

The thing we'll NEVER know, is who the Bucs have taken off their board entirely due to injury-drug-red flag concerns. We're ALL pissing in the wind and making our best guess.

The intriguing thing (to me), is that I can make a case that player #50 is just as good as player #11.
Alpha

Postby threadkiller » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:10 pm

Jason followed my board, sure can't say I expected my #6 to be there. So ****ing close to #1 tho...
threadkiller

Return to College Football/Draft Talk