Would you trade for the #2 pick?

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Would you trade for the #2 pick?

Postby Doctor » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:21 am

An NFC general manager told WalterFootball's Charlie Campbell that the San Francisco 49ers are "desperate to trade down."
The GM further insinuated that there is indecision within San Francisco's organization as to who they would take, if stuck in the slot, after Cleveland presumably tabs Texas A&M's Myles Garrett with the No. 1 pick. New 49ers GM John Lynch previously stated, with regards to the No. 2 pick, that he is "open for business." Walter Football hears that some around the league believe San Francisco will take North Carolina QB Mitch Trubisky if they are stuck at No. 2. Another widely-discussed scenario has the 49ers taking LSU RB Leonard Fournette.

Not quite sure how desperate that is but what would you guys be willing to trade to move up to #2? Obviously if Myles is there it's a whole other story, but he likely won't be. Still some top players- Hooker, Adams, Fournette, Thomas, Allen.
Doctor

Re: Would you trade for the #2 pick?

Postby threadkiller » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:48 am

Well depending on how desperate, yes. What would I give up for #2? I think Allen is a game wrecker. I would trade 19 and next year's 1 to move up and get him. I hate trading away future picks, but I think Allen steps in and makes us a top echelon dline next season and watch out. Next year's 1 is in the 20's (gambling we get a healthy season of Jaboo). I'm not sure if that's realistic, just 2 picks to get up that far.
threadkiller

Postby Corsair » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:58 am

Trading into the second pick would require multiple picks this year and next.

There is too much talent available in the middle of the first round that I don't feel it's worth it. Maybe I am a prisoner of the moment here, but I just don't see the value.

If we had a QB or franchise changing player in mind, maybe... maybe.

This is a draft where I would rather trade down. Apparently, just like the 49'ers.
Corsair

Postby MJW » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:19 am

Corsair wrote:Trading into the second pick would require multiple picks this year and next.

There is too much talent available in the middle of the first round that I don't feel it's worth it. Maybe I am a prisoner of the moment here, but I just don't see the value.

If we had a QB or franchise changing player in mind, maybe... maybe.

This is a draft where I would rather trade down. Apparently, just like the 49'ers.

I agree. We're going to get a fine player at #19, if you look at the big boards.

Also, even if the 49ers ARE desperate, and they're willing to get fleeced, "fleeced" would still likely mean our 2018 first rounder, a couple of second rounders, and either additional picks or quality players. No thank you.
MJW

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:37 am

I get why they want the trade. Lynch has to get a core of fresh blood on his team.

This roster needs an influx of depth because we're a mile wide and an inch deep. We need our picks this year.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:22 am

No.

We have our franchise QB and alot of other young building blocks, many of whom will be due contract extensions in the next few years. When that happens we won't be able to supplement the roster/depth w/ FA like Ayers, Grimes, Sweezy, DJax, etc. It is/will be incumbent for us to to draft well b/c 1st contract players are cheap. The last thing we need is to sacrifice day 1-2 picks.

If anything we should look to trade down this year tbh, the late first/early 2nd is a sweet spot in this class for alot of prospects that would be great fits here. Picking up an extra 3rd or 4th to move down a 5-10 spots would be ideal imo.
DreadNaught

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:41 am

No. Too expensive.

From the Niners perspective, why do they want to trade back? Grab a top level prospect to build around. How many times have we seen these teams with top 5 picks trade back in hopes of getting more picks? It never works. Stop being greedy and take Thomas at 2.
Bootz2004

Postby Cheb » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:44 am

The cost would be too high. No thanks
Cheb

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:56 am

Bootz2004 wrote:No. Too expensive.

From the Niners perspective, why do they want to trade back? Grab a top level prospect to build around. How many times have we seen these teams with top 5 picks trade back in hopes of getting more picks? It never works. Stop being greedy and take Thomas at 2.

I agree Thomas should be the pick at #2.

But the 49ers are likely looking long term and in this class there isn't a ton of separation in prospects after Myles Garrett. So if the 49ers can move down and pull in a haul like the Titans did last year it would give the new FO more options I suppose.
DreadNaught

Postby uscbucsfan » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:19 am

DreadNaught wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:No. Too expensive.

I agree Thomas should be the pick at #2.

But the 49ers are likely looking long term and in this class there isn't a ton of separation in prospects after Myles Garrett. So if the 49ers can move down and pull in a haul like the Titans did last year it would give the new FO more options I suppose.

I like Allen more than Thomas. I think Allen is awesome and he may be my favorite player in the draft.
uscbucsfan

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:22 am

No way. I think with how the draft is shaking out, we're sitting pretty at 19. I also like pick #50 to grab another first round caliber talent.

I fully expect us to get a haul with our top 2 picks similar to VHIII and Spence last year, despite picking 10 spots further back. Draft is that deep in the top 50.
real bucs fan

Postby uscbucsfan » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:23 am

real bucs fan wrote:No way. I think with how the draft is shaking out, we're sitting pretty at 19. I also like pick #50 to grab another first round caliber talent.

I fully expect us to get a haul with our top 2 picks similar to VHIII and Spence last year, despite picking 10 spots further back. Draft is that deep in the top 50.

I agree with this.
uscbucsfan

Postby Naismith » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:55 am

Smart of the Niners to try and trade back and acquire more picks, but I wouldn't be interested in moving up for any kind of reasonable or realistic deal.
Naismith

Postby Doctor » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:09 am

While I'm a big Thomas fan, I wouldn't take him over Allen, and furthermore don't think either is really a safe pick. When you are picking that high you really have to hit well. Mitch is another option, the golden QB rule, but he's the Blake Bortles of this draft. If forced to choose I honestly think I'd go with Leonard Fournette. Yeah, that's right. Then come back around and hope you get the Carr of this draft in the top of the second.

If Washington was willing I'd gladly ship that #2 over for Kirk Cousins in a heartbeat.
Doctor

Postby uscbucsfan » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:11 am

Doctor wrote:While I'm a big Thomas fan, I wouldn't take him over Allen, and furthermore don't think either is really a safe pick. When you are picking that high you really have to hit well. Mitch is another option, the golden QB rule, but he's the Blake Bortles of this draft. If forced to choose I honestly think I'd go with Leonard Fournette. Yeah, that's right. Then come back around and hope you get the Carr of this draft in the top of the second.

If Washington was willing I'd gladly ship that #2 over for Kirk Cousins in a heartbeat.

Absolutely.

I think Allen is a pretty safe pick if the team's doctors cleared him. If not, obviously he is not.
uscbucsfan

Postby acmillis » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:38 pm

If the Browns go Trubisky at #1 and the 49ers are only asking 2017+2018 first rounders and either 2017 or 2018 second rounder...yes. Trade up and take Myles. I doubt the 49ers bite for that little but hey...I'd do it if they did.
acmillis

Postby Doctor » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:22 pm

acmillis wrote:If the Browns go Trubisky at #1 and the 49ers are only asking 2017+2018 first rounders and either 2017 or 2018 second rounder...yes. Trade up and take Myles. I doubt the 49ers bite for that little but hey...I'd do it if they did.

I think that's a fair haul if you throw in both 2nds. I mean, if Myles is there the 49ers should just go and draft him outright really. But if not it could work. People tend to have Redskin hauls in mind when trading that high, but that only really happens if there's a franchise QB a team is really hungry for. Even then, last year the Eagles only traded a 2016 1st, 3rd, 4th; 2017 1st; 2018 2nd round picks to land the #2 overall. Granted, they were also moving up from the 8th spot.

I think it may take this years 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, along with next years 1st. Steep, sure, but it's also Myles ****ing Garrett. McCoy is still in his prime, we have Ayers, Baker, Spence, and a couple of flashy role players. Add Garrett and this is one mean DL. The kind that sets the tone for the entire defense and the game.
Doctor

Postby Sammich » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:11 pm

I would have to say no to the trade. Even if the 9ers are desperate and the deal favors us it is still going to be a heavy deal. The way our roster is currently we need depth and quality- not another superstar to expect too much out of. I would much prefer 4-6 good players (4-6 high rounders is what it would take at minimum) on rookie deals as opposed to 1 great player and having to supplement with free agents.

That's all before the cliche about putting all your eggs in 1 basket. Whoever we would take at pick 2 is a human being and **** happens. Maybe he gets hurt. Maybe he busts. Maybe he decides he likes party favors too much. Maybe the pressure gets too him and he cracks. Maybe he invests his millions into sports/muscle cars and ends up wrapped around a telephone pole. We are too close to where we want to be and I would rather play it safe.

I feel we would be much better off looking for a trade down ourselves. This draft has a ton of talent in rounds 2 and 3 and I would love an extra pick or 2 in that range.
Sammich

Postby Alpha » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:43 am

ANYONE who says "yes" to this fishing expedition is an absolute moron and needs to hang themselves in their jail cell.

Too soon?
Alpha

Postby MJW » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:24 am

acmillis wrote:If the Browns go Trubisky at #1 and the 49ers are only asking 2017+2018 first rounders and either 2017 or 2018 second rounder...yes. Trade up and take Myles. I doubt the 49ers bite for that little but hey...I'd do it if they did.

If that happens, the 49ers will receive better offers than that.
MJW

Postby Super K » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:38 am

Alpha wrote:ANYONE who says "yes" to this fishing expedition is an absolute moron and needs to hang themselves in their jail cell.

Too soon?

Ummmmmmmmmmm....No, nope...Huh-uh...

It's good..All good..
Super K

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:02 am

Super K wrote:
Alpha wrote:ANYONE who says "yes" to this fishing expedition is an absolute moron and needs to hang themselves in their jail cell.

Too soon?

Ummmmmmmmmmm....No, nope...Huh-uh...

It's good..All good..

OMG HAHAHA!

You two knock it off. I'm trying to take a **** over here and now I gotta explain to the Mrs. What I'm laughing at.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Doctor » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:39 pm

Sammich wrote:I would have to say no to the trade. Even if the 9ers are desperate and the deal favors us it is still going to be a heavy deal. The way our roster is currently we need depth and quality- not another superstar to expect too much out of. I would much prefer 4-6 good players (4-6 high rounders is what it would take at minimum) on rookie deals as opposed to 1 great player and having to supplement with free agents.

That's all before the cliche about putting all your eggs in 1 basket. Whoever we would take at pick 2 is a human being and **** happens. Maybe he gets hurt. Maybe he busts. Maybe he decides he likes party favors too much. Maybe the pressure gets too him and he cracks. Maybe he invests his millions into sports/muscle cars and ends up wrapped around a telephone pole. We are too close to where we want to be and I would rather play it safe.

I feel we would be much better off looking for a trade down ourselves. This draft has a ton of talent in rounds 2 and 3 and I would love an extra pick or 2 in that range.

4-6?? :lol: :lol:
And I thought I self medicated recklessly. :drinkingdrunk:
Doctor

Postby Naismith » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:02 pm

Doctor wrote:
Sammich wrote:I would have to say no to the trade. Even if the 9ers are desperate and the deal favors us it is still going to be a heavy deal. The way our roster is currently we need depth and quality- not another superstar to expect too much out of. I would much prefer 4-6 good players (4-6 high rounders is what it would take at minimum) on rookie deals as opposed to 1 great player and having to supplement with free agents.

4-6?? :lol: :lol:

What do you disagree with?
Naismith

Postby Doctor » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:06 pm

Naismith wrote:
Doctor wrote:4-6?? :lol: :lol:

The idea of getting 4-6 good players out of this draft. You usually get maybe 1-2 good players per draft. If you're really lucky maybe 3. Many times you get zero. Asking for four to SIX good players from any draft is a hilarious pipedream.
Doctor

Postby Naismith » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:24 pm

Doctor wrote:
Naismith wrote:

The idea of getting 4-6 good players out of this draft. You usually get maybe 1-2 good players per draft. If you're really lucky maybe 3. Many times you get zero. Asking for four to SIX good players from any draft is a hilarious pipedream.

He didn't say from this draft. He's saying it would take 4-6 premium picks over multiple drafts to make that move.
Naismith

Postby Sammich » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:06 am

Naismith wrote:
Doctor wrote:

He didn't say from this draft. He's saying it would take 4-6 premium picks over multiple drafts to make that move.

Exactly. Even on a favorable deal to move up from 19 to 2 you're looking at 2 firsts and two seconds minimum- likely more.
Sammich

Postby Doctor » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:51 am

Talks for the 9ers thinking strongly about a QB. While it makes obvious sense to do so the 9ers haven't really been leaning in hard at QBs in these past few months. So is this real or just some smoke to get a trade deal?
Doctor

Return to College Football/Draft Talk