Which one draft would you redo?

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Which one draft would you redo?

Postby Doctor » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:04 am

Which draft would you redo? Assuming you could send a note back in time to the war room and that our GM would listen, what would it say?
Doctor

Re: Which one draft would you redo?

Postby threadkiller » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:47 am

I want last year back badly because of how it shook out. Spence falling to us in the second. Able to trade down and still have a chance at a dynamic tackle prospect in Tunsil. The roller coaster of that disappointment to the high of praying for Noah's name not to be called ahead of us, then rock bottom with the Berto trade/pick. Getting Noah (and I don't think VHIII is going to bust) is going to keep last year from being disastrous, but I think it could have been foundational. Guess we will see how Tunsil goes. Then you can just throw the two picks from the Berto trade out there how ever you want. I wanted Braxton Miller and Andrew Billings at the time. Billings was out all last year injured and Miller got a slow start to his NFL career. Keep the Miller pick and grab one of those RB (Howard, Dixon, Perkins). Would be going into this strong corner draft looking corner. Strong on tackle going into this draft looking guard/center in the middle rounds. Looks like that may fall in place as well. Damn it.
threadkiller

Postby Nano » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:27 am

2011 draft

So much damn talent in that draft and we end up with Adrian Clayborn and Da'Quan Bowers. My note would say "Don't play it safe"
Nano

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:31 am

Trading up for Aguayo instead of Cody Whitehair.
real bucs fan

Postby uscbucsfan » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:35 am

Nano wrote:2011 draft

So much damn talent in that draft and we end up with Adrian Clayborn and Da'Quan Bowers. My note would say "Don't play it safe"

Bowers was widely regarded as a huge steal.
uscbucsfan

Postby Konatown » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:36 am

The Revis trade still stings, but I'd go with 2011. So much talent and we got squat to show for it.
Konatown

Postby threadkiller » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:42 am

real bucs fan wrote:Trading up for Aguayo instead of Cody Whitehair.

Tunsil and Whitehair last year might well have us on the path to being the Cowboys 2.0. We would be a center away from a complete set type oline, with a couple quality depth pieces to boot. :(
threadkiller

Postby threadkiller » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:50 am

uscbucsfan wrote:
Nano wrote:2011 draft

Bowers was widely regarded as a huge steal.

I was honestly thrilled we took him, that draft night. I was mad we took Clayborn instead of Cam Jordan. I totally missed on Muhammad Wilkerson sitting right there. Went into that draft completely focused on getting some defensive line talent. At the time I wasn't upset at blinders to all the other prospects/positions, that's all I was looking at too.
threadkiller

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:59 am

threadkiller wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:Trading up for Aguayo instead of Cody Whitehair.

Tunsil and Whitehair last year might well have us on the path to being the Cowboys 2.0. We would be a center away from a complete set type oline, with a couple quality depth pieces to boot. :(

White hair played Center for the Bears and was one of the best in the league as a rookie.
real bucs fan

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:59 am

2012. Hated selecting Barron at 12.
Bootz2004

Postby Doctor » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:22 pm

Rodgers instead of Caddy. Tatupu instead of Ruud. Evan Mathis instead of Colmer or Beaunning or Alex Smith. Throw in Sproles to be that pass catching RB Gruden loved so much. Finish it up with Trent Cole and Cameron Wake at the bottom of the draft and pick up Josh Cribbs too. Granted, total hindsight of the whole thing, but how that would've changed this whole franchise.
Doctor

Postby VauntedTampa2 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:27 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
threadkiller wrote:

White hair played Center for the Bears and was one of the best in the league as a rookie.

A successful position change?? Crazy
VauntedTampa2

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:34 pm

Doctor wrote:2005.
Rodgers instead of Caddy. Tatupu instead of Ruud. Evan Mathis instead of Colmer or Beaunning or Alex Smith. Throw in Sproles to be that pass catching RB Gruden loved so much. Finish it up with Trent Cole and Cameron Wake at the bottom of the draft and pick up Josh Cribbs too. Granted, total hindsight of the whole thing, but how that would've changed this whole franchise.

Aaron Rodgers would've been a bust here and likely every other team he went to other than the one he did. The Rodgers that entered the league isn't the same QB as he is today. Not even close.
Bootz2004

Postby Naismith » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:44 pm

I'd love to go back to last year and do Tunsil-Noah-Bullard. I was really hopefully going into day two that Noah and Bullard would fall to the two picks but then the Bucs traded up and had a chance to get them both.

I don't think Bowers was playing it safe. He fell due to injury issues and the Bucs gambled that he'd hold up and they'd get a top prospect. Clayborn wasn't really on my radar, though I wish they had resigned him a couple years ago as line depth. I was hoping Quinn would fall to the Bucs in 2011.
Naismith

Postby Agent Orange » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:02 pm

Just pick a year. Pretty much all of them would be great to redo.

,Of course my one draft 2010 would net us Rob Grankowski, Jimmy Graham, Geno Atkins and Antonio Brown. Plus none of you would have had to hear me complain about Gerald McCoy.
Agent Orange

Postby Doctor » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:22 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
Doctor wrote:2005.

Aaron Rodgers would've been a bust here and likely every other team he went to other than the one he did. The Rodgers that entered the league isn't the same QB as he is today. Not even close.

Way to say a whole lot of nothing.

No player is the same now as when they entered the league. The idea that Rodgers would've been a bust anywhere else is simply absurd. Are there places where he could bust? Sure. But ANYWHERE else, as if his life was Packers or bust? That's asinine. Sure, sitting for a few years really helped him out. He pretty much redid his mechanics from the ground up and made him into the player he is today. But acting like the Packers is the only place he could have done it is stupid. And sure, he may not be the same QB or have the same playing style if he was groomed under say a Gruden West Coast, but so what? That doesn't mean he would be ballin', wouldn't be winning a Superbowl, wouldn't be making those great throws or having all-pro years. When I say we should've taken Rodgers like we were meant to, it's not because I wanted to have a Packers Rodgers it's pewter, it's because I wanted a Buccaneers Rodgers. Of course there's no way of knowing exactly what they would've looked like, but I'm very confident it would've looked great in it's own right. And still would have love to have seen it.
Doctor

Postby Cheb » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:52 pm

The 2011 draft. We were coming off of Freeman's Cinderella season. Youngry was all the rage. And our draft class was putrid. As a refresher, we picked:

First round - Adrian Clayborn, defensive end
Second round - Da'Quan Bowers, defensive end
Third round - Mason Foster, linebacker
Fourth round - Luke Stocker, tight end
Fifth round - Ahmad Black, linebacker
Sixth round - Allen Bradford, running back
Seventh round A - Anthony Gaitor, cornerback
Seventh round B - Daniel Hardy, tight end

They sucked. Especially since this draft was full of Pro Bowlers and All Pros, that especially stings. With the benefits of hindsight, no trades, and assuming that everyone went where they did. In short, only pick guys when they were available at our selections. To make it more of a challenge, we will try to stick with the same positions addressed.

First round - Cameron Jordan, defensive end
Second round - Justin Houston, defensive end
Third round - Jordan Cameron, tight end
Fourth round - Julius Thomas, tight end
Fifth round - Richard Sherman, corner
Sixth - Jason Kelce, center
Seventh Round A - Chris Harris, corner
Seventh Round B - I dunno… Mark Herzlich, linebacker, I guess.

These drafts each have two defensive ends, two tights ends, a corner, and a linebacker. All of mine have made Pro Bowls except for Herzlich, and over half of mine are All-Pros.

The epic defensive ineptitude of the 2011 season is averted, and we stay Youngry for a year longer.

For those who forgot, we allowed the most points in the league (494), the most yards per play (tied at 6.3), most yards per pass attempt (tied at 7.6), the most rushing yards (2,497) and the most rushing touchdowns (26). They also allowed the second most yards per attempt (5.0), the second most rushing first downs (135), the third most total yards (6,311) and fourth most total first downs (356).
Last edited by Cheb on Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cheb

Postby Doctor » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:09 pm

Ugh, it's the worse when there are so many hits at a position you went in on but you missed on all. That's how I feel this CB and TE class are going to be like.
Doctor

Return to College Football/Draft Talk