Who is going to make you eat crow?

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Who is going to make you eat crow?

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:07 am

It's tough to judge a rookie class aside from the gems that nobody saw coming.

But I seem to recall the board as a whole not being very high on Keanu Neal, but he played well. 106 tackles is pretty good for a rookie.

And we all poo-pooed the quarterbacks and at least two of them have a great shot at becoming franchise quarterbacks (Wentz, Prescott)

So the question is, who are you downplaying as a JAG or bust that has the potential to make you eat crow?

For me: Cook, Garrett, Corey Davis, Ju-Ju, and Malachi Dupre are guys that I have reservations about that could end up making me look dumb.

Them and my guys from the Do not want thread. Smoot and Bisnowaty.

So there's my guys. This is your last chance to get in a "he could be good" on a guy you've been bashing all spring.

Cheb, could Malik McDowell or T. McKinley burn you?

Bootz, you've knocked quite a few guys, anyone softened your stance on them in the last month or two?

MJW, is it remotely possible that OJ Howard goes on to be a pro-bowl caliber TE?

Alpha, you're not wrong that Cook is the FSU guy of the year. Could Cook end up burning you if he goes to the right system and keeps his nose clean?

I just want to spare you guys (and myself) the embarrassment like PMI got with Winston. That was cringy.
Mountaineer Buc

Re: Who is going to make you eat crow?

Postby mdb1958 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:58 am

I want the guys I have reservations about. Its not whether or not they can make plays in the NFL, but how damn good they are going to be.

Then there is that small part about being wrong...
mdb1958

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:50 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:Bootz, you've knocked quite a few guys, anyone softened your stance on them in the last month or two?

No. I'm usually right about the guys I don't think will fair well in the league. My issues are mainly "overrating" guys. Thinking they'll do a lot better but they end up busting. In that regard I could see a guy like Teez Tabor not panning out like I believe he will.
Bootz2004

Postby Doctor » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:59 am

I guess Obi and Cam Robinson could have me eating crow. John Ross, appropriately enough, could burn me.

The great thing about this draft is that there aren't many players I hate, just some I know little about and others that I love.
Doctor

Postby Cheb » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:15 am

I've been following and scouting the draft for the past ten years. I have been wrong tons of times. I've also been correct on my fair share of prospects.

That's part of the fun.
Cheb

Postby mdb1958 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:30 pm

mdb1958 wrote:I want the guys I have reservations about. Its not whether or not they can make plays in the NFL, but how damn good they are going to be.

Then there is that small part about being wrong...

Cam Robinson - because I compared him to Kenyatta Walker
Ram - because of his hip injury
Ross - knees
Budda Baker - being to short
Obi - would be passing on him only to find out it was a big mistake
Reddick - not having the guts to pick him
The group of cornerbacks where any, or probably a few of them would of made our backfield great for 6-7 years. Missing the right pick on that.
Last edited by mdb1958 on Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mdb1958

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:37 pm

Taco.
real bucs fan

Postby mdb1958 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:40 pm

real bucs fan wrote:Taco.
- Yeah, I did say Taco was to slow.
mdb1958

Postby Hatter » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:39 pm

OJ Howard..
I've heard that he didn't get utilized correctly or to his full potential among other similar statements, but I think the staff knew full well what he was and was not good at on a consistent basis.
I have a feeling he may be like Laquan Treadwell and not be able to put it all together his 1st year, but I'm fully aware he may indeed be Gronk 2.0 and I am prepared to eat crow.
Hatter

Postby Naismith » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:46 pm

Cheb wrote:I've been following and scouting the draft for the past ten years. I have been wrong tons of times. I've also been correct on my fair share of prospects.

That's part of the fun.

Do you publish your scouting anywhere or is it just for your personal enjoyment?
Naismith

Postby MJW » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:05 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
MJW, is it remotely possible that OJ Howard goes on to be a pro-bowl caliber TE?

Yes, totally possible. I just don't see it right now. I see a solid NFL tight end who ends up a much better blocker than receiver.

It's also possible that Cook turns out to be the best back in the league.

I don't really mind being wrong honestly. NFL GMs who get paid millions are wrong plenty. Ozzie Newsome drafted Matt Elam, Terence Cody, and Kyle Boller. Belichick drafted Laurence Maroney, Chad Jackson, and Jermaine Cunningham. Kevin Colbert drafted Jarvis Jones, Rashard Mendenhall, and Limas Sweed. ETC. It happens.

I'll give you a "wrong" I've had from each of the last few drafts:

I was way too low on Joey Bosa, who I thought would be serviceable. He's already one of the best in the league.
I was way too low on Marcus Peters, who I saw as an overrated headcase.
I was way too low on Kelvin Benjamin. And Le'Veon Bell.

Shrug. Happens.
MJW

Postby Cheb » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:53 pm

Naismith wrote:
Cheb wrote:I've been following and scouting the draft for the past ten years. I have been wrong tons of times. I've also been correct on my fair share of prospects.

That's part of the fun.

Do you publish your scouting anywhere or is it just for your personal enjoyment?

I scout prospects I like for the Bucs and occasionally post stuff here. I am an enthusiastic amateur and have no desire to be the next Mel Kiper or Mike Mayock. I love my day job, thank you very much.
Cheb

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:44 pm

That's part of the fun.

I love this take. This stuff is supposed to be fun and we can get a little too passionate sometimes.

Great answer.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Babeinbucland » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:46 pm

Cheb wrote:
Naismith wrote:

I love my day job, thank you very much.

Link?
Babeinbucland

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:20 pm

MJW wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:

Yes, totally possible. I just don't see it right now. I see a solid NFL tight end who ends up a much better blocker than receiver.

I don't really mind being wrong honestly. NFL GMs who get paid millions are wrong plenty. Ozzie Newsome drafted Matt Elam, Terence Cody, and Kyle Boller. Belichick drafted Laurence Maroney, Chad Jackson, and Jermaine Cunningham. Kevin Colbert drafted Jarvis Jones, Rashard Mendenhall, and Limas Sweed. ETC. It happens.

I was way too low on Joey Bosa, who I thought would be serviceable. He's already one of the best in the league.

Shrug. Happens.

Some folks here wanted to pass on Bosa even if he fell to 9. Madness.
real bucs fan

Postby selmon63 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:37 am

real bucs fan wrote:
MJW wrote:

Shrug. Happens.

Some folks here wanted to pass on Bosa even if he fell to 9. Madness.

Hindsight is 20 /20

Thus the birth of the Monday morning QB
selmon63

Postby VauntedTampa2 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:08 am

I don't have any good feelings about Trubinsky. I don't like his play, his experience, his demeanor or his voice.

Kizer is going to suck in the long run, meaning he might fair admirably before there's a plethora of film on him.

I'm not sure Mike Williams will ever be the guy in an offense who can take on double teams and be a true #1. I also don't think Ross lasts very long, due to his meniscus/micro fracture surgery(s?) Living in Washington, though, he sure is fun to watch.

I don't see bright futures for foreman or perrine. Not enough vision, played against weak defenses, don't catch particularly well. They would have been better served 20 years ago.

Malik McDowell = shiny dog turd

Obi.
VauntedTampa2

Postby Alpha » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:37 pm

Good thread MB:

My 2 are Cook and Howard.

MJ has explained my view on Howard perfectly. I agree with her take entirely.

Cook is a different ballgame. I see him busting out of the league but not because of his talent or ability. I see him as one of those guys that get FAR too many chances BECAUSE of his talent. His off the field decision making is gonna be the thing that does him in.

By the same token, I have been banging the drum for Peppers, Taco and McCaffrey for a long while now. If THOSE guys bust, I'd obviously eat my share of crow as well.

Fortunately, like Bootzie, I'm never wrong so...
Alpha

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:34 am

I think it was RBF that has been knocking Barnett lately.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby real bucs fan » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:25 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:I think it was RBF that has been knocking Barnett lately.

Nah. Upon initial viewing the combination (or lack there of) of size/twitchiness had me not loving him, but revisited him about a month ago and I think he's the clear cut #4 DL in this draft after Garrett, Allen, and Thomas.
real bucs fan

Postby BucJordan » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:27 pm

I don't post in the draft forum too much but the guy most likely to make me eat crow is D'onta Foreman. I don't see him being a productive NFL runner after racking up most of his yards in a spread offense against 6 and 7 man boxes. His running style just doesn't impress me.

However he physically has everytjing you want in a RB so who knows, he could make me look like a fool.
BucJordan

Return to College Football/Draft Talk