Doctors Second Bucs Mock

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Doctors Second Bucs Mock

Postby Doctor » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:31 pm

1. Curtis Samuel, WR, Ohio State

Wait, what? Bet you didn't see this one coming. With everyone focus on RBs and TEs, the Bucs go with someone who they have as a top player. Everyone was distracted with Ross setting the combine record but I'm thinking OBP has Samuel pegged as the best speedster in this draft (4.31). Some might have him as a bit of a reach here and the Bucs could be leaving some nice talent on the board, but Samuel is my official declaration of Jason Litch sneaky man-crush. Sure, we signed Djax, but it's not like he's getting any younger. Samual is a bit of tweener which could actually help him in his slot role between the numbers. He runs angry and isn't afraid of contact. This would give Winston three very dangerous weapons for 2 years and Samual could eventually take the torch from Jackson outside. Not to mention giving us more depth and keeping Humphries in the slot should someone go down with an injury. Many Buc fans won't like it at first, but after a few days homerism and optimism will set in and they will come to love the pick going into the season. Some will speculate that Samuel will contribute as a RB, especially early on when Martin is suspended.

2. Adoree' Jackson, CB, USC

Adoree' is probably the most physically gifted specimen I've seen on a college field since Devin Hester. Unlike Hester, they won't try to make a WR out of him. A long jump champion, Jackson looks like that Jesus Christ Lizard, running one the surface of the turf while everyone else's cleats dig in. He checks a huge box at returner for us and as we all learned last year Litch doesn't mind prioritizing Special Teams. Jackson gives us another bright youngin to groom at the CB spot. He'll have and provide plenty of competition with Ryan Smith while not being unnecessarily leaned on. Which is probably for the best because the guy bites harder than love in a Def Lepppard song on double moves.

3. Marlon Mack, RB, South Florida

When JL likes a guy he goes and gets the guy. Not willing to give GMs the night between days 2 and 3 to discover what he already knows about Mack, JL pulls the trigger in the 3rd. Plenty has already been made of Mack in the forum so I don't really need to say much. Though I'm probably the only one to have him going this early.

4. Jordan Leggett, TE, Clemson

Safety Lorenzo Jerome goes right before their eyes, so they turn their attention to the TEs on the board. While the staff loves Brate, it's no secret they want to add more juice to the position. It comes down to Hodges or Leggett in the fourth and OBP goes with the tiger. Like many TE's coming out these days he's an overgrown WR that can line up inside or outside. Unlike many TE's today, he improved on his blocking a lot this past year and showed he's willing to really get in there and grind. No, he won't come in and own the position like an OJ Howard would, but that's okay. Despite everyone wanting to replace him, Brate is by no means a liability in the position and once again there will be plenty of breathing room to groom and grow. Goodness if feels nice to be able to bring along rookies slowly.

5th- Leon McQuay III, S, USC

Raw but the kind of body you can mold if the mind is willing. Can come in and contribute on ST right away too.

6. Garrett Sickles, DE, Penn

No, Sickles are not Sandusky tickles, but actually the name who led the Big Ten in quarterback pressures (43). Also bolsters ST.

7. Billy Brown, WR/TE, Shephard

Averaged 94 catch, 1535 yards, and 16 TDs over the last two seasons.

Bonus:
UDFA to make team- Josh Holsey, CB, Auburn
Doctor

Re: Doctors Second Bucs Mock

Postby Cheb » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:37 pm

Well, this would certainly address our issues with speed, although every prospect is a bit raw.

At first glance, I like it. I'm at work right now, so I'll give a more informed opinion later. Suffice to say, this draft has potential.

Solid work, man.
Cheb

Postby real bucs fan » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:38 pm

I think Samuel is underrated, don't think he's far behind McCaffery as a weapon personally, but don't think he's an option at 19. Not a big fan of Adoree or Mack either.

Appreciate the originality though.
real bucs fan

Postby Doctor » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:50 pm

Cheb wrote:Well, this would certainly address our issues with speed, although every prospect is a bit raw.

At first glance, I like it. I'm at work right now, so I'll give a more informed opinion later. Suffice to say, this draft has potential.

Solid work, man.

I think they built the roster very much like this to allow them to do exactly that, go in a little more raw and groom. There's really no pressure to start any of these rookies immediately, yet all can come in and contribute big if/when they are ready to do so.

real bucs fan wrote:I think Samuel is underrated, don't think he's far behind McCaffery as a weapon personally, but don't think he's an option at 19. Not a big fan of Adoree or Mack either.

Appreciate the originality though.

Why isn't he an option?

I think they'll be a run at corner with guys like Teez and even Sidney Jones being gone by our pick. Adoree ends up being the best one left and that's perfectly fine. Like I said earlier, given that Dirk and Mike Smith can take their time, they pounce on a chance to take an elite freak like Adoree. Who, at worse, ends up being a stud returner. Mack isn't my favorite pick either, he's my 6th RB actually. But I'm not the one drafting. I think Jason will have a few of names at the position that he likes later, but when he see's the others go, he doesn't chance it.
Doctor

Postby real bucs fan » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:55 pm

Does Samuel really help us run the ball? I mean he's an upgrade over Hump, sure, but think other directions will help the team more.
real bucs fan

Postby Super K » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:11 pm

Echoing what Cheb said, it's damn original Doc..

I'm not the biggest Samuel or Adoree fans, but that doesn't mean the cards won't fall this way..

Mack in the 3rd may be a bit high, but I like him #2 among RBs for us..

Legget could be a steal and offers another big body guy..

From there on it's a crapshoot in any mock so to each his own..
Super K

Postby threadkiller » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:56 pm

I would have Samuel in play for our second pick because he is such a good looking athlete. He is completely raw as a receiver. Very seldom used outside in the games I watched. Route running virtually nonexistent. Inconsistent hands. Don't like him as a running back, speed only (which he has in pads, on the football field). I'm guessing we'd be leaving at least a dozen skill position players I like better to take him at 19. If you want speed, I'd go Ross by a mile. I don't think Samuel is ever more than a situational runningback and I'm not sure he develops into a NFL outside receiver.

I'm not crazy about Jackson. I'd rather not draft a corner primarily for his return ability. I would have made that same mistake last year with Cyrus in the 2nd, though. At least you didn't take him at 19.

Mack in the 3rd is my least favorite yet.

I don't know about any of the other guys, but those first 3 picks would frustrate me greatly.
threadkiller

Postby GameTime » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:33 pm

Who does samuel really compare to? Percy harvin at best? Hes a great athlete, but does he have a position in the NFL? Im not sure. He did well in college because Meyer got him in space - but it isnt that easy in the NFL. Can he win with his routes or his hands? Doubt it. But who knows.

I havent watched much of adoree, but I think id love it in the second. He fits the mold of the athletic smaller CB we have been collecting, and our fanbase could stop griping about a returner.

Hate the Mack pick. Is he gonna get dirty in the middle? Or is he just gonna try to bust it outside? Think he is another product of the college game.

Really like leggett - but think we need a better blocker to pair with brate.

I do like the speed.
GameTime

Postby Four Verticals » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:46 pm

I think the Bucs would look at both Samuel and A. Jackson for the same pick...the 2nd rounder.

Mack I'm not jumping up and down about. If the Bucs draft a TE, I think it will be a guy destined to play inline. Not sure Leggett fits the mold. McQuay may not be drafted.
Four Verticals

Postby Alpha » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:56 am

A few thoughts:

Samuel at 19 would be a massive reach. Nearly every source (Walter, NFL.com. CBS, etc.) has him as a 2nd round prospect. Granted...he could surprise but a massive reach none the less.

IF the draft were to fall this way, I like Adoree and Mack at 2 and 3. people who think Mack is a reach at 3 need to keep in mind where we're picking. He's probably a 4th rounder...but may not make it to 19. IF we like him, we may need to take him in the 3rd.

From what I've read (and heard locally), we seem to really like the TE out of Ashland. I've yet to see a mock with him in it. I've seen him going anywhere from the 2nd-4th rounds...

We have 2 QB's on the roster. We're either drafting one or bringing in a vet. As most of the back-up vets have been signed, my bet is we draft one. We've been linked to the kid out of Princeton. Been for a visit. He's talented but raw. (Torgenson or whatever his name is)...don't be surprised if we draft one late.

Mixed bag but nice effort. Personally, I really think (based on team visits/meetings/local talk) that we have 2 or 3 guys targeted at 19 and a slew of guys targeted based on a trade-down scenario. I'm looking for a trade down into the mid-low 20's, where guys like Samuel, Jackson and the like are more likely to be chosen and not as "reached" for.
Alpha

Postby Brazen331 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:15 am

The only thing you would have to do to get me to like this mock is flip the 1st and 2nd round picks. I'm not a fan of Samuel because I think you are basically flipping a coin with him. He could be very good or another 2nd round dud that we always seem to find. That's why I'm more comfortable with him as the 2nd rounder.

Perhaps I'm reading too much into this meeting, visit, workout thing and who happens to be receiving these thing from the Bucs, but I'm starting to get the feeling that there's a good chance that Adoree Jackson could very well end up on this team. He could very well be in the top 10 of the team's board and a solid take at 19 for all we know.

I referred to him as a reach at 19 in another thread but now I think I was wrong. I really don't know how elite of a CB he can become. He has made some crazy INTs. As a returner he is beyond special though. He can be another Devin Hester or Tyreek Hill. The sky is the limit with him in this department. Is that worth a first? I think so.

And I always try to read Licht's mind, too. Anyone with the psychology to spend a 2nd on a potentially generational K will definitely invest a 1st in a potentially generational P/K returner who could also be an extremely competent CB and an offensive gadget player. And come to think of it, we could have DJax and AJax on the field at the same time. That could turn out to be a good idea.
Brazen331

Postby mdb1958 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:10 am

You should never self medicate Doc. Your leaving out the trade downs we got for dropping all the way down to pick CS. I'd say atleast three. If we were even considering such a move we would take anything the guy right below us would offer ------ even 7th rounders. And if thats all were getting I'd say our draft team is plain stupid and more than that "weak".
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:14 am

I'd take the other Penn guy Schwan before Sickles.
mdb1958

Postby Doctor » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:38 am

Alpha wrote:A few thoughts:

Samuel at 19 would be a massive reach. Nearly every source (Walter, NFL.com. CBS, etc.) has him as a 2nd round prospect. Granted...he could surprise but a massive reach none the less.

IF the draft were to fall this way, I like Adoree and Mack at 2 and 3. people who think Mack is a reach at 3 need to keep in mind where we're picking. He's probably a 4th rounder...but may not make it to 19. IF we like him, we may need to take him in the 3rd.

From what I've read (and heard locally), we seem to really like the TE out of Ashland. I've yet to see a mock with him in it. I've seen him going anywhere from the 2nd-4th rounds...

We have 2 QB's on the roster. We're either drafting one or bringing in a vet. As most of the back-up vets have been signed, my bet is we draft one. We've been linked to the kid out of Princeton. Been for a visit. He's talented but raw. (Torgenson or whatever his name is)...don't be surprised if we draft one late.

Mixed bag but nice effort. Personally, I really think (based on team visits/meetings/local talk) that we have 2 or 3 guys targeted at 19 and a slew of guys targeted based on a trade-down scenario. I'm looking for a trade down into the mid-low 20's, where guys like Samuel, Jackson and the like are more likely to be chosen and not as "reached" for.

Apply that same Mack logic to the first round. There are 31 picks between 19 and 50. If Litch wants Samuel he may not want to risk him not being there at 50, so you take him where you can. There are a slew of teams between our first two picks that can easily fall in love with a player like Samuel and it only takes one. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a massive reach too and he's not a top 20 player by any stretch. But this isn't a What Doc Wants mock, it's a prediction.

I love Adam Shaheen, I have him as the 3rd best TE ahead of Engram. I wanted to mock him in but I couldn't place him over Adoree' and while I would take him in the 3rd easily over Mack (if he were there), I don't think Litch agrees with me.
Doctor

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:55 am

April Fools is just 1 day. Not the entire month. Samuel is a prototypical Al Davis picks. Fast but raw as hell. Is he even a top 100 pick, let alone top 20!

Jackson? No thanks. The rest is meh.
Bootz2004

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:59 am

I think the Christian McCaffery- Curtis Samuel comps are pretty disrespectful to McCaffery as a RB. I get that they are both 'versatile', but McCaffery has run for over 3600yds the past 2 seasons in a pro-style offense, whereas Samuel was a gadget RB in the Urban Meyer spread R/O offense ala Percy Harvin.

McCaffery will be a RB in the NFL. His size may prevent him from being a 25-30 carry per game workhorse, but those guys are few and far between these days and most teams employ some type of rotation anyways. McCaffery will be a 15-20 carry guy w/ another handful of touches catching the ball. Most importantly imo will be McCaffery's value on 3rd down.

Samuel is electric athlete for sure and a playmaker when he gets the ball in space. But he's not a RB, and very raw at WR so I'd worry about spending a 1st rd pick on a gadget player you would almost have to scheme ways to get the ball to since his route running and catching the ball in traffic as a WR needs to be developed. There is upside w/ Samuel for sure, but I wouldn't be very excited if we drafted him rd 1.
DreadNaught

Postby Alpha » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:42 pm

Doctor wrote:

Apply that same Mack logic to the first round.

The difference being, I (speaking for myself), don't take such a huge reach in the first round.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:59 pm

Doctor wrote:

Apply that same Mack logic to the first round. There are 31 picks between 19 and 50. If Litch wants Samuel he may not want to risk him not being there at 50, so you take him where you can. There are a slew of teams between our first two picks that can easily fall in love with a player like Samuel and it only takes one. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a massive reach too and he's not a top 20 player by any stretch. But this isn't a What Doc Wants mock, it's a prediction.

I love Adam Shaheen, I have him as the 3rd best TE ahead of Engram. I wanted to mock him in but I couldn't place him over Adoree' and while I would take him in the 3rd easily over Mack (if he were there), I don't think Litch agrees with me.

So you see Shaheen as a 2nd-3rd rounder. Sounds about right. The kid has MASSIVE potential. I like him. In 2-3 years, he could be one of the best, All-Around TE's in the league. Massive size. Very good speed. Maybe we pull an Arugula trade but do it right. Move back into the late 2nd and take Shaheen...or another kicker...

Mixon is another guy that could go anywhere...and the team that wants him might have to take him when they can (1st)?

I kind of look at where we really need help. IMO, It's at S, CB, WR. Positions like TE, QB, RB...sure...we could use the talent but are secondary necessities (late rounders'), in my view.

The problem I have with Jackson, is that (again, IMO) you are over-valuing him based on his primary (at this point) attribute; returning kicks/punts. Anyone else remember the kid out of App St. that we drafted several years ago? I think we took that clown in the 2nd as well. He was a "WR" who was really a KR. Granted...I think Adoree has more potential as a CB than that guy did as a WR...but I'm not risking a high pick on that. Samuel is a similar type of guy.

We just have a different philosophy when it comes to drafting: You don't mind using high picks on the massive boom/bust guys. Nothing wrong with that (necessarily)...I just am a bit more "conservative" when it comes to my draft choices. Especially in the first 2-3 rounds.
Alpha

Postby GameTime » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:18 pm

Does shaheen have more in common with dexter jackson than adoree jackson? I would think so.
GameTime

Postby Four Verticals » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:14 pm

Ryan Griffin will likely be on the roster so there's really 3 QBs on the roster. I don't think they'll draft one but I guess it could happen.
Four Verticals

Postby Alpha » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:10 pm

Four Verticals wrote:

Ryan Griffin will likely be on the roster so there's really 3 QBs on the roster. I don't think they'll draft one but I guess it could happen.

I guess you're counting Renfree.

Let's make this clear: I SERIOUSLY doubt we're going into this season with those 3 QB's on this roster. Griffin is probably staying. The coaching staff has been talking him up for 2 years now.

Personally, I believe we should bring in a vet. That said...we haven't.

I refuse to believe we are going into this year with these 3 QB's...and nothing else. I'll take Griffin as a back-up. I can live with that. Renfree isn't a "project". He's camp fodder.

We'll either sign or take a QB in this draft.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:11 pm

GameTime wrote:Does shaheen have more in common with dexter jackson than adoree jackson? I would think so.

WTF does this even mean?

Stay off the drugs kid. They're bad. Mmmkay?
Alpha

Postby GameTime » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:21 am

Alpha wrote:
GameTime wrote:Does shaheen have more in common with dexter jackson than adoree jackson? I would think so.

WTF does this even mean?
Stay off the drugs kid. They're bad. Mmmkay?

I always thought dexterjackson was a small school guy with potential? Thats shaheen in the comparison. Adoree Jackson is the big school guy, who has already played elite competition.
GameTime

Return to College Football/Draft Talk