Cheb's Official Post Free Agency Mock

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Re: Cheb's Official Post Free Agency Mock

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:22 pm

Brazen331 wrote:Maybe I agree with MB too. What I was trying to convey with the potential trade up idea is that I think Njoku might be who were are targeting. This team hit the jackpot with a 20 year old receiver a few years ago and here is another 20 year old receiving phenom. This might give them confidence they can turn the same trick twice.

He also looks like he has had as much if not the most contact from the team compared to any other player in the draft. And, he is from one of the big 3 state schools. Winston, VHIII, Aguayo...we seem to draft in-state high as of late.

I think the draft is pretty good at most positions that moving up is not super necessary.

Remember that mock drafts came from the war rooms. These guys do it over and over again to try and figure out the right formula.

I would LOVE to be a fly on the wall in OBP this time of year.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Alpha » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:19 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Brazen331 wrote:Maybe I agree with MB too. What I was trying to convey with the potential trade up idea is that I think Njoku might be who were are targeting. This team hit the jackpot with a 20 year old receiver a few years ago and here is another 20 year old receiving phenom. This might give them confidence they can turn the same trick twice.

He also looks like he has had as much if not the most contact from the team compared to any other player in the draft. And, he is from one of the big 3 state schools. Winston, VHIII, Aguayo...we seem to draft in-state high as of late.

I think the draft is pretty good at most positions that moving up is not super necessary.

Remember that mock drafts came from the war rooms. These guys do it over and over again to try and figure out the right formula.

I would LOVE to be a fly on the wall in OBP this time of year.

Give it to Licht...he has been VERY good at not giving anything away. None of us...and I include those of us living in the Tampa Bay area...have ANY idea where they're looking (specifically). Even the local sports radio hacks are guessing.

I COULD see trade up scenarios but they mostly involve one of the top 2 safeties slipping into the 10-15 range....and I don't think for a second that will happen.

A trade down is much more likely IMO. You just can't assume it so we make our best guess based on picking at 19...
Alpha

Postby Doctor » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:24 am

Man, there are going to be some big surprising names on the board Day 2. I'd love to trade down. If Mitch somehow makes it to us at 19 I'd have a lot of teams on the phone so fast. Trade down with say any of the Browns, 9ers, Bears, Jets... Get their 2nd, 3rd, swap 4ths, and next years 3rd as well.
Doctor

Postby Doctor » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:54 pm

I was just putting together another mock draft and I realized it looked almost identical to this one. :lol:
It had us taking Njoku, Goodwin, and Davenport.

Damn, so I guess that's a thumbs up from me on this mock.

On another note I too was using Walterfootball's meeting tracker when putting my mock together. Litch hasn't met with Cook yet, which is heartbreaking. But he also didn't meet with Mike Evans, so there is still hope. He did meet with a lot of players we've drafts from Sims to Pamphile, to our last two first rounders Winston and VH3. No meetings with Smith or Marpet, which I found interesting, especially when trading up.

The more I think of it the more I agree that If Howard or Njoku are there they will be the pick. Litch has met with them plenty which makes sense after he wiffed on ASJ who he never met with. He probably really feels like he has to get this one right. DK is probably all for drafting a TE too. Sure he loves Brate, we all do, but come on. DK made bust Mercedes Lewis into a Pro Bowler in Jacksonville and got everything out of Tony G during his last two season (granted, he's the GOAT). And we saw how much he used Brate. Getting a weapon at TE is a big deal. With that said, there are TEs at every round in this draft and if we miss out on one of the top two I'm not really worried.

2nd- Shasheen/Engram
3rd- Leggett/Butt
4th- Smith (FIU) (Another guy people should take a look at) / Hodges
5th- Sprinkle
6th- Roberts
7th- Billy Brown

This is a ridiculously deep TE class and I'm sure we'll be grabbing one at some point.
Doctor

Postby Alpha » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:12 pm

Doctor wrote:Man, there are going to be some big surprising names on the board Day 2. I'd love to trade down. If Mitch somehow makes it to us at 19 I'd have a lot of teams on the phone so fast. Trade down with say any of the Browns, 9ers, Bears, Jets... Get their 2nd, 3rd, swap 4ths, and next years 3rd as well.

You're starting to see more and more "reputable" mock drafts, with QB's going early. Can't say I'm shocked...happens every year. I don't think ANY of these QB's deserve a 1st round selection (perhaps Watson) but I could see the Jets AND Bills taking QB's with their 1st round picks. All it takes is one team to take a QB early and you could see as many as 4 of these JAG's go in the first.

Same with guys who can rush the passer. I think you'll see guys like Reddick and Taco go early for that reason.

IF QB's and pass rushers go earlier than they should (and they almost always do)...this type of scenario wouldn't be all that shocking. A scenario where we get to pick 15 or 16 and ALL of these players are still available:

Cook
McCaffrey
J. Ross
M. Williams
Peppers
C. Davis
M. Humphrey

Outside of Cook, I would take ANY of those other guys, in a heartbeat, if they fell to 19.

Granted, it would take 2 QB's going early and a couple of surprises (Reddick/Taco and/or Tak McKinnley going early)...but these types of players DO tend to go early...
Alpha

Postby Doctor » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:22 am

I see more and more drafts dropping Mike Williams and Davis down, which is insane to me. I'd hop on either if there. McCaffrey, Ross, and Peppers don't need to be "pushed down", I think they are all very easily in play at our pick already. Maybe even top of the second.

I'm undecided on Humphrey and I can't even tell you why. I want to like him. I should. The guy can be great. But for some reason, my heart isn't in it. Perhaps it's more accurate to say I just love other CBs more? I love Teez Tabor, Gareon Conley, Tre White, and Sidney Jones even with the injury. I'd throw Quincy Wilson in there too but not nearly on the same level as those guys. The problem with all of them is that they fall into that void between 19 and 50, which is why I'd love to trade down.
Doctor

Postby Alpha » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:56 am

Doctor wrote:I'm undecided on Humphrey and I can't even tell you why. I want to like him. I should. The guy can be great. But for some reason, my heart isn't in it. Perhaps it's more accurate to say I just love other CBs more?

I agree. He's getting a lot of love from pro scouts but how many times have the Alabama guys disappointed?

Is it an Alabama thing?

Dunno...it just seems like those guys never pan out in the pros. Maybe it's a Mark Barron thing. Still traumatized...it just seems like the 'Bama guys fall short when they hit the big time.

Yet and still...he's considered a top 3 CB in this draft...
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:01 am

Doctor wrote:McCaffrey, Ross, and Peppers don't need to be "pushed down", I think they are all very easily in play at our pick already. Maybe even top of the second.

This part I STONGLY disagree with.

You won't find many (If ANY) reputable sites that have these guys falling into the 2nd round.

Peppers and McCaffrey. Those 2 are the big questions when it comes to position players. Similar players on different sides of the ball.

There are enough "new school" coaches in the league now, that believe they can find uses for these type of hybrid players. Koetter is that type of coach. Smith is as well...
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:04 am

Doctor wrote:which is why I'd love to trade down.

I'm more inclined towards this as well...however, you can't assume this.

Most of us will be here on draft day...we can go nuts if that happens. Then.
Alpha

Postby Doctor » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:13 am

Alpha wrote:
Doctor wrote:McCaffrey, Ross, and Peppers don't need to be "pushed down", I think they are all very easily in play at our pick already. Maybe even top of the second.

This part I STONGLY disagree with.

You won't find many (If ANY) reputable sites that have these guys falling into the 2nd round.

Peppers and McCaffrey. Those 2 are the big questions when it comes to position players. Similar players on different sides of the ball.

There are enough "new school" coaches in the league now, that believe they can find uses for these type of hybrid players. Koetter is that type of coach. Smith is as well...

I said MAYBE even. And I didn't mean all of the together at the same time. But one, likely, two perhaps, three? Eh.... More than anything was pointing out that they are all very much in play already at 19 and it's not like we need to be praying for them to fall or anything. In fact it's safe to say if any actually go in the top 15 it'd be a surprise.
Doctor

Previous

Return to College Football/Draft Talk