Miami Pro Day

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Miami Pro Day

Postby PanteraCanes » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:48 am

Jamal Carter - S
Adrian Colbert - CB
Stacy Coley - WR
Standish Dobard - TE
Corn Elder - CB
Jermaine Grace - OLB/S
Danny Isidora - OG
Rayshawn Jenkins - S
Brad Kaaya - QB
Malcolm Lewis - WR
Al-Quadin Muhammad - DE
David Njoku - TE
Justin Vogel - P
Marquez Williams - FB
Joe Yearby - RB

I bolded the ones I would like to see us get in their respective rounds.

Per Matt Porter

Best hand-timed 40-yard dash results (consensus of a pool of reporters):

Jamal Carter: 4.6

Stacy Coley: 4.33

Stan Dobard: 4.74

Al-Quadin Muhammad: 4.78

David Njoku: 4.49

Corn Elder: 4.45

Jermaine Grace: 4.58 (at 220 pounds)

Joe Yearby: 4.73

Malcolm Lewis: 4.53

Marquez Williams: 4.58 (which drew shouts from teammates and coaches)

Multiple people have Miami CB Adrian Colbert at 4.25 in his 40 at pro day.

David Njoku jumped 40 in the vertical jump (and that was on his first attempt)
PanteraCanes

Re: Miami Pro Day

Postby PanteraCanes » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:01 pm

Some background

Grace and Muhammad didn't get to play this year due to some car rental issue that might not of got them kicked off if we weren't on probation (which was over a few months later). So the general feeling is that they would of really shown in the new defense and with much better coaches last year. Will probably get a good deal on them in later rounds when if they played they might of been in earlier rounds.

Colbert was a transfer and he really played well. Only was here one year but is already singing the praises of our new coaches for really changing his chance of making the NFL and giving him playing time which he was really good.

Njoku probably needs a little more polishing but is certainly a specimen and will probably continue in the line of TEU for the NFL. I am sure this is the person most of you already know about while the others you all may have little to no idea.
PanteraCanes

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:57 pm

I really like CB Corn Elder. Plays hard every snap and good athleticism. One of the CBs I didn't know anything about a month ago that I could see sneak into day 2. But likely a day 3 pick.
DreadNaught

Postby Bootz2004 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:15 pm

Njoku ran a 4.49? At 245
Bootz2004

Postby Teitan » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:18 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:Njoku ran a 4.49? At 245

That's the fastest of several "unofficial hand clocked times" I've seen. Seen all the way up to 4.69.
Teitan

Postby PanteraCanes » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:26 pm

DreadNaught wrote:I really like CB Corn Elder. Plays hard every snap and good athleticism. One of the CBs I didn't know anything about a month ago that I could see sneak into day 2. But likely a day 3 pick.

Yeah, I have been hoping we could snag him in like the 3rd for a while.

As far as the times, I tried to leave the full quote so that people could just for themselves based on the hand time parts. Though I do know he can move on the field and he is absolutely ripped right now. Statue of David like.
PanteraCanes

Postby Cheb » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:50 pm

Does it really matter what Njoku runs? We all know he's fast for the position.
Cheb

Postby Kress » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:38 pm

I'd take Njoku, but not sure about anyone else. I do, however find those numbers silly. People are just too fast nowadays. But I didn't make my "pick" out of that bunch based on something as completely irrelevant to football as a dead sprint 40 time. He just looks good on the field. Dude can play.
Kress

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:14 am

Cheb wrote:Does it really matter what Njoku runs? We all know he's fast for the position.

No. I was just kind of intrigued though. 40 is useless to me. I even remember them saying Njoku got a better jump on his 2nd 40 than his 1st.

Either way he's 20 years old. Still has some time to develop into his grown man body.
Bootz2004

Postby MJW » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:42 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
Cheb wrote:Does it really matter what Njoku runs? We all know he's fast for the position.

No. I was just kind of intrigued though. 40 is useless to me. I even remember them saying Njoku got a better jump on his 2nd 40 than his 1st.

Either way he's 20 years old. Still has some time to develop into his grown man body.

Youngest player in the draft class, I think I read.

If he was 24 I'd STILL want to draft him in the first round.

Does everyone remember that year that everything came together for Vernon Davis? His head was on straight, he was healthy, etc? And he put up something like 13 TDs and 16 YPC? That could be Njoku every year if he lands in a good spot for his talents and things work out.

In Tampa, he's our #2 receiver (in terms of catches) year in, year out, behind Mike Evans, slicing up teams between the hashes and combining with ME to be unstoppable in the end zone.

He's entered "I'm going to be seriously peeved if we pass on him" territory for me. More likely, some smart team will take him well before we have the chance.
MJW

Postby terrytate » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:34 am

MJW wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

Youngest player in the draft class, I think I read.

If he was 24 I'd STILL want to draft him in the first round.

Does everyone remember that year that everything came together for Vernon Davis? His head was on straight, he was healthy, etc? And he put up something like 13 TDs and 16 YPC? That could be Njoku every year if he lands in a good spot for his talents and things work out.

In Tampa, he's our #2 receiver (in terms of catches) year in, year out, behind Mike Evans, slicing up teams between the hashes and combining with ME to be unstoppable in the end zone.

He's entered "I'm going to be seriously peeved if we pass on him" territory for me. More likely, some smart team will take him well before we have the chance.

That last line is actually my concern. I am worried that GM's have seen all of this from the beginning and both Howard and Njoku are long gone before we pick. Hodges on day two would be a good fall back option IMO. Hodges doesn't seem to get a lot of love, but I think he is damn near the same player as Njoku if only even more raw.
terrytate

Postby Alpha » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:48 am

Anyone who follows UM football knows this:

There are and have been many players that under-achieve at the U, that really turn it on in the pros.

Calais Campbell and Allen Hurns are two that immediately come to mind.

There are players on that list...OUTSIDE of Njoku, that will be very good pros.
Alpha

Return to College Football/Draft Talk