Either - Or: 2017 NFL Draft edition

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Re: Either - Or: 2017 NFL Draft edition

Postby Cheb » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:42 am

Alpha wrote:Just a gut feeling here...but based on the coaching staff...the type of offensive/defensive philosophies...and who I THINK will be available when we pick...

I really think this comes down to an either/or of Peppers vs. McCaffrey. Similar players on different sides of the ball.

One of those two are gonna be the guy. Maybe we move down (or up) but as it stands now...it's one of these two.

My gut says that if one of the two tight ends are there, one of them is the pick.
Cheb

Postby Alpha » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:44 am

Cheb wrote:
Alpha wrote:Just a gut feeling here...but based on the coaching staff...the type of offensive/defensive philosophies...and who I THINK will be available when we pick...

I really think this comes down to an either/or of Peppers vs. McCaffrey. Similar players on different sides of the ball.

One of those two are gonna be the guy. Maybe we move down (or up) but as it stands now...it's one of these two.

My gut says that if one of the two tight ends are there, one of them is the pick.

Could be.

Now...who do you take? The better player now...or the potentially (much) better player in 3 years?
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:46 am

Personally...I think this staff goes with OJ.

He's a much safer 1st rounder. Especially coming off of the Arugulla pick last year.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:00 am

There's one other variable...someone had brought up in a previous thread:

The "WTF" pick. The guy that goes a LOT earlier than most think he will. Njoku and Peppers are those type of players.

I don't "think" either one will go 10-15...but it's entirely possible some coach/GM sees the "potential" in either one and tries to be "smarter" than everyone else by taking one of them early.
Alpha

Postby beardmcdoug » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:19 am

Super K wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:
I don't necessarily agree with that. If you're looking for a guy who gets North/South immediately and is great running inside, Mixon isn't that guy. It was a big complaint last season with Sims but it's not the only way a RB can win. Mixon fits on any team.

In order to go North and South, Cook needs a clear path and be able to see/choose his hole..

This isn't a strong suit of our OL as evidenced by our RB's having to break 2,3,4 tackles just to try and get back to the LOS..

Cook doesn't have and hasn't shown that ability..At all..

My biggest fear with selecting Cook is he gets bottled up for most of the game just trying to get out of the backfield..

His best fit would be a ZBS where he can stretch the LOS, see a hole and blaze through it..

JMO

He is phenomenal when there's day light... but he's also REALLY GOOD when there's not. To say that he "hasn't shown that ability... at all..." is quite a bit of insult to this dude

Cook has zero problem breaking tackles behind LOS / improvising on broken down blocking / putting head down and plowing through pile:

:45
1:25
1:55
2:10
2:58
3:00
4:28
4:38
5:23
6:45
6:55
7:00
7:52
8:13
8:26
8:32
8:42
8:45
8:46
8:47

and be sure to watch the in betweens to remind yourself how special this guy is... I mean it really doesn't get much better than this... the speed, agility, ease of breaking tackles, angles, vision, balance, pass catching ability - he literally has it all

The ONLY reason I wouldn't sprint to the podium at #19 is his shoulder injury history

one more gif for the road:
Last edited by beardmcdoug on Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
beardmcdoug

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:23 am

Ya, for me the thing Cook has over McCaffery is that he has shown that he's very good running inside. Seems to know how to get at least 2 or 3 yards falling forward even if nothing is there.

The only concern I have with Cook on the field is the high fumble rate which isn't nothing. But he can run inside, outside, at the goalline, break the homerun, and be a dynamic threat on 3rd downs. Of this I am quite confident.
real bucs fan

Postby Teitan » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:25 am

Like Mcdoug up there, my only big concern with Cook is the shoulder history. Fumbling can be fixed.
Teitan

Postby Super K » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:49 am

Bear, first off I appreciate you putting that post together (even the Trump kick in the nuts)..Good info and I know it took awhile..

2 things I want to address as I've seen every snap Cook has taken in his career..

#1. My opinion of him is, admittedly, being swayed by what I saw THIS year..I did not take into account what he did in '14 or '15..That's my bad..

#2. That being said, I stated a couple of times that there seemed to be something wrong with Cook this year..He seemed stiffer and unable to perform the little jump cuts, sway cuts that I was used to seeing with him..To my non-medically trained eye, it looked as though he had/has an issue with his hips..He was much more of a straight line runner and he ran more upright..

That GIF you posted at the end, that was 2014 against Louisville..Same scenerio this year and I think he is tackled for a loss..

It'd be interesting to see/map out the examples you provided broken into seasons..

I just didn't see the​ wiggle/waggle from him this year..
Super K

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:03 am

Super K wrote:Bear, first off I appreciate you putting that post together (even the Trump kick in the nuts)..Good info and I know it took awhile..

2 things I want to address as I've seen every snap Cook has taken in his career..

#1. My opinion of him is, admittedly, being swayed by what I saw THIS year..I did not take into account what he did in '14 or '15..That's my bad..

#2. That being said, I stated a couple of times that there seemed to be something wrong with Cook this year..He seemed stiffer and unable to perform the little jump cuts, sway cuts that I was used to seeing with him..To my non-medically trained eye, it looked as though he had/has an issue with his hips..He was much more of a straight line runner and he ran more upright..

That GIF you posted at the end, that was 2014 against Louisville..Same scenerio this year and I think he is tackled for a loss..

It'd be interesting to see/map out the examples you provided broken into seasons..

Hopefully an FSU fan can chime in here, but didn't he play through some injuries this year? Wasn't he battling a hamstring?
real bucs fan

Postby beardmcdoug » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:08 am

Super K wrote:Bear, first off I appreciate you putting that post together (even the Trump kick in the nuts)..Good info and I know it took awhile..

Hah - and admittedly, last year was probably the least college (FSU alum) football I've watched in my life - was a crazy/hectic moving year - so I am purely going off what I saw in the past and not really much of last year - besides highlights, truthfully. I'll take your word for what you saw. Wonder if he was dealing with a lingering hammy or ankle tweak...
beardmcdoug

Postby Super K » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:26 am

real bucs fan wrote:

Hopefully an FSU fan can chime in here, but didn't he play through some injuries this year? Wasn't he battling a hamstring?

FYI RBF, I AM a Noles fan..

He had some dings/possible tweaks, but he was MUCH healthier this year than he was in 2014 and 2015..He didn't miss any time this year nor did he have to pull up lame on any runs due to popping his hammy..

Maybe it was a change in running style to protect his hammy? It's also possible that his offseason work out(s) tightened his hips up, especially if he was targeting strengthening​ his legs/the area and he didn't combine that with extra flexibility work..
Super K

Postby Nano » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:05 pm

Interesting theory Super. Any FSU fans here that can confirm it?
Nano

Postby Super K » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:05 pm

Nano wrote:Interesting theory Super. Any FSU fans here that can confirm it?

Ha! Ass..
Super K

Postby Doctor » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:17 pm

Lets get back to it.

Goodwin or Juju?

Shasheen or Engram?
Doctor

Postby Super K » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:43 pm

Doctor wrote:Lets get back to it.

Goodwin or Juju?

Shasheen or Engram?

Goodwin

Shaheen
Super K

Postby mdb1958 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:45 pm

dishonest

or

honest
mdb1958

Postby Alpha » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:48 am

beardmcdoug wrote:
Super K wrote:
In order to go North and South, Cook needs a clear path and be able to see/choose his hole..

This isn't a strong suit of our OL as evidenced by our RB's having to break 2,3,4 tackles just to try and get back to the LOS..

Cook doesn't have and hasn't shown that ability..At all..

My biggest fear with selecting Cook is he gets bottled up for most of the game just trying to get out of the backfield..

His best fit would be a ZBS where he can stretch the LOS, see a hole and blaze through it..

JMO

He is phenomenal when there's day light... but he's also REALLY GOOD when there's not. To say that he "hasn't shown that ability... at all..." is quite a bit of insult to this dude

Cook has zero problem breaking tackles behind LOS / improvising on broken down blocking / putting head down and plowing through pile:

:45
1:25
1:55
2:10
2:58
3:00
4:28
4:38
5:23
6:45
6:55
7:00
7:52
8:13
8:26
8:32
8:42
8:45
8:46
8:47

and be sure to watch the in betweens to remind yourself how special this guy is... I mean it really doesn't get much better than this... the speed, agility, ease of breaking tackles, angles, vision, balance, pass catching ability - he literally has it all

The ONLY reason I wouldn't sprint to the podium at #19 is his shoulder injury history

one more gif for the road:

Really.

You should just stop now.

The way you prostitute yourself for FSU players is kinda sad.

Hilarious...but sad.
Alpha

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:25 am

That gif for the road is a one yard loss in the NFL. No gain at best.

Sayin'
Mountaineer Buc

Postby MJW » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:49 am

At this point, I'd rather listen to Trump and Dubya debate Steinbeck for an hour than spend one more minute bickering about Dalvin Cook.
MJW

Postby Buc2 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:36 am

I don't get into the pre-draft stuff nearly as heavily as many of you here do. Regardless, here's a recent 6 round mock by draft analyst, Chad Reuter. He actually has the Browns taking a QB at #1 (Trubisky). I have been reading some stories that the Browns FO wants Garrett but Hue Jackson wants a QB there instead of Garrett. Anyway, I'm not sure how good this guy is at analyzing drafts, but it looks like his pick for the Bucs at #19 is a player I haven't seen mentioned here. At least not at #19. In fact, I haven't seen any of the names he mocks to the Bucs. At least not to the point I remember seeing them around here. So, is this guy full of crap, or would this be a good draft for us?

Reuter's Bucs picks:
1st Rd = Derek Barnett - DE, Tennessee
2nd Rd = Budda Baker, S, Washington
3rd Rd = Kareem Hunt, RB, Toledo
4th Rd = Alex Anzalone, LB, Florida
5th Rd = Eric Wilson, ILB, Cincinnati
6th Rd = Victor Salako, T, Oklahoma St.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Cheb » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:43 pm

Buc2 wrote:I don't get into the pre-draft stuff nearly as heavily as many of you here do. Regardless, here's a recent 6 round mock by draft analyst, Chad Reuter. He actually has the Browns taking a QB at #1 (Trubisky). I have been reading some stories that the Browns FO wants Garrett but Hue Jackson wants a QB there instead of Garrett. Anyway, I'm not sure how good this guy is at analyzing drafts, but it looks like his pick for the Bucs at #19 is a player I haven't seen mentioned here. At least not at #19. In fact, I haven't seen any of the names he mocks to the Bucs. At least not to the point I remember seeing them around here. So, is this guy full of crap, or would this be a good draft for us?

Reuter's Bucs picks:

People have mocked Barnett to the Bucs, but he kinda fell out of favor around here. Primarily because for the majority of draft season, he was viewed as a top 15 pick, and thus out of reach for us realistically.

Secondly, he isn't the most athletic defensive end, which turns off people during the annual spring underwear drills. He doesn't have the blazing measurables you want in a pass rushing end. But he's absurdly productive against top competition, and while he probably wouldn't win Defensive Rookie of the Year here, he would certainly contribute meaningful snaps to the rotation.

I'd approve of Barnett here, for sure.
Cheb

Postby Doctor » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:10 pm

Buc2 wrote:I don't get into the pre-draft stuff nearly as heavily as many of you here do. Regardless, here's a recent 6 round mock by draft analyst, Chad Reuter. He actually has the Browns taking a QB at #1 (Trubisky). I have been reading some stories that the Browns FO wants Garrett but Hue Jackson wants a QB there instead of Garrett. Anyway, I'm not sure how good this guy is at analyzing drafts, but it looks like his pick for the Bucs at #19 is a player I haven't seen mentioned here. At least not at #19. In fact, I haven't seen any of the names he mocks to the Bucs. At least not to the point I remember seeing them around here. So, is this guy full of crap, or would this be a good draft for us?

Reuter's Bucs picks:

That's odd. Everything I've read says the opposite, like:
According to the Cleveland Plain Dealer's Mary Kay Cabot, coach Hue Jackson favors using the No. 1 overall pick on Texas A&M DE/OLB Myles Garrett.
This comes on the heels of a report from ESPN's Adam Schefter that stated the Browns' higher-ups are "split" on who to take with the top pick, mentioning Garrett and UNC QB Mitchell Trubisky. Jackson wants a "game-changer" at No. 1, and Garrett might be the only true one in this draft. This would suggest the analytically-driven Browns front office is having thoughts about picking a quarterback at No. 1. At the end of the day, we expect Garrett to be the selection.

I would love Barnett here. I would like that draft overall. Really would like to see what else was on the board in round 3, but I'd take that draft easy.
Doctor

Postby Super K » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:07 pm

Cheb wrote:

Reuter's Bucs picks:

People have mocked Barnett to the Bucs, but he kinda fell out of favor around here. Primarily because for the majority of draft season, he was viewed as a top 15 pick, and thus out of reach for us realistically.

Secondly, he isn't the most athletic defensive end, which turns off people during the annual spring underwear drills. He doesn't have the blazing measurables you want in a pass rushing end. But he's absurdly productive against top competition, and while he probably wouldn't win Defensive Rookie of the Year here, he would certainly contribute meaningful snaps to the rotation.

Agreed..

And in that mock:

Rounds 1 and 2 = Nice!

All other rounds = Blech...
Super K

Postby threadkiller » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:54 pm

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... rier=other

There is that full mock. Has Shaheen (my choice there), Hodges, and Tabor available at our third. Pocic almost falls to our 4th. Running backs Williams and Hill there at our 4th. I want oline, but would be thrilled with Barnett, Baker, and Shaheen with our first 3 picks.
threadkiller

Postby Super K » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:04 pm

threadkiller wrote:http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000799773/article/chad-reuter-6round-mock-draft-browns-take-trubisky-no-1?akmobile=ios&akcarrier=other

There is that full mock. Has Shaheen (my choice there), Hodges, and Tabor available at our third. Pocic almost falls to our 4th. Running backs Williams and Hill there at our 4th. I want oline, but would be thrilled with Barnett, Baker, and Shaheen with our first 3 picks.

In round 3 I was looking at WR Goodwin going about 4 picks before us and/or KD Cannon going after us..

Both bring explosiveness and an acrobatic catching ability I'd love to snag to keep our corps solid..

In the 4th, Perine went 10 spots ahead of us to Washington and Jamaal Williams went after us..

Barnett
Baker
Cannon
Williams

I'd be REAL down with this..
Super K

Postby Jason Bourne » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:48 pm

Ross then Robinson

Tabor then Baker
Jason Bourne

Postby Alpha » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:31 pm

Cheb wrote:

Reuter's Bucs picks:

I seriously doubt he falls anywhere near us. I would like to think NFL FO's are better than the rest of us.

Barnett out-produced Myles by a mile (you're welcome), when it comes to production against legit teams. Sure...his measurables don't compare to Myles but there have been arguments made that Barnett will be the more productive pro.

Frankly...I'd take Barnett before I took Myles...and if somehow fell to us, I'd be ecstatic.
Alpha

Postby Super K » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:54 am

Alpha wrote:
Cheb wrote:

I seriously doubt he falls anywhere near us. I would like to think NFL FO's are better than the rest of us.

Barnett out-produced Myles by a mile (you're welcome), when it comes to production against legit teams. Sure...his measurables don't compare to Myles but there have been arguments made that Barnett will be the more productive pro.

Frankly...I'd take Barnett before I took Myles...and if somehow fell to us, I'd be ecstatic.

Couldn't agree more..
Super K

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:06 am

The knock on Barnett is that he doesn't have the ideal arm length you'd prefer in a EDGE/DE in round 1, and his athletic testing is not where you'd like a 1st rounder. Has he already neared his ceiling as a player? Or is there room to grow still? That is the question with Barnett.

But the tape and production speak for itself and imo that should always trump the nit-picky things like arm length and 40-yd dash times we get during the draft process.

Barnett at 19 is a no-brainer imo if he's there. Not the biggest need, but great value at a premium position. You simple can't have enough good D-linemen.
DreadNaught

Postby Doctor » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:26 pm

It feels like Barnett and Solomon Thomas has switched places. Months ago Thomas was the underrated DE who could be there at 19 and Barnett was a lock to go early, now it's the reverse. Some mocks even have Thomas at #2 overall. Heck, if either was there at 19 I would've taken them, back in November or in 10 days.
Doctor

PreviousNext

Return to College Football/Draft Talk