BNB Post Combine Mock Draft

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
BNB Post Combine Mock Draft

Postby Bucs N Beers » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:28 pm

I really like this mock, but completely understand that some folks will hate it.

ROUND ONE: Christian McCaffrey - RB - Stanford
McCaffrey has been growing on me and after the combine workout he put up, I am even more intrigued. He has great patience, vision, burst, and receiving ability. Hell, he may be one of the best route runners in the entire draft. I believe McCaffrey is everything the Bucs want Charles Sims to be. McCaffrey is also a warrior type that loves the game and pushes himself.

ROUND TWO: Budda Baker - S - Washington
Undersized safety but has big playmaking ability. Good instincts, coverage ability and willingness to tackle. Another guy that loves competition. Some people have said that he'd be one of the better cornerbacks in the class if he was to be a corner. His size is really his only knock, but he doesn't play scared.

ROUND THREE: Adam Shaheen - TE - Ashland
This guy has been zooming up the draft board. Big bodied tight end that can run well and displays soft hands. Reminds me of Heath Miller, except a better runner. Ran a 4.79 40 yards dash at the combine.

ROUND FOUR: Tanoh Kpassagnon - DE - Villanova
I don't know that he will last this long, but would be thrilled to get the guy in the 4th. Long athletic player that checks in at 6'7" and 289 pounds. Can be a complete defensive end, but just like Adam Shaheen, will have to see if he can handle the jump to the NFL talent level.

ROUND FIVE: Dede Westbrook - WR - Oklahoma
Quick receiver with good feet. Would have been selected much earlier if not for some past character issues and small frame. Heisman trophy finalist that played bigger than his body. Smooth player. Has return ability as well.

ROUND SIX: Jordan Evans - LB - Oklahoma
Back to back OK players. Didn't plan it that way. Evans wasn't invited to the combine, but probably should have been. Had nearly 100 tackles last year, ran a 4.5 40 yard dash at his pro day and really looks like an impressive athletic linebacker. IMO, the 6th and 7th round is a great place to find a player that will be a solid special teamer and backup.

ROUND SEVEN: Chunky Clements - DT - Illinois
The only holdover from my pre-combine mock draft. Only gets held over because mocking the 7th round is stupid and a name like Chunky is perfect for a DT.

Fire away.
Bucs N Beers

Re: BNB Post Combine Mock Draft

Postby GameTime » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:18 pm

Pretty good chance that baker, tanoh, and westbrook are all gone by those picks. Not many of those guys would be able to make quick impacts either in all likelihood.
GameTime

Postby Super K » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:34 pm

GameTime wrote:Pretty good chance that baker, tanoh, and westbrook are all gone by those picks. Not many of those guys would be able to make quick impacts either in all likelihood.

Agreed, they will all most likely be gone..

100% disagree that they wouldn't make instant impacts..

Baker is a damn stud..Not a doubt in my mind he'd come in as our NB and move to starting at safety by mid-season..

Westbrook's elusiveness and speed would be an absolute terror in the slot with Djax pulling a safety and CB deep while the other DB's are focused on Evans at the 2nd level..He'd be matched up with either a safety or LB..I'll take that ALL day..
Super K

Postby GameTime » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:44 pm

Super K wrote:100% disagree that they wouldn't make instant impacts..

Baker is a damn stud..Not a doubt in my mind he'd come in as our NB and move to starting at safety by mid-season..

Westbrook's elusiveness and speed would be an absolute terror in the slot with Djax pulling a safety and CB deep while the other DB's are focused on Evans at the 2nd level..He'd be matched up with either a safety or LB..I'll take that ALL day..

I really like the idea of drafting baker. But learning nickel and safety as a rookie? Possibly, hopefully, i just wouldnt count on him being more than depth as a rookie. He certainly has a case though. Westbrook would have to supplant the guy who allegedly has the best hands on the team to start in the slot. Have to develop an immediate rappaport with winston. Have to learn an NFL playbook and take NFL hits right from the get go. Definitely possible, I just don't see it likely.
GameTime

Postby Super K » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:57 pm

GameTime wrote:
Super K wrote:100% disagree that they wouldn't make instant impacts..

I really like the idea of drafting baker. But learning nickel and safety as a rookie? Possibly, hopefully, i just wouldnt count on him being more than depth as a rookie. He certainly has a case though. Westbrook would have to supplant the guy who allegedly has the best hands on the team to start in the slot. Have to develop an immediate rappaport with winston. Have to learn an NFL playbook and take NFL hits right from the get go. Definitely possible, I just don't see it likely.

Even if Westbrook "only" becomes our #4 WR, he's a 5th round pick in this mock..What more could we expect..

And Baker would NOT be depth..He'd instantly be the best and most talented safety in the roster..

Hell, I think Baker is a better safety than VH3 is a corner..And VH3 started day 1..
Super K

Postby Nano » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:05 pm

Super K wrote:
GameTime wrote:Pretty good chance that baker, tanoh, and westbrook are all gone by those picks. Not many of those guys would be able to make quick impacts either in all likelihood.

Agreed, they will all most likely be gone..

100% disagree that they wouldn't make instant impacts..

Westbrook would add an interesting element to our offense. Dude probably has more speed than D-Jax. That said...who knows where he goes in the draft. There are reports he could go undrafted after an underwhelming pro day and "Horrible" interviews. Couple teams have given him an undraftable grade
Nano

Postby Bucs N Beers » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:24 pm

Very possible none of them make it to those picks, but it could happen. Each guy has a "blemish" which may cause a bit of a slide. Baker is small, Shaheen and Tanoh played against lesser talent, Westbrook has character and size questions. Kpass is the one I think is most likely not to be there.
Bucs N Beers

Postby threadkiller » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:32 pm

I keep seeing people who like Baker, so I keep watching game cut ups. I'm still not seeing it. His USC and ASU games were definitely better than his Bama and Stanford games. He has a really good motor. Definitely flies around the box. Someone tell me why you think he can play FS for us. It's no where in film. 4 games and not once was he the deep safety. Probably 50% of his snaps are from nickel corner (with Wash playing 2 safeties behind him). He is a fluid little athlete, and covers pretty well man on man. That and attacking the LOS is most of what they ask him to do, that I've seen. The little off coverage I've seen has produced some gaffs, and his zones have been few but short/intermediate. The plays he made in the 4 games I watched were 100% in the box. I'm not even sure I would want him in the 2nd. If we draft a safety high, I want a guy who can play the back end. Budda Baker is not that guy, from what I've seen.
threadkiller

Postby Cheb » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:35 pm

This mock is so unrealistic, it stretches belief to the point of shattering.
Cheb

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:38 pm

I see Kpassagnon and I see a complete mess. He's got a bunch of flaws and what's worse is a lot of them don't appear to be fixable. He looks the part but I don't see someone who I'd use a draft pick on.

Baker. Meh. My issue is he's smaller than most corners. Good speed but is he a deep safety? I'd rather have Rayshawn Jenkins later in the draft. Better size and he covers deep pretty well too.
Bootz2004

Postby terrytate » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:54 pm

Only thing I like is Shaheen in the third and I am a bit dubious about him still being there when we pick.
terrytate

Postby real bucs fan » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:08 pm

Always applaud thought through efforts even if my opinions differ.

McCaffery would surprise me at 19. I just don't think he has the mass to be the type of everydown back we're looking for. If we were the Pats or the Pack, or the Giants, I would love it. I just think koetter desires a big physical dude who can run inside with authority.

Big fan of Baker but don't think he's what we need nor do I think gen lasts to 50.

Shaheen scares me as post season risers do.

Dede might be a head case but he'd be a steal in the fifth.
real bucs fan

Postby Teitan » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:07 pm

real bucs fan wrote:Always applaud thought through efforts even if my opinions differ.

McCaffery would surprise me at 19. I just don't think he has the mass to be the type of everydown back we're looking for. If we were the Pats or the Pack, or the Giants, I would love it. I just think koetter desires a big physical dude who can run inside with authority

First, where has it been said that we are looking for a big physical between the tackle runner with authority? The only thing Koetter has really harped on is wanting explosive players, game breakers.

Second, I always see people saying "Mccaf would be great in X offense but not for us". Why? Because they have explosive, high powered offense? Why not us? Maybe Koetter needs these pieces (DJax, Mccaf..) to put our offense on that level like a Packers or Giants or whoever.
Teitan

Postby real bucs fan » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:47 pm

Teitan wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:Always applaud thought through efforts even if my opinions differ.

McCaffery would surprise me at 19. I just don't think he has the mass to be the type of everydown back we're looking for. If we were the Pats or the Pack, or the Giants, I would love it. I just think koetter desires a big physical dude who can run inside with authority

First, where has it been said that we are looking for a big physical between the tackle runner with authority? The only thing Koetter has really harped on is wanting explosive players, game breakers.

Second, I always see people saying "Mccaf would be great in X offense but not for us". Why? Because they have explosive, high powered offense? Why not us? Maybe Koetter needs these pieces (DJax, Mccaf..) to put our offense on that level like a Packers or Giants or whoever.

It is simply my impression. Perhaps I'm wrong.
real bucs fan

Postby terrytate » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:51 pm

Teitan wrote:

It's true that what Koetter is looking for may not be in alignment with what the fans think we need. I too favor getting a big back on the roster, it's possible that Koetter sees no need for one.

As to McCaffery, my issue with him is that he doesn't exceptional on film. He's a decent to good all around back but he is a bit small with good but not exceptional athleticism. From what I've seen, he does have good vision, which is arguably the most important trait a back can have, but he doesn't strike me as a guy who leaps off the film as someone you spend a day one pick on.
terrytate

Postby mdb1958 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:37 am

Bootz2004 wrote:I see Kpassagnon and I see a complete mess. He's got a bunch of flaws and what's worse is a lot of them don't appear to be fixable. He looks the part but I don't see someone who I'd use a draft pick on.

Baker. Meh. My issue is he's smaller than most corners. Good speed but is he a deep safety? I'd rather have Rayshawn Jenkins later in the draft. Better size and he covers deep pretty well too.

Tanoh Kpassagnon earned degrees in finance and accounting during his five years.

A good read. http://www.si.com/nfl/2017/01/26/tanoh- ... -villanova

The part I read about having a frame that can put on 20 more pounds was an eye raiser, as was 4% body fat.

Look I dont know how he is going to turn out but I bet there are a bunch of defensive line coachs that would love to have the freedom of coaching him.
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:40 am

Which makes me wonder? How many NFL players come into the league with 2 degrees. I've always thought most dont get any good degrees finished - maybe I'm wrong.
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:52 am

Cheb wrote:This mock is so unrealistic, it stretches belief to the point of shattering.

I hope you find the time to go more in depth with a player by player approach. Availability has already been brought into question, but it seems some do not hold a few of these players with high regard.

The one player who I knew nothing about was the Oklahoma linebacker, I wonder if he can play SLB? I thought he looked very good in coverage.
mdb1958

Postby Brazen331 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:46 pm

Bucs N Beers wrote:I really like this mock, but completely understand that some folks will hate it.

ROUND ONE: Christian McCaffrey - RB - Stanford
McCaffrey has been growing on me and after the combine workout he put up, I am even more intrigued. He has great patience, vision, burst, and receiving ability. Hell, he may be one of the best route runners in the entire draft. I believe McCaffrey is everything the Bucs want Charles Sims to be. McCaffrey is also a warrior type that loves the game and pushes himself.

ROUND TWO: Budda Baker - S - Washington
Undersized safety but has big playmaking ability. Good instincts, coverage ability and willingness to tackle. Another guy that loves competition. Some people have said that he'd be one of the better cornerbacks in the class if he was to be a corner. His size is really his only knock, but he doesn't play scared.

ROUND THREE: Adam Shaheen - TE - Ashland
This guy has been zooming up the draft board. Big bodied tight end that can run well and displays soft hands. Reminds me of Heath Miller, except a better runner. Ran a 4.79 40 yards dash at the combine.

ROUND FOUR: Tanoh Kpassagnon - DE - Villanova
I don't know that he will last this long, but would be thrilled to get the guy in the 4th. Long athletic player that checks in at 6'7" and 289 pounds. Can be a complete defensive end, but just like Adam Shaheen, will have to see if he can handle the jump to the NFL talent level.

ROUND FIVE: Dede Westbrook - WR - Oklahoma
Quick receiver with good feet. Would have been selected much earlier if not for some past character issues and small frame. Heisman trophy finalist that played bigger than his body. Smooth player. Has return ability as well.

ROUND SIX: Jordan Evans - LB - Oklahoma
Back to back OK players. Didn't plan it that way. Evans wasn't invited to the combine, but probably should have been. Had nearly 100 tackles last year, ran a 4.5 40 yard dash at his pro day and really looks like an impressive athletic linebacker. IMO, the 6th and 7th round is a great place to find a player that will be a solid special teamer and backup.

ROUND SEVEN: Chunky Clements - DT - Illinois
The only holdover from my pre-combine mock draft. Only gets held over because mocking the 7th round is stupid and a name like Chunky is perfect for a DT.

Fire away.

I think to discuss this mock we need to jettison the 1st-round pick completely, so no McCaffery, and we move each pick up a round. To make it more realistic we are going to trade the 7th rounder to move up to select Westbrook who was amazingly still there in the 4th.

1. Buddha Baker
2. Adam Shaheen
3. Tanoe Kpassagnon
4. Dede Westbrook
5. Jordan Evans
6. Chunky Clements

Now that is a realistic draft and I would be happy with that. It's solid. Would have liked a better selection in the 1st but you can't say that you didn't upgrade the weakest position on your team with Wilcox and Baker. If you want Baker you are going to have to take if at 19 anyway. He won't be there at 50.

Tanoe would be the one you really roll the dice on, probably has the highest ceiling and lowest floor in this group.
Brazen331

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:08 am

A 5'9" safety with a 32 inch vertical?

Do Buc fans use their brains, all he could do is tackle Greg Olsen ---------------- after the catch was made.
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:28 am

I think with Witherspoons length and combine results he would make for a better free safety. So would Obi.

High passes will give Baker fits.
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:35 am

As a matter of fact, I'd probably want Kevin King over Baker for what we need him to do.
mdb1958

Postby threadkiller » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:16 am

mdb1958 wrote:A 5'9" safety with a 32 inch vertical?

Do Buc fans use their brains, all he could do is tackle Greg Olsen ---------------- after the catch was made.

5'9" pass rushing box safety who NEVER PLAYS DEEP ZONES. I can't figure it out either, and I can't get any of his fans to discuss him in any detail.
threadkiller

Postby Cheb » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:02 am

As a refresher, here are some highlights of Greg Olsen. Trigger warning: makes the Bucs look bad on multiple occasions. I'm on mobile, so can't imbed the link, do just click.

https://youtu.be/MINXCKdM1n8

Greg Olsen's game isn't winning jump balls, although he can do that occasionally. He wins by running great routes, understanding defenses, and finding the soft spots. It's veteran savvy to a T and it's frustrating as all hell to defend.

Anyway, to cover Greg Olsen, you don't need to win vertically by outjumping him. You need to win mentally by staying with your assignment and your man, and you need to win horizontally by keeping up with his cuts and routes, which is more a matter of quickness than straight line speed. He has some sneaky long speed to him, mind you, so being fast is a definite plus, but his bread and butter isn't the go route.

While having size helps, Olsen doesn't win because he's big. He wins because​ he's crafty.
Cheb

Postby Naismith » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:07 am

Embedded.

Naismith

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:43 am

How come your logic here didn't work in reverse when we had Evans-Vjax-ASJ-Brate? I mean we should have been the #1 passing offense ever according to your logic here.

People wanted to ding DB like Brandon Flowers, Jason Verrett, Earl Thomas, Vernon Hargreaves, etc b/c of this notion they can't play in the NFL b/c receivers/TEs are taller.

As Cheb stated, it has almost everything to do w/ body placement and technique and very little to do w/ height. How many 6'2" CBs have been over drafted the last few years just to wash out in 2-3 years later b/c they are not good football players?

Baker is 5'10 according to the combine measurements. His size may be a concern, but we if eliminate all 5'10 DBs we are missing on a large pool of talented football players.
DreadNaught

Postby threadkiller » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:42 am

https://streamable.com/5dn5t

He has never been asked to play deep zones and when he is man up deep, problems being short without leaping ability to compensate. That was a blow out game and the only points Washington gave up to Stanford this season.
threadkiller

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:54 am

threadkiller wrote:https://streamable.com/5dn5t

He has never been asked to play deep zones and when he is man up deep, problems being short without leaping ability to compensate. That was a blow out game and the only points Washington gave up to Stanford this season.

How often did the Bucs play 2-deep safeties last year? I remember alot of single high looks with with is C-3 or some variation of man2man.

I don't see how it's a 'knock' on Baker that he excels near the LOS and in m2m coverage. Playing 'deep zones' is the easiest part of playing safety in today's NFL. With Baker's athleticism I'm not concerned he or 15 others guys could cover their deep zone responsibility when asked.

Think back to last season when our Safties were exposed, Fitzgerald vs Conte, Tavon Austin v Tandy, etc.. The opposing offense got a m2m matchup on our Safety and burned them for a big play TD. Would a guy w/ Baker's skill set not be an upgrade?

Imo in today's NFL you want a Safety that can do to all in terms of m2m, blitz, TFLs in the run game, and of course the traditional role of sitting back in a deep zone (single high or 2-deep). If you drafting one on day 1 or 2 he better be more than just a deep zone safety.
DreadNaught

Postby Bootz2004 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:56 am

If playing deep zones is the easiest part of playing safety in the NFL then we have no need to consider drafting a deep safety that high.
Bootz2004

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:06 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:If playing deep zones is the easiest part of playing safety in the NFL then we have no need to consider drafting a deep safety that high.

If this was Lovie's defense I'd agree. Perhaps you either missed the point or just once again formulating a dissenting opinion out of thin air.
DreadNaught

Next

Return to College Football/Draft Talk