40 days before Philly

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Re: 40 days before Philly

Postby MJW » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:38 am

Grover Stewart reminds me of Anthony Bryant, if anyone remembers him. Big sumbitch from Alabama we drafted in 2005? Different pedigree but basically the same dude.
MJW

Postby Brazen331 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:56 am

mdb1958 wrote:
Cheb wrote:I watched both of the Grover Stewart games available, and I can see why mdb is excited. He's big, he's strong, and he moves well for a man his size.

However, he isn't a good defensive lineman. He can't handfight, he plays with iffy leverage, sucks versus a double team, questionable pursuit effort. What he does have is a dynamite bullrush. He can move people, that's for sure. But as a nosetackle, he is very one-dimensional, even if that dimension is pretty good.

You know, the differences between a bullrush and a drive block are largely academic. If the Bucs drafted him, I would think long and hard about moving him over to offense and see how he does at guard. With his strength and physical attributes, he could be something special if he gets his technique down.

Just talk about these guys. Now Reuter has him going in the 4th round to the Chargers. What do you think about that?

I think you could still get him for free, mdb. You could still get him for free. Maybe he will want to be on TV and Hard Knocks will be our ace in the hole?
Brazen331

Postby DominatingD55 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:23 pm

real bucs fan wrote:David is very underrated as a pass rusher, people forget that in his best season he had 7 sacks in limited rush opportunities and 5+ sacks in both his years playing at Nebraska as well as 5 sacks last year.
LVD also had 4 of his 5 sacks last year in the final three games. He has been in multiple schemes throughout his time in Tampa and it appears that Smith learned he is a nasty blitzer on third down.
DominatingD55

Postby real bucs fan » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:20 am

I'm warming up to the idea of Sidney Jones in the 2nd round- If we get Cook in the first.

I think we are an ideal landing spot for Jones, as we have a desperate need for a CB- a year from now- when Grimes is a 35 year old FA.
real bucs fan

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:55 pm

real bucs fan wrote:I'm warming up to the idea of Sidney Jones in the 2nd round- If we get Cook in the first.

I think we are an ideal landing spot for Jones, as we have a desperate need for a CB- a year from now- when Grimes is a 35 year old FA.

Cook will be gone.

Jones is a great prospect, but I'd like to get a guy who can get some reps this year before getting tossed into the fire.

So many great corners out there.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby real bucs fan » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:44 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:I'm warming up to the idea of Sidney Jones in the 2nd round- If we get Cook in the first.

Cook will be gone.

Jones is a great prospect, but I'd like to get a guy who can get some reps this year before getting tossed into the fire.

You are probably right, tough to take Jones round 2 when there are so many other great CB prospects who can play right away. I just think we're an ideal landing spot for Jones since we don't need him this year but will have a major need in a year. Maybe round 3? He was my #2 CB in this draft before the injury.
real bucs fan

Postby Alpha » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:25 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Cook will be gone.

You are probably right, tough to take Jones round 2 when there are so many other great CB prospects who can play right away. I just think we're an ideal landing spot for Jones since we don't need him this year but will have a major need in a year. Maybe round 3? He was my #2 CB in this draft before the injury.

We have a major need. This year.

Safety and CB. This year.

In fact...in some other fishing thread...the question was, "who do you trade UP for"?

I'd trade our 1st for Richard Sherman. I'd take a PROVEN 29 year old over ANY rookie/draft prospect.
Alpha

Postby Cheb » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:34 am

Alpha wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:You are probably right, tough to take Jones round 2 when there are so many other great CB prospects who can play right away. I just think we're an ideal landing spot for Jones since we don't need him this year but will have a major need in a year. Maybe round 3? He was my #2 CB in this draft before the injury.

We have a major need. This year.

Safety and CB. This year.

In fact...in some other fishing thread...the question was, "who do you trade UP for"?

I'd trade our 1st for Richard Sherman. I'd take a PROVEN 29 year old over ANY rookie/draft prospect.

Cheb

Postby Buc2 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:03 am

Warren Sapp on Myles Garrett...

I don't see it from this kid. I see the splash plays—everybody gets those. Where's the game he took over? Where? Any defensive lineman who's the No. 1 pick, you turn up and you say, 'There it is!' This kid, no, I don't. I'm a pretty plain and frank guy, and I watch the tape and he disappears. I watch the tape and he absolutely disappears.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:12 am

Buc2 wrote:Warren Sapp on Myles Garrett...

I don't see it from this kid. I see the splash plays—everybody gets those. Where's the game he took over? Where? Any defensive lineman who's the No. 1 pick, you turn up and you say, 'There it is!' This kid, no, I don't. I'm a pretty plain and frank guy, and I watch the tape and he disappears. I watch the tape and he absolutely disappears.

Sapp beat around the bush on Clowney about the same thing prior to the draft in 14' and laid into him after that.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:25 am

I'm sure the 49ers and Bears completely agree w/ Sapp and that the Browns should pass on Myles Garrett.
DreadNaught

Postby Buc2 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:53 am

DreadNaught wrote:I'm sure the 49ers and Bears completely agree w/ Sapp and that the Browns should pass on Myles Garrett.

I believe Hue Jackson feels the same way from a couple articles I've read.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Doctor » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:55 am

Buc2 wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:I'm sure the 49ers and Bears completely agree w/ Sapp and that the Browns should pass on Myles Garrett.

I believe Hue Jackson feels the same way from a couple articles I've read.

Can you share those?
Doctor

Postby Buc2 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:58 am

Doctor wrote:
Buc2 wrote:I believe Hue Jackson feels the same way from a couple articles I've read.

Can you share those?

I got it backwards. Jackson wants Garrett, FO wants Trubisky. Regardless, I don't remember which article(s) specifically, so knock yourself out... https://www.google.com/#q=hue+jackson+wants+trubisky
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Doctor » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:51 pm

That's why I wanted to see what you were reading. Everything I read says Hue is all about Myles and ownership wants a QB.
Doctor

Postby Super K » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:56 pm

Doctor wrote:That's why I wanted to see what you were reading. Everything I read says Hue is all about Myles and ownership wants a QB.

Wow..That's weird because I drive into Ohio a TON for work, specifically the Cleveland area..

All their sports talk radio spin it the other way..

Hue wants Trubisky..

FO wants Garret..
Super K

Postby uscbucsfan » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:00 pm

Super K wrote:
Doctor wrote:That's why I wanted to see what you were reading. Everything I read says Hue is all about Myles and ownership wants a QB.

Wow..That's weird because I drive into Ohio a TON for work, specifically the Cleveland area..

All their sports talk radio spin it the other way..

Hue wants Trubisky..

FO wants Garret..

The national media has stated otherwise. I would think that the Cleveland beat reporters would correct them, but they too collaborate Shefter's report that Jackson wants Garrett, but ownership/analytics says to draft Trubisky.
uscbucsfan

Postby Buc2 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:45 am

Yeah. Sorry about that. :oops:
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby threadkiller » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:00 pm

So, Conley is catching a predraft rape accusation. What round would you look at him? Or is he off your board?

I didn't like him for 19, but would have definitely looked at him in the second. I hope we are scrambling to investigate this like we had him as a first round target. I don't like the lawyer's preemptive reaction to push any criminal investigative interview off til after the draft.
threadkiller

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:20 pm

threadkiller wrote:So, Conley is catching a predraft rape accusation. What round would you look at him? Or is he off your board?

I didn't like him for 19, but would have definitely looked at him in the second. I hope we are scrambling to investigate this like we had him as a first round target. I don't like the lawyer's preemptive reaction to push any criminal investigative interview off til after the draft.

The details are very sketchy at this point. No arrest or charges at this point. Reports are the accuser met Conely in an elevator where he asked her to be in a foursome. She refused BUT said she would watch instead of participating.

I know many of these prospects are just dumb athletes. But JFC!!! You're about to be drafted in the 1st round of the NFL and being guaranteed MILLIONS while pursuing something you've worked your life for. How about you avoid situations like this for a few months and not proposition random women with nothing to lose.

Unless he's cleared in the next 48 hours (very unlikely) I don't see how he goes before day 3, if at all. Teams are having their security folks finding out the truth and if they feel this is a BS allegation than I'd take a late round flier on him for sure though. It's worth the risk and a lesson learned from the La'el Collins fiasco. If he's charged than cut him immediately, if not than it's a steal.
DreadNaught

Postby threadkiller » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:29 pm

Agree with all of that. What is our security team comes back and says %90 chance it's bullshit, how high would you take him? It sounded flakey initially, but who knows? Like I said, don't like his lawyer's reaction, but that tends to be the case universally with lawyers. I would probably look at him in the 4th, if I thought there was good chance of nothing criminal.
threadkiller

Postby sonofg » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:18 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
threadkiller wrote:So, Conley is catching a predraft rape accusation. What round would you look at him? Or is he off your board?

The details are very sketchy at this point. No arrest or charges at this point. Reports are the accuser met Conely in an elevator where he asked her to be in a foursome. She refused BUT said she would watch instead of participating.

I know many of these prospects are just dumb athletes. But JFC!!! You're about to be drafted in the 1st round of the NFL and being guaranteed MILLIONS while pursuing something you've worked your life for. How about you avoid situations like this for a few months and not proposition random women with nothing to lose.

Unless he's cleared in the next 48 hours (very unlikely) I don't see how he goes before day 3, if at all. Teams are having their security folks finding out the truth and if they feel this is a BS allegation than I'd take a late round flier on him for sure though. It's worth the risk and a lesson learned from the La'el Collins fiasco. If he's charged than cut him immediately, if not than it's a steal.

I don't think it's as easy as that for a team. If he's charged and the team cuts him, they're still the team that knowingly drafted a possible rapist. I would assume that's a pretty big PR hit. Just like with Collins, if there's even a chance he did it (and they probably won't have time to be sure enough), he becomes untouchable until it's cleared up.
sonofg

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:56 pm

sonofg wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

I don't think it's as easy as that for a team. If he's charged and the team cuts him, they're still the team that knowingly drafted a possible rapist. I would assume that's a pretty big PR hit. Just like with Collins, if there's even a chance he did it (and they probably won't have time to be sure enough), he becomes untouchable until it's cleared up.

I get that, and didn't mean to imply it was easy. In fact I think it's a very complex and dynamic situation. I'm not saying draft him day 3 without any vetting in the next 48 hours. That is why teams pay there security people though. This is where they earn there money. These people are almost always former LEO w/ connections to the community. So if they can attain some information from local authorities (who they may know personally) in Cleveland (off the record of course) that this story is BS than I wouldn't be against using a 7th on a guy that should've been a top 20 pick.

I definitely agree it's a risk, but if you have good intel than the risk is minimized and the reward is potentially tremendous. I'm just saying I would be finding out everything I could before passing on him in round 7 (assuming he's there still). If we aren't satisfied with the intel we get than don't draft him.
DreadNaught

Postby Doctor » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:28 pm

Holy ****.

If it proves untrue than she just cost him millions. Wow.
I mean, while I'm not one to support a rapist, Conley could very well be the best CB in this draft. If I'm OBP I'm on the phone right now with the best PI in the that area. Also offer him a nice bonus he can earn if he correctly predicts if the charges will stick or be dropped. Guy better start digging.

I still think he gets drafted. If it was "charged" then that'd be a different story.

I honestly wouldn't even be mad if OBP spent a 3rd on him and then it turned out to be true. Like you said, you cut him, then simply say "We spoke with him, we believed him, we were deceived". Okay, good enough for me.
Doctor

Postby threadkiller » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:44 pm

Is it that bad of a risk without damning criminal evidence? Doesn't seem so to me. How long would the "drafting a rapist" tag last? Months, if that. I would argue with anyone that he should be drafted. His talent obviously dictates that, and we're Merican damn it. I don't think he's even been charged with anything, and they could do that without interviewing him. I don't think it loses us any fans to draft him in the 4th round, unless the team comes out strongly behind him. They can draft him and no comment until the criminal complaint is satisfied.
threadkiller

Postby threadkiller » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:52 pm

Doctor wrote:I honestly wouldn't even be mad if OBP spent a 3rd on him and then it turned out to be true. Like you said, you cut him, then simply say "We spoke with him, we believed him, we were deceived". Okay, good enough for me.

You aren't even cutting him. You wouldn't sign him to a contract until he was cleared. You'd have to make a decision if they charged him after the draft, but you could get out at that point. Just walk away, we didn't think he would be indicted.
threadkiller

Postby mdb1958 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:53 pm

Doctor wrote:Holy ****.

If it proves untrue than she just cost him millions. Wow.
I mean, while I'm not one to support a rapist, Conley could very well be the best CB in this draft. If I'm OBP I'm on the phone right now with the best PI in the that area. Also offer him a nice bonus he can earn if he correctly predicts if the charges will stick or be dropped. Guy better start digging.

I still think he gets drafted. If it was "charged" then that'd be a different story.

I honestly wouldn't even be mad if OBP spent a 3rd on him and then it turned out to be true. Like you said, you cut him, then simply say "We spoke with him, we believed him, we were deceived". Okay, good enough for me.

Jerry's four months ahead of you on this.
mdb1958

Postby threadkiller » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:58 pm

More like 2 rings ahead. :devil:
threadkiller

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:45 pm

Doctor wrote: If I'm OBP I'm on the phone right now with the best PI in the that area. Also offer him a nice bonus he can earn if he correctly predicts if the charges will stick or be dropped. Guy better start digging.

"Yes, this is Jim-bob the PI. I have my report here for you."

GM Doc: "Well, what does it say?"

JB: "There's a small matter of payment."

GM Doc: "Okay, FINE! Here's your check."

JB: "And here's your report. Pleasure doing business with you."

REPORT: "I'm not sure. It depends on the prosecutor. Call it 50/50."

JB: (Driving away with the check) "MUHAHAHAHAHA!"
Mountaineer Buc

Postby mdb1958 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:51 pm

Stranger named Jerry: Honeydrip I got a job for you.

Honeydrip: Anything for you baby.
mdb1958

PreviousNext

Return to College Football/Draft Talk