Bootz 2017 Mock Draft

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Bootz 2017 Mock Draft

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:33 am

And now the moment you've all been waiting for

1st Round(17th)- Image
David Njoku, TE, Miami

He's growing on me. He's very limited as a starter but he's produced in a big way in that limited time. 1 stat intrigues me. Of his 64 career catches, 11 went for at least 30 yards. That's big play potential and this is a big play offense in Tampa. He'll be a good fit in 2 TE sets, in the slot, and even outside in the red zone. He plays more like a WR than a TE but he's coming along as a block. Let's be honest though, you don't draft a TE this high because of his blocking. He also possesses great YAC ability, something we're missing around here

2nd Round(50th)- Image
Jalen "Teez" Tabor, CB, Florida

Sometimes the Combine can be a blessing. He falls because he doesn't know how to run the 40. Big deal. Dude can ball. And damn well. Arguably the best of the Florida DBs to enter the draft in the past couple of years. Has tremendous ball skills, which is key in terms of taking the ball away. Here he rejoins Florida teammate, VH3 and could slide into the starting spot opposite him when Grimes departs.

3rd Round(84th)- Image
Juju Smith-Schuster, WR, USC

Another weapon for Winston. No he's not a RB but he damn sure looks like one and plays like one. Another guy who can turn a short pass into a longer gain. He'll fit in perfectly with Evans & Jackson, taking advantage of 1 on 1s.

4th Round(125th)- Image
Rayshawn Jenkins, S, Miami

He's big. He's fast. He can cover. No he's not Sean Taylor :sunshine: but Jenkins is the type you want covering the deep part of the field. He can develop his craft for a season or 2 maybe, play ST, and fit in hopefully as the deep safety we've been looking for

5th Round (162nd)- Image
Brady Kaaya, QB, Miami

I know many will be saying "Bye, Felicia" to me for this pick, but hey. We get Winston's backup. Draft em, trade em. Maybe Kaaya becomes a trade piece 1 day. Maybe not. Maybe we need him to spell Winston for a few games. Maybe not. The tools are there and with Koetter's help he can get better. But at the least we've got a young cheap backup QB for Winston for the next 4 years.

6th Round(204th)- Image
Treyvon Hester, DT, Toledo

The gif was too funny to leave all alone. Seriously though he provides 1 thing our DT position does not have: Youth. And a lot of upside. He's a bit unpolished but he has size and is athletic. He can move for a guy his size.

7th Round(237th)- Image
Greg Pyke, OG, Georgia

Depth along the Oline. He's another guy we can cross-train at C.

Thoughts?
Bootz2004

Re: Bootz 2017 Mock Draft

Postby Nano » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:43 am

This is probably my favorite mock draft on this board. Needs, depth, realistic, pictures. What more can be said?

Even if you did steal it from Bootz2017
Nano

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:46 am

So I guess we aren't taking advantage of an historic class of running backs, and electing to have a combo of Rodgers and Sims?

For me, addressing the run game is priority one in this draft.
real bucs fan

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:56 am

real bucs fan wrote:So I guess we aren't taking advantage of an historic class of running backs, and electing to have a combo of Rodgers and Sims?

Kiddo priority #1 is making this a better football team. Now where would you have addressed this "historic" class of RBs in this scenario? And what makes this RB class so historic?
Bootz2004

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:03 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:So I guess we aren't taking advantage of an historic class of running backs, and electing to have a combo of Rodgers and Sims?

Kiddo priority #1 is making this a better football team. Now where would you have addressed this "historic" class of RBs in this scenario? And what makes this RB class so historic?

Entering this season with the same oline and running backs for what was a putrid run game last year, doesn't make this team better where it needs it most. And running the ball is a big part of the game kiddo.

Numerous prognosticators have called this an "historic class". It is both loaded with talent at the top of the draft, and deep throughout. We could probably address the position in rounds 1, 2, 3, or 4, and likely get an upgrade on both Rodgers and Sims.
real bucs fan

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:05 am

real bucs fan wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

Entering this season with the same oline and running backs for what was a putrid run game last year, doesn't make this team better where it needs it most. And running the ball is a big part of the game kiddo.

Numerous prognosticators have called this an "historic class". We could probably address the position in rounds 1, 2, 3, or 4, and likely get an upgrade on both Rodgers and Sims.

Yea because players don't get better. I forgot. Sorry.

And I'm asking you specifically, where would you make a change? I thought Doug Martin would've been gone by now. But he's not. So that tells me that we plan to keep him. That could change in the draft. It might not. Who knows. We'll see. But I know Licht won't force the issue like you would. Now where would you make a change?
Bootz2004

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:06 am

Another really good mock submitted..

Overall assessment is that we got good value in the first 3 rounds with players that should be key contributors by year 2 while addressing depth in the later rounds. If the idea was to add weapons for Winston this offseason this draft reflects that. My critique would be that we didn't upgrade the talent at Safety or Center which imho are two positions I really wanted to get better at this offseason and it seems we are only able to keep the status quo. But building a team is a process and this draft would certainly be a positive step.

David Njoku is high upside prospect for sure. He and Brate (along w/ Evans & Djax) would provide the passing offense with the most talent and play-making ability we've ever had here. Only concern that neither he or Brate do much as inline blockers where they will have to block opposing DEs in the run game. But I'll take the play-making ability all day.

Tabor would be amazing value. He's a ballhawk who posses great ability to flip his hips and get his hands on opposing passes. His 40 time/top end speed is concern and the reason I think he falls out of the 1st round, but his instincts more than make up for it. Taking advantage of this deep and talented CB class is wise move so we have Grimes eventual replacement on the roster with a yr of experience come 2018.

JuJu is another guy that plays football better than he tests in a combine environment. Not an explosive WR, but should be a good RAC guy as Bootz mentioned and with his size he call play special teams for sure yearly on.

I like getting a day 3 developmental QB to groom. Kaaya fits profile of that type of QB.

I don't have enough knowledge to offer much on the others, but will did into the Miami Safety a bit. Mid round Safeties are the group I want to look at as a whole since I feel strongly we are going to draft that position at some point this April.
DreadNaught

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:11 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:

Numerous prognosticators have called this an "historic class". We could probably address the position in rounds 1, 2, 3, or 4, and likely get an upgrade on both Rodgers and Sims.

And I'm asking you specifically, where would you make a change? I thought Doug Martin would've been gone by now. But he's not. So that tells me that we plan to keep him. That could change in the draft. It might not. Who knows. We'll see. But I know Licht won't force the issue like you would. Now where would you make a change?

To be clear, I don't mind any of the picks in a vacuum, JuJu in the 3rd is my favourite though that aint happening in real life, am just pointing out it would better serve this team, this offence, and Jameis Winston, to upgrade at RB. We could do that in Rounds 1, 2, 3, and maybe even round 4.

But if you want me to be specific, I would much rather D'Onta Foreman in round 2 than Tabor (who like JuJu is not realistically available at that pick anyway).
real bucs fan

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:14 am

Thanks Dread. I really hoped to address Oline earlier. But as I looked at the board, specifically in the mid rounds, the value was just too great there with Tabor, JuJu and even Jenkins, who I think can become a good deep safety for us. It is a process and there are pros and cons that have to be taken into account. The center class is not very deep and would've required me to force a pick.
Bootz2004

Postby Teitan » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:15 am

I like it, Bootz. Just not sure I see Tabor and Juju being there in 2/3
Teitan

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:15 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:

I see both sides here so it's a good debate imo. Our running game was POOR last season, I think we can all agree on that. The expectation is that young OL like D. Smith-Pamphile-Marpet will all continue to improve and the hopeful addition of Sweezy helps as well. But that expectation doesn't change the fact that we are bring back ALL the same players on the Oline and RB that produced a very poor rushing attack in 2016.

Martin is out the first 3 games and if he's not the 'good' version of himself or gets injured again we are left w/ Sims and Rodgers and in the same position as last season where we didn't improve arguably the weakest part of the team (rushing attack). In a perfect world the Oline improves and Martin is the rookie/2015 version, but it's fair to not want to put all your eggs in that basket and ugrade the talent somewhere on the Oline and/or RB.
DreadNaught

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:16 am

real bucs fan wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

To be clear, I don't mind any of the picks in a vacuum, JuJu in the 3rd is my favourite though that aint happening in real life, am just pointing out it would better serve this team, this offence, and Jameis Winston, to upgrade at RB. We could do that in Rounds 1, 2, 3, and maybe even round 4.

But if you want me to be specific, I would much rather D'Onta Foreman in round 2 than Tabor (who like JuJu is not realistically available at that pick anyway).

Foreman over Tabor?? You'd rather take a RB over a CB who should be a top 20 pick but will fall due to running a 4.63. That's all I needed to hear.
Bootz2004

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:19 am

Bootz2004 wrote:Thanks Dread. I really hoped to address Oline earlier. But as I looked at the board, specifically in the mid rounds, the value was just too great there with Tabor, JuJu and even Jenkins, who I think can become a good deep safety for us. It is a process and there are pros and cons that have to be taken into account. The center class is not very deep and would've required me to force a pick.

It's good value with what you have and both sides of ball improved. There only 7 picks and tbh only the top 3-4 can be really viewed to upgrade talent among current starters so you can never address everything people want.
DreadNaught

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:22 am

DreadNaught wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

I see both sides here so it's a good debate imo. Our running game was POOR last season, I think we can all agree on that. The expectation is that young OL like D. Smith-Pamphile-Marpet will all continue to improve and the hopeful addition of Sweezy helps as well. But that expectation doesn't change the fact that we are bring back ALL the same players on the Oline and RB that produced a very poor rushing attack in 2016.

Martin is out the first 3 games and if he's not the 'good' version of himself or gets injured again we are left w/ Sims and Rodgers and in the same position as last season where we didn't improve arguably the weakest part of the team (rushing attack). In a perfect world the Oline improves and Martin is the rookie/2015 version, but it's fair to not want to put all your eggs in that basket and ugrade the talent somewhere on the Oline and/or RB.

It's a very good debate. I saw strides taken by D. Smith so that's encouraging to me. And keep in mind we had a pisspoor rushing attack and won 9 games. We have a QB going into his 3rd season and have added a speedster who should help keep safeties out of the box, which in turn should help the run game a bit. I think the combination of our QB improving into his 3rd year, Desean Jackson, the continued improvement of D. Smith & Ali Marpet, and if we go this route a refocused Doug Martin will help our offense in 2017. Continuity is an underrated aspect of Oline play. If all else fails, we lean more on the defense and passing attack and refocus our efforts in the 2018 offseason. But in this draft specifically I didn't see many overnight fixtures.
Bootz2004

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:23 am

Bootz2004 wrote:Thanks Dread. I really hoped to address Oline earlier. But as I looked at the board, specifically in the mid rounds, the value was just too great there with Tabor, JuJu and even Jenkins, who I think can become a good deep safety for us. It is a process and there are pros and cons that have to be taken into account. The center class is not very deep and would've required me to force a pick.

What big board were you using to asses that value? I haven't seen many that would have Tabor and JuJu available at those picks.
real bucs fan

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:26 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:

Foreman over Tabor?? You'd rather take a RB over a CB who should be a top 20 pick but will fall due to running a 4.63. That's all I needed to hear.

Where did I knock Tabor? In fact he was selection for the Cowboys in the first round of our board draft. It's simply an unrealistic selection.

He could fall out of the first perhaps, but the idea of him falling to 50? Especially with Jones getting hurt? He's easily a top 5 CB in this draft, arguably top 3.
real bucs fan

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:26 am

real bucs fan wrote:

What big board were you using to asses that value? I haven't seen many that would have Tabor and JuJu available at those picks.

My own kiddo. Taking everything into account(rankings, mocks, analysis, combine, etc) I'm able to come up with my own board and predictions. And why not? The http://www.___________________.com draft boards you look at are never right come draft day. Neither are the Kipers and Mayocks and McShays. Create your own thoughts. Mine will be wrong too, trust me.
Bootz2004

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:32 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:

My own kiddo. Taking everything into account(rankings, mocks, analysis, combine, etc) I'm able to come up with my own board and predictions. And why not? The http://www.___________________.com draft boards you look at are never right come draft day. Neither are the Kipers and Mayocks and McShays. Create your own thoughts. Mine will be wrong too, trust me.

So you used your own board and selected guys who are unrealistic. Gotcha.
real bucs fan

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:34 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

It's a very good debate. I saw strides taken by D. Smith so that's encouraging to me. And keep in mind we had a pisspoor rushing attack and won 9 games. We have a QB going into his 3rd season and have added a speedster who should help keep safeties out of the box, which in turn should help the run game a bit. I think the combination of our QB improving into his 3rd year, Desean Jackson, the continued improvement of D. Smith & Ali Marpet, and if we go this route a refocused Doug Martin will help our offense in 2017. Continuity is an underrated aspect of Oline play. If all else fails, we lean more on the defense and passing attack and refocus our efforts in the 2018 offseason. But in this draft specifically I didn't see many overnight fixtures.

The optimist in me believes Martin will be back and playing will in a 'make or break year' for him. I totally agree that the Oline underachieved last season, especially early. I've been a big supporter of Donovan Smith since we drafted him here and with experience comes consistency for young players. Smith has certainly demonstrated he can be a good LT, he just needs to be more consistent and eliminate the bad plays, which he did as the season progressed last year. The only real concern I have is at the Center position where I don't think Hawley or Evan Smith are starter caliber players. I like the talent elsewhere along the OL, which leads to my bias advocating for one of our 3 guards to kick inside to Center.
DreadNaught

Postby Phantom Phenom » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:34 am

good mock bootz
Phantom Phenom

Postby Konatown » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:55 am

Love it, but I think Tabor and Smith-Schuster will be gone by those picks. Would be elated if they were there. What's nice is all these picks wouldn't have to be thrown into a starters role, let them grow and earn their reps.

I'm really liking the idea of a TE in the first. Howard more than likely won't be there, but Njoku is a physical specimen that would give us a real nice weapon for Winston.

Would be awesome if it played out this way.
Konatown

Postby pewterpirates » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:55 am

Just asking. Is it really a good mock if everyone says "good mock but so-and-so and so-and-so won't be there realistically"?
pewterpirates

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:01 pm

This time last year no one thought Noah Spence would make it out of the 1st....just saying.
Bootz2004

Postby Super K » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:04 pm

My thoughts:

1. Meh...**** Miami

2. Meh..

3. Meh..

4. Blech..**** Miami

5. OK..**** Miami

6 and 7 are always wildcards..

Overall assessment: A+ (based on presentation)

;)
Super K

Postby Nano » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:05 pm

Tbh, I don't think this mock is that unrealistic. Tabor is probably falling out of the 1st after the horrible combine, and many other mocks have JuJu in the 3rd as well. Both have seen their stocks flop since the season ended.
Nano

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:11 pm

pewterpirates wrote:Just asking. Is it really a good mock if everyone says "good mock but so-and-so and so-and-so won't be there realistically"?

Good could mean alot of different things.

Also I've seen Tabor in the 2nd and JuJu in the 3rd in a few recent mocks, hell I saw Tabor in the 3rd in one. While I agree that probably the floor for both where Bootz has them it's not unrealistic imo, there are always surprises where players all the draftniks will go round 2 ends up a day 3 picks, and vice versa. Just look the community 3 round mock we did here last season as an example of this. Many of our collective opinions are based on shared rankings we see on the internet to gauge a players draft position. But none of them, or us are in NFL draft rooms so it's all projection.

I think both Tabor and JuJu are will drafted within 10 spots of where Bootz has them.
DreadNaught

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:13 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:This time last year no one thought Noah Spence would make it out of the 1st....just saying.

Exactly right.. Happens every year to multiple prospects rising and falling. Noah Spence falling out of rd1 was way more "unrealistic" than Tabor in rd 2 or JuJu in rd 3.
DreadNaught

Postby terrytate » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:07 pm

Not bad, funny that it's skewed so heavily towards the U though.

One question though, do you assume Howard is off the board or do you think Njoku is just the better pick?
terrytate

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:13 pm

I feel like everything has to go the worst way possible for Njoku to be the BPA at 19. I think an argument can be made that he's not in the top 20 of the best non-QB players in this draft, but that's all subjective.

I don't hate him, he's probably the 2nd best "TE" in the draft, but as you already stated, he's basically at large WR at this point.

If we did draft Njoku, do you really think we would draft another WR as early as the third round? JuJu would be ridiculous value at that point, I just don't think we would basically add 2 other WRs in the first 3 rounds after signing Desean. 2 TE sets is more dangerous when there is a threat to run from it. I think Brate and Njoku would diminish the effectiveness of that package.
uscbucsfan

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:35 pm

terrytate wrote:Not bad, funny that it's skewed so heavily towards the U though.

One question though, do you assume Howard is off the board or do you think Njoku is just the better pick?

I think Howard will be gone. Too many things pointing up for him. Cincinnati, Baltimore, Tennessee, New Orleans. I don't think he gets past all 4 of those teams. That said, Njoku impresses me more. And I think he fits better with what we do and what we need than Howard does.

I didn't mean for it to scew so much for the U...But I ain't mad at it lol.
Bootz2004

Next

Return to College Football/Draft Talk