real mock draft, post combine edition

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
real mock draft, post combine edition

Postby real bucs fan » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:46 pm

Made an attempt to land a guy I liked at every level outside of QB. As always, my goal is to identify players who can fill needs while representing value in their draft slot. Some of these names I've mocked before, but it's because I really like those players to fill those needs at those spots.

1. Dalvin Cook, RB
-Cook falling no longer seems far fetched, in fact he’s a popular choice for the Bucs in mocks at this point. While he underwhelmed at the combine to an extent, upon closer look his numbers were not far off Ezekiel Elliots, and I think he can make a Zeke like impact as a rookie in the NFL with his all around ability as a runner and on third downs.
2. Ethan Pocic, C
-Once thought of as a potential first rounders, Pocic seems to have fallen in the post-season process as critics over analyze him. But at the end of the day, Pocic can come in and be an above average centre for us starting Week 1.
3. Chris Godwin, WR
-Godwin has good size and strength, great ball skills, and the athleticism to make plays after the catch. He has proven to be a clutch performer and has the versatile skillset to fill in for any of Evans, Jackson, or Hump if they were to get injured and can be groomed to eventually replace Jackson as a field stretching #2.
4. Jeremy Sprinkle, TE
Sprinkle is a big bodied TE who does damage as a run blocker, but has also shown the hands and skills to make plays as a receiver. He showed surprising speed at the combine as well, and can be an upgrade over Luke Stocker as the #2 TE.
5. Trey Hendrickson, DE
-Good size for a 4-3 DE, and a very good athlete, Hendrickson already is a special teams standout but also has the talent to develop into a potential replacement for Jaq Smith as a hustle sack guy coming from the LE spot when Gholston comes off.
6. David Jones, S
-Injury prone late blooming 5th year senior from small school, but has monster upside. Great size, length, and athleticism, has major return skills and centre fielder ability who can fill in the box as well. Great tackler. With Ryan Smith moving to CB, getting a safety with upside to compete for a starting job eventually would be wise.
7. Connor Harris, LB
-Noone will outwork or be a better teammate than Harris, but he actually has NFL talent. Good athlete with a nose for the football, I believe he led the nation in tackles. Not a guy who can do much on passing downs, but a guy who should excel as a 2 down run stopper at SLB, provide versatile insurance as a backup MLB, and be a standout on Special Teams.
real bucs fan

Re: real mock draft, post combine edition

Postby Doctor » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:49 am

I'm on board with this.
Doctor

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:03 am

I like it, most of all the positions addressed other than waiting til the 6th for a Safety, but you can't do it all.

I'll have to look into Goodwin, don't know much about him other than an article or two and some highlights.

I love Cook, I think people devaluing him based on his combine need to go back and watch him play vs FSU's toughest opponents. Cook has elite balance and patience as a RB and reminds be of Leveon Bell in how he finds the creases to run through. He may not be a 'move the pile' type of RB, but he is physical when he needs to be in short yardage and around the GL, there is plenty of tape of him dropping his shoulder and running through a LB or DB when that extra yard was required. Tbh, I think Jimbo told him to protect himself out there since he WAS the FSU offense last season. Injuries and fumble are my only concern w/ Cook.

I like Pocic also, but I'm not sure if he's the athletic type of interior Olinemen Licht/Koetter seem to covet. He played in a power run game at LSU and will also have a man blocking scheme here, we ask our interior Oline to get on the edge alot and block at the 2nd level. I want to dig into Pocic more to see him do this. But I won't knock him if he wasn't asked in college.
DreadNaught

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:28 am

In regards to Pocic, his athleticism is one of his best assets. I think it is simply a case of him not being asked to do those things as LSU built there O around the power running skills of Fournette.

Definitely recommend checking out Godwin, I was aware of him as a mid round guy, but revisited him after the DeSean signing which lessened the need at WR, and his excellent combine. Very impressive.
real bucs fan

Postby BucaRican » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:08 am

Fantastic! About time someone gave us a real Mock draft!

I like all of your picks now lets get it done!
BucaRican

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:28 am

Godwin measured better in athletic testing than I would have thought from the highlights (something about that Penn State uniform that makes players look slow :P )

Godwin, Zay Jones, Josh Reynolds are 3 of my favorites in the mid rounds that could develop into a #2 across from Evans in 2-3 years.

Taywan Taylor and Carlos Henderson are another two I like alot that could have value in the return game but probably don't have the upside to be more than a slot WR.
DreadNaught

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:35 am

DreadNaught wrote:Godwin measured better in athletic testing than I would have thought from the highlights (something about that Penn State uniform that makes players look slow :P )

Godwin, Zay Jones, Josh Reynolds are 3 of my favorites in the mid rounds that could develop into a #2 across from Evans in 2-3 years.

Taywan Taylor and Carlos Henderson are another two I like alot that could have value in the return game but probably don't have the upside to be more than a slot WR.

I was with you until the last paragraph. Those two look like JAGs to me.

Agreed on Godwin, Jones, and Reynolds. I'd be delighted with any of those three.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:45 am

DreadNaught wrote:Godwin measured better in athletic testing than I would have thought from the highlights (something about that Penn State uniform that makes players look slow :P )

Zay Jones I really like, but I think he doesn't even make it to our 2nd, let alone 3rd I think he'll be the 4th or 5th WR off the board. Reynolds is definitely in that Godwin tier and could be a real option in the 3rd or 4th.

Isaiah Ford is another guy I really like, I know he shat the bed at the combine, but I think he ends up being a Day 3 steal for someone. Reminds me alot of Antonio Bryant (though obviously am not saying that is who he will become).

Another really intriguing name is Evan Engram. Is he a TE? a WR? I'm not sure, but after Fournette, Cook, Howard, Davis, Ross, and Williams, he's my top skill guy in this draft. He's a real darkhorse at 19 if those other guys are gone.
real bucs fan

Postby GameTime » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:58 am

Would love that draft. Gotta wonder besides pocic if any of those guys will really be available.
GameTime

Postby MJW » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:44 am

In shocking news, not a fan of the Cook pick. But the rest is solid and realistic IMHO.
MJW

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:49 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:

I was with you until the last paragraph. Those two look like JAGs to me.

For clarification, I don't put Taylor or Henderson in the same tier/class as the aforementioned WRs. I think they could have some value as return guys and maybe develop into a solid option as slot WR ala Taylor Gabriel.
DreadNaught

Postby mdb1958 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:59 am

Depending on who he goes to Taylor could be very good.
mdb1958

Postby real bucs fan » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:53 pm

Was just looking through the WalterFootball list of player interviews by team, and was interesting to note that we've met with Chris Godwin 3 times... seems like we are hot for him.

Historically it's a pretty good indicator. I remember Donovan Smith was the guy we interviewed the most 2 years ago, and we took him in the 2nd round. Similar fate for Godwin?
real bucs fan

Postby Konatown » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:16 pm

Nice mock and like the positions addressed. Sprinkle is my dark horse TE, just don't let him near a Belk.
Konatown

Postby Naismith » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:19 pm

real bucs fan wrote:Was just looking through the WalterFootball list of player interviews by team, and was interesting to note that we've met with Chris Godwin 3 times... seems like we are hot for him.

Historically it's a pretty good indicator. I remember Donovan Smith was the guy we interviewed the most 2 years ago, and we took him in the 2nd round. Similar fate for Godwin?

Saw this tweet earlier about Godwin.

https://twitter.com/joshnorris/status/8 ... 0553257984

Which WR is best at contested catches in last two drafts?

@MattHarmon_BYB's charting says it is Chris Godwin 85.7% http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/6 ... mon-on-wrs
Naismith

Postby Super K » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:20 pm

I'd be good with Godwin..Guy has wheels (4.42 40) AND he goes up and fights for the ball..
Super K

Postby Four Verticals » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:48 pm

Godwin may not make it to the Bucs 2nd round spot never mind 3rd round.
Four Verticals

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:10 pm

Four Verticals wrote:Godwin may not make it to the Bucs 2nd round spot never mind 3rd round.

Yea I don't see how people put these prospects on such high pedestals only to say "we should draft them with our 3rd or 4th round pick". If they're THAT great they likely will be noticed by a lot of others.
Bootz2004

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:20 am

Four Verticals wrote:Godwin may not make it to the Bucs 2nd round spot never mind 3rd round.

He's a day 2 guy. I'm sure most here hadn't even heard of him until the combine.

On my personal WR big board, he's 8th. If he's not there, another WR likely will be.
real bucs fan

Postby Konatown » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:34 am

To be honest, I've never even heard of Godwin until this mock. Then as I'm reading his draft profile I remember watching the Rose Bowl and some penn state WR going off. 6'1, 210 and ran a 4.42. Seems to make tough contested catches and has good vision/balance after the catch.

Really can't believe all the good WR prospects this year. You could easily make a case for a dozen of them to be starters in the NFL.
Konatown

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:40 am

Konatown wrote:To be honest, I've never even heard of Godwin until this mock. Then as I'm reading his draft profile I remember watching the Rose Bowl and some penn state WR going off. 6'1, 210 and ran a 4.42. Seems to make tough contested catches and has good vision/balance after the catch.

Really can't believe all the good WR prospects this year. You could easily make a case for a dozen of them to be starters in the NFL.

Ya I think you have the 3 first round guys in Davis, Williams, and Ross, then you have the early 2nd guys in Samuel, JuJu, and Zay Jones, and then you have a grouping that consists of Godwin and about 6 others that could go in almost any order. There is even a good group of Day 3 guys too. Very underrated WR class IMO.
real bucs fan

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:40 am

real bucs fan wrote:
Konatown wrote:To be honest, I've never even heard of Godwin until this mock. Then as I'm reading his draft profile I remember watching the Rose Bowl and some penn state WR going off. 6'1, 210 and ran a 4.42. Seems to make tough contested catches and has good vision/balance after the catch.

Ya I think you have the 3 first round guys in Davis, Williams, and Ross, then you have the early 2nd guys in Samuel, JuJu, and Zay Jones, and then you have a grouping that consists of Godwin and about 6 others that could go in almost any order. There is even a good group of Day 3 guys too. Very underrated WR class IMO.

I wouldn't be surprised if Godwin goes before Samuel or JuJu.

Godwin and Zay Jones are two favorites after the top 3 you mentioned.

I agree it's another deep WR class. Just not any can't miss top 15 prospects like Watkins-Evans-OBJ-Amari. Depth is certainly there though.
DreadNaught

Postby Naismith » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:51 am

This is a fantasy football question but still relevant to the top tier WR talent in this draft.

Of course, it's providing no commentary on the quality of the depth of the WRs available, just saying that only a few have that high production ceiling that people are looking for for fantasy purposes.
Naismith

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:08 pm

Naismith wrote:This is a fantasy football question but still relevant to the top tier WR talent in this draft.

Of course, it's providing no commentary on the quality of the depth of the WRs available, just saying that only a few have that high production ceiling that people are looking for for fantasy purposes.

A WR1 in fantasy football means a top 10 WR, no? If so, then 3-4 top 10 WRs in this class would be massive. I don't even think that. I think Davis, Williams, and Ross can all be top 20 type guys in their prime though, and legit #1 options in real life NFL terms. The depth of the draft though is on day 2 where there are nearly a dozen guys I think can be impactful top 3 WRs for teams.
real bucs fan

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:15 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if Godwin goes before Samuel or JuJu.

Godwin and Zay Jones are two favorites after the top 3 you mentioned.

I agree it's another deep WR class. Just not any can't miss top 15 prospects like Watkins-Evans-OBJ-Amari. Depth is certainly there though.

Samuel I think is a bit scheme dependant, so he could slip if the right team doesn't fall in love with him, but the guy is going to be a big time weapon- dude is electric.

JuJu answered his speed critics at the combine IMO. I think some were thinking he might be a 4.7 guy like his comp Anquan Boldin, but a 4.54 was quite impressive given his skillset. He and Zay Jones are neck and neck for me as the #4 and #5 guys for the Bucs.
real bucs fan

Return to College Football/Draft Talk