Who's your guy?

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Re: Who's your guy?

Postby Swashy » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:22 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Swashy wrote:Jabrill Peppers if we can get him.

He'll be there at 19

I hope so because with the additions of DeSean Jackson and Chris Baker in free agency, the safety position is perhaps the last of the puzzle for this Bucs team. If we can snag Peppers at 19 it'll leave the board open to draft BPA the rest of the way without any real consequences of "We should have gotten a (position here) because..." we'll just be able to take anyone we want regardless of position.
Swashy

Postby mdb1958 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:26 pm

mdb1958 wrote:Awuzie or Witherspoon?

K King or D King?

Reddick or Peppers?
mdb1958

Postby Nano » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:44 pm

Cory Butler-Byrd If he's there
Nano

Postby Super K » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:57 pm

Swashy wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:
He'll be there at 19

I hope so because with the additions of DeSean Jackson and Chris Baker in free agency, the safety position is perhaps the last of the puzzle for this Bucs team. If we can snag Peppers at 19 it'll leave the board open to draft BPA the rest of the way without any real consequences of "We should have gotten a (position here) because..." we'll just be able to take anyone we want regardless of position.

Honestly, I like Baker more than Peppers for us at safety..

Only problem is 19 is too early to take him and he won't be around for us in the 2nd..

At 19 I want either Howard or Ross..

Each takes our offense to the next level imo..

And with each I have a later round "want" to address the other position..

Howard/KD Cannon later

Ross/Roberts later..
Super K

Postby Teitan » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:50 pm

Swashy wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:
He'll be there at 19

I would rather jump up into the early second to get Budda Baker. I wish he was there at our second pick but I have a feeling he won't be. You never know though..
Teitan

Postby Swashy » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:13 pm

Yeah Baker is a hell of a prospect. I'd be happy to have him but you guys are right about the uncertainty of him still being there for our 2nd rounder. I advocate the most for Peppers because if he's there (and there's a realistic chance that he will be) then we can address the safety position right then and there. But it's not like he's the only choice.

The only thing I want from the Bucs is to get THEIR guy. No settling for some other prospect at the same position. If you weren't that high on him then pass on him and take a player you do want at another position. If you're sold on a player then just get him. Trading up for Martin and David were perhaps the best moves Dom ever made and that's the kind of aggression I want to see out of Licht. It's not a very good analogy but I think of the draft like that first kiss with your date you really like. Don't think about it. Just do it. If you want a player just pull the trigger. We're talking about breaking a near 10 year playoff drought. Don't be gun shy. But if your guy is there then just take him. Simple as that. Select with confidence and put faith in your coaching staff to develop that player.

I'd like to see the Bucs go with the BPA at: S, WR, OL and CB this year. I have no strong player preferences one way or the next but I think acquiring more depth at those positions will be essential to our future success.

For the first time in a long time I'm really excited about what this team can do. A good draft here and we could realistically win the division.
Swashy

Postby mdb1958 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:29 pm

Get their guy

or Get their guys?
mdb1958

Postby DreadNaught » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:58 pm

Budda Baker is 3rd favorite Safety behind the obvious guys in Hooker and Adams.

Baker is not a thumper, but he made alot TFLs in college. He's quick in the passing game ala Earl Thomas, but not quite that physical.

My concern is his height on down field 50/50 balls. Our division has some big targets
DreadNaught

Postby Super K » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:30 pm

NFL.com has:

Baker 5'10 vert 32.5

Peppers 5'11 vert 35.5

Adams 6'0 vert 31.5

I'm going to assume these numbers came from the combine measurements..

I think it's splitting hairs referencing Baker's size..

Kelvin Benjamin will monster over all 3 of these guys..1-2 inches isn't gonna matter..

Edit: I added there verts.. Baker gains an inch on Adams here..Peppers has some hops!!
Super K

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:18 pm

Super K wrote:NFL.com has:

Baker 5'10 vert 32.5

Peppers 5'11 vert 35.5

Adams 6'0 vert 31.5

Kelvin Benjamin will monster over all 3 of these guys..1-2 inches isn't gonna matter..

Edit: I added there verts.. Baker gains an inch on Adams here..Peppers has some hops!!

He's got the ups, but he doesn't become a receiver very much.

If I recall correctly, he didn't produce a lot of interceptions. But he is a freakish athlete.

Still, I would trade back for Baker because he's more of a sure thing IMO. Then again, I have seen him mocked in the first on NFLN. So maybe he isn't a reach at 19.

But I think any guy who is going to be gone by the time you pick again is not a reach.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Teitan » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:31 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:

Baker 5'10 vert 32.5

Peppers 5'11 vert 35.5

Adams 6'0 vert 31.5

If I recall correctly, he didn't produce a lot of interceptions. But he is a freakish athlete.

Still, I would trade back for Baker because he's more of a sure thing IMO. Then again, I have seen him mocked in the first on NFLN. So maybe he isn't a reach at 19.

But I think any guy who is going to be gone by the time you pick again is not a reach.

That's why I'm loving the way this draft is shaping up. I'd have no problem with Baker at 19. We are in such a good position to get a good player no matter what.
Teitan

Postby threadkiller » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:23 pm

Howard would be great if there at 19. He's the one guy I think might be there that I wouldn't likely trade the pick if he were available. If Howard is gone and I can't move down, I'd take Cam Robinson.
threadkiller

Postby Doctor » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:16 am

mdb1958 wrote:I'm very tempted to say Engram will have a better career than Howard. Feel free to save and sticky.

Could be. Maybe Hodges or Butt ends up being the best TE in this group. TE is one of the hardest positions to evaluate college to NFL transition and far more luck than any other position, imo.

I'd love to see that stats by positions of drafted players who get a second contract to be a starter. I'd be willing to bet TE is near the bottom. Especially first rounders.
Doctor

Postby threadkiller » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:05 pm

Teitan wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:He's got the ups, but he doesn't become a receiver very much.

That's why I'm loving the way this draft is shaping up. I'd have no problem with Baker at 19. We are in such a good position to get a good player no matter what.

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/budda-b ... bama-2016/

That is not a 1st round FS to me. I will watch more games, that's the first I grabbed and very unimpressed for 19.

* http://draftbreakdown.com/video/budda-b ... ford-2016/ -Still not seeing first round safety. Good range, good motor, decent tackler, not seeing playmaking yet or vision. Not seeing deep middle FS. Decent in box shooting gaps, but not impactful physically or good feel blitzing. Looks small downfield getting beat 1 on 1 for the TD in a blowout. His D dominated Stanford O, but he was quiet imo.
threadkiller

Postby mdb1958 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:19 pm

Doctor wrote:
mdb1958 wrote:I'm very tempted to say Engram will have a better career than Howard. Feel free to save and sticky.

Could be. Maybe Hodges or Butt ends up being the best TE in this group. TE is one of the hardest positions to evaluate college to NFL transition and far more luck than any other position, imo.

I'd love to see that stats by positions of drafted players who get a second contract to be a starter. I'd be willing to bet TE is near the bottom. Especially first rounders.

Whoever has the quarterback tossing them the most passes will be thought of as pretty successful. Of course how many TD's and yards per catch are there too.

It is how Brate ever even got talked about.
mdb1958

Postby beardmcdoug » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:08 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:

Baker 5'10 vert 32.5

Peppers 5'11 vert 35.5

Adams 6'0 vert 31.5

I'd draft Howard/Ross whoever is there at #19, then trade back up to like #28 and just take Baker. Then we're done. Absolutely set. The team is good to go. Take a couple O-line fliers with 5-7 and prepare for week 1
beardmcdoug

Postby threadkiller » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:34 am

What do you like about Baker that you would consider trading our 2nd and 3rd (not sure that would get us back to 28) round picks for him? Any of the Baker fans, can you point me to a game or two that show him at the top of his game?
threadkiller

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:46 am

I'd be fine with Baker at 19 tbh. That may be more of his ceiling in terms of draft value but if he's our guy than I'd rather get him 10 picks too early than not at all.

There are not many prospects I'd be opposed to right now though, so take it fwiw..
DreadNaught

Postby MJW » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:55 am

DreadNaught wrote:I'd be fine with Baker at 19 tbh. That may be more of his ceiling in terms of draft value but if he's our guy than I'd rather get him 10 picks too early than not at all.

There are not many prospects I'd be opposed to right now though, so take it fwiw..

I have to believe there are going to be prospects we'd have rated higher, though.

Although Jason Licht strikes me as a laser-lock GM. Meaning, he likes a guy, he locks in on a guy, he drafts the guy. I doubt we even seriously considered Laremy Tunsil when he fell last year, or Vonn Bell as the guy to trade up for when he was still available 20 picks after everyone thought he'd go. I think Licht locks-on. If he locks in on Baker (or anyone else), it might not matter what else is going on.
MJW

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:59 am

MJW wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:I'd be fine with Baker at 19 tbh. That may be more of his ceiling in terms of draft value but if he's our guy than I'd rather get him 10 picks too early than not at all.

I have to believe there are going to be prospects we'd have rated higher, though.

Although Jason Licht strikes me as a laser-lock GM. Meaning, he likes a guy, he locks in on a guy, he drafts the guy. I doubt we even seriously considered Laremy Tunsil when he fell last year, or Vonn Bell as the guy to trade up for when he was still available 20 picks after everyone thought he'd go. I think Licht locks-on. If he locks in on Baker (or anyone else), it might not matter what else is going on.

I agree. But I don't think he's necessarily a "laser lock" guy on Day 1 of the draft. Days 2 & 3 absolutely. Marpet, Sims, Alexander, Aguayo, Bell. All of those picks seem to be ones he locked in on.
Bootz2004

Postby Caradoc » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:40 am

CMac. Brings more to the table than any other single player there. I hate the "jack of all trades master on none" crap. He's master of multiple. He's as good in the slot as a lot of early/mid round WRs, and even out wide. I don't buy the "he can't be a RB1" stuff either. He can run between the tackles well enough to be in the top 3 or 4 as a pure runner in this loaded RB draft. Guy is reportedly a Jameis-level competitor and teammate. You can see he isn't overly reliant on athleticism (which he has in spades), he shows great patience and vision, as well as attention to detail. You get a matchup nightmare, with top shelf leadership and competitiveness, and also resolve a big need in the best way. Win win win.
Caradoc

Postby PrimeMinister » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:48 am

Caradoc wrote:CMac. Brings more to the table than any other single player there. I hate the "jack of all trades master on none" crap. He's master of multiple. He's as good in the slot as a lot of early/mid round WRs, and even out wide. I don't buy the "he can't be a RB1" stuff either. He can run between the tackles well enough to be in the top 3 or 4 as a pure runner in this loaded RB draft. Guy is reportedly a Jameis-level competitor and teammate. You can see he isn't overly reliant on athleticism (which he has in spades), he shows great patience and vision, as well as attention to detail. You get a matchup nightmare, with top shelf leadership and competitiveness, and also resolve a big need in the best way. Win win win.

OJ Howard would help as much or more than a RB. He can block, allows for true 2 TE to run/pass out of and offers legitimate run blocking in place of Brate. Howard makes this offense top 10 the day he walks on the field.
Last edited by PrimeMinister on Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
PrimeMinister

Postby mdb1958 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:00 am

PrimeMinister wrote:
Caradoc wrote:CMac. Brings more to the table than any other single player there. I hate the "jack of all trades master on none" crap. He's master of multiple. He's as good in the slot as a lot of early/mid round WRs, and even out wide. I don't buy the "he can't be a RB1" stuff either. He can run between the tackles well enough to be in the top 3 or 4 as a pure runner in this loaded RB draft. Guy is reportedly a Jameis-level competitor and teammate. You can see he isn't overly reliant on athleticism (which he has in spades), he shows great patience and vision, as well as attention to detail. You get a matchup nightmare, with top shelf leadership and competitiveness, and also resolve a big need in the best way. Win win win.

OJ Howard would help as much or more than a RB. He can block, allows for true 2 TE to run/pass out of and offers legitimate run blocking in place of Brate. Howard makes this offense top 10 the day he walks on the field.

Except your dreaming about picking someone who wont be available.
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:03 am

And I'll say it again. The greatest weapon Winston can have is a top notch defense.
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:08 am

I'm not advocating drafting a DT, but if we dont pick one it will have been 8 years since it happened. We Have drafted 2 DE's in 6 years. That's since Clayborn and Steven Means.

I'm all for passing on passing on a DE in the first 3 rounds again if they cant be a difference maker and if they got their eyes on one after that I hope they are right.
mdb1958

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:15 am

mdb1958 wrote:I'm not advocating drafting a DT, but if we dont pick one it will have been 8 years since it happened. We Have drafted 2 DE's in 6 years. That's since Clayborn and Steven Means.

I'm all for passing on passing on a DE in the first 3 rounds again if they cant be a difference maker and if they got their eyes on one after that I hope they are right.

Simmer down. Licht did a fantastic job in free agency. The roster is the most complete it has been in years and he's got the flexibility in the draft to take virtually any position now.

Not a single guy, outside of the top QBs is off the board for us right now.

We could redshirt this entire draft class if needed.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby mdb1958 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:16 am

When I think of Baker, he wants to do his stuff in the box. What we need is a safety shield to play deep for us - one that allows our CB's to takes aggressive action at times.
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:21 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
mdb1958 wrote:I'm not advocating drafting a DT, but if we dont pick one it will have been 8 years since it happened. We Have drafted 2 DE's in 6 years. That's since Clayborn and Steven Means.

Simmer down. Licht did a fantastic job in free agency. The roster is the most complete it has been in years and he's got the flexibility in the draft to take virtually any position now.

Not a single guy, outside of the top QBs is off the board for us right now.

We could redshirt this entire draft class if needed.

Its cool, just a so you know statement for those that dont spend much time thinking about it. Like I said, I can see us passing on both positions if we cant get who I want, and its only a couple/few players. ;)
mdb1958

Postby VauntedTampa2 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:20 am

mdb1958 wrote:And I'll say it again. The greatest weapon Winston can have is a top notch defense.
VauntedTampa2

Postby real bucs fan » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:23 am

And the greatest weapon our D could have, would be a top flight run game :lol:
real bucs fan

PreviousNext

Return to College Football/Draft Talk