Who's your guy?

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Re: Who's your guy?

Postby Naismith » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:46 am

It's not my opinion, it's stated plainly in what they wrote. If you think they are lying about being told that by a source, that's a different topic, but they are clearly not describing anyone, just reporting what they've been told.
Naismith

Postby Super K » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:55 am

Naismith wrote:It's not my opinion, it's stated plainly in what they wrote. If you think they are lying about being told that by a source, that's a different topic, but they are clearly not describing anyone, just reporting what they've been told.

Yeah, another "unnamed source"...

It's bush league TMZ/presidential race style reporting...
Super K

Postby Naismith » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:12 am

There's nothing bush league about unnamed sources. It's the bedrock of investigative journalism. Whether you believe what they're saying comes down to your opinion about the journalist's credibility.

Regardless, whether this unnamed source is real or not has no impact on the draft. If these sources are accurate, it's coming from at least one team and all of the teams will have similar information. If it's inaccurate or made up, it's not going to change the background work other teams have done because they saw an unnamed source say he has a character red flag.
Naismith

Postby Buc2 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:39 pm

Nano wrote:
Noles1724 wrote:
Let me get Bootz-mode...link?

The only other thing about Cooks off the field issues(besides the ones mentioned) I found is from WalterFootball.

The combine interviews and pre-draft visits are going to be very important for Dalvin Cook. There are some minor off-the-field concerns regarding Cook; not so much with his character, but the company he keeps. Cook is said to have an entourage that has some real thugs. These friends have teams worried that it could be dangerous for Cook to continue hanging around them. Teams are concerned that Cook drinks a heavy amount and could have some challenges with his focus from having multiple kids with multiple women. They think that leaving the state of Florida would be good for Cook's long-term career and could help him to focus on becoming a professional.

However, some team sources are worried the entourage will follow Cook wherever he goes, as that was the case at Florida State. Thus, it would help Cook to go to a team with established leadership in the locker room that can help steer him in the right direction.

Well, the only that would probably stop his entourage from following him out of Florida is if he went to play in Canada. :lol:
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:58 pm

Naismith wrote:It's not my opinion, it's stated plainly in what they wrote. If you think they are lying about being told that by a source, that's a different topic, but they are clearly not describing anyone, just reporting what they've been told.

Reporting what you've been told without following up is like SK stated Bush league. It is Walter's Football though. And maybe I should take it as a sign that they know they have no credibility. You seem to feel the same about them but then I'd question why you'd cite them at all...
Bootz2004

Postby MJW » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:19 pm

I just spent awhile watching a TON of Dalvin Cook. Almost as much as I could find. I'd certainly seen him play, but I really wanted to watch him. So I dug in and here's what I see:

I see Warrick Dunn. It's honestly that simple for me. It has nothing to do with his jersey either. What he does well is what Warrick Dunn did well - getting skinny in the hole, taking the right angle to the corner, and burst in getting from the second level to the third. He'll even use the same spin move Dunn did when he gets faced up. He is really good at getting his shoulders square after making a cut. It's probably his best feature as a runner. Dunn was the same way.

What I didn't like are a lot of the things Dunn struggled with, too. He can be arm tackled. He's nifty enough when there's early penetration, but he can get engulfed very easily. His quickness from the 2nd gear to the 3rd gear is impressive, but I don't see his top gear as elite. These big runs where he's running away from a 4.7 safety at FSU aren't happening in the NFL. There were times he looked willing to pass block, but I doubt he's ever particularly good at it at his size. There were other times where he kind of shadow-boxed the air as a pass blocker despite pressure on his QB. I got the impression he didn't want to get his nose bloodied sometimes and he picked his spots to pass block. Also, while his tip-toed crease running led to some big gains at FSU, it's also going to lead to a lot of holes closing while he's in them unless he's behind a good line.

His hands were very good, especially when he knew he was well-covered. That was nice. But his fumbling is concerning. He needs to work on his high-and-tight. There's an "early Tiki Barber" factor there and he may need to be "fixed" like Tiki was.

Ultimately I like him and I think he'll be a good-to-great back in the league if he can stay healthy at his size, if he can improve as a pass blocker, and if he can work on protecting the ball. I don't think he's a bell cow. I think you're signing on for 15 touches a game, and you'll need to pair him with a hammer. He'll be best in a zone, though he can be good in a power scheme too.

I don't like him remotely as much as I like Fournette. Cook is a runner who'll beat defenses with nifty and quick and who'll be at his best when he has a crease and an angle. Fournette can do all that well enough, but he can also take a hit from a partially-blocked nose tackle at the POA and keep going, often without breaking stride. Cook can't. No crease? No angle to the edge? Meat. Fournette will get caught on some of the runs Cook will escape, but he'll also make five yards when he's blocked for two with more consistency. He can also likely handle a bigger workload, and it wouldn't be surprising if he's annually among the league's rushing attempts leaders.

I'd rather have Fournette, and I find McCaffrey more intriguing. But Cook will not bust I don't think, if he sands the edges of his game and ends up someplace that fits his skill set.
MJW

Postby Sammich » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:09 am

My guy would be Forrest Lamp. It sounds like Marpet may very well be moving to center, I don't trust Sweezy until I see him play, and I wasn't impressed with Pamphile. I can see a real need growing at guard. If Sweezy is 100% then we have Lamp and Sweezy as the starters and Pamphile as good depth. If Sweezy isn't 100% then at least we'll have one good guard. Our offense needs to be able to run with power and keep our QB upright- we absolutely need good guard play.

I don't want any RB in the first. I wouldn't mind drafting one, but I think the value will be in the middle rounds. The guy I want is Perine and he may very well be there in the third. If Perine is gone there are others that should be there.

I would like to draft a receiver to develop, but I think the first is too rich for that. (I also don't trust Ross' knees) I'd rather see who is there in the fourth.

I would only spend a first on a TE that can catch and block. I would not mind Howard in the first, but beyond him I see nobody that is worth it.

I would also be ok with a defender. S, CB, and edge should all have value. Lots of good players at safety and corner this year so there should be a couple to choose from in the second as well.
Sammich

Postby Alpha » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:45 am

Naismith wrote:http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2694599-matt-millers-scouting-notebook-is-nathan-peterman-this-years-dak-prescott

B/R: Pretend you're free to give a Twitter hot take on this class. What's your line?

Scout: Dalvin Cook is drafted after Leonard Fournette and Christian McCaffrey. Listen, this is the time of year when we're digging hard into the character of these guys. His past scares the s--t out of us. That, plus all the injuries and all the fumbles is just a lot to sign off on.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2699 ... -prospects

Question: Will on- and off-field issues push Dalvin Cook out of the first round?

Cook has never been found guilty of a crime, but there are multiple issues in his past that NFL teams are investigating. Cook was acquitted of a charge of misdemeanor battery in 2015, cited for a violation of animal care in 2014, charged with robbery in 2009 before the charge was dropped and in 2010 was charged with firing a weapon and possession of a weapon on school property, though at least one of those charges was dropped or abandoned. Another incident involved Cook being charged with criminal mischief for allegedly causing property damage with a BB gun.

On the field, Cook has been a dynamic three-down back, but he's dealt with shoulder and hamstring issues while showing a penchant for fumbling. Shoulders issues coupled with fumbles is a good way to see your stock drop.

A Scout Says: "The pattern of bad decisions are alarming, really. With my job on the line, I trust [Joe] Mixon a lot more than Dalvin Cook."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl-draft- ... 02838.html

Downside: Character red-flagged by multiple teams with checkered past, and team interviews have been a mixed bag when Cook has been asked about them.

https://walterfootball.com/seniorbowl2017rumors4.php

The combine interviews and pre-draft visits are going to be very important for Dalvin Cook. There are some minor off-the-field concerns regarding Cook; not so much with his character, but the company he keeps. Cook is said to have an entourage that has some real thugs. These friends have teams worried that it could be dangerous for Cook to continue hanging around them. Teams are concerned that Cook drinks a heavy amount and could have some challenges with his focus from having multiple kids with multiple women. They think that leaving the state of Florida would be good for Cook's long-term career and could help him to focus on becoming a professional.

However, some team sources are worried the entourage will follow Cook wherever he goes, as that was the case at Florida State. Thus, it would help Cook to go to a team with established leadership in the locker room that can help steer him in the right direction.

I know all of the FSU fan-boys don't want to believe what is "out there" but this should put the whole "I have an ax to grind" non-sense to bed.

It's not ME making **** up. I READ.

Frankly (and as I mentioned in my post), ON THE FIELD, Cook is a playmaker. An undeniable talent. IF that's all there was to it...bring him aboard. I'd be all for it.

I ONLY give a **** how it effects my team. The Bucs. Not FSU. There are several of you here that are apologists for your COLLEGE team. Pure and simple.

My suggestion:

Start an "FSU is AWESOME" thread and y'all can jerk each other off over how great your players are.

In THIS thread, come correct or STFU.
Alpha

Postby VauntedTampa2 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:35 am

Lots of capitalized words here.
I can feeeel your anger.
VauntedTampa2

Postby Brazen331 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:02 am

VauntedTampa2 wrote:Lots of capitalized words here.
I can feeeel your anger.

Alpha has actually been a decent contributor as of late. Not sure what triggered this hissy fit, maybe he just neglected to take his Zoloft or something. Anyway, I hope he can get back up and continue with his recent progress.
Brazen331

Postby Alpha » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:45 pm

Seem to have riled up the FSU faithful/apologists.

Again...y'all are welcome to start your FSU circle-jerk thread. Have at it.

You can pretend that there's "nothing to see here" with Cook...that doesn't make it true.

My original point (that was Trumped into non-existence by the fan boys), stands:

Too much smoke. Stay clear.

I hope and pray that Cook is available when we draft. And when Licht passes on him, I'll be here laughing my ass off, while the Apologists cry and bitch and moan.
Alpha

Postby beardmcdoug » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:52 pm

Alpha wrote:Seem to have riled up the FSU faithful/apologists.

You can pretend that there's "nothing to see here" with Cook...that doesn't make it true.

My original point (that was Trumped into non-existence by the fan boys), stands:

I hope and pray that Cook is available when we draft. And when Licht passes on him, I'll be here laughing my ass off, while the Apologists cry and bitch and moan.

You try too hard man. Chill out
beardmcdoug

Postby Teitan » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:56 pm

I don't think anyone here is that crazy over cook.
Teitan

Postby Alpha » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:21 pm

Teitan wrote:

Then clearly you aren't reading the posts.

If you were, it would be pretty clear as to who exactly the "FSU Bois" are. The same 3-4 posters have been banging the drum for him since Jan. Regardless of his issues.

Regardless...we won't have much longer to wait. A couple and a half weeks and we'll see how it shakes out.
Alpha

Postby Jason Bourne » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:09 pm

John Ross is my 1st choice , Howard 2nd choice

Ross would take this offense to another level and he could learn a lot from desean .
Jason Bourne

Postby Noles1724 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:52 pm

Teitan wrote:

For the record, I'd love to draft Jamaal Charles errr dalvin cook. That being said, if you (not you specifically, generally speaking) don't think he's worth the pick based on game tape then the opinion won't change.

My"homer"stance is similar to my JW stance. If he happens to get drafted by the Bucs he'll change opinions as the creme will rise to the top. If another team drafts him, I'll follow him similar to Boldin
Noles1724

Postby Alpha » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:58 pm

Noles1724 wrote:
Teitan wrote:

For the record, I'd love to draft Jamaal Charles errr dalvin cook. That being said, if you (not you specifically, generally speaking) don't think he's worth the pick based on game tape then the opinion won't change.

My"homer"stance is similar to my JW stance. If he happens to get drafted by the Bucs he'll change opinions as the creme will rise to the top. If another team drafts him, I'll follow him similar to Boldin

I guess you and the other fan-bois fail to understand that there is more to this than his game-day production. This isn't Tallahassee, where the cops will sweep everything under the rug. His talent has never been in question...as I've stated numerous times. Of course, the Semen-idiots only read want you want to read but whateves...

And there is a HUGE difference between his smoke and Jameis'. Any idiot can see this...and I'm not just ANY idiot.

He MAY end up being a J. Charles...err...Rae Carruth. His talent is that good. He and his consistent bad decision making may have him out of the league in 3 years. You would sell your soul for him because you're a blind homer. You care more about how FSU alums do than the Bucs. God bless ya.

I don't.

Still waiting for that "FSU Is Awesome" thread.

G'day...and fuckoff.
Alpha

Postby Brazen331 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:13 am

Comparing Cook to Rae Carruth is absurd beyond words. You can infuse your posts with all the drama you can muster but no one is going to pay you any mind when you write stupid **** like this.
Brazen331

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:20 am

One thing to remember about Obi! He was on a bad team so you may hesitate to make plays on the ball.
mdb1958

Postby uscbucsfan » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:39 am

mdb1958 wrote:One thing to remember about Obi! He was on a bad team so you may hesitate to make plays on the ball.

Obi has pretty bad tape. I know you are mdb and all, but are you really advocating us drafting him in the 1st? He's the definition or workout warrior.
uscbucsfan

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:52 am

uscbucsfan wrote:
mdb1958 wrote:One thing to remember about Obi! He was on a bad team so you may hesitate to make plays on the ball.

Obi has pretty bad tape. I know you are mdb and all, but are you really advocating us drafting him in the 1st? He's the definition or workout warrior.

What round does this bad tape take him to? You make a 118 tackles because your cleaning up for everybody else.

Safety Rankings by Attributes

Man Coverage:
NFL prototype: Earl Thomas, Seahawks
Budda Baker
Obi Melifonwu
Malik Hooker
Jamal Adams
Jabrill Peppers
Marcus Maye
Marcus Williams
Justin Evans

Zone Coverage:
NFL prototype: Eric Weddle, Ravens
Malik Hooker
Budda Baker
Jamal Adams
Obi Melifonwu
Marcus Maye
Marcus Williams
Jabrill Peppers
Justin Evans

Deep Help:
NFL prototype: Glover Quin, Lions
Malik Hooker
Budda Baker
Obi Melifonwu
Jamal Adams
Marcus Maye
Marcus Williams
Jabrill Peppers
Justin Evans

Run Defense:
NFL prototype: T.J. Ward, Broncos
Jamal Adams
Obi Melifonwu
Justin Evans
Jabrill Peppers
Malik Hooker
Marcus Maye
Marcus Williams
Budda Baker

Ball Skills:
NFL prototype: Eric Weddle, Ravens
Malik Hooker
Marcus Williams
Obi Melifonwu
Jamal Adams
Justin Evans
Budda Baker
Marcus Maye
Jabrill Peppers

Tight End Defense:
NFL prototype: Earl Thomas, Seahawks
Obi Melifonwu
Malik Hooker
Jamal Adams
Jabrill Peppers
Budda Baker
Marcus Maye
Marcus Williams
Justin Evans

Tackling & Hitting Ability:
NFL prototype: Kam Chancellor, Seahawks
Jamal Adams
Obi Melifonwu
Justin Evans
Jabrill Peppers
Marcus Maye
Malik Hooker
Marcus Williams
Budda Baker
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:56 am

This year they may have to reconsider who the prototypes are!
mdb1958

Postby uscbucsfan » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:57 am

He was a 2nd-3rd rounder prior to the combine. That's where he should be now. Of course theres a good chance a team will over draft him, just because of the combine. He would be a terrible first round pick for us. He reminds me a lot of Taylor Mays.
uscbucsfan

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:59 am

Plus in our division the tall receivers give Budda trouble with the deep help, my opinion.
mdb1958

Postby uscbucsfan » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:05 am

mdb1958 wrote:Plus in our division the tall receivers give Budda trouble with the deep help, my opinion.

I don't like Baker either.
uscbucsfan

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:21 am

My original post was just stating how many plays he did just playing clean up guy in the run game or mopping up the short passes. With Kwon and David around Tampa could teach him other duties.
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:44 am

If KC would do a swap and give us picks 91 and 104 - or - 91, 132, and 170. I'd do it in a heartbeat.

KC has 10 draftpicks, and their biggest need is inside backer and cornerback.
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:59 am

I may just do a crazy last mock involving a KC trade with us.
mdb1958

Postby beardmcdoug » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:30 am

Alpha wrote:
Noles1724 wrote:

I guess you and the other fan-bois fail to understand that there is more to this than his game-day production. This isn't Tallahassee, where the cops will sweep everything under the rug. His talent has never been in question...as I've stated numerous times. Of course, the Semen-idiots only read want you want to read but whateves...

And there is a HUGE difference between his smoke and Jameis'. Any idiot can see this...and I'm not just ANY idiot.

He MAY end up being a J. Charles...err...Rae Carruth. His talent is that good. He and his consistent bad decision making may have him out of the league in 3 years. You would sell your soul for him because you're a blind homer. You care more about how FSU alums do than the Bucs. God bless ya.

I don't.

Still waiting for that "FSU Is Awesome" thread.

G'day...and fuckoff.

jesus dude take your fuckin midol
beardmcdoug

Postby Brazen331 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:48 am

mdb1958 wrote:I may just do a crazy last mock involving a KC trade with us.

I will be looking forward to it.
Brazen331

PreviousNext

Return to College Football/Draft Talk