Who's your guy?

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Re: Who's your guy?

Postby Cheb » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:20 pm

Alpha wrote:
Watchout4Bucs wrote:
Interesting. That is the first I have heard that. Where there is smoke there is fire. I think Licht is more willing to take chances on these character concern guys than other GMs, which I love. Football is a violent game and some of the best players were insane.

that is all not to say Mixon is crazy or unstable.

I seriously doubt we'd send GMaC to talk to Perine.

Mixon is an interesting cat. Easily a first round talent. The local sports hacks had Landry (the draft guy...can't remember his first name) who stated that he felt Mixon was the best RB in this draft (from a pure football perspective). I only saw one Oklahoma game this year and Perine was the guy who went off (I think Mixon was banged up during the game).

The question would be do we draft him in the 2nd or hope he makes it to the third? The kid is gonna get drafted and play in the NFL. His "punching the broad in the face" thing is gonna cost him the first round (MONEY) but my bet is we take him in the 2nd, if he makes it to us.

Mixon the best back in the draft?

Cheb

Postby beardmcdoug » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:44 pm

Cheb wrote:
Alpha wrote:

Mixon is an interesting cat. Easily a first round talent. The local sports hacks had Landry (the draft guy...can't remember his first name) who stated that he felt Mixon was the best RB in this draft (from a pure football perspective). I only saw one Oklahoma game this year and Perine was the guy who went off (I think Mixon was banged up during the game).

The question would be do we draft him in the 2nd or hope he makes it to the third? The kid is gonna get drafted and play in the NFL. His "punching the broad in the face" thing is gonna cost him the first round (MONEY) but my bet is we take him in the 2nd, if he makes it to us.

beardmcdoug

Postby Naismith » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:57 pm

I think Mixon might be the best overall RB in the draft for the Bucs. I love Fournette and I think he's the kind of RB that the Bucs would love to bully teams with but he definitely isn't the receiver out of the backfield that Mixon is.
Naismith

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:37 pm

Naismith wrote:I think Mixon might be the best overall RB in the draft for the Bucs. I love Fournette and I think he's the kind of RB that the Bucs would love to bully teams with but he definitely isn't the receiver out of the backfield that Mixon is.

On the field, I absolutely agree. He'd be perfect. But fair or not, the optics of taking him at 19 would be terrible- and it would only further the scrutiny Winston is under unfortunately as the media would not fail to bring up the rape allegations every time they talk about Mixon.

I'm really, really warming up to the idea of taking Evan Engram. I think he can be a superstar. His combine performance is one thing, but his tape is fantastic as well. You just don't see guys his size who can move like him, with his natural receiving skills very often. Like never. I compared him to Jordan Reed earlier and when googling to see if others had made that comparison I stumbled across this:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/simulcam/0ap3 ... ordan-Reed

:shock:
real bucs fan

Postby mdb1958 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:08 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
Naismith wrote:I think Mixon might be the best overall RB in the draft for the Bucs. I love Fournette and I think he's the kind of RB that the Bucs would love to bully teams with but he definitely isn't the receiver out of the backfield that Mixon is.

On the field, I absolutely agree. He'd be perfect. But fair or not, the optics of taking him at 19 would be terrible- and it would only further the scrutiny Winston is under unfortunately as the media would not fail to bring up the rape allegations every time they talk about Mixon.

I'm really, really warming up to the idea of taking Evan Engram. I think he can be a superstar. His combine performance is one thing, but his tape is fantastic as well. You just don't see guys his size who can move like him, with his natural receiving skills very often. Like never. I compared him to Jordan Reed earlier and when googling to see if others had made that comparison I stumbled across this:

Make a list of linebackers that can keep up with him.
mdb1958

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:25 pm

mdb1958 wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:

Darron Lee? Ryan Shazier? Ultimately I think you need to put a safety on him.

What I like about him best though, is how many boxes he checks. Big target for Winston? Check. Speed to the offence? Check. Schematic and personnel versatility to instill run/pass conflict? Check.

And while he isn't a great blocker, he puts his nose in there at least.
real bucs fan

Postby mdb1958 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:39 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
mdb1958 wrote:

What I like about him best though, is how many boxes he checks. Big target for Winston? Check. Speed to the offence? Check. Schematic and personnel versatility to instill run/pass conflict? Check.

Guess who isnt getting help over the top.
mdb1958

Postby terrytate » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:01 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
mdb1958 wrote:

I disagree. I don't think he instills a run/pass conflict because he is very small for a TE. Hell, he's not even exceptionally big for a WR. He is essentially a fast Tim Wright. No way do I want to draft him early in this draft, not when there are so many TE's to choose from that do pretty much everything Engram does but in a much larger and more powerful frame. No way do I want this guy at 19, even in the second or third there will be guy who would fit much better for us.
terrytate

Postby mdb1958 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:15 pm

terrytate wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:Darron Lee? Ryan Shazier? Ultimately I think you need to put a safety on him.

I disagree. I don't think he instills a run/pass conflict because he is very small for a TE. Hell, he's not even exceptionally big for a WR. He is essentially a fast Tim Wright. No way do I want to draft him early in this draft, not when there are so many TE's to choose from that do pretty much everything Engram does but in a much larger and more powerful frame. No way do I want this guy at 19, even in the second or third there will be guy who would fit much better for us.

Identifying who you want is one thing and being able to get them is another! Therein lies my conundrum because I would like a DE,DB,TE for our first 3 picks.
mdb1958

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:20 pm

terrytate wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:Darron Lee? Ryan Shazier? Ultimately I think you need to put a safety on him.

The only thing he has in common with Wright is size.

Engram is more than a physical freak though. He's got WR skills. Classify him as a WR and he's one of the top guys in the class. He just happens to be able to block too.

And the way he instilled that conflict is by allowing you to run 2TE or 3WR sets with the same personnel.
real bucs fan

Postby terrytate » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:36 am

real bucs fan wrote:
terrytate wrote:

The only thing he has in common with Wright is size.

Engram is more than a physical freak though. He's got WR skills. Classify him as a WR and he's one of the top guys in the class. He just happens to be able to block too.

And the way he instilled that conflict is by allowing you to run 2TE or 3WR sets with the same personnel.

I don't think people will respect his blocking in a 2 TE set though. You put a 6'2" 230 pound guy on the line and DC's are going to see it is a vulnerability, just like they did with Wright. At 19, we still might be lucky enough to land Howard, who is very nearly as fast, far larger and a much more polished blocker. I'd argue that Njoku and Hodges are every bit the athletic studs that Engram is. They aren't quite as fast but they are taller and bigger. I'd for sure take Howard, Njoku, Hodges and likely Shaheen over Engram.

Speaking of Shaheen, that's a guy I wish I knew more about. Playing for Ashland means the only video of him is against scrub league college guys. The measurables are sure impressive, a 280 pound guy running in the 4.7 range is not bad.
terrytate

Postby Kress » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:38 am

Bootz2004 wrote:Cam Robinson. At best he supplants Donovan Smith at LT and gives us a great bookend duo. At worst Smith proves the end of 2016 wasn't a fluke, he improves and Robinson fills in at RT giving us a great bookend duo.

Sonofabitch. I agree with this guy.
Kress

Postby Alpha » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:48 am

Cheb wrote:
Alpha wrote:

See...here's the thing...

That ain't my opinion. That's the opinion of some "draft expert". Kinda like we've got around here.

Frankly, I haven't seen Mixon play more than a handful of snaps so I'll defer to those that have.

And based on your cute, little meme...I suppose that's you.

So...what's your opinion of the kid?

Unless, of course, you've seen as much of him as I have...and haven't read it from other "experts"...
Alpha

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:34 am

terrytate wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:The only thing he has in common with Wright is size.

I don't think people will respect his blocking in a 2 TE set though. You put a 6'2" 230 pound guy on the line and DC's are going to see it is a vulnerability, just like they did with Wright. At 19, we still might be lucky enough to land Howard, who is very nearly as fast, far larger and a much more polished blocker. I'd argue that Njoku and Hodges are every bit the athletic studs that Engram is. They aren't quite as fast but they are taller and bigger. I'd for sure take Howard, Njoku, Hodges and likely Shaheen over Engram.

Speaking of Shaheen, that's a guy I wish I knew more about. Playing for Ashland means the only video of him is against scrub league college guys. The measurables are sure impressive, a 280 pound guy running in the 4.7 range is not bad.

Is he shrinking, cuz at the combine he was 6'3" 235lbs :D

And he's not a non-blocker. He just lacks size and his technique is iffy, but as I said earlier, at least he consistently gets his nose in there and pops guys. Dude is not soft and considers himself an all around TE despite his size.

Howard is my dream pick, and I'm not in any way saying I'd take Engram over Howard. But if Howard is off the board, Engram is the #2 TE for me, and one of the top skill guys in this draft. In terms of the Njoku vs Engram debate, all Njoku has over Engram is size and "upside". Engram is much more refined as a receiver, and as a blocker they are about equals, and Engrams significantly faster albeit at a lesser mass. Hodges I'd put in the same catagory, though he's more refined as a receiving TE than Njoku but lacks the elite athleticism.

Shaheen is a name I've read alot lately, but haven't looked into him much at all. He could be an option Day 2 for sure though.
real bucs fan

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:21 am

real bucs fan wrote:
terrytate wrote:

And he's not a non-blocker. He just lacks size and his technique is iffy, but as I said earlier, at least he consistently gets his nose in there and pops guys. Dude is not soft and considers himself an all around TE despite his size.

Howard is my dream pick, and I'm not in any way saying I'd take Engram over Howard. But if Howard is off the board, Engram is the #2 TE for me, and one of the top skill guys in this draft. In terms of the Njoku vs Engram debate, all Njoku has over Engram is size and "upside". Engram is much more refined as a receiver, and as a blocker they are about equals, and Engrams significantly faster albeit at a lesser mass. Hodges I'd put in the same catagory, though he's more refined as a receiving TE than Njoku but lacks the elite athleticism.

Shaheen is a name I've read alot lately, but haven't looked into him much at all. He could be an option Day 2 for sure though.

I have no doubt Engram would be good weapon in the passing game. I don't think anyone here is debating that. The critique with a pick like Engram is that if we put him on the field w/ Brate in a 2 TE set then BOTH our edges are weak, now add in the potential for Hawley to be playing Center and now 3/7 of the 'box' are below average run blockers. Dotson isn't that great either in the run game.

Now Njoku may not be the best inline blocker either, but he has the frame to develop. Engram will never be that guy.

I just don't think we draft a F/Move TE early. If we go TE it's Howard (if he's there) or a guy w/ some size in the middle rounds imo.

I just don't see how we could possibly run the ball effectively w/ Brate-Engram-Hawley-Dotson making up over 50% of the 7 blockers in a 2 TE set. So unless we going to turn into the Patriots and never run the ball, I don't see it.
DreadNaught

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:29 am

I have yet to see any indication of Engram being considered a 1st round prospect. You don't draft a move TE that high. RBF mentioned Jordan Reed as a comparison. Even though I don't necessarily agree with the comparison, Reed was a 3rd round pick. Njoku offers upside as an inline TE. Engram doesn't.
Bootz2004

Postby Teitan » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:32 am

Gerald Everett has been getting the Jordan Reed comparison also, can probably be had later if we are going that route.
Teitan

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:34 am

DreadNaught wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:

I have no doubt Engram would be good weapon in the passing game. I don't think anyone here is debating that. The critique with a pick like Engram is that if we put him on the field w/ Brate in a 2 TE set then BOTH our edges are weak, now add in the potential for Hawley to be playing Center and now 3/7 of the 'box' are below average run blockers. Dotson isn't that great either in the run game.

Now Njoku may not be the best inline blocker either, but he has the frame to develop. Engram will never be that guy.

I just don't think we draft a F/Move TE early. If we go TE it's Howard (if he's there) or a guy w/ some size in the middle rounds imo.

I just don't see how we could possibly run the ball effectively w/ Brate-Engram-Hawley-Dotson making up over 50% of the 7 blockers in a 2 TE set. So unless we going to turn into the Patriots and never run the ball, I don't see it.

If Njoku has the frame to develop into a quality inline blocker, so does Brate. And frankly, if Brate uses his Harvard mind, he should understand that developing as a blocker is important for his career. And I'd bet he's already working on it.

And if we were to draft Engram at 19, I'd be sure to spend both Day 2 picks to improve the run game. Day 2 is loaded with RBs and IOLs so shouldn't be difficult. Foreman and Orlosky would be great follow ups for example. Or perhaps Pocic and Perine. A frontline that features Smith, Sweezy, Orlosky, Marpet, and Dotson at OT, and Brate/Engram at TE, and Foreman in the backfield should be able to run the ball quite well IMO. And the passing game should be excellent assuming Winston continues his ascension.
real bucs fan

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:36 am

Bootz2004 wrote:I have yet to see any indication of Engram being considered a 1st round prospect. You don't draft a move TE that high. RBF mentioned Jordan Reed as a comparison. Even though I don't necessarily agree with the comparison, Reed was a 3rd round pick. Njoku offers upside as an inline TE. Engram doesn't.

"I'm able to come up with my own board and predictions. And why not? The http://www.___________________.com draft boards you look at are never right come draft day. Neither are the Kipers and Mayocks and McShays. Create your own thoughts."
real bucs fan

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:54 am

real bucs fan wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:I have yet to see any indication of Engram being considered a 1st round prospect. You don't draft a move TE that high. RBF mentioned Jordan Reed as a comparison. Even though I don't necessarily agree with the comparison, Reed was a 3rd round pick. Njoku offers upside as an inline TE. Engram doesn't.

"I'm able to come up with my own board and predictions. And why not? The http://www.___________________.com draft boards you look at are never right come draft day. Neither are the Kipers and Mayocks and McShays. Create your own thoughts."

Exactly. My thoughts come from research while yours come from how well you think they'll play in Madden. It's hilarious though that you didn't comprehend what I meant in this statement.

So continue pulling bullshit out your ass, kiddo
Bootz2004

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:03 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:

Exactly. My thoughts come from research while yours come from how well you think they'll play in Madden. It's hilarious though that you didn't comprehend what I meant in this statement.

So continue pulling bullshit out your ass, kiddo

GTFO with your BS. I've been researching the draft for months, and have been researching drafts for over a decade. You're only beginning your evaluation process sonny boy.
real bucs fan

Postby Teitan » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:04 am

Both of you **** off with your draft **** measuring competition.
Teitan

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:07 am

Teitan wrote:Both of you **** off with your draft **** measuring competition.

I bring nothing but level headed, logical, and well researched discussion on the draft. This fool is the one who goes on and on about he's some football genius while insulting others, when he's clearly a fool. The fact so many of you tolerate this clown boggles my mind.
real bucs fan

Postby Teitan » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:20 am

real bucs fan wrote:
Teitan wrote:Both of you **** off with your draft **** measuring competition.

I bring nothing but level headed, logical, and well researched discussion on the draft. This fool is the one who goes on and on about he's some football genius while insulting others, when he's clearly a fool. The fact so many of you tolerate this clown boggles my mind.

He was actually discussing Tight Ends with you and you LITERALLY picked an argument by throwing up a quote in his face that you've clearly been dying to use, which also didn't add anything to the discussion or respond to his post.
Teitan

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:31 am

Teitan wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:

He was actually discussing Tight Ends with you and you LITERALLY picked an argument by throwing up a quote in his face that you've clearly been dying to use, which also didn't add anything to the discussion or respond to his post.

I wasn't "dying to use" anything, his quote was a relevant response since it applied. His statement that I quoted illustrated that he forms his own opinions, and in regards to Engram, I'm clearly doing the same. Wasn't meant to be insulting, but in retrospect, I can understand why It was perceived as such.

So to move along... Bootz, in regards to Engram I am forming my own opinion here. I think he is being slept on. While he might not be viewed as a first rounder by many at the moment, I believe 5 years from now he will prove to be one of the best weapons from this draft.
real bucs fan

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:40 am

I don't disagree. Engram will be a great weapon. But he's not a TE. He's never going to play with his hand in the dirt. If you had said you'd draft him and tell him to lose about 10 pounds to play WR, I would understand your position more. But you said you'd use him as a move TE. Move TEs don't have that much value. You certainly wouldn't use a 1st round pick there. Njoku can play inline. He has size, strength and room to grow physically. You can play him anywhere and he provides something as a blocker.
Bootz2004

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:51 am

Bootz2004 wrote:I don't disagree. Engram will be a great weapon. But he's not a TE. He's never going to play with his hand in the dirt. If you had said you'd draft him and tell him to lose about 10 pounds to play WR, I would understand your position more. But you said you'd use him as a move TE. Move TEs don't have that much value. You certainly wouldn't use a 1st round pick there. Njoku can play inline. He has size, strength and room to grow physically. You can play him anywhere and he provides something as a blocker.

I don't believe he needs to lose 10 pounds to play WR. He's a well put together 235lbs and his athleticism, for any sized WR, is top notched.

And to be clear, I think he can be both a move TE and a jumbo WR as is, no weight gain or loss needed for him to play either, and he's already got the polished skillset to do both. At 235lbs he's about the same size as the bigger WRs and move TEs we see throughout the NFL. I think he can be both at an elite level, and that only adds to his versatility, and the versatility our offence would have with him on the field. I don't think Engram is a perfect prospect by any means, but after Fournette, Cook, Davis, Williams, and Howard, I think he's in that next tier of weapons, and of that next tier I believe him to be a better gamble than John Ross, McCaffery, Kamara, Mixon and Njoku.
real bucs fan

Postby Naismith » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:51 am

Yeah, I don't see the value in drafting a TE in the first round that isn't very good in both the run and pass game.
Naismith

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:59 am

Naismith wrote:Yeah, I don't see the value in drafting a TE in the first round that isn't very good in both the run and pass game.

So that would take you out of the Njoku camp, but Engram is a heck of a receiver ;)
real bucs fan

Postby mdb1958 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:00 am

I'm very tempted to say Engram will have a better career than Howard. Feel free to save and sticky.
mdb1958

PreviousNext

Return to College Football/Draft Talk