Who's your guy?

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Who's your guy?

Postby Teitan » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:12 pm

Your ideal pick at 19? He's there, who are you pounding the table for?

Mine is O.J. Howard. I just think the guy is going to be a stud. We haven't really addressed the TE position. We had 1 TE catch more than 7 passes last season, Brate. He's solid but no world beater. I just think Howard will give us everything we hoped for with ASJ. I personally don't think he makes it to us. But if he's there, I'm running to the podium.
Teitan

Re: Who's your guy?

Postby Phantom Phenom » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:15 pm

Foreman
Last edited by Phantom Phenom on Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phantom Phenom

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:19 pm

Cam Robinson. At best he supplants Donovan Smith at LT and gives us a great bookend duo. At worst Smith proves the end of 2016 wasn't a fluke, he improves and Robinson fills in at RT giving us a great bookend duo.
Bootz2004

Postby Alpha » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:45 pm

Impossible to say. Really depends entirely how the draft plays out.

I'd rather pass on a RB in the 1st. RUMOR (in Tampa) has that the Bucs have a real interest in Mixon, later in the draft. They've sent coaches AND GMac to Oklahoma to interview the kid.

IF one of the Safeties slip, I'd take one. That's doubtful however.

I know it won't be popular...but I'd probably go o-line in the first. Robinson...even the Guard out of W. Kentucky.
Alpha

Postby Phantom Phenom » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:47 pm

Bootz said it best, Cam in first then foreman in second

This offense is set for decade
Phantom Phenom

Postby mdb1958 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:53 pm

Corey Davis, if any luck happens.
mdb1958

Postby Naismith » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:07 pm

Bolles is my favorite. Foreman is a worst case scenario player for me in the first few rounds.
Naismith

Postby Cheb » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:30 pm

It is hard to say without knowing how the board will shake out. We all could easily be picking guys who end up being selected in the top fifteen.

I could stand on my soapbox and make good cases for about twenty different guys, but that's hardly the point of the thread, now is it?
Cheb

Postby real bucs fan » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:43 pm

OJ Howard but he won't be there.
real bucs fan

Postby Teitan » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:56 pm

Cheb wrote:It is hard to say without knowing how the board will shake out. We all could easily be picking guys who end up being selected in the top fifteen.

I could stand on my soapbox and make good cases for about twenty different guys, but that's hardly the point of the thread, now is it?

No, the point is; your guy is there. You are in the draft room. Who are you fighting for? Within reason.. not meant to be a fantasy topic like Myles Garrett.
Teitan

Postby Super K » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:43 pm

Alpha wrote:Impossible to say. Really depends entirely how the draft plays out.

I'd rather pass on a RB in the 1st. RUMOR (in Tampa) has that the Bucs have a real interest in Mixon, later in the draft. They've sent coaches AND GMac to Oklahoma to interview the kid.

I know it won't be popular...but I'd probably go o-line in the first. Robinson...even the Guard out of W. Kentucky.

For what it's worth, I've read that our sending reps to Oklahoma was to look at Perine opposed to Mixon...
Super K

Postby Teitan » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:45 pm

Super K wrote:

For what it's worth, I've read that our sending reps to Oklahoma was to look at Perine opposed to Mixon...

SMOKE SCREEN!!!!

I want Mixon bad. Maybe round 3.

Perfect world: Howard, Baker, Mixon. The first two will be gone before our picks though.
Teitan

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:51 pm

Super K wrote:

Perine?? Reminds me of Michael Bush.
Bootz2004

Postby Cheb » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:07 pm

Teitan wrote:
Cheb wrote:It is hard to say without knowing how the board will shake out. We all could easily be picking guys who end up being selected in the top fifteen.

No, the point is; your guy is there. You are in the draft room. Who are you fighting for? Within reason.. not meant to be a fantasy topic like Myles Garrett.

Then add my vote to the OJ Howard crowd. He can block Myles Garrett one-on-one (did it well, too), stalk blocks better than most wideouts, can outrun defensive backs, has great hands, can play anywhere, and is by all accounts a stand-up dude. He checks every box but the great stats box, and that's excusable.

Howard would bail out Winston several times a game, and can spring the run game in a big way. There is literally nothing not to love.

I could be very happy with about twenty different guys, but again, Howard fits this team like a glove.
Cheb

Postby Alpha » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:11 pm

Super K wrote:

For what it's worth...the local sports radio hacks had 2 interviews with Buc staff (1 player/1 non-player) that said they were there to talk to Mixon.

Sure...they could be lying but I'll take their word for it over yours.

No offense, of course.
Alpha

Postby Super K » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:19 pm

Alpha wrote:
Super K wrote:

For what it's worth...the local sports radio hacks had 2 interviews with Buc staff (1 player/1 non-player) that said they were there to talk to Mixon.

Sure...they could be lying but I'll take their word for it over yours.

No offense, of course.

No offense taken..

I'd lean towards what the local "insiders" say over what I've read too..
Super K

Postby terrytate » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:52 am

Cheb wrote:
Teitan wrote:

Then add my vote to the OJ Howard crowd. He can block Myles Garrett one-on-one (did it well, too), stalk blocks better than most wideouts, can outrun defensive backs, has great hands, can play anywhere, and is by all accounts a stand-up dude. He checks every box but the great stats box, and that's excusable.

Howard would bail out Winston several times a game, and can spring the run game in a big way. There is literally nothing not to love.

I could be very happy with about twenty different guys, but again, Howard fits this team like a glove.

All of this. Been banging the drum for Howard for some time now. Remember all of those times we ran a 6th OL, now imagine we have Howard out there instead. Dude can block like a champ and has the size/speed combination to abuse LB's if one finds himself in coverage against Howard. Hell, Howard has the wheels to get down the field in the deep game with ease. Winston has always loved throwing to a TE, lets get him the most versatile guy in the draft.

If Howard is long gone, there a bunch of others I'd be happy with. A bushel of DB's, Ramczyk, Ross, Williams, Njoku.... I could go on for a while.

We are in a position now where we don't have to draft need. We can sit back and just let the BPA come to us. Feels good, free at last!
terrytate

Postby EastBayBucsFan » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:09 am

I'm hoping for Howard, I just hope he is still there at 19. I love Dalvin Cook but I don't think we should spend a first round pick on any RB.

"And so castles made of sand, melts into the sea eventually."
EastBayBucsFan

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:24 am

I'm torn.

The front office has done a great job plugging holes in free agency so for the first time since I started paying serious attention to the draft, there's no glaring need that MUST be addressed in the first round.

At this point, I'm still inclined to take a Safety, but Ramczyk, Bolles, Lamp, or Robinson would all be great additions.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:59 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:I'm torn.

The front office has done a great job plugging holes in free agency so for the first time since I started paying serious attention to the draft, there's no glaring need that MUST be addressed in the first round.

At this point, I'm still inclined to take a Safety, but Ramczyk, Bolles, Lamp, or Robinson would all be great additions.

Does the safety have a name? Its a shame to see you struggle like this...
mdb1958

Postby Pewterslimsme » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:26 am

I personally want to improve OLine and would go Cam also. But if for some reason the FO is comfortable with our current OL then it'd be Howard which in a way would also help address OL as well.
Pewterslimsme

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:27 am

mdb1958 wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:I'm torn.

Does the safety have a name? Its a shame to see you struggle like this...

Mdb has jokes.

Assuming Hooker and Adams are off the board, I'd say Budda Baker.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:33 am

When it comes to football my jokes are very limited, thx amigo.
mdb1958

Postby beardmcdoug » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:14 am

OJ Howard. For every reason stated by Cheb

Would love it if we ended up with Jamal Adams, Reuben Foster or Corey Davis otherwise

We really are in a great position this year, there's almost guaranteed to be a great talent there for us at #19, and we can go BPA based on how our roster is looking
beardmcdoug

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:30 am

I'll be very happy if any of the 4 players below are there at 19.

Corey Davis
OJ Howard
Cam Robinson
Dalvin Cook

There are others also. I really don't have much of a draft crush this year compared to years past. I'm pretty confident we're going to get some good talent in this draft since we are not pigeon holed into drafting any position early.

We need depth at a few positions. But we already have a good starting 22 w/ depth at Dline that is solid as we sit here today. Just want us to keep adding pieces around Jameis and on defense at whatever positions have the most talent on the board when we pick.
DreadNaught

Postby Doctor » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:47 am

Phantom Phenom wrote:Foreman

In the first??

I'm with Dread, but replaced wack Cam with Solomon Thomas or Jamal Adams. Obviously if Hooker is there we should run up to the podium as well. Davis would be a huge win for us.

I think there's no hiding that I am totally on the Cook train though. The guy just runs through people, his yards after contact are insane, his game is likely to translate to the NFL better than any other RB, it just so happens to be a huge need for us (though you never draft for need), and he'll instally spark Winston who will bring him into the fold quick. It's too perfect. Then again landing Steven Jackson was perfect too and yet.....
Doctor

Postby Watchout4Bucs » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:46 am

Interesting. That is the first I have heard that. Where there is smoke there is fire. I think Licht is more willing to take chances on these character concern guys than other GMs, which I love. Football is a violent game and some of the best players were insane.

that is all not to say Mixon is crazy or unstable.
Watchout4Bucs

Postby Alpha » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:44 am

Watchout4Bucs wrote:

Interesting. That is the first I have heard that. Where there is smoke there is fire. I think Licht is more willing to take chances on these character concern guys than other GMs, which I love. Football is a violent game and some of the best players were insane.

I seriously doubt we'd send GMaC to talk to Perine.

Mixon is an interesting cat. Easily a first round talent. The local sports hacks had Landry (the draft guy...can't remember his first name) who stated that he felt Mixon was the best RB in this draft (from a pure football perspective). I only saw one Oklahoma game this year and Perine was the guy who went off (I think Mixon was banged up during the game).

The question would be do we draft him in the 2nd or hope he makes it to the third? The kid is gonna get drafted and play in the NFL. His "punching the broad in the face" thing is gonna cost him the first round (MONEY) but my bet is we take him in the 2nd, if he makes it to us.
Alpha

Postby Nano » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:54 am

By most accounts, Mixon's stock is rising and waiting until the 3rd is no longer an option. Hell, during the Pro Day, you had some scouts say he possibly won't make it out of the first.

As for us taking him, I think it's more likely then some teams. Licht has shown in the past he's will to overlook past issues
Nano

Postby mdb1958 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:50 am

Alpha wrote:
Watchout4Bucs wrote:

I seriously doubt we'd send GMaC to talk to Perine.

Mixon is an interesting cat. Easily a first round talent. The local sports hacks had Landry (the draft guy...can't remember his first name) who stated that he felt Mixon was the best RB in this draft (from a pure football perspective). I only saw one Oklahoma game this year and Perine was the guy who went off (I think Mixon was banged up during the game).

The question would be do we draft him in the 2nd or hope he makes it to the third? The kid is gonna get drafted and play in the NFL. His "punching the broad in the face" thing is gonna cost him the first round (MONEY) but my bet is we take him in the 2nd, if he makes it to us.

Gerald mighta been digging around campus asking questions.
mdb1958

Next

Return to College Football/Draft Talk