Doctor's First Buc Mock

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Doctor's First Buc Mock

Postby Doctor » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:21 pm

1st- Sidney Jones, CB, Washington

It worked out well last year and Grimes isn't getting younger. Sidney Jones is incredibly physical despite being light in the trunk. Probably not a guy you'd want to match up against Dez Bryant, but will be able to take on guys like Cooks, Ginn, Sanu, and even Julio (with some help over the top of course). He'd be a top 5 pick if he was 15lbs heavier. Good quick feet, able to make a break on the ball, and plays both his man and the QB very well. Got his hands on one out of every five balls thrown his way. While Teez is my favorite CB in this class, I think Jones is the most likely to end up being the best CB when all is said and done.

2nd- JuJu Smith-Schuster, WR, USC

I love Ju-Ju. This guy may not have the speed to blow the tops off defenses but he has everything else. Big body and can do all the dirty work over the middle. Has a great catch radius to bring down all those high balls Winston tends to throw. Very aggressive and will be an asset in the run game. Loves to man handle defenders (as he did Sidney Jones). Compared to Anquan Boldin and it's not hard to see why. Some people have him falling to the top of the third overthinking his speed. The biggest risk is pissing on DeSean Jackson as Ju-Ju becomes Winstons new best friend instead.

3rd- D'Onta Foreman, RB, Texas

Some people have Foreman going as high as the first, but I just don't see it. He's too incomplete of a back, being purely a two-down rusher at this point. Which is works because all we have are third down RBs at the moment. A big guy who is surprisingly more finesse than you'd think, ala Blount, but he is actually useful in short yardage. In fact, he's great at it. The guy is hard to bring down with anything less than a solid wrap up and can bounce between tacklers who fail to do so. A north-south chain mover and exactly what we need in this committee.

4th- Lorenzo Jerome, S, St. Francis

A former QB with excellent instincts you just can't teach. Loves the game and is very physical. Not the biggest or tallest, but the guy plays football. The exact kind of Day 3 "Look who won the starting job" safety pick this team needs. A good pass rush, some CBs in the press, and a safety to take advantage. Mike Smith will be the one beating the drum for this small school kid who some may call a reach here.

5th- Chase Roullier, C/G, Wyoming

Depth at the line for now but the kid is a grinder and hard worker. Maybe have him play center or move Marpet to center and play him at OG, he gives you options.

6th- Michael Roberts, TE, Toledo

Two numbers for you. 270lbs, 16 TDs last year. This is the kind of pick you make late.

7th- Montae Nicholson, S, Michigan State

Scouts are split on him. Ultimately much more of an athlete than a football player. Lacks instincts and plays soft. Pretty much the opposite of Jerome. If we could just splice them it'd be excellent. ST contributor with possible gem potential.
Doctor

Re: Doctor's First Buc Mock

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:37 pm

Here's my thing....

You're spending a 1st rounder on a guy who is depth for at least one season. Typically, you want your 1st round guy to have an immediate impact.

Now you can make the case that you're entire mock does that and if so, nicely done. But even as depth, I think we may have better options in the first.

I really like Jerome, though. You can see the desire pouring out of the kid. He wants to be great. Reminds me of Kwon that way.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Naismith » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:37 pm

I don't agree that you need your first rounder to have an immediate impact, though last year's first round CB made a big impact -- just not a good one.

I like the Michael Roberts pick. There are a few guys I know nothing about. They are my second and third favorite picks.
Naismith

Postby BucaRican » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:41 pm

Lorenzo Jerome would be a sneaky pick and I like it. But do you honestly think D'Onta Foreman is going to make it to the 19th pick of the 3rd? I don't with 3 RBs going in the 1st no way he goes past the 2nd.

Also I agree drafting 1st round for Depth would be bad. Unless its a QB you want someone to come in and have some kind of influence.
BucaRican

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:44 pm

Naismith wrote:I don't agree that you need your first rounder to have an immediate impact, though last year's first round CB made a big impact -- just not a good one.

I disagree with your assessment of VH3's season.

He won some and lost some, but he played his ass off and learned a lot.

We could have done a lot worse than VH3.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Doctor » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:46 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:Here's my thing....

You're spending a 1st rounder on a guy who is depth for at least one season. Typically, you want your 1st round guy to have an immediate impact.

Now you can make the case that you're entire mock does that and if so, nicely done. But even as depth, I think we may have better options in the first.

I really like Jerome, though. You can see the desire pouring out of the kid. He wants to be great. Reminds me of Kwon that way.

Not really. In fact, I hate starting rookies in most cases period. I hate handing them jobs. I hate avoiding vets because we want to be young in a position for the sake of being young. The only time I'm even mildly okay with it is when they are legit the best option we have on the roster. I am perfectly content with bringing a rookie, any rookie, along slowly and having them rotate in their first year. Also, Jones can come in and take over the third corner spot, which is as immediate of an impact as any position these days.
Doctor

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:47 pm

The mindset that your 1st round MUST have an immediate comes with being a fan of perennial bad franchise. Grimes is old and you need more than 2 CBs in the NFL these days anyways, so it's not as if a 1st round CB would not see the field for us.

Solid mock, Doc.. I love Michael Roberts, my favorite mid-round TE prospect for sure. Great size, soft hands (which are like almost 12" - among the largest at the combine EVER measured).

My biggest complaint would be that we didn't draft a Safety. There are no good ones left on FA market and ASSUMING we are able to re-sign McDougald, that still leaves us w/ Tandy/Conte competing for the other spot. That would be depressing if we went the entire offseason and failed to upgrade the talent level there.
DreadNaught

Postby Doctor » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:58 pm

BucaRican wrote:Lorenzo Jerome would be a sneaky pick and I like it. But do you honestly think D'Onta Foreman is going to make it to the 19th pick of the 3rd? I don't with 3 RBs going in the 1st no way he goes past the 2nd.

Also I agree drafting 1st round for Depth would be bad. Unless its a QB you want someone to come in and have some kind of influence.

Some people have him going even lower. It's a deep draft and after the first two backs, none are particularly elite. A lot of teams can go a lot of different ways. Also, Foreman is very limited as a rusher and there are better, more complete backs that can go ahead of him. Also, the simple talent and depth of the other positions will push him down. Of the 20 RBs taken last year only four went on Day 1 and 2. Foreman is ranked as the 4th to 6th best RB, so yeah, it fits right in.
Doctor

Postby Doctor » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:59 pm

DreadNaught wrote:The mindset that your 1st round MUST have an immediate comes with being a fan of perennial bad franchise. Grimes is old and you need more than 2 CBs in the NFL these days anyways, so it's not as if a 1st round CB would not see the field for us.

Solid mock, Doc.. I love Michael Roberts, my favorite mid-round TE prospect for sure. Great size, soft hands (which are like almost 12" - among the largest at the combine EVER measured).

My biggest complaint would be that we didn't draft a Safety. There are no good ones left on FA market and ASSUMING we are able to re-sign McDougald, that still leaves us w/ Tandy/Conte competing for the other spot. That would be depressing if we went the entire offseason and failed to upgrade the talent level there.

Um.... I drafted two safeties....
Doctor

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:40 pm

That would be an epic haul, but not sure how realistic it is.

Jones is likely the 2nd CB off the board and goes top 15 IMO.

JuJu might slip to the 2nd, but early 2nd.

Foreman only slid s to the 3rd if that foot injury is a bigger issue than being let on.

Roberts doesn't go later than the 4th, and probably Day 2 at that.
real bucs fan

Postby Cheb » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:49 pm

I really like Sidney Jones, and not only because his first name is an easiest anagram for Disney I've seen in a long time. He's competitive, he's scrappy, and he is excellent at making plays on the ball. I know he's a little on the lighter side, but honestly all of our corners are. We aren't the Seahawks, and that's okay. Jones is good against the run and great against the pass. While he may not be one of the top two guys as a rookie, he very well could out-compete our current roster. Even if he is the guy who comes in on nickel, I think that VH3 would slide to the slot and let Jones match up on their guy outside. That's not a bad idea. However such things would play out, he's a great corner with great skills and I'll think he'll do great here. Love the pick, props for not going with the usual suspects.

I have been a homer for JuJu for awhile now. He's a faster Laquon Treadwell and compares very favorably to Anquan Boldin. If he had played in the SEC and/or with more consistent quarterbacks, he would be a shoe-in for a first rounder. He needs to work on the finer aspects of running routes, but with Evans and DeSean giving him pointers, I see no reason why he couldn't. He immediately becomes one of the better number 3 receivers in the league, and is more than able/willing to do the dirty work in the middle of the field. He has sure, strong hands, and will be another reliable weapon for Mr Winston.

Foreman would be a great contributor to the committee, and would definitely add more power to our rushing attack. He needs refinement in the passing game, especially as a blocker. One could surmise that because he is such a liability as a pass blocker, putting him in the game tips the hand of the offense. Nevermind all that. As Cadillac Williams proved, you can improve as a pass blocker with time and effort, and I don't think anyone is questioning Foreman's work ethic. He may not be The Man for awhile, but he can give us quality snaps, deepening a shallow position on the roster. Another #WeaponforWinston

Another small school defensive back? Sigh. Oh well. It's hard to evaluate these guys, because the level of competition isn't much better than high school in some cases. I dunno. He looked good in the Senior Bowl, I remember that. But how does he stack up athletically? He's not big, not fast, not explosive. Not much of anything, really. At the combine this year, among all the safeties, he scored at the very bottom of every drill he performed. That's right, the worst times and scores of all participating safeties. He only competed in four drills, else he probably would have been crowned combine's biggest loser. For those keeping score at home, he had the the slowest 40 yard dash, fewest bench reps, slowest 3-cone drill, and slowest 20-yard shuffle. I'm not sure I trust a guy that unathletic to be an NFL safety. Combine that with hesitation on film, waiting to read and react (which he's great at, don't get me wrong, excellent instincts to be sure), and I think he is going to be burned over and over and over again. I don't support Lorenzo Jerome. Sorry.

Chase Roullier, Mike Roberts, and Montae Nicholson all have interesting traits as late rounders.

All in all, a good draft. Perhaps a bit unrealistic, because that's alot of sliding there. That Lorenzo pick, tho.
Cheb

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:55 pm

Doctor wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:The mindset that your 1st round MUST have an immediate comes with being a fan of perennial bad franchise. Grimes is old and you need more than 2 CBs in the NFL these days anyways, so it's not as if a 1st round CB would not see the field for us.

Um.... I drafted two safeties....

Sorry, my bad... stopped reading after the 6th w/ Roberts. My complaint would still be we waited too long for a Safety given the current status of our roster/depthchart. But starting two would add some needed competition. I just don't want to start Tandy or Conte next season. Good mock though.. I think CB is real possibility in Rd 1.
DreadNaught

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:38 pm

DreadNaught wrote:The mindset that your 1st round MUST have an immediate comes with being a fan of perennial bad franchise

Probably the dumbest thing I've read all day.

I fundamentally disagree in every way imaginable.

Even the Patriots are looking for an impact player who can start right away.

I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:15 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:The mindset that your 1st round MUST have an immediate comes with being a fan of perennial bad franchise

Probably the dumbest thing I've read all day.

I fundamentally disagree in every way imaginable.

Even the Patriots are looking for an impact player who can start right away.

I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Every team hopes that rookies can come in an have an immediate impact. What Dread is saying and what I agree with, is if you're in a position where you feel you absolutely NEED a rookie savior, then you're in trouble. That leads to major reaches and bad decisions. Also leads to a lack in developing players. That's why we've seen a number of our players "bust" here then go on to do better in other cities. We're moving in a position under Licht where we are no long heavily dependant on rookie of the year candidates. Your example of the Pats is wrong. Belichick rarely depends on rookies. As do a number of teams.
Bootz2004

Postby mdb1958 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:33 pm

How good the player is, will dictate the outcome. However there are veteran laced teams that will make you pay your dues.
mdb1958

Postby Pewterslimsme » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:38 pm

Pewterslimsme

Postby mdb1958 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:41 pm

Think about it, have we drafted 1st rounders to challenge older 1st rounders?
mdb1958

Postby MJW » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:11 am

Solid, realistic. Love Jones. Lukewarm on JJSS (I don't trust USC receivers.) Foreman is basically Blount, which in the 3rd is fine. Roullier is a good call. I've watched A LOT of Wyoming football for some reason and I think he's a good one. Not bad. I'd like it better if we went a different direction in the 2nd.
MJW

Postby BucNation » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:40 pm

Stephen Cohen‏Verified account @scohenPI 30m30 minutes ago
More
Washington CB Sidney Jones, consensus first-round NFL draft prospect, leaves pro day on a cart after suffering apparent left leg injury.

Others are saying it's significant. Wow.
BucNation

Postby Super K » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:57 pm

BucNation wrote:Stephen Cohen‏Verified account @scohenPI 30m30 minutes ago
More
Washington CB Sidney Jones, consensus first-round NFL draft prospect, leaves pro day on a cart after suffering apparent left leg injury.

Others are saying it's significant. Wow.

Damn..that sucks...my prayers go out to the kid...
Super K

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:22 pm

Getting Jones in the 2nd would be epic. Let him rehab for a year then he can replace Grimes.

But this injury definitely hurts us at 19- Jones going top 18 pushed someone else down to us.
real bucs fan

Postby Doctor » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:38 pm

real bucs fan wrote:Getting Jones in the 2nd would be epic. Let him rehab for a year then he can replace Grimes.

But this injury definitely hurts us at 19- Jones going top 18 pushed someone else down to us.

That would be a miracle, but if Myles Jack can slide anyone can. If anything this assures he'll be there at 19 at least.
Doctor

Postby Kress » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:38 am

mdb1958 wrote:Think about it, have we drafted 1st rounders to challenge older 1st rounders?

Think about the post immediately preceding yours.
Kress

Postby Kress » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:39 am

Silly me. I said think.
Kress

Postby mdb1958 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:00 am

Kress wrote:Silly me. I said think.
I apologize, I didnt think we drafted Grimes.
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:09 am

After thinking and realizing I didnt state a 1st rounder that we drafted. I come up with this, if a 1st rounder slides to the 2nd round do you just pretend he's a first rounder...

Plus we would have to give Grimes another contract in order for Jones to challenge him after sitting out a year rehabbing.
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:12 am

And he reholsters his six shooter with smoke still drifting out of the barrel.
mdb1958

Postby Kress » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:18 am

And then the holstered gun fires directly into his foot as it hits him that the post had nothing to do with Grimes.
Kress

Postby terrytate » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:34 am

Not bad at all. I think I'd prefer Marlon Humphrey at 19 though, even before the injury. We have a bunch of smaller corners, Humphrey has the size, physicality AND the speed. I am assuming he'll be there as most mocks have him going right at 20-24. I'd be ok with a premier DB talent at 19.

Am I the only one that views TE as a big need though? Brate is fine and all, but he is not likely to ever be an elite talent. There is no reason to limit yourself to one good TE anyway. This draft is loaded with premium TE prospects, I really want one in the early rounds. Whether that comes in the form of Howard in the first or Hodges, Shaheen or Butt in the 2nd or 3rd, this is too good to pass up. We could potentially run a 2WR/2TE/1RB set of Evans, Djackson as the WR's, Howard and Brate as the TE's and Dougie/Quizz/Foreman/SIms as the RB. That would be an abjectly terrifying and extremely versatile set of players. We could do everything from run power to attack the deep zone with Evans, Jackson and Howard.
Last edited by terrytate on Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
terrytate

Postby mdb1958 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:55 am

Kress wrote:And then the holstered gun fires directly into his foot as it hits him that the post had nothing to do with Grimes.

You win. I have no clue what the pic means.
mdb1958

Next

Return to College Football/Draft Talk