After The Combine Sim Draft

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
After The Combine Sim Draft

Postby Captainjimbo » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:28 pm

I would (almost) never trade my first pick as there is to much value in this particular draft to do so. I did trade back in the second and third and this is how it panned out. I realize this not how things work but I sure loved the outcome. Since I respect the the knowledge (for the most part) on this board I'd like to hear opinions. Lay it on me!

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 19: Jamal Adams, SS, LSU (A+)
Round 2 Pick 23 (NYG): David Njoku, TE, Miami (Fla.) (A)
Round 3 Pick 17 (WASH): Tyler Orlosky, C, West Virginia (A)
Round 3 Pick 23 (NYG): Chris Wormley, DT, Michigan (A+)
Round 4 Pick 7 (WASH): Chris Godwin, WR, Penn State (A+)
Round 4 Pick 17 (WASH): Wayne Gallman, RB, Clemson (A-)
Round 4 Pick 19: Tanoh Kpassagnon, DE, Villanova (A)
Round 5 Pick 18: Danny Isidora, OG, Miami (Fla.) (A+)
Round 6 Pick 20: Ryan Switzer, WR, North Carolina (B+)
Round 7 Pick 19: Brendan Langley, CB, Lamar (TX) (B-)
Captainjimbo

Re: After The Combine Sim Draft

Postby mdb1958 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:27 pm

The players, some of are alright, arent the problem. The problem is it being realistic.
mdb1958

Postby Watchout4Bucs » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:21 pm

Does that combine hurt Jamal Adams? He put up some very pedestrian numbers. What does he do that Marcus Williams can't?
Watchout4Bucs

Postby Brazen331 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:38 pm

Watchout4Bucs wrote:Does that combine hurt Jamal Adams? He put up some very pedestrian numbers. What does he do that Marcus Williams can't?

A 6'1 213 pound SS who can run a 4.56 combined with his tape equals a top 10 pick. He is such a phenomenal football player that he pretty much just needs to check the boxes at the combine. Perhaps Budda ran into the 1st by clocking in the 4.4s but he is like 3 inches shorter and 30 pounds lighter than Adams.
Brazen331

Postby Cheb » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:34 pm

Watchout4Bucs wrote:Does that combine hurt Jamal Adams? He put up some very pedestrian numbers. What does he do that Marcus Williams can't?

I hope people think Adams had such a bad combine that he drops to 19. The dude is a bonafide stud. I've compared his play to Eric Berry, and that's not a comparison I make lightly. Jamal Adams is a a ***damn beast.

Marcus Williams is a finesse player who is more lucky than good. He doesn't jump off the tape. He's just the guy who is there when a quarterback overthrows it very badly or underthrows it very badly. His tackling is so soft it's downright Piscitellian. I wouldnt even want to draft him, truthfully. He is so lacking in physicality it's a bit painful.

Fun fact: in double-checking the spelling of Piscitelli, Google informed me that our draft bust is now a professional wrestler. Huh.

That 2007 draft, though. A bust at defensive end who died too young, a bust at guard who had mental problems, a bust at safety who now wrestles, an underwhelming linebacker who was all sizzle and no steak, another bust at safety who smoked himself out of the league, and a bunch of dudes no one remembers. The highlight of the class was Adam Hayward.

I had high hopes after that draft. Just goes to show you never can tell.

Sorry to derail things a bit.
Cheb

Postby Captainjimbo » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:48 pm

mdb1958 wrote:The players, some of are alright, arent the problem. The problem is it being realistic.

Maybe not so realistic with the extra picks which obviously changes everything but I would think where the players were drafted except maybe Adams (but who knows) it's not unrealistic at all. What this makes me realize is just how much talent there is in this years draft from top to bottom. If we pick wisely BPA at position of need. we very well could end up with 3 possibly 4 players that contribute/start from day one. I don't know if that's a reflection of how many holes we have or how deep this draft is but probably a combination of both. With the 19th pick we will have the choice of drafting a potential starter at RB, WR, SS, DE, TE, T and maybe other positions.

If we just make the right pick at 19 and are somehow able to trade back in the 2nd round this draft could literally be a game changer. I like DE in the first unless someone like Adams or C. Davis falls to us. I can't ever remember thinking there was going to be a projected top tier DE in the mid to back half of the first round. I'm just happy we don't need a QB this year!
Captainjimbo

Postby Teitan » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:45 am

I don't see any reason to trade back in this draft. This is one of the better drafts in recent years. I'd be more for trading back up INTO the second round to get a guy that will inevitably be falling due to the depth at several positions this year.
Teitan

Postby mdb1958 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:48 am

Teitan wrote:I don't see any reason to trade back in this draft. This is one of the better drafts in recent years. I'd be more for trading back up INTO the second round to get a guy that will inevitably be falling due to the depth at several positions this year.

I guess time will tell, but if the picks go like they are ranked who is it that your so excited about? Every year its the same thing and then when you look back on past drafts so many of those picks are who really gives a crap.

Farther back I see TE's who would work great for us. I see DE's I'd rather have. I see Safeties that arent there until later. Who knows how the cornerbacks will fly off the board, but we could hit there and still get extra.

I'd like to readdress this after they change the line up.

As it stands right now though if I could get both of Clevelands 2nds and I picked (Reddick/Bolles/Shaheen), Obi, and Engram and then picked Derek Rivers or Jordan Willis with my 3rd pick I think that would be killin it...

If an offer is made that benefits us - you would have to consider it.
mdb1958

Postby Buc2 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:51 am

Cheb wrote:His tackling is so soft it's downright Piscitellian.

Ha! Very nice.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Captainjimbo » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:51 am

Teitan wrote:I don't see any reason to trade back in this draft. This is one of the better drafts in recent years. I'd be more for trading back up INTO the second round to get a guy that will inevitably be falling due to the depth at several positions this year.

The obvious reason is more picks. If there is not a player you feel good about when you pick there is no need to reach, assuming you can find a trade partner. Like I said before there is talent and value throughout the draft.
Captainjimbo

Postby Teitan » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:22 am

Captainjimbo wrote:

The obvious reason is more picks. If there is not a player you feel good about when you pick there is no need to reach, assuming you can find a trade partner. Like I said before there is talent and value throughout the draft.

Well, I'm well aware that you trade to pick up picks. Also that you generally do it when there isn't a player on your board that you want at that spot. My point was, that in this draft there will definitely be good players there. There are guys that would be first rounders other years that are going to be pushed to the 2nd round.
Teitan

Postby Captainjimbo » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:24 pm

Teitan wrote:
Captainjimbo wrote:

Well, I'm well aware that you trade to pick up picks. Also that you generally do it when there isn't a player on your board that you want at that spot. My point was, that in this draft there will definitely be good players there. There are guys that would be first rounders other years that are going to be pushed to the 2nd round.

I agree with everything your saying. Especially about good players dropping to us. I do believe that the talent level drops more from the 1st round to the 2nd round than it does from the second to the third round. I probably couldn't bring myself to trade out of the 1st round but would consider a spot or two possibly. So if you can move back a few spots in the second and pick up an extra third with the high talent level of this draft how could you go wrong. If there's someone sitting there in the 2nd round that I'm in love with and he fills a high priority need you have to take him. If we didn't have so many holes I would go BPA almost exclusively. What I'm getting at is whatever you do never reach for a player because of need. Hopefully that M-O is a thing of the past.
Captainjimbo

Return to College Football/Draft Talk