Should the Bucs draft a quarterback this year?

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Re: Should the Bucs draft a quarterback this year?

Postby mdb1958 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:40 am

We got one now who will be on his 3rd year in the system. Are we to assume a late round rookie can come in and do better?

How many spots take up the qb position this year? I always thought we were keeping three just in case we could deal Glennon ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- for two years...
mdb1958

Postby MJW » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:30 pm

bearlandbucfan wrote:Backup QB is becoming an increasingly-important roster position. Winston is definitely the entrenched starter, but we all know injuries can change teams even before the first regular season snap. I'm not really keen on the idea of RGB III or some of the other backup prospects in FA right now. I fully expect we will draft a QB.

For me, the best possible reality is Winston, Jay Cutler, and someone like the aforementioned Josh Dobbs.

(Hikes Up Pants) Back in my day, you had your no-questions-asked Starter. Then you had your backup who could start for a handful of teams. Then you had your promising pup you were growing on the 3rd string.

Every time Licht does something really great, like the D-Jax and Baker signings, or even re-upping Gholston and Josh Robinson, he does something baffling, like re-signing Joe Hawley, or making zero apparent effort to find a better backup than Ryan "I'd be a backup in the AFL2" Griffin.
MJW

Postby Nano » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:48 pm

We offered Glennon 7 mil a year to stay, and were linked as being interested in both Hoyer and Foles before they signed. Saying we've made zero effort is wrong.
Nano

Postby terrytate » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:12 am

MJW wrote:
bearlandbucfan wrote:Backup QB is becoming an increasingly-important roster position. Winston is definitely the entrenched starter, but we all know injuries can change teams even before the first regular season snap. I'm not really keen on the idea of RGB III or some of the other backup prospects in FA right now. I fully expect we will draft a QB.

For me, the best possible reality is Winston, Jay Cutler, and someone like the aforementioned Josh Dobbs.

(Hikes Up Pants) Back in my day, you had your no-questions-asked Starter. Then you had your backup who could start for a handful of teams. Then you had your promising pup you were growing on the 3rd string.

Every time Licht does something really great, like the D-Jax and Baker signings, or even re-upping Gholston and Josh Robinson, he does something baffling, like re-signing Joe Hawley, or making zero apparent effort to find a better backup than Ryan "I'd be a backup in the AFL2" Griffin.

The only problem with your lineup is that Jay Cutler is never going to sign on to be a backup. Never, in fact, I fully expect him to be starting somewhere this year. If we get a new backup, it will be of the Fitzpatrick, Geno Smith, EJ Manuel brand.
terrytate

Postby mdb1958 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:05 am

Please dont carry 3 QB's on our roster this year.
mdb1958

Postby MJW » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:23 am

mdb1958 wrote:Please dont carry 3 QB's on our roster this year.

I have an open mind, but why are you opposed? I know it's not what most teams are doing right now, but to me QBs are a great investment.
MJW

Postby mdb1958 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:36 am

MJW wrote:
mdb1958 wrote:Please dont carry 3 QB's on our roster this year.

I have an open mind, but why are you opposed? I know it's not what most teams are doing right now, but to me QBs are a great investment.

I'd rather see 2 CB,S,TE,DE, any of these we could easily make room for. And it shows me we are looking ahead. In the event we arent able to secure prospects like we would want, I'd still put QB way back on the list unless it was to show Winston how a rook can impress with throwing a long ball.

Furthermore, I cant think of many fruitful investments in our history or the reason to start the trend this year. We may grow em, but in the end we more or less give em away - and thats all positions.
mdb1958

Postby Naismith » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:34 am

mdb1958 wrote:Furthermore, I cant think of many fruitful investments in our history or the reason to start the trend this year. We may grow em, but in the end we more or less give em away - and thats all positions.

That's because you're not considering the actual contribution to the team as a return on investment. They didn't use a third round pick on Glennon and then get nothing for him. They used a third round pick on Glennon and got four years of service for him. Whatever offers they had for him a year ago, they didn't think were worth more than one additional year with him as a backup, plus the chance to exclusively negotiate with him to stay on for a second contract plus whatever compensatory value they could get if he walked as a free agent.

On the compensatory front, it will most likely come down to what McDougald gets as right now, the Bucs have brought in DJax, Baker, Wilcox which offset the losses of Glennon, Shepard and Spence. There are certain bonuses and contract structures that impact the way a player counts against the formula so I guess it's possible that DJax could be considered a fourth round comp which would then preserve Glennon's third round pick, but that seems highly unlikely and the most likely scenario is that the best pick the Bucs could hope for would be in McDougald getting a decent contract.
Naismith

Postby mdb1958 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:46 am

Most everyone knows with Glennon it was more like ------------------------------------ time served.
mdb1958

Previous

Return to College Football/Draft Talk