Combine News

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Re: Combine News

Postby Super K » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:53 pm

Ross is freaking lightning in a bottle, as we all knew..

Rudolph underwhelms with his 40 time..just as I expected...
Super K

Postby Super K » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:55 pm

theBKwhopper wrote:Interesting that we haven't yet met with Corey Davis, OJ Howard or DeMarcus Walker, though we have met with Carroll Phillips(DE,Illinois) THREE times.

Never heard of the dude..

That's what happens when you play on a crap team, with a crap record and a crap D..
Super K

Postby Super K » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:02 pm

From all the results at all positions, it looks like the 40 is a slow track this year...

I'd bet that it's off .05 to .1 of everyone's true time...

Which makes what Ross just did even more epic...
Super K

Postby theBKwhopper » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:07 pm

Super K wrote:
theBKwhopper wrote:Interesting that we haven't yet met with Corey Davis, OJ Howard or DeMarcus Walker, though we have met with Carroll Phillips(DE,Illinois) THREE times.

That's what happens when you play on a crap team, with a crap record and a crap D..

He's 6'3" and 240lbs. Pretty small for a DE.
theBKwhopper

Postby Super K » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:18 pm

theBKwhopper wrote:
Super K wrote:

He's 6'3" and 240lbs. Pretty small for a DE.

Had to Google him..first thought I had as well...

Maybe they are looking at him for SLB?

Considering we will bring in a bunch of guys for individual visits/interviews, maybe Licht is using this time to speak with some other, lesser targets now?

Just spitballing here..
Super K

Postby Nano » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:23 pm

Wonder if he'll become our Dan Vitale this year. Wasn't a surprise when we drafted him considering the amount of interest we showed to him in the pre-draft process.
Nano

Postby Brazen331 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:39 pm

Cheb wrote:
Brazen331 wrote:I agree. I am not advocating for the guy. I don't want to worry about those reconstructed knees.

He had 1150 yards and seventeen touchdowns last season on those reconstructed knees.

Just saying.

There's no doubting the production nor the current functionality of the knees. And he is pretty much the prototype of what you want opposite Evans. If we are interested in DJax then we are probably interested in Ross. But I just don't see him sliding to 19 now. Some of these scouts had him at 4.19.
Brazen331

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:48 pm

Following a bit from my phone at Miami airport waiting for a connecting flight-

Man, this WR group ain't playing around!
real bucs fan

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:58 pm

Ross definitely going top 20 at this point.

Also Howard matched Fournette at an even heavier weight. Beast.
real bucs fan

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:11 pm

Glad to see people's love of equating 40 times with pro performance hasn't changed. Al Davis is smiling today.
Bootz2004

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:18 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:Glad to see people's love of equating 40 times with pro performance hasn't changed. Al Davis is smiling today.

Who said that?
real bucs fan

Postby Naismith » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:59 pm

I don't think Ross' time helped him that much. I think anyone that wasn't interested in him in round one before this weekend already knew he was super fast.
Naismith

Postby Super K » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:53 pm

Naismith wrote:I don't think Ross' time helped him that much. I think anyone that wasn't interested in him in round one before this weekend already knew he was super fast.

Running a 4.22 is BEYOND super fast..

Coupled with some pretty damn good production (at least last year), this ain't the normal "fast guy who can only run" enigma...
Super K

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:58 pm

Super K wrote:
Naismith wrote:I don't think Ross' time helped him that much. I think anyone that wasn't interested in him in round one before this weekend already knew he was super fast.

Coupled with some pretty damn good production (at least last year), this ain't the normal "fast guy who can only run" enigma...

Keep in mind that it's in shorts. We already knew he was super fast and could play. But I think what Naismith is saying is that this doesn't catapult him into top 10 discussion. I agree with that.
Bootz2004

Postby Super K » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:04 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Super K wrote:

Keep in mind that it's in shorts. We already knew he was super fast and could play. But I think what Naismith is saying is that this doesn't catapult him into top 10 discussion. I agree with that.

Oh I agree with that as well..

But some saw him falling into the 2nd round, including the Mock you guys did/are doing...

That ain't happening...

And him running it in shorts is moot..EVERYONE since the dawn of the combine has ran the thing in shorts..the guy has legendary speed..end of story..
Super K

Postby Naismith » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:09 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Super K wrote:

I don't think it catapults him anywhere. It's great testing and will confirm for people what they saw on tape but it's answering a question that no one had. The other questions aren't answered it by it. If he does go in the top ten or top twenty or whatever, he would have gone in the top ten or top twenty even if he didn't run at the combine.
Naismith

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:15 pm

The guy just broke the combine 40 record on a slow track with a late stumble.

This isn't just fast, its fastest in the game fast.
real bucs fan

Postby Naismith » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:19 pm

I predicted a slide to the second round for Dalvin Cook based on off-field stuff as well as fumbling issue, but this was a bad weekend for him that introduced new potential red flags on the field, too.
Naismith

Postby Super K » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:28 pm

Naismith wrote:I predicted a slide to the second round for Dalvin Cook based on off-field stuff as well as fumbling issue, but this was a bad weekend for him that introduced new potential red flags on the field, too.

I hope not..

Because my fear is he is available at #19 and we do something stupid...like take him..

I'll flip the **** out...

And this is coming from one of the board's "FSU Homers"...
Super K

Postby Naismith » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:32 pm

History suggests that no one will take him in the first:

zjwhitman: FSU RB Dalvin Cook tested out in the 9th SPARQ percentile. Weight-adjustment was not kind with the vert/broad/shuttle.

zjwhitman: From 1999-2016, no RB who tested out below the 10th percentile has been drafted in the first round.

Maybe there will be news about an injury that limited him or something. I expected him to test very well.
Naismith

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:56 pm

Super K wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

But some saw him falling into the 2nd round, including the Mock you guys did/are doing...

That ain't happening...

And him running it in shorts is moot..EVERYONE since the dawn of the combine has ran the thing in shorts..the guy has legendary speed..end of story..

I don't think he'll fall to the 2nd. No way. But I thought that before 4.22. I'm not dismissing the time or run at all. It's impressive. But to me it means next to nothing on the field and as far as his draft stock is concerned.
Bootz2004

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:58 pm

Naismith wrote:I predicted a slide to the second round for Dalvin Cook based on off-field stuff as well as fumbling issue, but this was a bad weekend for him that introduced new potential red flags on the field, too.

What potential red flags on the field were introduced? This is my issue with the combine. What did he do today that could have teams questioning the tape he put out at Florida State?
Bootz2004

Postby Naismith » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:18 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:

What potential red flags on the field were introduced? This is my issue with the combine. What did he do today that could have teams questioning the tape he put out at Florida State?

I posted above, but regardless of how successful players are in college, there are still athletic thresholds the NFL teams want to see met. He didn't just test below average, he tested at a level where no one RB has been drafted in the first round in 20 years. Add that to the already existing question marks and I think he's in for a tumble.

Here are the best running backs that tested similarly to Dalvin Cook.

zjwhitman: Best AV RBs who tested out, like Cook, below the 10th percentile: Foster, Lacy, Domanick WIlliams, Reuben Droughns, MIchael Bush.
Naismith

Postby Super K » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:43 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Super K wrote:

That ain't happening...

I don't think he'll fall to the 2nd. No way. But I thought that before 4.22. I'm not dismissing the time or run at all. It's impressive. But to me it means next to nothing on the field and as far as his draft stock is concerned.

Ahhh...gotchya, I misunderstood what you were saying..my bad

The only thing I'd say in regards to the point you ARE making is that Ross' speed does translate onto the field and is functional in what he does..

He's not a track star playing WR..

He's a WR whom could be a track star..
Super K

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:52 pm

Super K wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

The only thing I'd say in regards to the point you ARE making is that Ross' speed does translate onto the field and is functional in what he does..

That's not the point I was making. I know he's fast in pads. That's not debatable.
Bootz2004

Postby Super K » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:53 pm

Anyway, in other WR news, KD Cannon ran well today too...

I'd love to nab him later on the draft..especially if we sign a FA WR (DJAX please!!)..

Evans
DJAX
Humph
Cannon
Shep (if needed)

I like it..I like it a lot..
Super K

Postby Super K » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:56 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Super K wrote:

That's not the point I was making. I know he's fast in pads. That's not debatable.

All right, well then I veered way off somewhere...no worries..no issues..

Just chalk it up to me being dense...I wasn't attempting to start an argument, just BS'n...
Super K

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:09 pm

Super K wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

All right, well then I veered way off somewhere...no worries..no issues..

Just chalk it up to me being dense...I wasn't attempting to start an argument, just BS'n...

Oh no harm. It's all good. Ross is fast. We knew it before today, he just confirmed that he has wheels.
Bootz2004

Postby Pewterslimsme » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:25 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Super K wrote:

Imagine if he ran it nude!
Pewterslimsme

Postby Pewterslimsme » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:25 pm

Ok....stop imagining that now it's getting creepy.
Pewterslimsme

PreviousNext

Return to College Football/Draft Talk