Ranking This Class By Position

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Ranking This Class By Position

Postby MJW » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:13 am

Just for the sake of discussion:

1) Cornerback
This is the best group of corners to come into the league in a long time. We could have 7-8 go in the first round, and perhaps 15 in the first two. There are tall corners, man corners, slot corners, and zone corners. There are top ten talents at the position who might fall to the 2nd round, and that almost never happens at this position. Any team that wants to upgrade at corner should be able to just by using a pick over the first two days.

2) Tight End
Jake Butt's injury stings a bit, but there are still 6-7 guys who could go in the first two rounds. It wouldn't be surprising if a full 1/4th of the league's starting tight ends in 3 years come out off this class. Guys like David Njoku, Bucky Hodges, and Adam Shaheen have the talent to be absolute dynamos.

3)Edge Rusher
Another year, another good group of edge rushers, led by Myles Garrett and Soloman Thomas. In a weaker class, guys like Derek Barnett, Taco Charlton, and Charles Harris would be likely top ten picks.

4) Safety
After several down years at the position, there are at least three rare talents in this class, and another 3 guys I peg as potential future Pro Bowlers.

5) Running Back
There are two guys who seemed destined to be stars with Fournette and Cook, another guy in McCaffrey who has a rare and valuable skill set, two more in Mixon and Kamara who have everything you need to be great, and another half-dozen guys who will be heavy contributors in the league, at worst. It's probably the best group of running backs since maybe 2010.

6) Defensive Tackle
It's not a great year for interior linemen/five techs, but there are a few exciting ones headlined by Jonathan Allen. There are also a bunch of interesting talents like Malik McDowell, KPass, and Caleb Brantley. It's an okay class, not a great one. If you take Allen out of the mix it's downright bad, but IMHO he's one of the best DT prospects to come along this decade so ya gotta give it a bump.

7) Non-Rush Linebacker
There's a special inside linebacker in Rueben Foster and a couple of first round caliber 4-3 outside guys in Reddick and Zach Cunningham. It's a pretty typical mediocre class as the traditional "linebacker" becomes less and less prominent in college football's spread wasteland.

8) Guard/Center
Feeney and Lamp look like first rounders, and Dorian Johnson from Pitt SHOULD be (love the guy.) Ethan Pocic elevates the centers and Elflein will be a nice pivot for a ZBS team. Otherwise it's a meh group that lacks a Zack Martin type.

9) Quarterback
There are three guys considered to be eventual NFL starters, and potentially very good ones. You know their names. There are another 2-3 guys who at least one GM will fall in love with and draft in the 2nd round with hopes of developing. It's honestly better than last year's group, remembering that nobody knew about Dak Prescott then. But while there might be a Matt Stafford to had, there aren't any generational prospects. The highest ceiling and lowest floor both belong with Kizer. Watson has real talent but has consistency issues. Trubisky doesn't have much tape. Pat Mahomes might end up being the best of them, but not until 2019 or so. And Davis Webb has a lot of fans too.

10) Wide Receiver
No Amari Coopers here. Mike Williams has everything necessary to be a true #1 NFL wideout and may get overdrafted because there aren't any other guys like that. Corey Davis is very interesting but he's a huge gamble. He's another guy who should probably go late in the 1st or early in the 2nd (a la the very similar Brian Quick), but he'll probably go top 20 because of the lack of talent. John Ross has speed for days, but little size or health, and will either be a #2 for a team with an established star, or a Tyreek Hill type. Otherwise there are a bunch of guys who look like #2 and #3 NFL receivers to me. I wouldn't be on anyone else in this class becoming a superstar.

11) Tackle
This might be the worst group of offensive tackles I've ever seen. No joke. I'm a fan of Ryan Ramcyzk, but he might be the only clear starting NFL left tackle in this group. And frankly, I don't think he's better than Taylor Decker, who was the 3rd tackle off the board last year. I don't think Cam Robinson, with his lousy technique, is a tackle at all. At least not yet. Garrett Bolles has real talent, but he's a 25 year old one-year starter with character flags. After that, the cupboard is bare, and we'll see guys carrying 4th round grades like Roderick Johnson going in the 2nd.

Thoughts?
MJW

Re: Ranking This Class By Position

Postby mdb1958 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:31 am

This draft is the one where we could have a chance to have our best defensive backfield ever. Might say that about TE too if the players land in the right spot.

I really am interested in Billy Browns combine.
mdb1958

Postby beardmcdoug » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:22 am

MJW wrote:Just for the sake of discussion:

1) Cornerback
This is the best group of corners to come into the league in a long time. We could have 7-8 go in the first round, and perhaps 15 in the first two. There are tall corners, man corners, slot corners, and zone corners. There are top ten talents at the position who might fall to the 2nd round, and that almost never happens at this position. Any team that wants to upgrade at corner should be able to just by using a pick over the first two days.

2) Tight End
Jake Butt's injury stings a bit, but there are still 6-7 guys who could go in the first two rounds. It wouldn't be surprising if a full 1/4th of the league's starting tight ends in 3 years come out off this class. Guys like David Njoku, Bucky Hodges, and Adam Shaheen have the talent to be absolute dynamos.

3)Edge Rusher
Another year, another good group of edge rushers, led by Myles Garrett and Soloman Thomas. In a weaker class, guys like Derek Barnett, Taco Charlton, and Charles Harris would be likely top ten picks.

4) Safety
After several down years at the position, there are at least three rare talents in this class, and another 3 guys I peg as potential future Pro Bowlers.

5) Running Back
There are two guys who seemed destined to be stars with Fournette and Cook, another guy in McCaffrey who has a rare and valuable skill set, two more in Mixon and Kamara who have everything you need to be great, and another half-dozen guys who will be heavy contributors in the league, at worst. It's probably the best group of running backs since maybe 2010.

6) Defensive Tackle
It's not a great year for interior linemen/five techs, but there are a few exciting ones headlined by Jonathan Allen. There are also a bunch of interesting talents like Malik McDowell, KPass, and Caleb Brantley. It's an okay class, not a great one. If you take Allen out of the mix it's downright bad, but IMHO he's one of the best DT prospects to come along this decade so ya gotta give it a bump.

7) Non-Rush Linebacker
There's a special inside linebacker in Rueben Foster and a couple of first round caliber 4-3 outside guys in Reddick and Zach Cunningham. It's a pretty typical mediocre class as the traditional "linebacker" becomes less and less prominent in college football's spread wasteland.

8) Guard/Center
Feeney and Lamp look like first rounders, and Dorian Johnson from Pitt SHOULD be (love the guy.) Ethan Pocic elevates the centers and Elflein will be a nice pivot for a ZBS team. Otherwise it's a meh group that lacks a Zack Martin type.

9) Quarterback
There are three guys considered to be eventual NFL starters, and potentially very good ones. You know their names. There are another 2-3 guys who at least one GM will fall in love with and draft in the 2nd round with hopes of developing. It's honestly better than last year's group, remembering that nobody knew about Dak Prescott then. But while there might be a Matt Stafford to had, there aren't any generational prospects. The highest ceiling and lowest floor both belong with Kizer. Watson has real talent but has consistency issues. Trubisky doesn't have much tape. Pat Mahomes might end up being the best of them, but not until 2019 or so. And Davis Webb has a lot of fans too.

10) Wide Receiver
No Amari Coopers here. Mike Williams has everything necessary to be a true #1 NFL wideout and may get overdrafted because there aren't any other guys like that. Corey Davis is very interesting but he's a huge gamble. He's another guy who should probably go late in the 1st or early in the 2nd (a la the very similar Brian Quick), but he'll probably go top 20 because of the lack of talent. John Ross has speed for days, but little size or health, and will either be a #2 for a team with an established star, or a Tyreek Hill type. Otherwise there are a bunch of guys who look like #2 and #3 NFL receivers to me. I wouldn't be on anyone else in this class becoming a superstar.

11) Tackle
This might be the worst group of offensive tackles I've ever seen. No joke. I'm a fan of Ryan Ramcyzk, but he might be the only clear starting NFL left tackle in this group. And frankly, I don't think he's better than Taylor Decker, who was the 3rd tackle off the board last year. I don't think Cam Robinson, with his lousy technique, is a tackle at all. At least not yet. Garrett Bolles has real talent, but he's a 25 year old one-year starter with character flags. After that, the cupboard is bare, and we'll see guys carrying 4th round grades like Roderick Johnson going in the 2nd.

Thoughts?

MJW just want to say I've really appreciated your offseason commentary, across all the boards this offseason :drinkingcheers:
beardmcdoug

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:42 am

Depends how you qualify it. The edge group is top heavy, its depth falls off a cliff after the first round.

The RB position on the other hand might be the deepest it's ever been ever.
real bucs fan

Postby Naismith » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:10 am

real bucs fan wrote:The edge group is top heavy, its depth falls off a cliff after the first round.

This isn't what I've seen reported about the edge group.

What I've gathered from the guys that cover the draft, it's basically EDGE, CBs, TEs and RBs as the best and deepest groups with QBs, OTs and DTs on the other end.
Naismith

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:42 am

Naismith wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:The edge group is top heavy, its depth falls off a cliff after the first round.

This isn't what I've seen reported about the edge group.

What I've gathered from the guys that cover the draft, it's basically EDGE, CBs, TEs and RBs as the best and deepest groups with QBs, OTs and DTs on the other end.

I haven't really looked at the rush LBs, but from a 4-3 DE perspective, I see the 5 first rounders MJW mentioned, Carl Lawson, Demarcus Walker, and then a whole lot of nothing.
real bucs fan

Postby Konatown » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:47 am

I actually think WR should be higher. It's lacking a Elite talent (though Williams and Davis should eventually be WR1s), but it's got WR2/3 depth throughout the class.

Williams, Davis, Ross, Smith-Schuster, Kupp, Jones, Reynolds, Hansen, Ford, Westbrook should all go in the first 3 rounds.
Konatown

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:56 am

Konatown wrote:I actually think WR should be higher. It's lacking a Elite talent (though Williams and Davis should eventually be WR1s), but it's got WR2/3 depth throughout the class.

Williams, Davis, Ross, Smith-Schuster, Kupp, Jones, Reynolds, Hansen, Ford, Westbrook should all go in the first 3 rounds.

I agree, the Day 2 depth at WR is excellent.

I think this would be better done if we ranked the positions by Day (ie Day1, Day2, Day3).
real bucs fan

Postby terrytate » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:23 am

The thing I love about this years draft is that the deepest positions in it are all spots of real need for us. Safety is our weakest position, we still can use more rushers and CB's and I'd love to get another big time talent at TE after the demise of ASJ.
terrytate

Postby MJW » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:27 am

terrytate wrote:The thing I love about this years draft is that the deepest positions in it are all spots of real need for us. Safety is our weakest position, we still can use more rushers and CB's and I'd love to get another big time talent at TE after the demise of ASJ.

I really wish we were in a position to get a real left tackle or a Co-number-one wideout to help Evans. Especially the tackle. What you say is true for the most part but this is a suck year if OBP wants to upgrade our line (which god-willing they do, right?)

That said, if we play this draft to the bone with it's strengths, we can likely find 4 guys who will be starting (or contributing heavily) at various spots by 2019.
MJW

Postby Doctor » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:49 am

Indeed. While no clear cut Calvin Johnson or anything, this draft has a plethora of WR talent. There was no CJ in the 2014 draft and that was a hell of a WR draft.
Doctor

Postby DraftLine » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:26 am

real bucs fan wrote:Depends how you qualify it. The edge group is top heavy, its depth falls off a cliff after the first round.

Well I hope we get a guy like Demarcus Walker in the Second.
DraftLine

Postby Nano » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:16 am

Doctor wrote:Indeed. While no clear cut Calvin Johnson or anything, this draft has a plethora of WR talent. There was no CJ in the 2014 draft and that was a hell of a WR draft.

CJ was a once in a decade type talent though. Probably could've gotten into the HOF if he didn't retire early
Nano

Postby Noles1724 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:21 am

DraftLine wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:Depends how you qualify it. The edge group is top heavy, its depth falls off a cliff after the first round.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Walker go in the top 15.. 2nd rd.. you're nuts
Noles1724

Postby Naismith » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:41 am

Noles1724 wrote:
DraftLine wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised to see Walker go in the top 15.. 2nd rd.. you're nuts

I wouldn't be surprised if he went in the first round because of how important the position is, how it only takes one team to fall in love with a prospect, but I've seen him projected 2nd-3rd round far more than first.

Matt Miller has Walker as his 86th ranked player. Tony Pauline has him as the 13th rated DE and with a fifth round grade. Mayock doesn't have him as a top five DE (not sure if he has expanded rankings). McShay doesn't have him in his top 32. Mel Kiper had him as his tenth ranked DE.
Naismith

Postby Konatown » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:04 pm

Nano wrote:
Doctor wrote:Indeed. While no clear cut Calvin Johnson or anything, this draft has a plethora of WR talent. There was no CJ in the 2014 draft and that was a hell of a WR draft.

CJ was a once in a decade type talent though. Probably could've gotten into the HOF if he didn't retire early

Even though he retired early, I'll be shocked if he's not a 1st ballot HOF.

If Terrell ****ing Davis is a HOF player, Megatron will be.
Konatown

Postby Konatown » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:06 pm

I've also seen Demarcus Walker with a lower grade, which I don't understand. Every time I watched him he was wreaking havoc.

If we somehow get him in the 2nd we should all be thrilled.
Konatown

Postby MJW » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:22 pm

Konatown wrote:I've also seen Demarcus Walker with a lower grade, which I don't understand. Every time I watched him he was wreaking havoc.

If we somehow get him in the 2nd we should all be thrilled.

I see him as a 3 Tech more than an end, but I agree...really underrated. If he came here I'd want to see him next to McCoy inside on passing downs.

Another guy I'm a huge fan of, on a tangent, is Dorian Johnson, the guard from Pitt. That kid is going to be really, really good. I don't think we're going guard with Sweezy cleared, but if there are doubts he'd be awesome in the 2nd.
MJW

Postby Naismith » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:28 pm

I saw him called a better Jonathan Bullard by someone. I really wanted Bullard last year as I like that outside-inside ability.
Naismith

Postby Konatown » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:37 pm

Looks like a rich mans Robert Ayers. Could be nice to let him rotate a year then take over as the LE on 1st/2nd down and kicked inside on 3rd.
Konatown

Postby GameTime » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:03 pm

Id make him a fulltime UT. Mccoy aint getting younger and as shanahan pointed out, he gets fatigued. He also has a tendency to get nicked up most weeks.
GameTime

Return to College Football/Draft Talk