Could get interesting

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Could get interesting

Postby mdb1958 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:31 am

Comp picks can be traded this year so I expect a lot of wheeling and dealing.
mdb1958

Re: Could get interesting

Postby MJW » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:53 am

I never really understood comp picks. Presumably the team losing the player enjoyed the benefit of 4-5 years of production at a rock-bottom price. Why are they being rewarded for not paying him?
MJW

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:50 am

I didn't know that. This could be interesting this year.
Bootz2004

Postby mdb1958 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:56 am

Bootz2004 wrote:I didn't know that. This could be interesting this year.

The 4 round mock by Chad Reuter shows Cleveland getting 2 comps in the fourth, who knows what the 5,6,and 7th will bring. Broncos get 2 in the third round. If the shelves get picked, I could see us moving into the low 30's. It brings us closer to some guards, safety, defensive linemen and a couple other positions. KC gets 2 in the 4th.

As usual - if a partner can be had...

Plus I always think about letting the guy right below us a chance to move up one - for a late pick if I'm not thrilled.
mdb1958

Postby Doctor » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:13 pm

MJW wrote:I never really understood comp picks. Presumably the team losing the player enjoyed the benefit of 4-5 years of production at a rock-bottom price. Why are they being rewarded for not paying him?

To keep the league competitive. The idea is that a team lost what is a pretty darn good player. If they signed themselves a good player too they don't get a comp pick. If they didn't, the idea is that they are now hurt for it, which hurts parity and a little comp pick could help. Now, you could say "Hey, it's their own fault they didn't sign that player", which is true, but its also the organization own fault they suck balls- but they still get the top pick in the draft if they do.

Also, in a process that is a total crapshoot, a bonus 3rd rounder isn't exactly groundbreaking. Just another scratch off ticket.
Doctor

Postby Caradoc » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:52 pm

Doctor wrote:
MJW wrote:I never really understood comp picks. Presumably the team losing the player enjoyed the benefit of 4-5 years of production at a rock-bottom price. Why are they being rewarded for not paying him?

To keep the league competitive. The idea is that a team lost what is a pretty darn good player. If they signed themselves a good player too they don't get a comp pick. If they didn't, the idea is that they are now hurt for it, which hurts parity and a little comp pick could help. Now, you could say "Hey, it's their own fault they didn't sign that player", which is true, but its also the organization own fault they suck balls- but they still get the top pick in the draft if they do.

Also, in a process that is a total crapshoot, a bonus 3rd rounder isn't exactly groundbreaking. Just another scratch off ticket.

Another scratch off ticket other teams don't get.

I have problems with "why give them the pick" and I son't see it as "enhancing competitiveness". Of the first 11 picks, 7 went to teams that were in the playoffs within the last 2 years, and another to Baltimore. It seems more of a "rich get richer" than "parity" concept.

Another problem is that it doesn't just "compensate" someone with extra goodies. It also penalizes everyone below them. Our 4th round pick is now 11 spots lower than it "should" be without comp picks. Our 5th is 17 spots lower, over half a round.

The whole comp pick thing just spits in the eye of the supposed dedication to parity.
Caradoc

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:02 pm

Caradoc wrote:
Doctor wrote:To keep the league competitive. The idea is that a team lost what is a pretty darn good player. If they signed themselves a good player too they don't get a comp pick. If they didn't, the idea is that they are now hurt for it, which hurts parity and a little comp pick could help. Now, you could say "Hey, it's their own fault they didn't sign that player", which is true, but its also the organization own fault they suck balls- but they still get the top pick in the draft if they do.

I have problems with "why give them the pick" and I son't see it as "enhancing competitiveness". Of the first 11 picks, 7 went to teams that were in the playoffs within the last 2 years, and another to Baltimore. It seems more of a "rich get richer" than "parity" concept.

Another problem is that it doesn't just "compensate" someone with extra goodies. It also penalizes everyone below them. Our 4th round pick is now 11 spots lower than it "should" be without comp picks. Our 5th is 17 spots lower, over half a round.

The whole comp pick thing just spits in the eye of the supposed dedication to parity.

I never thought about it like that. I would be curious to see if that is a trend.

If so, I would be forced to agree with you.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby mdb1958 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:49 pm

If you maintain your rosters and end up with a growth level with your players you end up being able to let go of players, trade them. You basically get rewarded for being a harvester of talent. And you plan to move on when its time to readjust your payroll.
mdb1958

Postby BucJordan » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:58 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Caradoc wrote:

I never thought about it like that. I would be curious to see if that is a trend.

If so, I would be forced to agree with you.

I'll save you the research - of course it's a trend. Good teams draft and develop talent that eventually outpaces their payroll and they are forced to let good players walk. Crappy teams are the ones signing those guys in an attempt to improve because they are not developing enough of their own talent in house.

I like comp picks. It provides some balance to the draft order itself and actually discourages the signing of big free agents by good teams. If playoff teams manage to keep winning because of a couple extra later picks despite not signing big free agents or ever drafting in the top 20, so be it. They're obviously much better at selecting and developing talent than their peers and deserve to be successful.
BucJordan

Postby Watchout4Bucs » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:17 pm

I 100 percent agree. Add an 8th round and let parody rule. Supplemental draft picks are not an even paying ground. It lets the teams that can draft well stay at the top.
Watchout4Bucs

Postby Caradoc » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:48 pm

Watchout4Bucs wrote:

I 100 percent agree. Add an 8th round and let parody rule. Supplemental draft picks are not an even paying ground. It lets the teams that can draft well stay at the top.

Caradoc

Postby Nano » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:36 pm

No, he obviously means adding an 8th round where you draft players based on their names instead of their playing skills.
Nano

Postby Watchout4Bucs » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:04 am

Parity. You know what I meant. It doesn't change the base argument that supplemental picks are bull crap and should be removed. Supplemental picks add 32 additional picks. Just add another round and give everyone another shot evenly. Where the bad teams get to pick before the good ones. Right now, the 3rd round rolls around and 5 of the best teams get an extra pick before Cleveland gets their 4th round pick.
Watchout4Bucs

Return to College Football/Draft Talk