Todd McShay has us taking John Ross

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Todd McShay has us taking John Ross

Postby tjax03 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:11 pm

Wr out of Washington in his first NFL Mock

What are your thoughts?
tjax03

Re: Todd McShay has us taking John Ross

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:19 pm

tjax03 wrote:Wr out of Washington in his first NFL Mock

What are your thoughts?

I wouldn't hate it. Knee injury is a concern, but he's the speedy type of playmaker we need opposite Evans. He's a guy that teams will have to worry about getting behind them in addition to being a RAC guy on some of the short/underneath routes.
DreadNaught

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:42 pm

tjax03 wrote:Wr out of Washington in his first NFL Mock

What are your thoughts?

McShay just now getting around to doing his draft homework? I've been scouting John Ross since frickin' September.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Super K » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:49 pm

McShay...what a ****ing doofus...

I was all aboard the Ross train early, inviting any and all to join me..

Then I hopped off for a bit near the end of CFB season..

Got back on content that he was gonna be "the guy" until the recent injury/surgery news came out..

Maybe Todd should stop jacking around on the R&K show and put some real work in instead of just using everyone else's to make his initial mocks..
Super K

Postby Cheb » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:59 pm

This board has been mocking him to the Bucs for months.

He checks alot of boxes. Homerun threat, speed for days, explosive kick returner, will definitely demand safety attention, pretty good hands, skilled after the catch, can play in the slot or outside, and he is dangerous on screens and short stuff.

His issues are twofold. First, how will he check out medically, which we can only guess about. Second and more importantly, can he deal with physical cornerbacks? A huge barometer for NFL success at reciever is whether they can beat press man coverage against NFL talent. Alabama little-brothered him all game, and it's concerning as all hell.

If those two questions are answered to our scouts' satisfaction, then I would applaud it. If either of those are a no, I'm wary. If they both are nos, then I'm kinda sad.
Cheb

Postby mdb1958 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:03 pm

From Walter website

Busts:

1) John Ross WR Washington

I loved Ross' grit this season making some tough catches in the playoffs and their lead up to it as a go to receiver. However, I am not ready to make a 5-11 and 190 lb receiver my number one target and first round selection. His speedy style of play will make scouts fall in love with him at the Combine when he lights up the turf, but to me he is a one trick pony on go routes. Maybe, occasionally he can be used during screens and slants his size though makes it a little dangerous for him if he takes a clean shot in those vulnerable passes. He in reality is a smaller version of Corey Coleman from last year who I did not think deserved to go 15th overall with his limited route tree. I think he will find his little niche in the NFL just not really worthy of a first round pick in my opinion since he has a shot to be a Tavon Austin or even worst AJ Jenkins who both had that speed and size issues.
mdb1958

Postby real bucs fan » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:13 pm

It all comes down to health for John Ross. Not only has he had significant injuries to both knees, he now needs labrum surgery.

But the guy is a rare prospect. Not many of the electric burner WR types have the toughness, hands, and natural receiver skills of John Ross.

He'd be perfect- but the injury concerns scare the hell out of me.

It comes down to who else is available. If there's a blue chipper on the board, you take that guy instead. But at 19 we likely have to gamble a little bit anyway, so I'd be fine gambling on Ross.
real bucs fan

Postby Bucs N Beers » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:17 pm

I listen to the First Draft podcast with Todd Mcshay and Mel Kiper. They discuss some interesting stuff but in the latest episode McShay said his latest mock had Corey Davis going #5 to Tennessee and admitted it was really a click bait stunt. I don't like that. All mock drafters do it though. At least he admitted it.

I was on the John Ross wagon pretty firmly at first, even had him in my initial mock, but at this point I don't think I'd want him at 19. I think FA is the way to go for an immediate #2 WR and target Kupp/Ford/Z.Jones or another 2-4 rounder to groom.
Bucs N Beers

Postby tjax03 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:46 pm

mdb1958 wrote:From Walter website

Busts:

I loved Ross' grit this season making some tough catches in the playoffs and their lead up to it as a go to receiver. However, I am not ready to make a 5-11 and 190 lb receiver my number one target and first round selection. His speedy style of play will make scouts fall in love with him at the Combine when he lights up the turf, but to me he is a one trick pony on go routes. Maybe, occasionally he can be used during screens and slants his size though makes it a little dangerous for him if he takes a clean shot in those vulnerable passes. He in reality is a smaller version of Corey Coleman from last year who I did not think deserved to go 15th overall with his limited route tree. I think he will find his little niche in the NFL just not really worthy of a first round pick in my opinion since he has a shot to be a Tavon Austin or even worst AJ Jenkins who both had that speed and size issues.

This is exactly what we are missing and desparately need though. A go route guy that can run past the safeties.

We have hump as our posession, screen guy and Evans and Brate for everything in between.

Carolina has Ginn
Saints have Cooks/Sneed
Falcons have Gabriel

we have ???
tjax03

Postby Four Verticals » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:28 pm

I'm on the Ross won't be successful in the NFL train. I wouldn't like the pick.
Four Verticals

Postby Deja Entendu » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:08 am

His ceiling is DeSean Jackson, and most likely his ceiling is the current version of Jackson (at 30); so why not just try for the real deal and use the draft pick on a much needed upgrade at safety or on one of the lines?

I think DeSean has a better chance to become the next later years Joey Galloway/Steve Smith than Ross has in becoming our version of DeSean Jackson in his prime.
Deja Entendu

Postby MJW » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:18 am

Deja Entendu wrote:His ceiling is DeSean Jackson, and most likely his ceiling is the current version of Jackson (at 30); so why not just try for the real deal and use the draft pick on a much needed upgrade at safety or on one of the lines?

I think DeSean has a better chance to become the next later years Joey Galloway/Steve Smith than Ross has in becoming our version of DeSean Jackson in his prime.

I think his ceiling is higher than Jackson TBH. I saw them both in college and Ross looks much more natural playing the position heading into the league. Jackson didn't top 62 receptions until his 6th year in the NFL. A health Ross likely does that in his second year.

But the healthy part scares me more and more. I'd rather make a play for Kenny Still TBH.
MJW

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:32 am

At 5'11" 195 he is the smallest WR in the top 100 not named Dede Westbrook.

Still. That's about the size of Sterling Shepard and Corey Coleman from last draft.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Sammich » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:40 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but by my count that's significant injuries to both knees and now the shoulder? He hasn't even played against an NFL defense yet. I would not want to be using a first on any player with that injury history.
Sammich

Postby uscbucsfan » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:43 pm

MJW wrote:
Deja Entendu wrote:His ceiling is DeSean Jackson, and most likely his ceiling is the current version of Jackson (at 30); so why not just try for the real deal and use the draft pick on a much needed upgrade at safety or on one of the lines?

I think his ceiling is higher than Jackson TBH. I saw them both in college and Ross looks much more natural playing the position heading into the league. Jackson didn't top 62 receptions until his 6th year in the NFL. A health Ross likely does that in his second year.

But the healthy part scares me more and more. I'd rather make a play for Kenny Still TBH.

2nd everything here, especially trying to get Still.
uscbucsfan

Postby Doctor » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:54 pm

Uneasy.

Like when you kind of jerry rig something and hope it works out. If it does, great, you're a genius, if it doesn't it could blow up bad. Everytime he gets tackled I'll cringe.

The draft would need to fall pretty darn shitty for us for me to be okay with the Ross risk.
Doctor

Postby mdb1958 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:32 pm

If the Docs said Ramczyk had a 75% percent chance of playing really good for 10 years, I would take him over Ross. In the event that Ross plays 7 years and only misses 5 games, my thought would be "he didnt play for us" where some player takes out a knee without much of a problem.
mdb1958

Postby Pewterslimsme » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:35 pm

Yeah, I feel the same way about most of the guys being mocked to us. Some guys would be a steal if they came with a Best Buy gift card and some times you just want to go fishing and smoke a cigar wearing rain boots.
Pewterslimsme

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:44 pm

If I could choose only one Washington Husky from this draft for the Bucs....It would be Budda Baker.

And I like Ross and would be happy to have him in pewter. Baker just fits us better I think.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby mdb1958 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:25 am

tjax03 wrote:
mdb1958 wrote:From Walter website

Busts:

This is exactly what we are missing and desparately need though. A go route guy that can run past the safeties.

We have hump as our posession, screen guy and Evans and Brate for everything in between.

Carolina has Ginn
Saints have Cooks/Sneed
Falcons have Gabriel

we have ???

I think its more likely that we go to Buffalo and lose to a Mike Glennon led Bills team than it will be getting to watch Winston and Ross connect on deep passes.
mdb1958

Postby Kress » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:54 am

Pewterslimsme wrote:Yeah, I feel the same way about most of the guys being mocked to us. Some guys would be a steal if they came with a Best Buy gift card and some times you just want to go fishing and smoke a cigar wearing rain boots.

2nd everything here, especially us in rain boots.
Kress

Postby tjax03 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:10 am

Im sold

However with that speed amd his talent i doubt he drops to us
tjax03

Postby MJW » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:31 am

tjax03 wrote:4.22

Im sold

Yeah, he ran straight into the top 15. Maybe the Top Ten. Shoot, the way speed is valued these days (ask Will Fuller V), maybe he's the first WR off the board. Nobody thought Fuller would be last year, and nobody thought that the plodding Laquon Treadwell would be the LAST of his group.
MJW

Postby mdb1958 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:07 am

tjax03 wrote:4.22

Im sold

I'm sure John Ross is more worried about what shoe company is going to offer him a better deal than an island.
mdb1958

Postby Super K » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:44 am

Not that I'm advocating it, but if we were to land DJAX in FA AND draft Mr. Ross...

Whooooooweeeee....talk about remaking a WR corps in one offseason...

If that lineup doesn't make DC's stay awake at night, I don't know what will..
Super K

Postby beardmcdoug » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:28 am

Super K wrote:Not that I'm advocating it, but if we were to land DJAX in FA AND draft Mr. Ross...

yeah, in a way, signing d jax would make me more in favor of drafting Ross

some bonus john ross gifs:

what 4.22 speed on the field looks like

I'd be worrying about those other dudes' knees
beardmcdoug

Postby Watchout4Bucs » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:09 am

That number makes me feel better about using him at 19. There are still other guys I would like if I had my pick, but he could very well be BPA. Injury concerns are the only thing that will keep him out of top 15.
Watchout4Bucs

Postby MJW » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:22 am

Super K wrote:Not that I'm advocating it, but if we were to land DJAX in FA AND draft Mr. Ross...

Three wide with ME, Jackson, and Ross, plus either Brate or Hump (making it four wide, of course.)

That would be a lot of weapons and field for a defense to cover. Whoever was carrying the ball would be facing 6 in the box all game, which would honestly make me more excited than what it would mean for the passing game. Quizz especially, with his ability to get past the first line of defenders himself, would look really, really good.
MJW

Postby pewterpirates » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:39 pm

If he falls to 19 and we take him, would we also stick him back at kick returner?
pewterpirates

Postby Cheb » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:42 pm

pewterpirates wrote:If he falls to 19 and we take him, would we also stick him back at kick returner?

We would be stupid to not at least try him as a returner.
Cheb

Next

Return to College Football/Draft Talk