"The Bucs surprisingly select ___ "

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
post

Re: "The Bucs surprisingly select ___ "

Postby Naismith » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:24 pm

Also, in terms of production, Howard caught a higher percentage of his freshman QB's completions than Brate or Humphries did for the Bucs. Howard's biggest flaw, if it is one, seems to be in choosing to go to a school that doesn't emphasize the TE. On the other hand, he has improved dramatically as a blocker, won a National Championship and will still be a first round pick, so maybe it wasn't a mistake at all.

I'm willing to bet anyone a dollar that he won't be available at pick 19.

Good catch on the TE catches. So the writer was correct that he had the most catches as a TE in a season under Saban but used the wrong number of catches, 33, from before the National Championship game rather than 38.
User avatar
Naismith
 
Posts: 867
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:51 pm
Has thanked: 42 times
Been thanked: 51 times

Re: "The Bucs surprisingly select ___ "

Postby Brazen331 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:16 pm

Naismith wrote:Also, in terms of production, Howard caught a higher percentage of his freshman QB's completions than Brate or Humphries did for the Bucs. Howard's biggest flaw, if it is one, seems to be in choosing to go to a school that doesn't emphasize the TE. On the other hand, he has improved dramatically as a blocker, won a National Championship and will still be a first round pick, so maybe it wasn't a mistake at all.

I'm willing to bet anyone a dollar that he won't be available at pick 19.

Good catch on the TE catches. So the writer was correct that he had the most catches as a TE in a season under Saban but used the wrong number of catches, 33, from before the National Championship game rather than 38.


I will take that bet. Maybe he does go in the top 20 in other years as he does check many boxes but not this year with all the strong prospects at more desired positions. I don't see him as a more impressive prospect than guys like Gronk, Kelce and even ASJ who did not go in the 1st.
Brazen331
 
Posts: 1830
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:25 am
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 36 times

Re: "The Bucs surprisingly select ___ "

Postby Sammich » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:34 pm

The Bucs surprisingly select guard Dan Feeney.

Jason Licht traded for Mankins and signed Sweezey to a sizable contract so he obviously values the position and is willing to devote resources to it. Even with the additions of Mankins and Sweezey we still don't know who will be our starting LG next year and I could see Licht taking the highest rated guard in the draft.

Most would hate it, but I would love this pick. The more big nasties the better to keep Jameis clean and open some holes in the running game.
Sammich
 
Posts: 231
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:52 pm
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: "The Bucs surprisingly select ___ "

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:37 pm

Sammich wrote:The Bucs surprisingly select guard Dan Feeney.

Jason Licht traded for Mankins and signed Sweezey to a sizable contract so he obviously values the position and is willing to devote resources to it. Even with the additions of Mankins and Sweezey we still don't know who will be our starting LG next year and I could see Licht taking the highest rated guard in the draft.

Most would hate it, but I would love this pick. The more big nasties the better to keep Jameis clean and open some holes in the running game.


Not to mention trading up to take a D3 prospect. I wouldn't hate the pick at all. I think Feeney is a very good prospect and could help us immediately and in the future.
User avatar
Bootz2004
 
Posts: 16050
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:17 pm
Has thanked: 91 times
Been thanked: 363 times

Re: "The Bucs surprisingly select ___ "

Postby Cheb » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:45 am

The Bucs surprisingly take JuJu Smith-Schuster.

He's basically Lequon Treadwell meets Anquan Bolden, but no one cares because they like other receivers better, guys who look pretty in shorts and spread offenses.

Puh-leeze.

Juju fights like hell for the football when it's in the air, can run a full route tree, is a beast after the catch, and blocks like a motherfucker for good measure.

I wouldn't mind it at all.
Image
Cheb
 
Posts: 2084
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:00 pm
Location: West Coast
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 191 times

Re: "The Bucs surprisingly select ___ "

Postby MJW » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:22 am

I would have to say Dan Feeney, because it would be an admission that Sweezy was never going to play a snap for us.

Runner Up: Christian McCaffrey, who is basically Charles Sims. Neither of the other two backs would shock me, but this pick would.
Image
User avatar
MJW
 
Posts: 5926
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:17 am
Location: Nebraska
Has thanked: 143 times
Been thanked: 265 times

Re: "The Bucs surprisingly select ___ "

Postby MJW » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:23 am

Cheb wrote:The Bucs surprisingly take JuJu Smith-Schuster.

He's basically Lequon Treadwell meets Anquan Bolden, but no one cares because they like other receivers better, guys who look pretty in shorts and spread offenses.

Puh-leeze.

Juju fights like hell for the football when it's in the air, can run a full route tree, is a beast after the catch, and blocks like a motherfucker for good measure.

I wouldn't mind it at all.


JJSS wouldn't surprise me. For the reasons you eloquently stated, he'd be a solid compliment to ME and allow Humphries to play in the slot. It'd be a darn sensible pick.
Image
User avatar
MJW
 
Posts: 5926
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:17 am
Location: Nebraska
Has thanked: 143 times
Been thanked: 265 times

Re: "The Bucs surprisingly select ___ "

Postby MJW » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:24 am

And as for the debate at hand...not much of a Howard fan. Reminds me a bit of the "Soldier At War" and not in a good way.

I'd rather take Hodges, who has a Jimmy Graham ceiling, or take Jake Butt in the 2nd and wait on him a year.
Image
User avatar
MJW
 
Posts: 5926
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:17 am
Location: Nebraska
Has thanked: 143 times
Been thanked: 265 times

Re: "The Bucs surprisingly select ___ "

Postby Brazen331 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:49 am

MJW wrote:I would have to say Dan Feeney, because it would be an admission that Sweezy was never going to play a snap for us.

Runner Up: Christian McCaffrey, who is basically Charles Sims. Neither of the other two backs would shock me, but this pick would.


Meaning that they both can line up in the backfield and catch a pass? I see hardly any similarity between these two players. I would group McCaffrey, Cook and Ross together as weapons who can make defenders miss and explode for a score from any spot on the field. We don't have a player like this on our roster and this isn't a role that Sims can play.
Brazen331
 
Posts: 1830
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:25 am
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 36 times

Re: "The Bucs surprisingly select ___ "

Postby MJW » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:03 am

Brazen331 wrote:
MJW wrote:I would have to say Dan Feeney, because it would be an admission that Sweezy was never going to play a snap for us.

Runner Up: Christian McCaffrey, who is basically Charles Sims. Neither of the other two backs would shock me, but this pick would.


Meaning that they both can line up in the backfield and catch a pass? I see hardly any similarity between these two players. I would group McCaffrey, Cook and Ross together as weapons who can make defenders miss and explode for a score from any spot on the field. We don't have a player like this on our roster and this isn't a role that Sims can play.


Meaning they'd both play the same role in the offense. McCaffrey would likely play it better, which is why it's not *impossible* he'd be the pick. But you're still talking about a back who isn't a strong inside runner and will likely be at his best getting 15 touches a game. The upgrade from Sims to McCaffrey in that role is, IMHO, a really poor allocation of resources.

And honestly, does everyone have amnesia? Martin and Sims didn't do **** this year. We all know this. But Sims is what, 24? And 18 months ago, he damn well could score from anywhere on the field, and he did multiple times. Doug Martin did too (or came close a number of times.) I agree we don't have a wideout who can do that right now. But people are acting like we have a backfield of Curtis Enis and Chris Perry and it's not true.
Image
User avatar
MJW
 
Posts: 5926
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:17 am
Location: Nebraska
Has thanked: 143 times
Been thanked: 265 times

Re: "The Bucs surprisingly select ___ "

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:11 am

Ya JUJU wouldn't shock anyone I don't think. Probably the second most likely guy after Ross, and I'd prefer him to Ross personally. Really curious how he tests athletically.

Here's a name for you lineman heads: Forrest Lamp. Probably my favourite olineman prospect in the draft all things considered. He's just short for a LT. If he has to shift inside he can be a Pro Bowl caliber guy at G or C. You take him and you just wait until day 2 to add your weapons.
Image
real bucs fan
 
Posts: 5048
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:59 pm
Has thanked: 509 times
Been thanked: 81 times

Re: "The Bucs surprisingly select ___ "

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:46 am

The thing about Juju that turns me off is that he just doesn't show me dominance like Mike Williams does. He makes a lot of routine catches and racks up yards and that's great, but I just don't see a big wow factor with him. Seemed pretty anonymous against Washington and Alabama. I did not see the Rose bowl.

As for Solomon Thomas, I would be surprised because I didn't scout D-lineman very much this season. Add to that...and this is a temporary situation...he is currently sitting 49th on Draftek's big board so at this point he would be a massive reach considering he may very well be there in the second round. Demarcus Walker just so happens to be 19th.
Image
User avatar
Mountaineer Buc
 
Posts: 7444
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:15 pm
Has thanked: 75 times
Been thanked: 434 times

Re: "The Bucs surprisingly select ___ "

Postby Bootz2004 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:50 am

Juju would be a surprise because he's going to be available in the 2nd.
User avatar
Bootz2004
 
Posts: 16050
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:17 pm
Has thanked: 91 times
Been thanked: 363 times

Re: "The Bucs surprisingly select ___ "

Postby Naismith » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:22 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:As for Solomon Thomas, I would be surprised because I didn't scout D-lineman very much this season. Add to that...and this is a temporary situation...he is currently sitting 49th on Draftek's big board so at this point he would be a massive reach considering he may very well be there in the second round. Demarcus Walker just so happens to be 19th.


Matt Miller has him 11th overall on his big board.
Luke Easterling has him 9th overall on his big board.
Josh Norris mocked him going 9th overall.
Dane Brugler mocked him going 8th overall.

Of course, none of January's projections will matter in three months.
User avatar
Naismith
 
Posts: 867
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:51 pm
Has thanked: 42 times
Been thanked: 51 times

Re: "The Bucs surprisingly select ___ "

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:24 am

Naismith wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:As for Solomon Thomas, I would be surprised because I didn't scout D-lineman very much this season. Add to that...and this is a temporary situation...he is currently sitting 49th on Draftek's big board so at this point he would be a massive reach considering he may very well be there in the second round. Demarcus Walker just so happens to be 19th.


Matt Miller has him 11th overall on his big board.
Luke Easterling has him 9th overall on his big board.
Josh Norris mocked him going 9th overall.
Dane Brugler mocked him going 8th overall.

Of course, none of January's projections will matter in three months.


I don't doubt that he'll move, but I have limited access to sports stuff at the office. For some reason, Draftek isn't blocked so I use it.
Image
User avatar
Mountaineer Buc
 
Posts: 7444
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:15 pm
Has thanked: 75 times
Been thanked: 434 times

Re: "The Bucs surprisingly select ___ "

Postby Naismith » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:28 am

Great reason! :)
User avatar
Naismith
 
Posts: 867
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:51 pm
Has thanked: 42 times
Been thanked: 51 times

Re: "The Bucs surprisingly select ___ "

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:42 am

Bootz2004 wrote:Juju would be a surprise because he's going to be available in the 2nd.

JuJu in the 2nd would be a dream. He could slip out of Day 1, but no way do I see him making it to our 2nd rounder. Too many teams are needing WRs, and after Williams and Davis, JuJu is the only WR I can see being able to start on the outside as a rookie. I think a young Anquan Boldin is an apt comparison for him- folks forget how good Anquan was after the catch when his legs were young.
Image
real bucs fan
 
Posts: 5048
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:59 pm
Has thanked: 509 times
Been thanked: 81 times

Re: "The Bucs surprisingly select ___ "

Postby Brazen331 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:01 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Naismith wrote:
Matt Miller has him 11th overall on his big board.
Luke Easterling has him 9th overall on his big board.
Josh Norris mocked him going 9th overall.
Dane Brugler mocked him going 8th overall.

Of course, none of January's projections will matter in three months.


I don't doubt that he'll move, but I have limited access to sports stuff at the office. For some reason, Draftek isn't blocked so I use it.


Hard to say what will happen this far out but it would not shock me if Thomas moves into the top 5 come
April. I hope he is there at 19 and I would move up for him if he drops out of the top 10. I just think he is going to be All-Pro and rather quickly.
Brazen331
 
Posts: 1830
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:25 am
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 36 times

Re: "The Bucs surprisingly select ___ "

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:45 pm

I for one am hoping the DLs, CBs, and LBs move up so someone else falls.
Image
real bucs fan
 
Posts: 5048
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:59 pm
Has thanked: 509 times
Been thanked: 81 times

Re: "The Bucs surprisingly select ___ "

Postby Brazen331 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:29 pm

real bucs fan wrote:I for one am hoping the DLs, CBs, and LBs move up so someone else falls.


Don't forget the QBs. Best case scenario is a CB goes really high sparking a run on the position. More likely, teams will wait until the 2nd for value since there are so many 1st-round caliber CBs.
Brazen331
 
Posts: 1830
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:25 am
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 36 times

Re: "The Bucs surprisingly select ___ "

Postby Bootz2004 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:51 pm

Why would we want ANY of these positions to go ahead of us? Are we trying to limit our options? I hope there's a run on QB, Punter and Kicker! We're not set anywhere enough other than these to the point that we hope the top guys are gone. Kicker is included only because there's no chance we draft another one any time soon.
User avatar
Bootz2004
 
Posts: 16050
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:17 pm
Has thanked: 91 times
Been thanked: 363 times

Re: "The Bucs surprisingly select ___ "

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:12 pm

Brazen331 wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:I for one am hoping the DLs, CBs, and LBs move up so someone else falls.


Don't forget the QBs. Best case scenario is a CB goes really high sparking a run on the position. More likely, teams will wait until the 2nd for value since there are so many 1st-round caliber CBs.


Whoops! QB is certainly the position I hope for a run most lol
Image
real bucs fan
 
Posts: 5048
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:59 pm
Has thanked: 509 times
Been thanked: 81 times

Re: "The Bucs surprisingly select ___ "

Postby Naismith » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:12 pm

Brazen331 wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:
I don't doubt that he'll move, but I have limited access to sports stuff at the office. For some reason, Draftek isn't blocked so I use it.


Hard to say what will happen this far out but it would not shock me if Thomas moves into the top 5 come
April. I hope he is there at 19 and I would move up for him if he drops out of the top 10. I just think he is going to be All-Pro and rather quickly.


Image
User avatar
Naismith
 
Posts: 867
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:51 pm
Has thanked: 42 times
Been thanked: 51 times

Re: "The Bucs surprisingly select ___ "

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:44 am

Brazen331 wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:
I don't doubt that he'll move, but I have limited access to sports stuff at the office. For some reason, Draftek isn't blocked so I use it.


Hard to say what will happen this far out but it would not shock me if Thomas moves into the top 5 come
April. I hope he is there at 19 and I would move up for him if he drops out of the top 10. I just think he is going to be All-Pro and rather quickly.

The big boards are going to be all over the place for a while. They tend to coalesce the closer the draft gets.
Image
User avatar
Mountaineer Buc
 
Posts: 7444
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:15 pm
Has thanked: 75 times
Been thanked: 434 times

Re: "The Bucs surprisingly select ___ "

Postby MJW » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:25 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Brazen331 wrote:
Hard to say what will happen this far out but it would not shock me if Thomas moves into the top 5 come
April. I hope he is there at 19 and I would move up for him if he drops out of the top 10. I just think he is going to be All-Pro and rather quickly.

The big boards are going to be all over the place for a while. They tend to coalesce the closer the draft gets.


I remember in 2011 most didn't even have Cam Newton as a top twenty pick until the postseason, and it wasn't maybe March that DaQuan Bowers vacated the top three. I can probably think of 50 such examples.

Things start to gel with the Senior Bowl and then come together completely after the combine.
Image
User avatar
MJW
 
Posts: 5926
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:17 am
Location: Nebraska
Has thanked: 143 times
Been thanked: 265 times

Re: "The Bucs surprisingly select ___ "

Postby mdb1958 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:02 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Brazen331 wrote:
Hard to say what will happen this far out but it would not shock me if Thomas moves into the top 5 come
April. I hope he is there at 19 and I would move up for him if he drops out of the top 10. I just think he is going to be All-Pro and rather quickly.

The big boards are going to be all over the place for a while. They tend to coalesce the closer the draft gets.


Dont know why, maybe its laziness or loyalty with Drafttek, but they dont want to regard the smaller colleges much.
mdb1958
 
Posts: 6082
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:11 pm
Has thanked: 128 times
Been thanked: 58 times

Re: "The Bucs surprisingly select ___ "

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:59 am

mdb1958 wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:The big boards are going to be all over the place for a while. They tend to coalesce the closer the draft gets.


Dont know why, maybe its laziness or loyalty with Drafttek, but they dont want to regard the smaller colleges much.

Nobody regards the smaller colleges like you do, mdb
Image
User avatar
Mountaineer Buc
 
Posts: 7444
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:15 pm
Has thanked: 75 times
Been thanked: 434 times

Re: "The Bucs surprisingly select ___ "

Postby mdb1958 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:19 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
mdb1958 wrote:
Dont know why, maybe its laziness or loyalty with Drafttek, but they dont want to regard the smaller colleges much.

Nobody regards the smaller colleges like you do, mdb




Mississippi Valley State University!
mdb1958
 
Posts: 6082
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:11 pm
Has thanked: 128 times
Been thanked: 58 times

Re: "The Bucs surprisingly select ___ "

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:35 pm

MJW wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:The big boards are going to be all over the place for a while. They tend to coalesce the closer the draft gets.


I remember in 2011 most didn't even have Cam Newton as a top twenty pick until the postseason, and it wasn't maybe March that DaQuan Bowers vacated the top three. I can probably think of 50 such examples.

Things start to gel with the Senior Bowl and then come together completely after the combine.


The big name media guys boards are always garbage until the combine. For example Corey Davis still isn't in Kipers top 25 or McShays top 32. He just moved into the first round for CBS. Then watch post combine- he's going to fly up the boards after athletic testing. Happens every year...
Image
real bucs fan
 
Posts: 5048
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:59 pm
Has thanked: 509 times
Been thanked: 81 times

Re: "The Bucs surprisingly select ___ "

Postby Doctor » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:46 am

I love juju and think he'd be deadly in the slot.
Image
User avatar
Doctor
 
Posts: 3794
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:54 pm
Location: Out of the Office. Will return next Fall.
Has thanked: 173 times
Been thanked: 102 times

PreviousNext

post

Return to College Football/Draft Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest