Vita Vea

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Re: Vita Vea

Postby real bucs fan » Sat May 05, 2018 11:09 am

DreadNaught wrote:If Vea becomes what Ngata was than I'm good with at. Ngata made a few pro-bowls and was instrumental for those Ravens defenses being a perennial top 5 run defense.

Gone are the days of the Bucs 'undersized' Dline. We have a big, strong, and stout front 4 that features two All-Pro talents in McCoy and JPP who also excel at rushing the passer. Vea will be physically dominant presence lined up between those two (depending on the Offensive formation). Vinny Curry is solid presence at RE. Plus we have good depth that fit various roles/situations in Spence, Allen, Gholston, and Unrein (<- That's not a bad back-up Dline imo).

I give alot credit to Licht with how he overhauled the Dline this off season. If we can stay healthy along the D-line we should a dramatic improvement in every category from this Bucs defense this season

I think Ngata is his absolute best case scenario ceiling.
real bucs fan

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat May 05, 2018 11:32 am

real bucs fan wrote:Happy with Vea at 12, especially considering the trade down, but I wouldn't be shocked at all if we look back on this first round as that time we passed on James twice in order to select a 350lbs run stuffer...

You will but whoever "we" is won't do that because "we" knows he's more than a 350 pound run stuffer.
Bootz2004

Postby real bucs fan » Sat May 05, 2018 11:48 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:Happy with Vea at 12, especially considering the trade down, but I wouldn't be shocked at all if we look back on this first round as that time we passed on James twice in order to select a 350lbs run stuffer...

You will but whoever "we" is won't do that because "we" knows he's more than a 350 pound run stuffer.

You know diddly sqwat
real bucs fan

Postby PrimeMinister » Sat May 05, 2018 11:49 am

Why are people acting like our rookie DT becoming Haloti Ngata would be a consolation prize?
PrimeMinister

Postby real bucs fan » Sat May 05, 2018 11:58 am

PrimeMinister wrote:Why are people acting like our rookie DT becoming Haloti Ngata would be a consolation prize?

Ngata would be a dream come true for Vea.
real bucs fan

Postby Super K » Sat May 05, 2018 12:00 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:Why are people acting like our rookie DT becoming Haloti Ngata would be a consolation prize?

Exactly...

Folks whom use that as a negative don't really understand what he did for that Ravens D...

And I'm not just talking about keeping Ray Ray and the other LBs clean...he greatly impacted.their pass rush..
Super K

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat May 05, 2018 12:01 pm

Exactly! I'd be ecstatic if he became close to what Ngata was. A disruptive nightmare in the middle of a defense. Honestly when I look at his tape he's a much better mover than Ngata. The comparison comes from the size, the west coast and Pac12 connection and of course the Polynesian ancestry. Vita reminds me more of Suh honestly the way he bullies interior Olinemen and his quickness.
Bootz2004

Postby real bucs fan » Sat May 05, 2018 12:02 pm

Super K wrote:

Exactly...

Folks whom use that as a negative don't really understand what he did for that Ravens D...

And I'm not just talking about keeping Ray Ray and the other LBs clean...he greatly impacted.their pass rush..

Who the heck is using that comp as a negative?
real bucs fan

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat May 05, 2018 12:02 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

You know diddly sqwat

Uh huh. Nice mature informative retort kyddo.
Bootz2004

Postby Super K » Sat May 05, 2018 12:06 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
Super K wrote:
Exactly...

Who the heck is using that comp as a negative?

I think the phrase "Ngata is his absolute, best case ceiling" kind of spins the tone a bit, don't you?

Like that's a "lower level" ceiling than say Gmac, Suh, Donald etc...
Super K

Postby PrimeMinister » Sat May 05, 2018 12:28 pm

Super K wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:Who the heck is using that comp as a negative?

I think the phrase "Ngata is his absolute, best case ceiling" kind of spins the tone a bit, don't you?

This. I don’t have time to go and find all quotes, but even Dread’s “if he becomes Ngata I’m good with that” sounds like a consolation prize. I saw elsewhere where some used the Ngata comp as “he can’t be any better than Ngata though”. We could only dream that Vea becomes Ngata. It would completely improve our defense front to back.
PrimeMinister

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat May 05, 2018 12:29 pm

Yea if Vita came make 5 All-Pro teams and 5 Pro Bowls that's definitely not a consolation prize.
Bootz2004

Postby Nano » Sat May 05, 2018 1:56 pm

Or in 25 years when Josh Allen is being inducted into the HOF as the greatest QB of all time...we'll all be like...We could've had him.
Nano

Postby mdb1958 » Sat May 05, 2018 2:57 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:Yea if Vita came make 5 All-Pro teams and 5 Pro Bowls that's definitely not a consolation prize.

A consolation prize would be to see Gerald getting 3 and 4 sack games...
mdb1958

Postby real bucs fan » Sat May 05, 2018 3:27 pm

Super K wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:Who the heck is using that comp as a negative?

Not at all. I'm saying Ngata is what Vea dreams about being when he goes to sleep at night. We can only hope he comes close to Ngata level.

Also for those who think Vea is some sort of superior athlete to Ngata, go back and look at Ngatas combine numbers.... Vea is way more Ngata than he is Suh. Vea will be lucky to ever have a 5 sack season.
real bucs fan

Postby Jason Bourne » Sat May 05, 2018 8:09 pm

Yeah looked back and be happy we dodged a Bullit... thankfully we did the right thing
Jason Bourne

Postby terrytate » Sat May 05, 2018 11:46 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
Super K wrote:

Not at all. I'm saying Ngata is what Vea dreams about being when he goes to sleep at night. We can only hope he comes close to Ngata level.

Also for those who think Vea is some sort of superior athlete to Ngata, go back and look at Ngatas combine numbers.... Vea is way more Ngata than he is Suh. Vea will be lucky to ever have a 5 sack season.

I agree that Vea is more Ngata than Suh. However, Vea is a superior athlete to Ngata. In fact, Vea's combine numbers are closer to Suh's than they are Vea's. Suh ran a 5.03 40 with 32 reps. Vea ran a 5.10 40 with 41 reps. Ngata ran a 5.18 40 with 37 reps. Vea had a bad hammy at the combine and didn't run the other events, but I'd expect him to fall in line slightly behind Suh in agility and ahead of Ngata while being bigger and stronger than either.

Vea has the potential to put up similar sack numbers to Suh. He won't though, not right away, because he will be started at NT eating double teams and pushing the pocket for McCoy and JPP.
terrytate

Postby Bootz2004 » Sun May 06, 2018 12:06 am

real bucs fan wrote:
Super K wrote:

You look at combine numbers. Smart people look at tape. Vita’s tape is much more Suh than Ngata at Oregon, which is only 1 season worth of film. Ngata’s ceiling was always as a nose. Vita can play nose as well as DT, 3T, 5 tech even in a 3-4. He won’t be relegated to playing nose.

To think his ceiling is 5 sacks confirms stupidity and lack of football acumen.
Bootz2004

Postby VauntedTampa2 » Sun May 06, 2018 12:16 am

Ngata was predominantly a 2 gapper for the Ravens.
VauntedTampa2

Postby mdb1958 » Sun May 06, 2018 2:40 am

Who?

Who is going to want to take Vea - one on one? Thats what I want to know, who wont give up ground?

Some can keep him at bay for a time but I dont think it will take long for teams to know who cant handle him.

I would think blitzing up the middle could finally get home quickly.
Last edited by mdb1958 on Sun May 06, 2018 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
mdb1958

Postby Super K » Sun May 06, 2018 4:30 am

Agreed Mdb...that "Double A" gap blitz that has taken the league by storm, whooped our ass, but out of our reach to execute productively, just may become a nightmare for our opponents...
Super K

Postby Ken Carson » Sun May 06, 2018 7:58 am

Is James your new Jarvis Landry? At least this time you are backing a better football player...
Ken Carson

Postby real bucs fan » Sun May 06, 2018 8:16 am

Ken Carson wrote:

Is James your new Jarvis Landry? At least this time you are backing a better football player...

lol
real bucs fan

Postby DreadNaught » Sun May 06, 2018 8:56 am

Since we're doing player comps;

If Vea is Ngata and Derwin is Barron

I'd rather have Ngata(Vea). Physically dominate run-stuffing DT are more rare and valuable than LBs/box Safeties
DreadNaught

Postby VauntedTampa2 » Sun May 06, 2018 9:22 am

DreadNaught wrote:Since we're doing player comps;

I'd rather have Ngata(Vea). Physically dominate run-stuffing DT are more rare and valuable than LBs/box Safeties
VauntedTampa2

Postby Super K » Sun May 06, 2018 9:25 am

real bucs fan wrote:
Super K wrote:

Even there, let's not act like Suh (or Gmac for that matter) have set the bar incredibly high for "sacks" at the DT spot..

Each is only averaging around 6/year..

At the same league tenure time Ngata averaged 3...as a 2 gapper (like someone else pointed out)..

If Vea gives us 5/year AND destroys the run game as we all think/hope/predict he can, he will well exceed what Suh AND Gerald are at the DT spot...

IMO (let me stress, MY opinion), pairing him WITH McCoy makes our DT position the most formidable in football..

Better than the Jags..

Yes, better than Donald and Suh's Rams..

Double yes, I know Vea is only a rookie and has to prove himself while the others are "proven NFL vets" yadda, yadda, yadda...
Super K

Postby Super K » Sun May 06, 2018 9:27 am

Saquan Barkely = Ki-jana Carter?
Super K

Postby VauntedTampa2 » Sun May 06, 2018 9:37 am

Any time we send more than 4, teams are going to have a difficult time deciding who to double.

Not to mention this will force teams to keep their TEs/RBs in to help.
VauntedTampa2

Postby Hatter » Sun May 06, 2018 9:42 am

I know I'll be alone on this one but I don't think James is going to be the stud in the NFL like a lot of people think he will be.
Just a feeling.
Hatter

Postby real bucs fan » Sun May 06, 2018 9:53 am

If you're comparing Vea to Ngata, it's only fair to compare James to Polamalu.
real bucs fan

PreviousNext

Return to College Football/Draft Talk