Way Too Early Mock Draft Thread

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Way Too Early Mock Draft Thread

Postby Naismith » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:00 pm

No idea if all of these guys are going to be in this draft, but here's my first stab at it. I'm sure once April 27th comes around, this will look ridiculous.

1. Takkarist McKinley, DE, UCLA

2. Montravius Adams, DT, Auburn
3. Garett Bolles, OT, Utah

4. Zach Banner, OG, USC
5. Quin Blanding, S, Virginia James Conner, RB, Pitt

6. Gerald Everett, TE, South Alabama

7. Janarion Grant, WR, Rutgers

Last edited by Naismith on Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Naismith

Re: Way Too Early Mock Draft Thread

Postby Nano » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:04 pm

Quin Blanding is returning to school.
Nano

Postby Naismith » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:05 pm

Nano wrote:Quin Blanding is returning to school.

Well, then, he'll likely be available even later!
Naismith

Postby Watchout4Bucs » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:35 pm

I am always a fan of building up the trenches. I don't think our front office is smart enough for a draft like this to ever happen but if this was our draft I wouldn't be extremely excited, but understand why it needed to happen.
Watchout4Bucs

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:03 pm

Watchout4Bucs wrote:I am always a fan of building up the trenches. I don't think our front office is smart enough for a draft like this to ever happen but if this was our draft I wouldn't be extremely excited, but understand why it needed to happen.

On the contrary, I think our FO is wise enough to not go into a draft with that type of tunnel vision. There are some real nice Day 2 interior lineman, and a couple of great Day 3 sleepers, but this really is not a strong OL draft to attack the OL. Going OL for OLs sake is a bad idea.
real bucs fan

Postby Naismith » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:52 pm

I think Bolles would be a first rounder were he a few years younger. I still think he could slip into the back end of the first. I know the popular statement is that it's a weak year for offensive linemen but there will be some that have good careers. Just gotta find and develop them! I don't think it's a very good year to go WR, RB or DB early.
Naismith

Postby Sammich » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:06 pm

4 big fellas? Now THAT is how you build a team.
Sammich

Postby Naismith » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:31 am

Naismith wrote:No idea if all of these guys are going to be in this draft, but here's my first stab at it. I'm sure once April 27th comes around, this will look ridiculous.

1. Takkarist McKinley, DE, UCLA
2. Montravius Adams, DT, Auburn
3. Garett Bolles, OT, Utah
4. Zach Banner, OG, USC
5. Quin Blanding, S, Virginia James Conner, RB, Pitt
6. Gerald Everett, TE, South Alabama
7. Janarion Grant, WR, Rutgers

Man, a month later and I'd definitely take this draft, but it looks like I had four guys that will be gone in the first two rounds. Updated mock (profiles by Lance Zierlein at NFL.com):

1. Taco Charlton, DE, Michigan (6'6", 272 lbs.)

STRENGTHS Rare combination of size, length and athletic traits as a rusher. Long-levered frame with athletic, knotted calves. Brings freaky athletic traits to table and is still growing into his body. Flashes instant reaction time off snap and up the field thanks to his twitch. Has enough upfield juice to push offensive tackles into hasty retreat. Generates pop through speed-to-power element. Very good flexibility throughout. Able to sink and swerve around corner if he gets early lead in race to the edge. Possesses hip swivel combined with shoulder turn to slip and flip around the corner of an offensive tackle he's engaged with as a pass rusher. Rushes with forward lean that keeps his momentum downhill. Uses rip-and-stab move and an ominous spin move that could turn into a dominant rush trait in the NFL. Elongated lateral slides can open into sprint very quickly to chase run play bouncing outside. Length gives him a shot at dramatically increasing his play-making ability against the run. Hand usage is improving.

WEAKNESSES Despite talent and traits, production and overall play has been uneven at Michigan. Earned full-time starting nod in just his final season. Needs more weight-room work. Consistency of anchor at point of attack in question. Can be rooted out of his gap by power. Can do better job of using his length to keep blockers off of him. Doesn't make enough plays on other side of the line against run. Needs to show a nastier play demeanor at all times. Scouts question whether he has enough toughness for trench battles if bumped inside or to 5-technique. Held back by his inconsistent play speed. Excessive leaning and narrowing of his base during the play causes balance and footwork inconsistencies. Needs better readiness to take on move blockers.

SOURCES TELL US "Really, really talented player. You won't always see it on every play so that is going to be a coach's job to get that out of him. Rushers with his size and athleticism are hard to find and they usually go very early in the draft." -- AFC executive

NFL COMPARISON Chandler Jones

BOTTOM LINE "Inconsistent" has been the buzzword that has followed Charlton since coming to Michigan, but he began the process of shaking it during his senior season. Charlton is an ascending prospect with the size, length, athleticism and pass-rushing potential that NFL general managers dream of. What you see today might not be what you get. While his production coming out of college will be modest, he could become a substantially better player as a pro if he's committed to the weight room and willing to absorb coaching. High-impact defensive end with all-pro potential is his ceiling. His floor is solid starter.

2. Garett Bolles, OT, Utah (6'5", 300 lbs.)

STRENGTHS Elite athletic ability with the sweetest feet at the tackle position in this draft. Movement skills are smooth and unencumbered. There isn't an angle block he can't get to. Smooth climbs to linebackers as a work-up blocker, and has rare ability to accelerate from that block up to a third target. Has lateral quickness in run game to cross-face from backside and seal on the play-side. Can take quick settle steps, sinks and scoops defensive ends on base blocks. Quick feet allow for more patience to scan for stunts. Can meet edge speed with quick sets in pass pro. Plays with a mean streak and loves to finish. Outstanding change of direction to mirror without a hitch in his transition. Keeps weight on inside foot in his slides. Moves feet into position against inside counters. Balanced in his pass sets and keeps blocks centered. Should get bigger and stronger with more weight work after unorthodox path to the draft.

WEAKNESSES Frame is a little narrow and legs appear to be shorter than normal. Devoid of drive power in his lowers. Pad level rises and he struggles to generate much movement against stout outside linebackers at point of attack. Needs better knee bend into second-level contact. Inconsistent in sustaining his blocks. Power can toss him off balance. May be limited by scheme fit. Needs to keep hands inside to bolster strength in his base. Lacks trust in his core power against speed-to-power. Leans into blocks with feet behind him to brace up. Will need sharper punch and more sink in his sets. Gives initial ground against power and doesn't always anchor quickly. Will be 25 years old by opening of fall camp.

SOURCES TELL US "Most athletic offensive lineman I've done since I took over this area of the country. He's also mean on the field, which you love. I'm projecting him to get stronger once he locks into an NFL strength-and-conditioning program. He's underdeveloped right now. What you see isn't what you are going to ultimately get, in my opinion." -- West area scout for NFC team

NFL COMPARISON Cedric Ogbuehi

BOTTOM LINE Because he's only played one year of FBS football and hasn't been able to fully fill out his frame over the last five years, Bolles will require a projection and conjecture than most of the tackles in this year's draft. He clearly has elite athletic ability and foot quickness, but his lack of core strength and ability to sustain blocks against power across from him is a concern at this time. While he has Pro Bowl potential for a zone-scheme team, his floor will be a little lower than you might like in an early round pick.

3. Eddie Vanderdoes, DT, UCLA (6'2", 320 lbs.)

STRENGTHS His lone 2015 contest (vs. Virginia) showed off his enormous talent. His body type belies his surprising athleticism. Solid functional lateral movement and change of direction. Able to spin out of blocks with quick feet. Gives good chase along backside. Booming power in his hands to tilt rep in his favor after initial punch. Explodes hips into contact to dislodge blockers Has strength and ability to play nose tackle or three-technique. Can two-gap. Gets inside arm under and rag dolls move blocks to challenge cutback lanes. Grows roots against double teams and fights to split them rather than trying to survive. Brings toughness and edge to the workplace. Better rush potential than numbers indicate. Has strength to walk interior linemen back in the pocket.

WEAKNESSES Missed almost entire 2015 season with torn ACL and he didn't seem to bounce all the way back in 2016. Carries weight poorly in his upper body and especially midsection. Came into season with additional weight. Needs to eliminate 15-20 pounds to play at an optimal level. A little slow in reaction time off snap. Gets behind against move blocks and will often play from backside rather than play-side. Pad level rises after initial stages of rep. Needs to improve conditioning. Has to keep weight down and get full mobility back. Despite his ability, sack production has lagged behind.

SOURCES TELL US "He was a big-time recruit and he really looked the part in 2014 and in the one game he played in 2015. He flashed this year but he just wasn't the same guy. I want to project him as a healthy player but if he keeps playing this heavy we may never see the same player from before even if he is fully healthy." - AFC west coast scout

NFL COMPARISON Ahtyba Rubin

BOTTOM LINE Any evaluation of Vanderdoes is incomplete until studying 2014 and the Virginia game of 2015, but balancing that tape against his 2016 body of work will be the challenge. He's athletic and powerful, but his weight and health of his knee could be a concern. He has the talent to become a disruptive, productive starter if his body bounces back to his earlier form. If not, he's still a solid rotational defensive tackle.

4. Joe Mixon, RB, Oklahoma (6'1", 226 lbs.)

STRENGTHS Outstanding burst to go from first level to third level. Goes from glide to burst quickly and can hit chunk plays between tackles and around corners. Can go from elusive to banger when he needs to. Will drop the pads and drive through tacklers in short yardage spots. Flashy feet for his size. Can jump-cut around defenders in tight quarters. Smooth hips help him swivel around the second and third levels. Able to show and go leaving linebackers diving as he escapes out of the side door. Strong stiff-arm helps would-be tacklers catch grass stains. Can turn the corner and create a straightaway to the end zone. Was Big 12 leader in percentage of explosive carries (15-plus yards) at 11.9 percent. True three-down back. Devastating pass catching option. Excellent route runner creating immediate separation. Soft hands to make the easy catch and the one-hander. Will step in and square up his blocking responsibilities in pass game.

WEAKNESSES Some in scouting community concerned with character beyond his domestic violence incident. Inconsistent as inside runner. Can be too patient at times. Looks for wide-open points of entry before he hits the gas. Can be nonchalant approaching line of scrimmage. Dances downhill allowing running lanes to become creases. Feet lag behind when headed into congestion and will get loose with his rush track inviting tacklers a chance to get a hand on him. Lacks creativity in initial stages of his run at times. Vision is just average. Fails to see backside cuts developing on stretch plays. Hops into his downhill cuts rather than a crisp plant-and-go.

SOURCES TELL US "I'm not going to talk about any character issue because every team has to go through and make their own decisions. As a player, he can play all three downs but he's not going to create for himself like Fournette or Cook. But he can also have an impact on the passing game that they can't have. I see him as a top-40 player. Obviously, he won't go there." -- NFC North area scout

NFL COMPARISON Le'Veon Bell

BOTTOM LINE I've decided to give Joe Mixon a draft grade based on his talent and expected output if given a chance as an NFL running back. His draft slot will likely be impacted by his domestic violence issue. Mixon has the talent to be an every-down, all-day running back with the potential to take over a game on the ground or through the air. Life against weaker Big 12 defenses has created a more relaxed rushing approach for Mixon who will have to play at a faster pace as an NFL back. Mixon's vision is just average and he could struggle to create for himself in front of a subpar offensive line; however, he can play in any rushing scheme and can be moved all over the field as a matchup option.

5. Noah Brown, WR, Ohio State (6'2", 218 lbs.)

NOTE: Scouting report on Noah Brown not completed yet at NFL.com.

Brown's 2016 season was widely anticipated in league circles because of his potential as a big-play receiver. In Ohio State's September win in Oklahoma, he showed great promise as a red-zone threat, with four of his five catches (72 total yards) going for touchdowns. Though he wasn't utilized nearly as much through the rest of the year, Brown was a 12-game starter and honorable mention All-Big Ten pick this year for league coaches and media (32-402, seven TDs). The reason many people were expecting great things in 2016 was because word leaked up about his excelling in 2015 preseason camp before suffering a broken leg during practice. The New Jersey all-state pick played in 13 games (just one catch for nine yards) as a true freshman in the Buckeyes' national championship season of 2014, lining up at receiver, H-back, and on special teams.

6. Deyshawn Bond, C, Cincinnati (6'2", 287 lbs.)

STRENGTHS Powerful upper body. Initial contact contains pop. Creates strong leverage points as base blocker. Explodes into down blocks and snaps hips under his hands to seal the deal. Capable in zone and in combo blocks, taking solid angles to second-level targets. Good snap to set quickness in pass protection. Able to handle a strong bull rush. Athletic with good foot quickness in his pass slide from gap edge to the other. Reactive quickness enables his recoveries. Good torque in his punch. Uses plus body control to mirror and engage pass rushers. Uses quick hands to catch and control twisters. Solid games against Houston's Ed Oliver and Purdue's Jake Replogle.

WEAKNESSES Undersized with short arms. Doesn't generate much drive off the snap. Leg drive gears down after contact. Can do better job of working feet into position after initial contact on both first and second levels. Slightly below average sustaining blocks. Can be beaten to the punch by length. Needs improved arm extension in his pass protection to keep rushers out of his frame. Will short his first block if he thinks a blitz is coming behind it. Needs to do better job of diagnosing blitz packages coming off the edge.

NFL COMPARISON Patrick Lewis

BOTTOM LINE Four-year starter with a combination of core strength and foot quickness that lends itself to success on the interior. Smaller than desired with below average length and that could hurt his draft stock, but he's a plus in pass protection and decent in run blocking and could become an eventual starter with time.

7. Tyrone Swoopes, TE, Texas (6'4", 245 lbs.)

NOTE: Scouting report on Tyrone Swoopes not completed yet at NFL.com.

From Matt Miller's notebook:

Alex Dunlap of Orangebloods reported Texas quarterback Tyrone Swoopes will enter the NFL draft as a tight end. Swoopes, who is listed at 6'4" and 250 pounds, was more of a bulldozer in short-yardage situations than passing quarterback this past season. This is the smartest move for his future because NFL scouts are likely to see him as a raw athletic canvas they can mold into a box-out tight end. Swoopes should expect to hear his name called late in the draft or even as an undrafted free agent.
Naismith

Postby Sammich » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:26 pm

I could get behind that updated mock except for the Mixon pick. That guy is a dirtbag no matter how talented he is. I am not saying the team needs to be all choir boys, but there is a limit to how shady we should be willing to go. Other than him I could definitely get behind it. Heavy on the heavies.
Sammich

Postby Super K » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:33 pm

Sammich wrote:...except for the Mixon pick. That guy is a dirtbag no matter how talented he is. I am not saying the team needs to be all choir boys, but there is a limit to how shady we should be willing to go.

Agreed..

I've seen Mixon mocked to us a bunch..don't agree with or like it..

Obviously, at the end of the day it's not my, or anyone around here's, call..but I don't want that guy in Pewter n Red..
Super K

Postby Four Verticals » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:16 pm

I applaud anyone who takes the time to do the research and post a mock particularly when knowing when a player may be drafted is so difficult to determine.

With this mock, there seems to be too many with "issues" regarding effort or how much they've played where they are playing. Those are qualities I'd like the Bucs to stay away from.

As far as Mixon pick, I don't think the Bucs would draft him. Some team may but I think the only way he gets to the Bucs is if they happen to sign him as an UDFA which I also think unlikely. He's not been chosen to go to the NFL combine which I found interesting.
Four Verticals

Postby Nano » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:19 pm

I wouldn't mind him being here. While he did do something incredibly stupid when he was 18(Should've walked away when she started hitting him), that's not always indicative that you're a terrible human being. He's probably learned a lesson from it, not to mention he knows it will be with him forever. He's generally well liked at OU(from reports) and scouts have said that he's considered "half the douchbag that Tyreek Hill was considered last year"..............yeah.

Talent wise, he'd be an arguable first round pick behind Cook and Fournette if not for the incident. TBH, I think we're more likely than other teams to take Mixon as Licht has shown he doesn't mind taking chances on players with a past (ASJ, Noah Spence, Winston)
Nano

Postby Four Verticals » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:32 pm

IIRC there was a second, less serious issue, also involving a woman and he was fairly non apologetic in response to all of it. He's not been invited to the combine for a reason.

It's a tough sell for whichever team has him in a tough environment for what he's been involved in.
Four Verticals

Postby Nano » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:18 pm

His other issue was he freaked out after getting a parking ticket...and threw it at the attendant. OU suspended him 1 game while they did an investigation but nothing came out of it. They decided not to charge him
Nano

Postby Brazen331 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:42 pm

Nano wrote:His other issue was he freaked out after getting a parking ticket...and threw it at the attendant. OU wwsuspended him 1 game while they did an investigation but nothing came out of it. They decided not to charge him

I read that he inched at the attendant with his vehicle as if he was going to run her over after tearing up the ticket. The woman her punched in the face broke a bone when her head hit the table. The dude isn't on our draft board guys. I mean, really.
Brazen331

Postby threadkiller » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:19 pm

I hope we are investigating Mixon. I certainly wouldn't dismiss him as "off the board". Unless he has other issues, I wouldn't mind drafting him late.
threadkiller

Postby Nano » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:23 pm

I imagine he's on most teams draft board, though probalby towards the bottom. I can see him getting drafted in like the 6th or 7th round...or he'llgo quickly in UDFA. Either way, he'll be in someone's camp next year
Nano

Postby mdb1958 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:28 pm

Man, I hope our linebackers do well against these great running backs.
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:41 pm

Stay tuned, We! Need to fix the linebackers in the 2018 draft.
mdb1958

Postby Nano » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:13 pm

Well MDB, have I got the linebacker for you.

He's athletic! He can lay the heat!

And he comes from a school that nobody has heard about!!!

I present to you... Brandyn Bartlett, OLB, Tusculum College

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/2609236/5721dc950c5e681224b725d3

He made his own highlights
Nano

Postby Naismith » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:25 pm

I have faith in the Bucs to do their background check on Mixon. What he did is not, personally, a deal breaker. What it means about his overall character could make it one, but I have no way of knowing that information.
Naismith

Postby Brazen331 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:51 am

Naismith wrote:I have faith in the Bucs to do their background check on Mixon. What he did is not, personally, a deal breaker. What it means about his overall character could make it one, but I have no way of knowing that information.

There is a difference between punching a woman in the face and having it caught on tape. I believe she slapped first but still...remember Ray Rice. I read on Wikipedia there is footage of the incident. If true, and if it can be seen I seriously doubt Licht pulls the trigger.
Brazen331

Postby terrytate » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:32 am

Brazen331 wrote:
Naismith wrote:I have faith in the Bucs to do their background check on Mixon. What he did is not, personally, a deal breaker. What it means about his overall character could make it one, but I have no way of knowing that information.

There is a difference between punching a woman in the face and having it caught on tape. I believe she slapped first but still...remember Ray Rice. I read on Wikipedia there is footage of the incident. If true, and if it can be seen I seriously doubt Licht pulls the trigger.

There is.

Supposedly they used a couple of racial slurs towards Mixon. What you can see in the video is that he was trying to leave. The blonde stood up and shoved him. He bowed up aggressively at her, then she hit him in the face. Then of course, he drilled her in the head. To me, they both should have been charged.
terrytate

Postby Sammich » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:42 am

What gets left out of the story with Mixon KOing that girl is that it started outside before the video. According to her, Mixon and his friends were catcalling her and making rude remarks about the guy she was with. Unfriendly words were exchanged and her and the guy went into the restaurant to get away from Mixon and his friends. Mixon decided to follow and the interaction in the video takes place.
Sammich

Postby Bootz2004 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:47 am

I don't see how anyone can be sympathetic to either of their positions. Clearly something occured outside of the restaurant. She looked shaken and upset. He followed them into the restaurant(big mistake) #1, confronted them (big mistake #2), she pushed him away, he jumped at her, she slapped him, he knocked her lights out and ran. I have no sympathy for him and what he's going thru. We aren't drafting him and we shouldn't. At least she got away from the initial incident but she shouldn't have put her hands on him.

All that said, I wish there was audio of what was said. Not that it matters but if 1 side threatened the other then that helps put things in perspective a little better.
Bootz2004

Postby DraftLine » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:36 pm

If he is that good then I'd love Mixon in the 4th. He was Young and drunk plus she actually hit him (though not hard).
Give it a rest.
DraftLine

Postby Naismith » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:07 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:I don't see how anyone can be sympathetic to either of their positions.

Agreed. I don't think there's a justification for what he did and I think she was in the wrong as well (though her part is largely irrelevant). Mixon's transgression could certainly be an indication of a continuing issue, in which case he's undraftable (especially due to his position) or it could be a really stupid mistake he made on his 18th birthday that he gets a lot of backlash for but ultimately motivates him to improve himself as a person and ends up being an anomaly when all is said and done. None of us have enough information to know that for sure, but the Bucs will.
Naismith

Postby real bucs fan » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:38 pm

Mixon is undraftable to me, especially for the Bucs. Cutting Martin to replace him with Mixon makes little sense.

And what he did is unforgivable. I don't care what she said, or that she pushed him (who cares?), the fact he followed her into the restaurant says he was looking for trouble. Multiple witnesses say he was calling the girls friend (who was gay) a "faggot" and that's why she pushed him.

Doubt anyone who is liberal enough to have a gay friend is just dropping N-bombs like Mixon claims, and regardless words are still no excuse even if she did.
real bucs fan

Postby Selmon Rules » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:08 pm

***cough, Lawrence Phillips***
Selmon Rules

Postby Pewterslimsme » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:54 pm

Nope. Deal killer. Same way it was for me w/ Jerramy Stevens.
Pewterslimsme

Next

Return to College Football/Draft Talk