Day 2 and Day 3 Targets

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Day 2 and Day 3 Targets

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:34 pm

We have a thread for our 1st rounder, and we even have a thread for UDFAs. Day 2 is actually my favorite day of the draft. Day 1, is generally about selecting the best player for your team who falls to you, while Day 2 requires a bit more strategy. Firstly, there are always guys who slip to Day 2 who you didn't think were going to be there. Noah Spence was likely one of those guys last year. As well, most GMs take a "targeting" approach on Day 2. you see alot more trades than you do on Day 1, as GMs try and secure guys they have identified to come in and compete at positional needs. We saw that in 2015 where Jason Licht said that after taking their QB Winston 1st overall, the goal on Day 2 was securing o-lineman they identified in Donovan Smith and Ali Marpet (who he traded up for). It's also fair to assume he did that last year when he controversially traded up for Roberto Aguayo, a guy he clearly identified to be our kicker.

Anyways, here's a thread to discuss those guys. Guys you think could be identified as targets for the Bucs on Day 2 and even Day 3.

Here are some guys I'd keep my eye on:

WR:
Dede Westbrook
Isaiah Ford
Curtis Samuel

RB:
D'Onta Foreman (Could be Koetters bellcow if the Martin era ends)

OL:
Ethan Pocic
Forrest Lamp (college OT who'll shift inside in the pros and I think could be groomed to be an excellent center down the line)
Pat Elflein
Erik Magnuson

TE:
Jeremy Sprinkle

CB:
Channing Stribling
real bucs fan

Re: Day 2 and Day 3 Targets

Postby theBKwhopper » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:00 pm

A few offensive players I've looked at.

Brian Hill(RB)
Kareem Hunt(RB)
Stacey Coley(WR)
Taylor Moton (OT)
Pat Elflein(C)

Btw, I really like Foreman. I wouldn't mind him in the 2nd, preferably the 3rd.
theBKwhopper

Postby Gotheem11 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:09 pm

K.D Cannon WR Baylor
Travis Rudolph WR FSU
Jamaal Williams RB BYU
Samaj Perine RB Oklahoma
Wayne Gallman RB Clem
Njoku TE Miami (if he's there)
James Connor RB Pitt
Gotheem11

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:18 pm

theBKwhopper wrote:A few offensive players I've looked at.

Brian Hill(RB)
Kareem Hunt(RB)
Stacey Coley(WR)
Taylor Moton (OT)
Pat Elflein(C)

Btw, I really like Foreman. I wouldn't mind him in the 2nd, preferably the 3rd.

Me too. As a pure runner, a guy who you can hand it off to 300 times in a season, he might be my favorite back in the draft. Dudes a monster in that Blount/Lynch mold.

According to Todd McShay he could go in the 1st round though.
real bucs fan

Postby Super K » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:38 pm

Sprinkle's dumbass just got busted and consequently suspended from the bowl game for shoplifting didn't he?
Super K

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:41 pm

Super K wrote:Sprinkle's dumbass just got busted and consequently suspended from the bowl game for shoplifting didn't he?

Wow, what a dummy. Still like him as a Day 3 guy though!
real bucs fan

Postby Nano » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:37 am

real bucs fan wrote:
Super K wrote:Sprinkle's dumbass just got busted and consequently suspended from the bowl game for shoplifting didn't he?

Wow, what a dummy. Still like him as a Day 3 guy though!

He got busted for shoplifting at Belk
Nano

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:17 am

Gotheem11 wrote:K.D Cannon WR Baylor
Travis Rudolph WR FSU
Jamaal Williams RB BYU
Samaj Perine RB Oklahoma
Wayne Gallman RB Clem
Njoku TE Miami (if he's there)
James Connor RB Pitt

I think Connor got injured in his bowl game.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby pewterpirates » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:39 am

I'm not sure about Foreman. He seems like a guy with a very short shelf life. And I don't know if his style will translate to the NFL. He won't be breaking as many tackles or running as many defenders over like he did in college. It's hard for many players to carry that style over from NCAA to NFL.
pewterpirates

Postby Native Son » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:14 pm

Bucs should let the fans vote on the 2nd rounder.
JL and Co. can't assess talent worth a damn, let alone the previous GM(s) and their mooks.

You can't do any worse other than not making it to the dais in time. :roll:
Native Son

Postby Corsair » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:05 am

I'm a big fan of Alvin Kamara.
Corsair

Postby theBKwhopper » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:03 am

Any USF fans that can give me their opinion on Marlon Mack?
theBKwhopper

Postby Doctor » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:21 am

Dede Westbrook scares the crap out of me, but then again IDK if I could pass on that speed.
Doctor

Postby Naismith » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:04 pm

Can anyone talk about Ricky Seals-Jones? He was a 5 star recruit and is huge but apparently didn't do much in college before declaring early. Thoughts on where he goes and what happened to him in college?
Naismith

Postby pewterpirates » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:36 pm

Naismith wrote:Can anyone talk about Ricky Seals-Jones? He was a 5 star recruit and is huge but apparently didn't do much in college before declaring early. Thoughts on where he goes and what happened to him in college?

To me, he's a poor POOR man's version of Mike Evans. Even if we didn't already have a receiver like Evans, I would want no part of him.
pewterpirates

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:55 pm

Native Son wrote:Bucs should let the fans vote on the 2nd rounder.
JL and Co. can't assess talent worth a damn, let alone the previous GM(s) and their mooks.

You can't do any worse other than not making it to the dais in time. :roll:

Noah Spence looks a pretty solid 2nd round pick, but we'll see.

ASJ had tons of talent, but we missed on character with him.

You're right on so far with Aguayo, but I don't think his issues this year were talent as much as mental. But he was bad regardless.
DreadNaught

Postby Bucs N Beers » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:05 pm

I live in Virginia and am a big Hokie fan. I'd love for us to pick up Isiah Ford and he'd be a great pick in the 2nd round, though he might not make it all the way there. He's a 4.4-4.5 guy, good route runner, good body control. He broke records at VT with less than stellar QB play. I love what Jerod Evans brings, but he's not a dynamic pocket passer. Brewer/Motley in 2015 were average.

Bucs N Beers

Postby Bucs N Beers » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:12 pm

While I'm talking about my Hokies - I have to bring up Bucky Hodges. He could end up in the 1st round, but I think he'll be an early round 2 guy. Huge TE that I think wasn't used correctly a lot of the time. He was often split out wide as a WR to take advantage of his size, but I think he's an even better mismatch problem against LB's. He's going to make a lot of money in the NFL running up the seam.

Also, he's 6'7" :lol:

Bucs N Beers

Postby Super K » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:02 pm

I was at that Pitt/V-tech game this year...

What a game..The Hokies were unstoppable in the pass game..I think they had 3 guys with over 100 yards receiving each..and each guy averaged over 18 yards a catch..

It was craziness..
Super K

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:27 pm

Bucs N Beers wrote:I live in Virginia and am a big Hokie fan. I'd love for us to pick up Isiah Ford and he'd be a great pick in the 2nd round, though he might not make it all the way there. He's a 4.4-4.5 guy, good route runner, good body control. He broke records at VT with less than stellar QB play. I love what Jerod Evans brings, but he's not a dynamic pocket passer. Brewer/Motley in 2015 were average.

He's my favorite Day 2 WR. He might not have the superstar upside of some of the other guys, but I think he's a lock to be a quality #2 and would be a great fit within our offence.
real bucs fan

Postby pewterpirates » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:38 pm

West Virginia WR Shelton Gibson just declared for the draft. What round will he go in? He has some nice speed based on what I saw just from watching a couple of WV games.
pewterpirates

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:40 pm

pewterpirates wrote:West Virginia WR Shelton Gibson just declared for the draft. What round will he go in? He has some nice speed based on what I saw just from watching a couple of WV games.

If he runs the 4.32 he thinks he can at the combine.....22 YPC this season btw. No clue what round he projects to. I'll guess back end of the 3rd.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:01 pm

Anyone know if that tall white WR (racist!) from Minnesota is projected to get drafted late? He always seemed to make plays in the MINN games I watched
Zarniwoop

Postby Bucs N Beers » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:47 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:Anyone know if that tall white WR (racist!) from Minnesota is projected to get drafted late? He always seemed to make plays in the MINN games I watched

No idea, but speaking of White Minnesota WR's - Adam Theilen is a Restricted Free Agent. We are projected to have 4x the cap space that the Vikings will have. I would assume they offer him a second round tender.

He's 26 years old, just had a season where he put up 69/967/5 and runs a 4.45 40. Would it be worth it to snag a guy like that using our 2nd round pick?
Bucs N Beers

Postby Cheb » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:13 am

Bucs N Beers wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:Anyone know if that tall white WR (racist!) from Minnesota is projected to get drafted late? He always seemed to make plays in the MINN games I watched

No idea, but speaking of White Minnesota WR's - Adam Theilen is a Restricted Free Agent. We are projected to have 4x the cap space that the Vikings will have. I would assume they offer him a second round tender.

He's 26 years old, just had a season where he put up 69/967/5 and runs a 4.45 40. Would it be worth it to snag a guy like that using our 2nd round pick?

No.

I am always leery of trading away draft capital, though.
Cheb

Postby MJW » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:00 am

Cheb wrote:
Bucs N Beers wrote:

No.

I am always leery of trading away draft capital, though.

I agree. The only time I remember wanting to go after a RFA that expensive was Sam Shields. At the time, I believe he was 24 and already one of the best young corners in the league. I *think* this was the Revis/Banks year? Anyway, it would have cost us a 2nd plus a new contract. It would have been worth it.

In this case...No. Thielen isn't special. A huge part of the reason draft picks are awesome is because they give you dirt-cheap talent locked in for four-five years. Even if Thielen did play well for us, he'd literally cost 10x more against the cap than that 2nd round pick would.
MJW

Postby mdb1958 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:37 am

Hey MJW, Taywan Taylor? Could he help us

by Jon Dove1 month agoFollow @Jon_Dove42
TWEET
x
COMMENT
Western Kentucky’s Taywan Taylor is a 2017 NFL Draft wide receiver prospect who deserves more attention.

Taywan Taylor is an explosive playmaker who is highly underrated as a prospect. He features the quick-twitch ability needed to outpace defenders and create separation. This quickness makes him a true home-run threat.

Taylor’s ability to take the top off the defense also helps open things up underneath. He has a well-rounded route tree thanks to his suddenness. Taylor plays with a lot of balance which helps him change direction and run crisp routes.

He has experience working out of both the slot and on the outside. Taylor is listed at 6’1”, but that seems to be a generous measurement. However, his official measurement won’t sway his overall draft stock because he plays big.

Taylor has excellent reach which allows him to make plays on poorly thrown balls. His strong hands help him to consistently pluck the ball away from his frame and make those tough catches in traffic. Taylor plays without fear.

He’s the type of receiver who quarterbacks will quickly love. Taylor knows how to locate the opening in the defense and always works back to the quarterback. This is someone who is elusive enough to take a short pass and turn it into a big gain.

The biggest question mark facing Taylor is the level of competition he faces. He wasn’t as effective when Western Kentucky faced Alabama this past season. However, some of that was due to inconsistent quarterback play.

Overall, this is a top-end prospect who deserves 1st round attention. He someone who can produce game-changing plays and also help move the chains.

Current Draft Status: Early 2nd Round

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dont know about 1st or 2nd round attention, but I surely would be watching if he is around later - could be a steal for us. With us he wouldnt have to be the top weapon like he has been on his college team - here he could be just one of the WR group who ends up excelling because nobody took a chance on him and it turned into a great pick for us.
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:51 am

I look at it this way, with us he wouldnt have to average over a hundred yards a game for us like he did his last two years in college. draftscout has his low for a forty at 4.30. If he hits something like that at the combine -- the fire for him is going off the charts.
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:53 am

mdb1958

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:38 am

A mid round WR I really like is Josh Reynolds. He's a bit of a developmental guy- doubt he'd be able to start day 1, but dude is a heck of a talent (a 6'4" athlete with natural skills) and I wouldn't be shocked if we are talking about him as a Pro Bowler in a few years. If we miss out on our desired WRs early, I'd take a chance on him as early as round 3. Maybe earlier. Reminds me a bit of Martavis Bryant without the off-field concerns, though perhaps not as twitched up.
real bucs fan

Next

Return to College Football/Draft Talk