With the 19th pick in the 2017 draft Bucs select...

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Re: With the 19th pick in the 2017 draft Bucs select...

Postby Doctor » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:31 am

Teitan wrote:Greg Auman brought up that maybe the browns would part with their 2 second rounders. Yes please!!

Engram-Mixon-Maye-Tabor!!!!

Or something like that..

There's going to be a stud that falls to the second. Maybe Cooks (doubtful) or Njoku or Peppers, maybe an OL. Last year Emmanuel Ogbah, Jaylon Smith, Myles Jack and Noah Spence were all talked about as top 10 picks, all ended up in the 2nd. Happens every year.
Doctor

Postby Buc2 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:33 am

Doctor wrote:
Teitan wrote:Greg Auman brought up that maybe the browns would part with their 2 second rounders. Yes please!!

Or something like that..

There's going to be a stud that falls to the second. Maybe Cooks (doubtful) or Njoku or Peppers, maybe an OL. Last year Emmanuel Ogbah, Jaylon Smith, Myles Jack and Noah Spence were all talked about as top 10 picks, all ended up in the 2nd. Happens every year.

Maybe Cook too.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:36 am

I'm totally fine with trading back. We are looking for depth for this roster and this draft is deep.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Doctor » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:07 am

Buc2 wrote:
Doctor wrote:There's going to be a stud that falls to the second. Maybe Cooks (doubtful) or Njoku or Peppers, maybe an OL. Last year Emmanuel Ogbah, Jaylon Smith, Myles Jack and Noah Spence were all talked about as top 10 picks, all ended up in the 2nd. Happens every year.

Maybe Cook too.

Indeed, maybe. I'm just not buying it. Besides it being a copy cat league, there's a reason him falling to us at 19 was a long shot not long ago. You have the Bengals, Colts, Eagles, Ravens, even the Skins ahead of us and the Broncos, Giants, Lions, Seahawks, Chiefs, and Packers behind us. Any of those teams could easily plug in a player like Cook and ride him into the playoffs.
Doctor

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:24 am

Or something like that..

I like the thought of almost having another linebacker!

Engram-Obi-Willis-Witherspoon
mdb1958

Postby Teitan » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:37 am

I'm not sold on Obi. I'd rather have a guy like Maye who might come in and start right away. I'd feel pretty nice about our safeties with him.
Teitan

Postby Naismith » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:42 am

I'm completely on the Engram bandwagon if they can get him in the second round, though I think he's going to be more of an excellent receiver than tight end. I wouldn't be ecstatic about him in the first round outside of trading back and picking up more picks, but would prefer him to any of the wide receivers.
Naismith

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:09 am

Teitan wrote:I'm not sold on Obi. I'd rather have a guy like Maye who might come in and start right away. I'd feel pretty nice about our safeties with him.

I'll be the first to say I was wrong (maybe), but I think Obi will become a very special player. A guy the size of a linebacker with 4.40 speed c/mon. I think we could be more creative with our linebackers with this guy helping out.
mdb1958

Postby Bootz2004 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:29 am

mdb1958 wrote:
Teitan wrote:I'm not sold on Obi. I'd rather have a guy like Maye who might come in and start right away. I'd feel pretty nice about our safeties with him.

I'll be the first to say I was wrong (maybe), but I think Obi will become a very special player. A guy the size of a linebacker with 4.40 speed c/mon. I think we could be more creative with our linebackers with this guy helping out.

How many 6-4 220 pound LBs are there in the league? Nothing about him says LB.
Bootz2004

Postby Bootz2004 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:36 am

Last edited by Bootz2004 on Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bootz2004

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:52 am

Loving the Engram love.

If Cook is off the board, trading down and landing Evan Engram, D'Onta Foreman, Dion Dawkins and Sidney Jones on Day 2 would be beautiful.
real bucs fan

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:01 am

Obi Melifonwu

What he does best:

Ideal size, athleticism and physicality to play man against tight ends at the next level.
Can cover a ton of ground in a flash and make it look easy because of his long stride.
Played a variety of alignments at UConn and will offer the same level of versatility in the NFL.
When he breaks down in space he is a solid open-field tackler who can wrap up and drive his man backward as well as adjust to quick cuts.
Excels at running at full speed to his target and either locating the ball at the catch point or playing his man’s hands as the ball arrives.
Closing, long speed uncommon for his size.
Gave up more than 60 receiving yards in a game just four times total in the past two seasons.
Held his own on multiple reps at cornerback during Senior Bowl practices.
mdb1958

Postby Super K » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:40 am

I'm more than likely in the minority here, but I HATE the idea of trading back out of the the 1st..

Flame away..
Super K

Postby Teitan » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:42 am

Super K wrote:I'm more than likely in the minority here, but I HATE the idea of trading back out of the the 1st..

Flame away..

It's certainly not my ideal route. I'd rather do that than trade UP, though. And if we can get a haul, I'll get behind it.

I'd much rather use our pick at 19.
Teitan

Postby pewterpirates » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:46 am

Super K wrote:I'm more than likely in the minority here, but I HATE the idea of trading back out of the the 1st..

Flame away..

I'm with you.

While I agree we need depth, we also still need 2-3 more impact players overall. Ideal situation is trading back 5-8 spots, still getting someone like Cook, while picking up an extra 3rd. But that's unlikely.
pewterpirates

Postby Super K » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:50 am

Teitan wrote:

Flame away..

It's certainly not my ideal route. I'd rather do that than trade UP, though. And if we can get a haul, I'll get behind it.

I'd much rather use our pick at 19.

No doubt..**** trading up..

But as Cheb illustrated somewhere, a top guy IS gonna fall to #19..

Some QBs go off the board ahead of us as rumored today (Trubisky to 9ers and Watson/Mahomes to Cleveland at 12) and even more top guys fall..

Stay at 19 and get a "great" guy instead of dropping into the 2nd trying to get some extra "good" guys..
Super K

Postby Super K » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:51 am

pewterpirates wrote:

Flame away..

I'm with you.

While I agree we need depth, we also still need 2-3 more impact players overall. Ideal situation is trading back 5-8 spots, still getting someone like Cook, while picking up an extra 3rd. But that's unlikely.

Hop aboard the bus, lots of room!

;)
Super K

Postby Nano » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:56 am

I wouldn't mind trading down, but not out of the first entirely. Too many good players we'd be passing on. We'd also lose the 5th year option if we did pick someone good
Nano

Postby Buc2 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:00 pm

While I was all for trading down and getting a lower 1st round pick plus additional picks when we owned the #1 overall selection, I'm not so inclined with the #19 overall selection...especially if it means moving out of the round entirely. I just don't see a realistic "haul" that could implore me to do that.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Jason Bourne » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:00 pm

Jason Bourne

Postby Sammich » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:55 pm

Buc2 wrote:Not very often does this guy get it, but he got this right...

What Bucs absolutely should not do in draft's first round
Tom Jones, Times Sports Columnist
Tuesday, April 25, 2017 3:24pm

At approximately 10:30 Thursday night, commissioner Roger Goodell is expected to walk to the podium at the NFL draft holding a card that announces which player the Bucs will select with the 19th pick.

Many Bucs fans are hoping for Florida State running back Dalvin Cook. Mock drafts galore have Cook going to Tampa Bay. And if not Cook, there's a pie-in-the-sky dream that LSU's Leonard Fournette or Stanford's Christian McCaffrey lands here.

After all, the Bucs look like they need a running back, and this draft has plenty of good ones.

So let's say no team takes a running back in the first 18 picks and the Bucs have their choice of every back in the land. Which one should they take?

None of them.

Taking a running back in the first round is just not smart.

Plenty will disagree with that theory, and history has its share of first-round picks who went on to be sensational running backs with long careers. Emmitt Smith, Walter Payton, Barry Sanders, LaDainian Tomlinson, Eric Dickerson, Tony Dorsett — all first-round picks.

But in today's game, with an emphasis on throwing the ball, with a shorter shelf life for backs, with specialized backs, with so many backs available to be acquired outside the first round, the top of the draft should be used for something other than running back.

Defensive line. Offensive line. Cornerback. Linebacker. Those are hard positions to fill. Typically, you need to draft those players and draft them high.

Elite left tackles, star defensive tackles, shutdown corners — those guys are hard to find in free agency. If they're good, their teams don't let them make it to free agency. If they're really good, they aren't waiting to be picked late in the draft.

But running back? Times have changed. Spending a high draft pick to get one is not necessary.

Story continued...

I don't know anything about the author, but that is a good article and I agree 100%. Spending a first on a runningback would be a waste. Too many players at high value positions will be available at 19 (assuming we don't trade down). Combine that with the great depth at RB in this draft and it only makes sense to get one later.
Sammich

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:06 pm

Jason Bourne wrote:http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/04/26/report-buccaneers-talking-about-trading-back/

Do not trade back !

None of them!
mdb1958

Postby Alpha » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:12 pm

This is my final prediction. Been listening to a lot of local (Tampa) area folks over the last several days. Pooter Report guys. Local radio hacks. A few (though not many) national articles as well. The name that gets almost zero notice.

Forrest Lamp

It makes sense on many levels. Ali is moving to Center. Pamphile is a FA at the end of the year. There is some talk that IF he re-signs, he'll take over at RT for Big Dot. Sweezy is not guaranteed to be healthy, when he does return. We could use a solid, if not spectacular interior lineman.

Lamp is damn well regarded. Not a sexy pick but drafting OL/DL is almost never a bad thing.

So at 19, we select Forrest Lamp out of W. Kentucky.
Alpha

Postby Jason Bourne » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:25 pm

mdb1958 wrote:
Jason Bourne wrote:http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/04/26/report-buccaneers-talking-about-trading-back/

Do not trade back !

None of them!

No everybody but the Bucs
Jason Bourne

Postby Super K » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:28 pm

Alpha wrote:This is my final prediction. Been listening to a lot of local (Tampa) area folks over the last several days. Pooter Report guys. Local radio hacks. A few (though not many) national articles as well. The name that gets almost zero notice.

Forrest Lamp

It makes sense on many levels. Ali is moving to Center. Pamphile is a FA at the end of the year. There is some talk that IF he re-signs, he'll take over at RT for Big Dot. Sweezy is not guaranteed to be healthy, when he does return. We could use a solid, if not spectacular interior lineman.

Lamp is damn well regarded. Not a sexy pick but drafting OL/DL is almost never a bad thing.

And I'd be 1000% good with this...

And "good" is a massive understatement..

I just believe it is wishful thinking..
Super K

Postby Alpha » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:38 pm

Super K wrote:
Alpha wrote:This is my final prediction. Been listening to a lot of local (Tampa) area folks over the last several days. Pooter Report guys. Local radio hacks. A few (though not many) national articles as well. The name that gets almost zero notice.

Forrest Lamp

And I'd be 1000% good with this...

And "good" is a massive understatement..

I just believe it is wishful thinking..

Maybe not as wishful as you might imagine. He was also recently in Tampa for a "special visit". Sure...he wasn't the only one but he IS on their radar. I haven't seen many (if any) mock drafts that have him going much earlier so it is likely that he'll be available.

And let's be honest...Licht has been pretty damn good about keeping his picks a secret. Lamp has received almost NO mention when it comes to our selection at 19.

The pick just makes sense. And we have the added benefit of not having to deal with the "Problem Children". And that list keeps growing by the day:

Cook
Mixon
Peppers
Foster
The kid out of OSU under suspicion for rape

Stay the hell away from all of them.
Alpha

Postby ComingThisFall » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:03 pm

I love Lamp
And Njoku
Please make one of these happen Dom!
ComingThisFall

Postby Doctor » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:14 pm

Forrest Lamp

It would have to be a very bad draft for us to take Lamp and me be okay with it.
Doctor

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:23 pm

Doctor wrote:

Forrest Lamp

It would have to be a very bad draft for us to take Lamp and me be okay with it.

As long he contributes and plays out his rookie contract it's a great ****ing pick, amirite? :P
DreadNaught

Postby Corsair » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:25 pm

I would entertain a trade back, especially this year.

But if we were to trade out of the first round, I expect at least a first round pick for 2018 in exchange.

Wouldn't that be nice?
Last edited by Corsair on Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corsair

PreviousNext

Return to College Football/Draft Talk