With the 19th pick in the 2017 draft Bucs select...

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Re: With the 19th pick in the 2017 draft Bucs select...

Postby Cheb » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:57 am

mdb1958 wrote:
Cheb wrote:
Julio Jones is debatably the best wide receiver in football. He has averaged over 100 yards per game for the last four years. He would not be easily shut down by a rookie safety, of all people.

And asking your rookie safety to shut down one of the best targets in the game is a recipe for disaster. Borderline suicidal.

I don't like Obi. At all. Late risers in the draft who rise because of track drills are a huge red flag for me. His film is pedestrian. Do not want.

I know right? Who would want a long safety with length and speed, when you could have the fabulous Budda struggling to bring down Julio after a 55 yard pass

Budda is less than an inch shorter and about ten pounds lighter than Earl Thomas, who has no issues tackling larger players. After a certain point, size doesn't matter when tackling. Technique and effort are far more important than size.

I feel that you are drafting him based on his combine drills, not based on how good he is at football. This is a perilous error.

Just watch a Baker game, then watch an Obi game. You will see why Baker was a consensus All-American despite worse stats than your boy. You will (hopefully) also see why I think Obi will ultimately be a JAG.
Cheb

Postby beardmcdoug » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:32 am

Cheb wrote:
mdb1958 wrote:

I know right? Who would want a long safety with length and speed, when you could have the fabulous Budda struggling to bring down Julio after a 55 yard pass

Budda is less than an inch shorter and about ten pounds lighter than Earl Thomas, who has no issues tackling larger players. After a certain point, size doesn't matter when tackling. Technique and effort are far more important than size.

I feel that you are drafting him based on his combine drills, not based on how good he is at football. This is a perilous error.

Just watch a Baker game, then watch an Obi game. You will see why Baker was a consensus All-American despite worse stats than your boy. You will (hopefully) also see why I think Obi will ultimately be a JAG.

beardmcdoug

Postby Super K » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:33 am

Holy **** I just burst out laughing..co-workers are looking at me like I've finally lost it..
Super K

Postby beardmcdoug » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:34 am

Super K wrote:Holy **** I just burst out laughing..co-workers are looking at me like I've finally lost it..

lmfao
beardmcdoug

Postby Nano » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:44 am

Kind of disappointed that mdb didn't chirp in when he was drafted during the mock draft
Nano

Postby Jason Bourne » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:20 am

J O H N. R O S S

welcome to Tampa
Jason Bourne

Postby theBKwhopper » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:12 pm

I'm on board with Mixon. Watched his apology and seemed sincere. I'm not against people who have made mistakes, just people who show no remorse. So, to the best of my ability, I have judged and I feel okay drafting Mixon.
theBKwhopper

Postby beardmcdoug » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:18 pm

theBKwhopper wrote:I'm on board with Mixon. Watched his apology and seemed sincere. I'm not against people who have made mistakes, just people who show no remorse. So, to the best of my ability, I have judged and I feel okay drafting Mixon.

Her words: "I am happy we were able to bring the lawsuit to an end... From our private discussions I am satisfied that we are going to put this behind us and work towards helping others who may have found themselves in similar circumstances. I greatly appreciate his apology and I think the feelings he expressed were sincere. We both could have handled things differently.... It's time to move on from that. I wish Joe the best of luck in his future"

After this, and watching the video, and seeing both sides... I'm 100% on board with drafting the guy
beardmcdoug

Postby theBKwhopper » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:24 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:
theBKwhopper wrote:I'm on board with Mixon. Watched his apology and seemed sincere. I'm not against people who have made mistakes, just people who show no remorse. So, to the best of my ability, I have judged and I feel okay drafting Mixon.

Her words: "I am happy we were able to bring the lawsuit to an end... From our private discussions I am satisfied that we are going to put this behind us and work towards helping others who may have found themselves in similar circumstances. I greatly appreciate his apology and I think the feelings he expressed were sincere. We both could have handled things differently.... It's time to move on from that. I wish Joe the best of luck in his future"

After this, and watching the video, and seeing both sides... I'm 100% on board with drafting the guy

Yeah, that solidifies him as my top guy.
theBKwhopper

Postby Buc2 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:24 pm

If I stood to lose millions, I'd be remorseful too. I'm not saying he is or isn't remorseful, but what he did is very disturbing and I'd have to think long and hard before rewarding him with millions of dollars whether he showed remorse or not. Honestly, a lot would ride on what the team investigators have reported in regards to his character before and since that incident and, in light of the statement beardmcdoug posted, if he came up clean in the investigation, I think I'd be okay with him on our team as well.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:28 pm

Cheb wrote:
mdb1958 wrote:

I've tried to get in the Obi bandwagon, but the guy just doesn't impress me as a football player. He measures and tests well, and maybe he can be coached up, but he's not physical for a 6'4" 220lb DB.

When I watch Budda Baker I see a football player, a guy that can impact the game a multitude of ways on defense ala Tyrann Mathieu.
DreadNaught

Postby theBKwhopper » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:29 pm

Buc2 wrote:

If I stood to lose millions, I'd be remorseful too. I'm not saying he is or isn't remorseful, but what he did is very disturbing and I'd have to think long and hard before rewarding him with millions of dollars whether he showed remorse or not. Honestly, a lot would ride on what the team investigators have reported in regards to his character before and since that incident and, in light of the statement beardmcdoug posted, if he came up clean in the investigation, I think I'd be okay with him on our team as well.

For sure. Like I said. It was to the best of MY judgement. But, obviously it takes more than just watching a video.
theBKwhopper

Postby Super K » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:45 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
Cheb wrote:

I've tried to get in the Obi bandwagon, but the guy just doesn't impress me as a football player. He measures and tests well, and maybe he can be coached up, but he's not physical for a 6'4" 220lb DB.

When I watch Budda Baker I see a football player, a guy that can impact the game a multitude of ways on defense ala Tyrann Mathieu.

100% agree..

Likewise, watching tape breakdown of Obi, his reaction to the play/situation is slow..really slow..

I'm talking the rest of the defense has moved and he's still in his stance slow..

On paper he's Tarzan..on the field he's Jane..
Super K

Postby threadkiller » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:46 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
Cheb wrote:

I didn't see a soft football player on tape. He looked to come down toward the line with the intention of hitting people when he recognized run. He just doesn't look like a football player. At all. I don't know how you'd expect him to play safety in the NFL. Read QBs and routes, assess threat levels, he doesn't seem to have the natural instincts to build those concepts off of. If you could define him a very specific role and not ask him to read/react, he might be able to contribute early on his athleticism. It's a huge gamble that he develops the instincts to play as a zone safety (or zone anything), imo. I might have never seen Baker take a snap at deep safety (biggest reason I wouldn't consider him @ 19), but at least he plays football well.
threadkiller

Postby pewterpirates » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:00 pm

Gut feeling — If Dalvin Cook isn't there at 19 and we can find a decent trade back option, we'll do that then take Mixon in the 2nd. If Mixon is gone, Perine in the 3rd.
pewterpirates

Previous

Return to College Football/Draft Talk