With the 19th pick in the 2017 draft Bucs select...

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Re: With the 19th pick in the 2017 draft Bucs select...

Postby MJW » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:44 am

I think this is a great draft if we decide we want a DB, or a TE, or an edge, and a lossssy draft if we want anything else. I think we'll probably take one of those three spots eventually and be merry.
MJW

Postby Brazen331 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:41 am

Alpha wrote:
Doctor wrote:Your floor s very generous. I say his floor is Reggie Bush, maybe CJ Spiller.

There is absolutely ZERO evidence (thus far) to support this claim...other than supposition.

That said...I tend to agree with MJ here. WHERE we're selecting, I'd pass on ANY RB that isn't a bona fide stud (and neither Cook nor McC are).

This draft reeks of 2013 to me. Having my druthers, I'd trade this entire draft away for picks next year.

Where is Ditka when you need him?

So in this post you want to pass on Cook and McCaffrey because neither is enough of a bona fide stud to take at 19. Makes sense. But in the post you made right before this you said CM's floor is Westbrook and his ceiling is Tomlinson. I'd sure like to know how studly a RB has to be to worthy of being picked at 19 according to you?

Does their floor have to be Adrian Peterson and their ceiling Jim Brown? I must say, you don't talk football anywhere near as well as you talk hockey.
Brazen331

Postby BradC » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:55 am

MJW wrote:I think this is a great draft if we decide we want a DB, or a TE, or an edge, and a lossssy draft if we want anything else. I think we'll probably take one of those three spots eventually and be merry.

If we go DB in the first and it's not Adams, I'm going to be pissed. Well perhaps not pissed, but disappointed. Adams is the closest to a 'sure thing' and I believe he is a safe pick. Lattimore and Hooker are one-year wonders. Not saying they won't continue their success, but they just don't have enough of a sample size for me to be thrilled about the pick. And, with Hooker coming off two surgeries and Lattimore's hamstring concerns, that has me even more hesitant or cautious.

Even with Sydney Jones tearing his Achilles, I still think this is one of the deepest drafts at DB and that we should wait until the second or third to draft a DB not named Adams.

I'm all for Howard though, if he's there. He's going to be a stud.

With that said, my first choice is still Corey Davis. I think he's going to be a beast and one of the NFL's best receivers in 3-4 years. Outside of Garrett (and a healthy Jonathan Allen), I think he's the best player in this draft IMHO. Unless he goes to a team with a **** QB, he's going to be a star.
BradC

Postby mdb1958 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:08 am

BradC wrote:
MJW wrote:I think this is a great draft if we decide we want a DB, or a TE, or an edge, and a lossssy draft if we want anything else. I think we'll probably take one of those three spots eventually and be merry.

If we go DB in the first and it's not Adams, I'm going to be pissed. Well perhaps not pissed, but disappointed. Adams is the closest to a 'sure thing' and I believe he is a safe pick. Lattimore and Hooker are one-year wonders. Not saying they won't continue their success, but they just don't have enough of a sample size for me to be thrilled about the pick. And, with Hooker coming off two surgeries and Lattimore's hamstring concerns, that has me even more hesitant or cautious.

Even with Sydney Jones tearing his Achilles, I still think this is one of the deepest drafts at DB and that we should wait until the second or third to draft a DB not named Adams.

With that said, my first choice is still Corey Davis. I think he's going to be a beast and one of the NFL's best receivers in 3-4 years. Outside of Garrett (and a healthy Jonathan Allen), I think he's the best player in this draft IMHO. Unless he goes to a team with a **** QB, he's going to be a star.

The problem with your post is 18 teams arent even going to let you wave good bye to the player you hoped you would get.
mdb1958

Postby Bootz2004 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:30 am

mdb1958 wrote:
BradC wrote:

The problem with your post is 18 teams arent even going to let you wave good bye to the player you hoped you would get.

The player we hope to get will be drafted 18 times? Good stuff.

Bootz2004

Postby Swashy » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:02 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
mdb1958 wrote:

Oh my God I laughed much harder at this than I should have. That gif is wrong on so any levels
Swashy

Postby beardmcdoug » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:58 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
mdb1958 wrote:

Lmfao
beardmcdoug

Postby Alpha » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:16 pm

Brazen331 wrote:
Alpha wrote:
There is absolutely ZERO evidence (thus far) to support this claim...other than supposition.

That said...I tend to agree with MJ here. WHERE we're selecting, I'd pass on ANY RB that isn't a bona fide stud (and neither Cook nor McC are).

This draft reeks of 2013 to me. Having my druthers, I'd trade this entire draft away for picks next year.

So in this post you want to pass on Cook and McCaffrey because neither is enough of a bona fide stud to take at 19. Makes sense. But in the post you made right before this you said CM's floor is Westbrook and his ceiling is Tomlinson. I'd sure like to know how studly a RB has to be to worthy of being picked at 19 according to you?

Does their floor have to be Adrian Peterson and their ceiling Jim Brown? I must say, you don't talk football anywhere near as well as you talk hockey.

Easy there sporty-spice. His "floor/ceiling" are just my personal opinion. I am CLEARLY in the minority. He isn't coming out with the bona fides of an Elliot or Peterson (at least according to what I've read). According to the "experts" he has mid-first round talent in what I consider to be a pretty mediocre draft pool. Many sources have Cook falling to us at 19, making HIM a mid-first rounder...in a pretty mediocre draft pool.

My point was...and still is...if you hold a gun to my head and make me choose a RB at 19...I take McC over D. Cook every time.

BUT...I'd gladly pass up either prospect in order to get an extra first round pick NEXT year.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:25 pm

Where you see "great", I see, "meh". I might give you "deep" instead.

Look at the TE's, for example. Your top 2 come with serious questions. OJ has production issues and Njoku MAY become the next great UM TE...or he may never develop and become the next mediocre, over-sized WR. When it's all said and done, Butt out of Michigan could easily have as good a career as either of those 2 and he might be had in the third round.

I'd put your EDGE rushers in the same category as the TE group. LOTS of questions...and the consensus #1 player (Garrett) was picked apart pretty thoroughly in an article written by former Buc D-lineman Steven White (I think he writes for SB Nation but I could be mistaken there).

This just smells an awful lot like the 2013 draft to me.
Alpha

Postby Doctor » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:43 pm

Alpha wrote:
Doctor wrote:Your floor s very generous. I say his floor is Reggie Bush, maybe CJ Spiller.

There's no evidence of anything given they haven't played in the NFL yet.

The "evidence" if the fact of similar players before them getting a reality check in the league. There was no "evidence" that Bush would be as lame as he was, but yet he was. McC is quick and talented, but so is every player he'll play against in the NFL. And he's not great at breaking tackles or getting much after contact, and in the NFL you're going to get contacted far faster and more often than you were in college.
Doctor

Postby mdb1958 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:00 pm

I gotta give Alpha credit, atleast he isnt talking about drafting one of the top 7 picks in the draft - he is actually looking below the 19th pick to see who we could consider. There are atleast 7 players ranked top 18 that I dont even care if we get. A smart drafter is going to do his homework on picks 19 thru 50 and if I did a quick check I'm sure I could eliminate a few of those rather quickly.
mdb1958

Postby Teitan » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:11 pm

mdb1958 wrote:I gotta give Alpha credit, atleast he isnt talking about drafting one of the top 7 picks in the draft - he is actually looking below the 19th pick to see who we could consider. There are atleast 7 players ranked top 18 that I dont even care if we get. A smart drafter is going to do his homework on picks 19 thru 50 and if I did a quick check I'm sure I could eliminate a few of those rather quickly.

Except you are "looking into players below the 19th pick" based on other people's/sites rankings. Teams have to establish their own big board. Which means "Top 19" is different for every team. So smart drafters (NFL front offices, not message board posters) are going to do their homework on all available players.
Teitan

Postby mdb1958 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:41 pm

Teitan wrote:
mdb1958 wrote:I gotta give Alpha credit, atleast he isnt talking about drafting one of the top 7 picks in the draft - he is actually looking below the 19th pick to see who we could consider. There are atleast 7 players ranked top 18 that I dont even care if we get. A smart drafter is going to do his homework on picks 19 thru 50 and if I did a quick check I'm sure I could eliminate a few of those rather quickly.

Except you are "looking into players below the 19th pick" based on other people's/sites rankings. Teams have to establish their own big board. Which means "Top 19" is different for every team. So smart drafters (NFL front offices, not message board posters) are going to do their homework on all available players.

I agree, but I'm talking about most everyone in here looking and hoping some player 18 and above drops to us, not much below is even getting the consideration of discussion.

Looking at CBS rankings, I think I quickly eliminated 17 or so that I could care less about even drafting. Of course its my opinion or gut feeling or what ever you want to call it. I'd put Shaheen the TE as a player that I would really love to have on this team. I talked about this before, if you go back on multiple drafts there are many first rounders that you could give a damn about wishing you had picked them.

Between 20 and 84 how many players do you see that you really wished could be a part of our team, pick 2 of them and show me who we left out.
mdb1958

Postby Alpha » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:01 pm

Doctor wrote:
Alpha wrote:

There's no evidence of anything given they haven't played in the NFL yet.

The "evidence" if the fact of similar players before them getting a reality check in the league. There was no "evidence" that Bush would be as lame as he was, but yet he was. McC is quick and talented, but so is every player he'll play against in the NFL. And he's not great at breaking tackles or getting much after contact, and in the NFL you're going to get contacted far faster and more often than you were in college.

Again. You have a hard-on for D. Cook.

Noted.

I disagree.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:17 pm

mdb1958 wrote:Between 20 and 84 how many players do you see that you really wished could be a part of our team, pick 2 of them and show me who we left out.

To this point.

Frankly, between 10 (maybe even past 5 or 6) and 80, I don't see a tremendous difference. Not to say they aren't talented players or will have successful NFL careers...but they all have their flaws/concerns.

I've been through several sites (CBS. NFL,com and a few others) and there seems to be somewhat of a consensus on who the top 10-20 players are in this draft. What I've noticed (primarily) are 2 things. And they apply to EVERY draft...not just this one:

1) The "atheletic freaks" or the guys that did extraordinarily well at the Combine, get inserted into some expert mocks, even though they are far from "consensus" picks. The LB out of Temple being one. Njoku being another. The kid out of UCLA does as well (McKinney?). You see some mocks having those guys going towards the end of the 1st/2nd round and then some random site has them going top 10. Every draft, you have "that guy" being taken surprisingly high. That said, most sites have the same 15 or so guys at the top.

2) No consensus who the top 3 or so QB's are and when or even IF they're gonna be drafted in the top 20. I've seen some sites report that the dreaded "unidentified NFL GM" has no 1st round grade on ANY QB. Yet most mocks have 1-2 QB's going in the top 15. Personally, I wouldn't touch ANY of these QB's in the 1st round. That said, QB's are ALWAYS over-drafted so it wouldn't shock me at all if 2 went in the top 10.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:38 pm

Just for shits and giggles, I made quick note of the consensus 1st rounders. This isn't from one site, just a quick approximation. The farther you get down the list the more variance there tends to be. I'll also note the out-layers. The guys who pop up here and there but are by no means unanimous:

M. Garrett
J. Allen
M.Williams
J. Ross
C. Davis
M. Hooker
J. Adams
S. Thomas
D. Barnett
M. Lattimore
M. Humphrey
L. Fournette

These guys seem to be (mostly) unanimously in the top 10-16 players taken in the 1st round.

R. Ramczyk
OJ Howard/D. Njoku
T. Charlton
D. Cook
C. McCaffrey
S. Jones (before he blew out his Achilles).

Again...these guys are typically seen in your top 20 or so in MOST "expert" mock drafts. I noted earlier, most have OJ Howard going before Njoku but some sites have Njoku going insanely high and before Howard.

Then you have the guys that seem to be the best of the rest and one or two that show up randomly.

R. Foster
M. McDowell
C. Brantley
F. Lamp

(T. McKinnley)
(H. Reddick)

And then you 3-4 QB's who may or may not be in a first round mock because...who knows. But 2 of these guys might go pretty early:

D. Watson
M. Trubisky
D. Kizher
P. Mahomes

Outside of 5 or 6 guys...are you REALLY that psyched for one of the rest over any other? Hell...keep going into the 50-70 range. There are guys down there that I would get just as excited about as having T. McKinnley or Brantley or Njoku.
Alpha

Postby Buc2 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:21 pm

This was fun to look back on...

Photos of every 19th draft pick since the AFL-NFL merger

Anybody remember 2016's?
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Caradoc » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:29 pm

We are in an interesting position this draft. It's been a while since whe have had to look past all the really "sexy" picks, looking at that second tier. I also can't remember when we didn't have at least a couple of huge needs. We are in a position where we can draft anywhere and get a guy who will help while also not needing to pigeonhole ourselves into a filling a big hole. Normally, while I like the idea of trading down, it's more often not realistic or only a few spots at most. But this year we could take a deep drop, maybe even out of the first completely, and be better off. Snag an extra second and more. The depth in this draft plus our overall roster makes this unusually attractive and plausible for us.
Caradoc

Postby threadkiller » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:13 am

It's plausible that a team might want to move back into the first round and I'd move into the very early second even if it only gained us a very early third. If the 9ers offered 34 and 66 for 19, I'd be all over that. Probably be looking to move back again somewhere and pick up an extra 4th also. That would be the case most years though.
threadkiller

Postby Buc2 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:17 am

Not very often does this guy get it, but he got this right...

What Bucs absolutely should not do in draft's first round
Tom Jones, Times Sports Columnist
Tuesday, April 25, 2017 3:24pm

At approximately 10:30 Thursday night, commissioner Roger Goodell is expected to walk to the podium at the NFL draft holding a card that announces which player the Bucs will select with the 19th pick.

Many Bucs fans are hoping for Florida State running back Dalvin Cook. Mock drafts galore have Cook going to Tampa Bay. And if not Cook, there's a pie-in-the-sky dream that LSU's Leonard Fournette or Stanford's Christian McCaffrey lands here.

After all, the Bucs look like they need a running back, and this draft has plenty of good ones.

So let's say no team takes a running back in the first 18 picks and the Bucs have their choice of every back in the land. Which one should they take?

None of them.

Taking a running back in the first round is just not smart.

Plenty will disagree with that theory, and history has its share of first-round picks who went on to be sensational running backs with long careers. Emmitt Smith, Walter Payton, Barry Sanders, LaDainian Tomlinson, Eric Dickerson, Tony Dorsett — all first-round picks.

But in today's game, with an emphasis on throwing the ball, with a shorter shelf life for backs, with specialized backs, with so many backs available to be acquired outside the first round, the top of the draft should be used for something other than running back.

Defensive line. Offensive line. Cornerback. Linebacker. Those are hard positions to fill. Typically, you need to draft those players and draft them high.

Elite left tackles, star defensive tackles, shutdown corners — those guys are hard to find in free agency. If they're good, their teams don't let them make it to free agency. If they're really good, they aren't waiting to be picked late in the draft.

But running back? Times have changed. Spending a high draft pick to get one is not necessary.

Story continued...
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:56 am

Would anyone offer future draft picks for Evan Engram? I'd love to use this guy in our offense, maybe even as a WR.

An absolute miracle would be Corey Davis and Evan Engram going one, two to us. We still could get a TE to block and be way better than Stocker catching the ball.

The argument of saying Engram being on the field means pass is alright with me. The mismatch nightmare would blow that out of the water, teams would be game planning this so much I think you could still run the ball.

Even then, I'd still regret not giving us possibly the best defensive backfield we have ever had.
mdb1958

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:01 am

**** Tom Jones..

Anyways, Schefty is reporting the Bucs are in contact w/ atleast 3 teams about moving back, possibly out of the round 1 altogether.

@AdamSchefter
Buccaneers are talking with at least three teams about moving back in 1st round, and maybe even out of first round altogether, per source.
DreadNaught

Postby Teitan » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:04 am

Very interesting situation. This is a very good 1st round draft. They must have a few round 2 guys they are hot for
Teitan

Postby Buc2 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:04 am

DreadNaught wrote:**** Tom Jones..

Anyways, Schefty is reporting the Bucs are in contact w/ atleast 3 teams about moving back, possibly out of the round 1 altogether.

@AdamSchefter
Buccaneers are talking with at least three teams about moving back in 1st round, and maybe even out of first round altogether, per source.

Like I said, he's rarely right about anything. But he was right with that column. At least imo.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Watchout4Bucs » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:09 am

Teitan wrote:Very interesting situation. This is a very good 1st round draft. They must have a few round 2 guys they are hot for

Godwin, Obi, and Rivers are all guys I have read they like.
Watchout4Bucs

Postby Buc2 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:10 am

@AdamSchefter

I hope his source isn't that dude from the old board, Secret Scout. :lol:
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Teitan » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:12 am

Buc2 wrote:

I hope his source isn't that dude from the old board, Secret Scout. :lol:

Do we still think that was Bootz? Lol
Teitan

Postby Teitan » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:12 am

Watchout4Bucs wrote:
Teitan wrote:Very interesting situation. This is a very good 1st round draft. They must have a few round 2 guys they are hot for

Godwin, Obi, and Rivers are all guys I have read they like.

I'd prefer an Engram-Maye-Mixon combo.
Teitan

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:21 am

@AdamSchefter

So you dont think being able to get a shut down corner at 19 or maybe even lower (meaning a trade down) is worth thinking about? You know people always say, in a pinch this guy or that guy can play if someone is hurt. I'm taking it even further by thinking you could reposition these guys by the team you will be facing, yeah that may be in the future, but when you have that kind of talent at your disposal its great that you can get creative.
Last edited by mdb1958 on Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
mdb1958

Postby Teitan » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:23 am

Greg Auman brought up that maybe the browns would part with their 2 second rounders. Yes please!!

Engram-Mixon-Maye-Tabor!!!!

Or something like that..
Teitan

PreviousNext

Return to College Football/Draft Talk