With the 19th pick in the 2017 draft Bucs select...

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Re: With the 19th pick in the 2017 draft Bucs select...

Postby Cheb » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:22 am

I have not and will not buy into the theory that prospects purposefully bomb their workouts so they go to their team of choice. Every spot they drop costs them money, on perhaps the only professional contract they will ever sign. Every agent worth his salt is telling his client that while everyone wants to go to the Pats and win a bunch, you are costing yourself alot of money to do so, and there is no guarantee that they will pick you anyways.

However, I do buy into the idea that the 40 yard dash is a practiced skill. Some people are good at it, some people aren't.

Cook is fast. He plays fast on the field, and he runs fast on a track, too. In high school, Cook ran a 10.08 100 meter dash, which as we all know would have beaten the world record in 1959.

I am not worried about Cook's speed. He has it in spades.
Cheb

Postby BradC » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:44 am

Cheb wrote:I have not and will not buy into the theory that prospects purposefully bomb their workouts so they go to their team of choice. Every spot they drop costs them money, on perhaps the only professional contract they will ever sign. Every agent worth his salt is telling his client that while everyone wants to go to the Pats and win a bunch, you are costing yourself alot of money to do so, and there is no guarantee that they will pick you anyways.

However, I do buy into the idea that the 40 yard dash is a practiced skill. Some people are good at it, some people aren't.

Cook is fast. He plays fast on the field, and he runs fast on a track, too. In high school, Cook ran a 10.08 100 meter dash, which as we all know would have beaten the world record in 1959.

I'm definitely not worried about his speed either! As an FSU fan, I've seen him running away from defenders enough to have zero concerns.

I'd also like to believe that prospects wouldn't purposefully try to harm their draft stock and I'm not saying that was indeed the case, but I was really surprised with the 4.49 and it seemed Mayock and Jeremiah were as well. Perhaps you're right, maybe it was just a couple of bad 40 times and nothing more.

Do you think Cook's the guy (if he's there)? And do you think the signing of Jackson means WR is officially off the board at #19? Curious as to what you think about those two things.
Last edited by BradC on Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
BradC

Postby Naismith » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:46 am

The question about Cook's athleticism doesn't relate to his speed. His 40 time was fine.
Naismith

Postby Naismith » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:54 am

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/da ... osition=HB

6th and 7th percentile in the 20 yard shuttle and 3-cone drill.

Dalvin Cook: 7.27 3-cone 4.53 shuttle
Garret Bolles: 7.29 3-cone 4.55 shuttle

I think there's a decent chance he either bulked up too much and hurt his scoring or had a nagging injury that impacted it because he certainly looks more impressive than that when you watch him. I saw his high school numbers recently and they were much more impressive, as well. If it is that he bulked up and lost some agility or that he had an injury, he should improve those scores at his Pro Day but then the issues that caused the performance will relate to previous potential red flags in terms of his size or his injury history.
Naismith

Postby Super K » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:02 pm

I think there is something going on with him...hell, I said the same thing during this year's CFB season..

He just looked "off"..his little cuts didn't come as smooth or often, he didn't burst through a hole like he did his Freshman and sophomore years..

He looked really stiff on stretch plays, almost like he had no lateral agility and he seemed to go down much easier..

First thing that came to mind when watching him was he has/had an issue with his hips...

Just my 2cents...
Super K

Postby Cheb » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:02 pm

BradC wrote:
Cheb wrote:I have not and will not buy into the theory that prospects purposefully bomb their workouts so they go to their team of choice. Every spot they drop costs them money, on perhaps the only professional contract they will ever sign. Every agent worth his salt is telling his client that while everyone wants to go to the Pats and win a bunch, you are costing yourself alot of money to do so, and there is no guarantee that they will pick you anyways.

I'm definitely not worried about his speed either! As an FSU fan, I've seen him running away from defenders enough to have zero concerns.

I'd also like to believe that prospects wouldn't purposefully try to harm their draft stock and I'm not saying that was indeed the case, but I was really surprised with the 4.49 and it seemed Mayock and Jeremiah were as well. Perhaps you're right, maybe it was just a couple of bad 40 times and nothing more.

Do you think Cook's the guy (if he's there)? And do you think the signing of Jackson means WR is officially off the board at #19? Curious as to what you think about those two things.

Cook could be the pick. While I wouldn't say that running back is a need, I would say that it could be upgraded. I would welcome any of the top three runners (Fournette, Cook, McCaffery) to Tampa. It may not be who I would go with, but we will need to wait to see who is on the board on the day before we can state that categorically.

As far as wide receiver being off the board in the first round, that's​ a big no. As others have said, we added Grimes and Ayers in free agency last year, then drafted Hargreaves and Spence in the first two rounds. Licht doesn't cross off team needs in the free agency, seemingly. He used veterans to bridge a gap and mentor our young draftees. However, he didn't do this with Winston, Marpet, or Smith, so take it with a grown of salt.

We could very easily add Williams, Davis, or Ross in the first round, and just like with the runningbacks I would welcome them to Tampa.
Cheb

Postby BradC » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:05 pm

Naismith wrote:https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/dalvin-cook?position=HB

6th and 7th percentile in the 20 yard shuttle and 3-cone drill.

Dalvin Cook: 7.27 3-cone 4.53 shuttle
Garret Bolles: 7.29 3-cone 4.55 shuttle

I think there's a decent chance he either bulked up too much and hurt his scoring or had a nagging injury that impacted it because he certainly looks more impressive than that when you watch him. I saw his high school numbers recently and they were much more impressive, as well. If it is that he bulked up and lost some agility or that he had an injury, he should improve those scores at his Pro Day but then the issues that caused the performance will relate to previous potential red flags in terms of his size or his injury history.

That is precisely the reason for my earlier 'conspiracy theory' comments about him letting off the gas at the combine. None of those times make any sense when you see him on the field. He had a very lackluster combine.

Could be either one of the reasons you mention: bulk or injury. Who knows? I just know that seeing on the field the last couple of years, you would have never guessed he'd score that low in those drills.
BradC

Postby BradC » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:08 pm

Super K wrote:I think there is something going on with him...hell, I said the same thing during this year's CFB season..

He just looked "off"..his little cuts didn't come as smooth or often, he didn't burst through a hole like he did his Freshman and sophomore years..

He looked really stiff on stretch plays, almost like he had no lateral agility and he seemed to go down much easier..

First thing that came to mind when watching him was he has/had an issue with his hips...

Just my 2cents...

Could be. I just hope we don't draft him and find out you were right!
Last edited by BradC on Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BradC

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:12 pm

I'll be disappointed if Cook is the pick.

This draft is too deep at RB to burn a pick on a slow guy who fumbles.

Dalvin Cook....Do not want.

He has bust written all over him.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby BradC » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:24 pm

Cheb wrote:
BradC wrote:

Cook could be the pick. While I wouldn't say that running back is a need, I would say that it could be upgraded. I would welcome any of the top three runners (Fournette, Cook, McCaffery) to Tampa. It may not be who I would go with, but we will need to wait to see who is on the board on the day before we can state that categorically.

As far as wide receiver being off the board in the first round, that's​ a big no. As others have said, we added Grimes and Ayers in free agency last year, then drafted Hargreaves and Spence in the first two rounds. Licht doesn't cross off team needs in the free agency, seemingly. He used veterans to bridge a gap and mentor our young draftees. However, he didn't do this with Winston, Marpet, or Smith, so take it with a grown of salt.

We could very easily add Williams, Davis, or Ross in the first round, and just like with the runningbacks I would welcome them to Tampa.

Good point in regards to Licht not letting FAs impact draft picks. And DeSean might make for a great mentor for Davis or Ross. Those are the top two on my wish list with Davis being #1. Davis is going to be a beast in the NFL and I know I'll probably get **** on for saying this, but I think that if he stays healthy, he's going to be a TO or Megatron type that will dominate in the NFL. Ross I'm not so sure of. The speed is tempting, but he's got a very limited sample size to go from, where Davis put up enormous numbers (granted it was the MAC). Williams I'm not sold on. I just question his ability to separate. The reason Williams is so good at catching in traffic is because he's always catching in traffic! He had a hard enough time separating against college DBs and I'm worried he'll have an even more difficult time in the pros where the DBs are bigger, stronger, faster and many will be able to jump as high as he can.

Although I'd also be happy with Cook or McCaffrey (Fournette too, but he'll be gone by #19), I'm not a huge fan of drafting RB in the first only because their careers are so short. However, when you have a shot at that kind of talent, it sometimes makes up for it. So, like you, RB isn't what I would go with either, but I'd take those guys if any one of them were there.
BradC

Postby BradC » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:33 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:I'll be disappointed if Cook is the pick.

The only way I'll be disappointed is if one of the other guys I want the Bucs to take ahead of him is still there i.e. Davis, Ross, Howard, Allen, Foster, Adams, or Thomas.
BradC

Postby Doctor » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:33 pm

I really hope we pick him and you eat lots and lots of crow MB.

Then again, to be fair, I also thought Bennie Wells and Trent Richardson were going to be studs, so wtf do I know.
Doctor

Postby Super K » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:35 pm

We are going to add a WR in the draft..and we'll select one pretty high (rounds 1-3) imo..

We are a DJax injury away from having to roll with Evans and Humph as our #2 plus a bunch of whogivesafucks after that...I'd venture to say this predicament cost us a true chance at a playoff spot in 2015 and 2016..

It will NOT happen 3 years in a row..Licht can't let it happen...I'm sure he has repeatedly kicked himself in the ass for betting on an old Vjax and nobodys (bell,dye etc) to make it through 2016..
Super K

Postby BradC » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:36 pm

Doctor wrote:

Then again, to be fair, I also thought Bennie Wells and Trent Richardson were going to be studs, so wtf do I know.

:lol:
BradC

Postby Buc2 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:39 pm

Cheb wrote:
BradC wrote:

Not sure why he didn't do that with Marpet or Smith (too many other needs perhaps?), but with Winston, he had Glennon so probably didn't need feel the need to bring in a veteran FA.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Doctor » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:56 pm

Buc2 wrote:
Cheb wrote:

Not sure why he didn't do that with Marpet or Smith (too many other needs perhaps?), but with Winston, he had Glennon so probably didn't need feel the need to bring in a veteran FA.

Probably cost. You have guys like Okung making big bucks, compared to what we paid Ayers. You don't really get many "bridge" players at the OL position from FA.
Doctor

Postby BradC » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:00 pm

Super K wrote:We are going to add a WR in the draft..and we'll select one pretty high (rounds 1-3) imo..

We are a DJax injury away from having to roll with Evans and Humph as our #2 plus a bunch of whogivesafucks after that...I'd venture to say this predicament cost us a true chance at a playoff spot in 2015 and 2016..

It will NOT happen 3 years in a row..Licht can't let it happen...I'm sure he has repeatedly kicked himself in the ass for betting on an old Vjax and nobodys (bell,dye etc) to make it through 2016..

I agree completely, we need to take one between rounds 1-3 or possibly 4 depending on how things play out, but that's only if the 2nd and 3rd round talent is sliding. But I really want at least Schuster, Godwin or Ford type talent and highly doubt we can wait any later than the 3rd. They'll probably all be gone before the 3rd.
BradC

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:50 pm

I think my favorite back in this draft is Perine.

Powerful, angry runner. And that bench just solidified it for me. He'll be a stud in the red zone.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Super K » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:56 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:I think my favorite back in this draft is Perine.

Powerful, angry runner. And that bench just solidified it for me. He'll be a stud in the red zone.

Watching more tape and using the combine as a supplement, Perine has overtaken Foreman for me as my top "big back" of choice..

Someone mentioned earlier (or somewhere) Perine ability to run with a lean, keeping tacklers away from his feet and allowing him to fall forward...HIGHLY evident on tape..

The guy is the tank we've been waiting for and needing..

There are 2 backs I love in this draft because of their ability and where we could nab one of them:

Perine and Marlon Mack

Choose what you want, a hammering coal truck or lightning in a bottle..
Super K

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:13 pm

Super K wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:I think my favorite back in this draft is Perine.

Watching more tape and using the combine as a supplement, Perine has overtaken Foreman for me as my top "big back" of choice..

Someone mentioned earlier (or somewhere) Perine ability to run with a lean, keeping tacklers away from his feet and allowing him to fall forward...HIGHLY evident on tape..

The guy is the tank we've been waiting for and needing..

There are 2 backs I love in this draft because of their ability and where we could nab one of them:

Perine and Marlon Mack

Choose what you want, a hammering coal truck or lightning in a bottle..

Yep.

It's a matter of taste, but I want the Earl Campbell, Emmitt Smith, Marshawn Lynch types. Backs that knock the **** out of Linebackers and move the pile.

Guys have been looking for the next Barry Sanders for decades. The success rate on those guys is lower than the old fashioned power backs.

If Derrick Henry would get out of his own head and play like a man with something to prove, he would be the next great power back.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Noles1724 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:00 pm

MB I respect your opinion, but saying he has bust written all over him is extreme to say the least.

Here's a breakdown of him that seems to come off has fair.

https://youtu.be/j1D6J4fYw2g
Noles1724

Postby Alpha » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:20 am

MJW wrote:Can everyone who wants McCaffrey complete this simple sentence because I guess I still am not getting it at this point?:

"McCaffrey's best NFL comparison based on his ceiling, in terms of game and potential production, is ____________?"

I'll read the follow up posts after responding to this one.

And MJ...I get the fact you aren't McC's biggest fan. What I don't understand is...based on everything you know of his career to this point...who on Earth can you not see the potential here?

IMO...his CEILING is LT. Ladanian Tomlinson.

Here's the more important question vis a vis D. Cook.

What are their FLOOR?

I see McC's FLOOR as Westbrook.

Cook...his FLOOR is out of the league in 4 years.

I understand that opinions are gonna vary regarding these 2 guys. I've seen as much in print by the "experts". And we are far from that (even Bootzie). That said...there are just INFINATELY more ways to use McC. He is an OUTSTANDING receiver...fast...and has a lot of experience as a punt/KO returner.

And there is always THIS (as much as we want to ignore the elephant in the room):

IF he were a black guy that put up his production and had his "measurables"...we would be having a very different conversation. That is a fact.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:31 am

Doctor wrote:

Most of us are in the same boat.

For every time we "called it"...we were dead wrong as often.

Mine:

I thought AP would never stay healthy enough to do **** in the NFL.

He was always the "physical marvel" in college, who always seemed to get injured.

Yeah...he's been injured but he was a helluva lot better in the League than I ever thought he'd be.
Alpha

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:42 am

Alpha wrote:
Doctor wrote:I really hope we pick him and you eat lots and lots of crow MB.

Mine:

He was always the "physical marvel" in college, who always seemed to get injured.

Yeah...he's been injured but he was a helluva lot better in the League than I ever thought he'd be.

I did the same thing with Peterson. One of the biggest draft whiffs I've ever made.

I'll concede that I could be wrong about Cook, but I stand by my take on him and will eat the crow if need be.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby MJW » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:51 am

With respect to the salient arguments made by Alpha and other parties, I'm just going to stick with, "I really don't want to draft a back in the 1st round pretty much ever, with the only the rarest of exceptions."

I will not be happy if we go in this direction. I will be over it before the next pick is announced and the player will have my full support. It's just not what I'd do if it was up to me and I don't think anyone is convincing me otherwise. We're a better team getting a lockdown corner, or an heir to Robert Ayers, or a dynamic safety, and getting a back later. JMHO but there it is and there it stays.
MJW

Postby mdb1958 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:53 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Alpha wrote:

Mine:

I did the same thing with Peterson. One of the biggest draft whiffs I've ever made.

I'll concede that I could be wrong about Cook, but I stand by my take on him and will eat the crow if need be.

I got a boat load set up for crow with DJ. I'm fine with the move but I'm more in line with do something first and then I'll sing.
mdb1958

Postby Doctor » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:41 pm

Alpha wrote:
MJW wrote:Can everyone who wants McCaffrey complete this simple sentence because I guess I still am not getting it at this point?:

"McCaffrey's best NFL comparison based on his ceiling, in terms of game and potential production, is ____________?"

I'll read the follow up posts after responding to this one.

And MJ...I get the fact you aren't McC's biggest fan. What I don't understand is...based on everything you know of his career to this point...who on Earth can you not see the potential here?

IMO...his CEILING is LT. Ladanian Tomlinson.

Here's the more important question vis a vis D. Cook.

What are their FLOOR?

I see McC's FLOOR as Westbrook.

Cook...his FLOOR is out of the league in 4 years.

I understand that opinions are gonna vary regarding these 2 guys. I've seen as much in print by the "experts". And we are far from that (even Bootzie). That said...there are just INFINATELY more ways to use McC. He is an OUTSTANDING receiver...fast...and has a lot of experience as a punt/KO returner.

And there is always THIS (as much as we want to ignore the elephant in the room):

IF he were a black guy that put up his production and had his "measurables"...we would be having a very different conversation. That is a fact.

Your floor s very generous. I say his floor is Reggie Bush, maybe CJ Spiller.
Doctor

Postby Four Verticals » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:16 am

As a major track fan and official I can tell you that Cook is fast but not remotely 10.08 fast.

Cook was a 10.9 sprinter in HS. The 10.08 (along with the 10.09 of his teammate Pherris) was a time handed in by his knucklehead coach incorrectly. Instead of a writing 10.80 (somewhat accurate) he wrote 10.08(absurd for a HSer who'd never come within a second of it to that point and only a couple of HSers have approached...ever.) Cook ended up finishing 5th in the race he was seeded as a 10.08 to 4 guys none of us have heard of since. It is a myth that he ran it or that Pherris ran 10.09.
Four Verticals

Postby Cheb » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:28 am

Four Verticals wrote:

As a major track fan and official I can tell you that Cook is fast but not remotely 10.08 fast.

Cook was a 10.9 sprinter in HS. The 10.08 (along with the 10.09 of his teammate Pherris) was a time handed in by his knucklehead coach incorrectly. Instead of a writing 10.80 (somewhat accurate) he wrote 10.08(absurd for a HSer who'd never come within a second of it to that point and only a couple of HSers have approached...ever.) Cook ended up finishing 5th in the race he was seeded as a 10.08 to 4 guys none of us have heard of since. It is a myth that he ran it or that Pherris ran 10.09.

I'm just quoting the wiki, but good to know.
Cheb

Postby Alpha » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:45 am

Doctor wrote:Your floor s very generous. I say his floor is Reggie Bush, maybe CJ Spiller.

There is absolutely ZERO evidence (thus far) to support this claim...other than supposition.

That said...I tend to agree with MJ here. WHERE we're selecting, I'd pass on ANY RB that isn't a bona fide stud (and neither Cook nor McC are).

This draft reeks of 2013 to me. Having my druthers, I'd trade this entire draft away for picks next year.

Where is Ditka when you need him?
Alpha

PreviousNext

Return to College Football/Draft Talk