With the 19th pick in the 2017 draft Bucs select...

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
With the 19th pick in the 2017 draft Bucs select...

Postby Brazen331 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:49 am

Obviously we won't be picking 3rd and we won't be selecting Peppers or Garrett so let's update the previous thread and make some predictions about what player will realistically be the next Buccaneer draft pick.

I'll go with Ethan Pocic Center LSU. Really want to go OL with this pick and I think he will look great next to Marpet. Cam will most likely be gone and if he is still there there will probably be reason for him to fall further. Pocic is damn tall though, a 6'7 Center. Would NFL teams want to move home outside? Cameron Erving is about that tall and I haven't been following to see how he is shaping up in Cleveland to draw any correlation that might be there,
Last edited by Brazen331 on Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brazen331

Re: With the 18th pick in the 2017 draft Bucs select...

Postby Konatown » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:58 am

I have a sneaky suspicion that Jamal Adams is going to be a Buc. Same type of feeling with Hargreaves last year based on mocks/needs.

Can't say I'd be upset if we went OL and wouldn't be shocked if the took a WR to pair with Evans. I still hope we continue to bolster the DL.
Konatown

Postby real bucs fan » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:52 pm

Assuming we miss out on Peppers, Cam Robinson, and Mike Williams... I still think we end up with someone from 1 of those 3 positions.

Ross makes a little more sense in the bottom half of the first round, and I got a feeling about Malik Hooker becoming a superstar. That said, while Peppers will be long gone, as of now both Williams and Robinson are going in the 12-17 range of both mocks. Robinson has some character concerns, and Williams obviously has the neck injury. It's not inconceivabe that either is there when we pick.
real bucs fan

Postby Brazen331 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:53 pm

real bucs fan wrote:Assuming we miss out on Peppers, Cam Robinson, and Mike Williams... I still think we end up with someone from 1 of those 3 positions.

Ross makes a little more sense in the bottom half of the first round, and I got a feeling about Malik Hooker becoming a superstar. That said, while Peppers will be long gone, as of now both Williams and Robinson are going in the 12-17 range of both mocks. Robinson has some character concerns, and Williams obviously has the neck injury. It's not inconceivabe that either is there when we pick.

I've seen a couple mocks that have Ross as the 1st WR taken. Great speed, great route runner, I think he would be a great compliment to Evans.
Brazen331

Postby real bucs fan » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:11 pm

Brazen331 wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:Assuming we miss out on Peppers, Cam Robinson, and Mike Williams... I still think we end up with someone from 1 of those 3 positions.

I've seen a couple mocks that have Ross as the 1st WR taken. Great speed, great route runner, I think he would be a great compliment to Evans.

I haven't seen the route running to be honest. He's definitely an electric athlete who can get deep, and I like his feistiness, but I'm a little concerned he's a one year wonder who's able to dominate in college due to his wheels but doesn't have what it takes to be that player in the pros. He's rail thin too while lacking length. I wanna see him at the combine, how much he weighs and lifts, before I'd commit to him. He could be another Will Fuller though which would be nice in the 18 to 25 range.
real bucs fan

Postby Cheb » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:02 am

We seem destined for a middle selection in the first round. Here are the guys ranked as the tenth through twentieth top prospects per cbs's rankings, which is my go-to during draft season. In order:

Mike Williams, WR, Clemson
Teez Tabor, CB, Florida
Dalvin Cook, RB, Florida St
Zach Cunningham, LB, Vanderbilt
Jamal Adams, S, LSU
Reuben Foster, LB, Alabama
John Ross, WR, Washington
Tim Williams, Edge, Alabama
Derek Barnett, Edge, Tennessee
Sidney Jones, CB, Washington
JuJu Smith-Schuster, WR, USC

Now let's start whittling these guys down. First, let's go by position. We probably aren't going to get a running back in the first round, sorry Dalvin. Back-to-back first round cornerbacks are unlikely. A linebacker in the first, when we have Kwon and LVD; sure they aren't perfect, but replacing one of them in the first is a bit strong. Five players off the list. Rearranging for positional grouping, we are at:

Jamal Adams, S, LSU

All three receivers are interesting, but they have their issues. Both Mike Williams and John Ross have serious injury histories, Williams more than Ross in my opinion. All three of them aren't very polished, all run sloppy routes, and rely on their natural athleticism instead of actually being good at their positional nuances. Can Williams stay healthy and clear his combine and team doctor physicals? Can Ross get off press-man coverage in the NFL and prove he isn't the product of bad Pac-12 pass defense? Can JuJu correct his stupid drops and prove that he's not just another USC receiver who will flame out in the NFL? These are questions worth answering. All in all, I could probably be persuaded to like any of them, and would support them if they were selected.

Derek Barnett is an interesting guy. He has the size to play as a base end. He has the pass rushing finesse to be a good rusher in the NFL, and he has been wildly successful in college. I should like him. I want to like him. And yet, he doesn't play with much suddenness to his game. A first round 4-3 defensive end should have suddenness, shouldn't he, a certain quickness and explosion? And yet, despite the lack of flash and zazz, Barnett produces. There's alot to be said for production against top competition. While he may not be a sexy pass rusher, he would certainly be an everydown pass rusher here in Tampa Bay. And then there's Tim Williams. He's certainly sudden enough for my taste in explosive pass rushers. His speed off the snap, when he's on his game, is maybe the best in college football right now. One wonders if Williams can be an everydown guy in the pros, but he seems to have done alright by himself in Alabama. He would be a good selection.

Now here comes my favorite. Jamal Adams. He's fast. He can hit. He can cover. He has size. He can play man or zone with equal grace and skill. There's alot to like about Mr Adams. I'm not saying he's Eric Berry, but if you squint, he kinda looks like Eric Berry. But one wonders if we are bold enough to draft a safety in the first round. Both of the lines have their issues, and Conte has been experiencing a bit of a renaissance the past few weeks. While I would be very pleased if we drafted Adams, I would be a bit surprised if we did so. Besides, Berry could hit the open market this offseason. Not saying, just saying.

In reviewing these six guys, I could get behind any one of them. I am all for adding another legitimate receiving threat opposite Mike Evans, I am certainly up for adding a defensive end that can provide quality snaps, and I certainly hope that we replace Chris Conte.

My gut feeling is Barnett.

I could be wrong.
Cheb

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:28 am

I honestly think we are in good shape on the d-line. Spence is heating up and edges usually make their jump year 2 anyway. Give him an offseason to get healthy and I think Spence is a double digit sack guy next year, I think this board is greatly underrating him. I'd also resign William Gholston. Spence, Ayers, Gholston, Jaq Smith, McCoy, McDonald, Akeem Spence is an excellent 7 man rotation, just need Spence to make the jump and the group to stay healthy as a whole.

This appears to be an excellent safety draft, and I wouldn't be shocked if we go safety.

But as of now my top 2 guys are Cam Robinson and Mike Williams though it might be a reach for either to fall to where we will be picking assuming we finish strong.

Am warming up to Jamal Adams though. I didn't like him in the top 10, but if we are picking in the teens and Williams and Robinson are off the board I'd be thrilled with him.
real bucs fan

Postby Brazen331 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:35 am

Cheb wrote:We seem destined for a middle selection in the first round. Here are the guys ranked as the tenth through twentieth top prospects per cbs's rankings, which is my go-to during draft season. In order:

Teez Tabor, CB, Florida
Jamal Adams, S, LSU

Now let's start whittling these guys down. First, let's go by position. We probably aren't going to get a running back in the first round, sorry Dalvin. Back-to-back first round cornerbacks are unlikely. A linebacker in the first, when we have Kwon and LVD; sure they aren't perfect, but replacing one of them in the first is a bit strong. Five players off the list. Rearranging for positional grouping, we are at:

Jamal Adams, S, LSU

All three receivers are interesting, but they have their issues. Both Mike Williams and John Ross have serious injury histories, Williams more than Ross in my opinion. All three of them aren't very polished, all run sloppy routes, and rely on their natural athleticism instead of actually being good at their positional nuances. Can Williams stay healthy and clear his combine and team doctor physicals? Can Ross get off press-man coverage in the NFL and prove he isn't the product of bad Pac-12 pass defense? Can JuJu correct his stupid drops and prove that he's not just another USC receiver who will flame out in the NFL? These are questions worth answering. All in all, I could probably be persuaded to like any of them, and would support them if they were selected.

Derek Barnett is an interesting guy. He has the size to play as a base end. He has the pass rushing finesse to be a good rusher in the NFL, and he has been wildly successful in college. I should like him. I want to like him. And yet, he doesn't play with much suddenness to his game. A first round 4-3 defensive end should have suddenness, shouldn't he, a certain quickness and explosion? And yet, despite the lack of flash and zazz, Barnett produces. There's alot to be said for production against top competition. While he may not be a sexy pass rusher, he would certainly be an everydown pass rusher here in Tampa Bay. And then there's Tim Williams. He's certainly sudden enough for my taste in explosive pass rushers. His speed off the snap, when he's on his game, is maybe the best in college football right now. One wonders if Williams can be an everydown guy in the pros, but he seems to have done alright by himself in Alabama. He would be a good selection.

Now here comes my favorite. Jamal Adams. He's fast. He can hit. He can cover. He has size. He can play man or zone with equal grace and skill. There's alot to like about Mr Adams. I'm not saying he's Eric Berry, but if you squint, he kinda looks like Eric Berry. But one wonders if we are bold enough to draft a safety in the first round. Both of the lines have their issues, and Conte has been experiencing a bit of a renaissance the past few weeks. While I would be very pleased if we drafted Adams, I would be a bit surprised if we did so. Besides, Berry could hit the open market this offseason. Not saying, just saying.

In reviewing these six guys, I could get behind any one of them. I am all for adding another legitimate receiving threat opposite Mike Evans, I am certainly up for adding a defensive end that can provide quality snaps, and I certainly hope that we replace Chris Conte.

I could be wrong.

This is a very good post but there is not a single OL mentioned. Where we will most likely be selecting you never get the best DT, DE, Tackle, but you can grab the top Guard or Center. This seems to be the philosophy Dallas followed with their mid-round 1sts and it is really paying off. The OL is our weakest position and the only OL anyone is talking about is Cam. This might not be the strongest year for the position but I think there must be at least a couple guys we can consider.

This would be my preference but if Tabor is there when we pick, which I doubt but if so, I would be all over it. And this strikes me as something Licht would totally do. He seems to love hometown and state-school guys judging from his short history here.
Brazen331

Postby Noles1724 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:45 am

I gotta say I really hate the fact that we're not in need of a RB. Cook is so fun to watch run and he's the second coming of Jamaal Charles. That being said, I see Cook going in the top 5 if he decides to come out.

UM will be glad when he leaves FSU though.. he killed them every game.

Noles1724

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:21 pm

Some quick hits...

Last I checked, Pocic projects to the third round.

Ohio State Safety by the name of Hooker has injected himself into the discussion at that position.

The biggest talent drop off i see is at WR and this class still doesn't thrill me.

If Peyton Barber continues to progress, I see little need to add another back until day three if at all.

The glut of talented D-linemen from Bama in the first round will be tough to pass on.

If you have to keep one of the current safeties, it's gotta be Conte. That opens up Free safety and so coverage skills are the top concern. Leads me to guys like Baker and Jackson and away from guys like Adams and Maye.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby pewterpirates » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:28 pm

Brazen331 wrote:This is a very good post but there is not a single OL mentioned. Where we will most likely be selecting you never get the best DT, DE, Tackle, but you can grab the top Guard or Center. This seems to be the philosophy Dallas followed with their mid-round 1sts and it is really paying off. The OL is our weakest position and the only OL anyone is talking about is Cam. This might not be the strongest year for the position but I think there must be at least a couple guys we can consider.

I agree 100%. Our OL is bad. Marpet is our only solid piece on the OL. Smith needs to be moved to RT. If he can make the move to RG, I'd do that. Idk how long Hawley has. Idk about our backups, who seemed to play well in spurts filling in for injury. But we need some actual TALENT on the OL.
pewterpirates

Postby Super K » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:42 pm

pewterpirates wrote:
Brazen331 wrote:This is a very good post but there is not a single OL mentioned. Where we will most likely be selecting you never get the best DT, DE, Tackle, but you can grab the top Guard or Center. This seems to be the philosophy Dallas followed with their mid-round 1sts and it is really paying off. The OL is our weakest position and the only OL anyone is talking about is Cam. This might not be the strongest year for the position but I think there must be at least a couple guys we can consider.

I agree 100%. Our OL is bad. Marpet is our only solid piece on the OL. Smith needs to be moved to RT. If he can make the move to RG, I'd do that. Idk how long Hawley has. Idk about our backups, who seemed to play well in spurts filling in for injury. But we need some actual TALENT on the OL.

So Marpet is our only sold piece but you want to move DSmith to his position (RG)?

I don't disagree that we need to upgrade our OL...but we've got to address this thing BPA...

You can't pass on Ross or Williams for the 5th best OL prospect just to say "we're allocating top of the draft resources" towards the line..
Super K

Postby Cheb » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:49 pm

Brazen331 wrote:
Cheb wrote:We seem destined for a middle selection in the first round. Here are the guys ranked as the tenth through twentieth top prospects per cbs's rankings, which is my go-to during draft season. In order:

Teez Tabor, CB, Florida
Jamal Adams, S, LSU

Jamal Adams, S, LSU

I could be wrong.

This is a very good post but there is not a single OL mentioned. Where we will most likely be selecting you never get the best DT, DE, Tackle, but you can grab the top Guard or Center. This seems to be the philosophy Dallas followed with their mid-round 1sts and it is really paying off. The OL is our weakest position and the only OL anyone is talking about is Cam. This might not be the strongest year for the position but I think there must be at least a couple guys we can consider.

This would be my preference but if Tabor is there when we pick, which I doubt but if so, I would be all over it. And this strikes me as something Licht would totally do. He seems to love hometown and state-school guys judging from his short history here.

The reason there are no offensive linemen there is because there aren't any offensive linemen rated between 10 and 20. The next highest offensive lineman are:

24 - Dan Feeney, G, Indiana
29 - Ryan Ramcyzk, OT, Wisconsin
32 - Ethan Pocic, C, LSU

Those three and Cam Robinson are the only ones with a first round grade at the moment.

Now you can argue that we need more talented offensive linemen, I agree. You can also argue that if you like a guy, you should take him, draft position be damned. However, over-drafting a guy leaves points on the field.

Alot of the incoming draft offensive linemen calculus depends on Sweezy. If he is good to go as our left guard, that changes alot.

I'll have to look more into these three top guys. Don't know much about them.
Cheb

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:22 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:Some quick hits...

Ohio State Safety by the name of Hooker has injected himself into the discussion at that position.

The biggest talent drop off i see is at WR and this class still doesn't thrill me.

If Peyton Barber continues to progress, I see little need to add another back until day three if at all.

The glut of talented D-linemen from Bama in the first round will be tough to pass on.

If you have to keep one of the current safeties, it's gotta be Conte. That opens up Free safety and so coverage skills are the top concern. Leads me to guys like Baker and Jackson and away from guys like Adams and Maye.

To combine your second point and your last point, I think Hooker would be perfect at FS. Great length/athleticism and guy is a ball hawk who likes to return his INTs to the house. From a physical standpoint, he's not far off Jalen Ramsey off the ol eye test.

He's definitely a bit raw though, but by all accounts he's a grade A kid. If he puts the work in, he could be special. I think top 15 is a bit rich for him considering how raw he is, but if we keep winning he'd be an excellent risk in the 20s. I think you keep both Conte and McDougald as well though. Have them battle it out with Hooker for the starting spots.
real bucs fan

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:09 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Some quick hits...

To combine your second point and your last point, I think Hooker would be perfect at FS. Great length/athleticism and guy is a ball hawk who likes to return his INTs to the house. From a physical standpoint, he's not far off Jalen Ramsey off the ol eye test.

He's definitely a bit raw though, but by all accounts he's a grade A kid. If he puts the work in, he could be special. I think top 15 is a bit rich for him considering how raw he is, but if we keep winning he'd be an excellent risk in the 20s. I think you keep both Conte and McDougald as well though. Have them battle it out with Hooker for the starting spots.

I don't think McDougald has done enough to deserve another contract.

The thing about Hooker is that he shot up the boards recently and may settle back down after such a rise. All I know about him is the INT on the 2 point try that killed Michigan state.

Right now, we could trade back in the first and take Jackson or stay put in the first and address another position and have a great shot at either Baker, Hooker, or Williams out of Utah in the second.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:23 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:

I don't think McDougald has done enough to deserve another contract.

The thing about Hooker is that he shot up the boards recently and may settle back down after such a rise. All I know about him is the INT on the 2 point try that killed Michigan state.

Right now, we could trade back in the first and take Jackson or stay put in the first and address another position and have a great shot at either Baker, Hooker, or Williams out of Utah in the second.

I think McDougald can be brought back on a one year deal near the vet minimum. He might not be much of a starter, but he'd be a nice backup if he were to be beat out for the job. Tandy is a great special teamer but he's a liability on defence.

Hooker is a complete wildcard right now for sure. I have a sense that he's going to test through the roof at the combine. I wouldn't be shocked if he ends up going top 20.

Baker I really like but he lacks length. I think with VHIII in our defensive backfield we'd do better finding a guy with some size.

Heck of a safety class though, it's a great year for us to address the position with a high pick.
real bucs fan

Postby Brazen331 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:29 pm

I've just seen a mock that has us taking Rueben Foster and I kind...well to be honest, I love the thought of it. Sure you might not keep him on the field all the time but that goes for many defensive positions in the NFL today. No one sees an issue with drafting a pass rusher high in the first who is not an every down player nor should they.

But the question is could Kwon be effective switching positions because a base defense featuring LVD, Kwon and Foster kind of makes me salivate.
Brazen331

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:50 pm

Bash! ****. Has NOT done enough to get another contract.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby MJW » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:23 am

If we're picking mid-first, sign me up for some John Ross.

You can compare him to Corey Coleman. You can compare him to DeSean Jackson. You can compare him to Percy Harvin, too. But regardless, he'd look good catching passes from Jameis.
MJW

Postby mdb1958 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:34 am

For anyone studying WR's, whats your take on Corey Davis - Western Michigan
mdb1958

Postby Brazen331 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:15 am

Cheb wrote:
Brazen331 wrote:

The reason there are no offensive linemen there is because there aren't any offensive linemen rated between 10 and 20. The next highest offensive lineman are:

24 - Dan Feeney, G, Indiana
29 - Ryan Ramcyzk, OT, Wisconsin
32 - Ethan Pocic, C, LSU

Those three and Cam Robinson are the only ones with a first round grade at the moment.

Now you can argue that we need more talented offensive linemen, I agree. You can also argue that if you like a guy, you should take him, draft position be damned. However, over-drafting a guy leaves points on the field.

Alot of the incoming draft offensive linemen calculus depends on Sweezy. If he is good to go as our left guard, that changes alot.

I'll have to look more into these three top guys. Don't know much about them.

I've also seen lists that have OTs McGlinchy from ND and Roderick Johnson FSU ranked above these guys. We all know these rankings are going to be vastly different in a couple months. To add to your point about Sweezy, is there are possibility that this regime will ever move Smith to RT or G? And what about Dotson? I see decline here. Are we comfortable with this guy manning a Tackle spot for another 3 seasons or so? I think his height is going to become even more of a liability as he loses athletism.
Brazen331

Postby Watchout4Bucs » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:31 am

Derek Barnett and Tim Williams are the two guys I am hoping are still there. They both offer what we need opposite Noah Spence. I would probably lean Barnett simply because he has better production and can be moved around the DL more due to his size.

If both these guys are gone another player I really like and know will be a talented addition is Desmond King CB from Iowa. He has been solid the past 2 years and would give us two corners that can be lefr on islands.
Watchout4Bucs

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:34 am

Desmond King is absolutely an NFL corner.

I don't know if he's a shutdown corner though.

He's like Aquib Talib without the attitude.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Watchout4Bucs » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:36 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:Desmond King is absolutely an NFL corner.

You might be right. I haven't watched a ton of Iowa football, but every time I have seen him play I was impressed. He shows instincts at the CB position you can't teach. I have seen him recognize the play and left his man to jump another receivers route. Stuff like that jumps off the screen to me. Being able to recognize plays is how defenders become elite in the NFL.
Watchout4Bucs

Postby Super K » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:46 am

King is a stud...he and VH3 would give us 2 guys whom would battle receivers and have the potential to make plays in the backfield...something we've severely lacked since the days of Kelly/Barber...
Super K

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:58 am

Watchout4Bucs wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Desmond King is absolutely an NFL corner.

You might be right. I haven't watched a ton of Iowa football, but every time I have seen him play I was impressed. He shows instincts at the CB position you can't teach. I have seen him recognize the play and left his man to jump another receivers route. Stuff like that jumps off the screen to me. Being able to recognize plays is how defenders become elite in the NFL.

I haven't watched a ton of Iowa football either. But when I did, he jumped out at me. Seems like a very cool, calm, customer. He just looks like a pro out there.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Super K » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:31 am

MJW wrote:If we're picking mid-first, sign me up for some John Ross.

You can compare him to Corey Coleman. You can compare him to DeSean Jackson. You can compare him to Percy Harvin, too. But regardless, he'd look good catching passes from Jameis.

That's 2 of us on the Ross train!!..

Can we get another? C'mon...I know you're out there...hop aboard...
Super K

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:39 am

I'd be very happy with Ross. Just not ready to pound the table for him yet.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby mdb1958 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:25 pm

He has already blowed out both knees in college.
mdb1958

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:58 pm

^Ya that concerns me. He also is a one year wonder who lacks length and strength.

If we miss out on Mike Williams, I'd rather wait until day 2 to address the #2 WR spot. One guy I like is Isaiah Ford. He might never be a superstar, but the same was said of Antonio Brown. Ford offers a little bit of everything and is just a natural. He's got a solid combo of size and athleticism, but it's his instincts, hands and ball skills that really have me liking him.

He's refined enough to step in as a #2 IMO. Really curious to see how he tests at the combine. If he runs in the 4.4s he'd be a hell of a pick in round 2.
real bucs fan

Next

Return to College Football/Draft Talk