Mariota or Winston?

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
What will Lovie do with #1 Pick?

Jameis Winston
50%
Marcus Mariota
22%
No preference as long as it's MM or JW
13%
Defensive Line
2%
Offensive Line
2%
Other
1%
Trade Down
10%

Total votes : 124

Re: Mariota or Winston?

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:33 pm

This is silly.

Of course you can compare young QBs now. And of course those ratings can change as the years go by. Both these seem self evident to me

Right now it would be

Wentz
Goff/Winston
Mariota
Zarniwoop

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:41 pm

Nice to know now that QBs are only judged by a handful of games and not their entire body of work. There's absolutely no way you can look at the 3 years Winston and Mariota have and the 2 years Wentz and Goff have and come to the conclusion that Wentz or Goff are better. Thats the prime example of short sighted.
Bootz2004

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:47 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:Nice to know now that QBs are only judged by a handful of games and not their entire body of work.

They have about 140 games between them. That’s a bit more than a handful

But carry on
Zarniwoop

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:53 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:Nice to know now that QBs are only judged by a handful of games and not their entire body of work.

But carry on

That's my point. No way you come to the conclusion that Wentz or Goff are better if you're taking all 140 games into account. People are ONLY taking a handful into account aka this season alone.
Bootz2004

Postby Super K » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:59 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:

But carry on

That's my point. No way you come to the conclusion that Wentz or Goff are better if you're taking all 140 games into account. People are ONLY taking a handful into account aka this season alone.

I'd agree with that...

When it comes to Wentz and Goff, it's as if their rookie seasons don't count/didn't matter...
Super K

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:03 pm

Of course they matter.

Look at it this way .... if you ask 32 head coaches, 32 offensive coordinators , 32 GMs and 32 owners who they would want, it would not be a 25/25/25/25 split.

As such, you can make a claim that some have performed better than others .... again, it doesn’t mean that ranking will stay like that forever. If next year Webtz goes 0-16 with a 42.6 QB rating, he won’t stay #1
Zarniwoop

Postby Ken Carson » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:02 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:Rodgers was considered a bust?

Bust may not be the right word, but Packers fans hated him in 2008. You can look up their nonsense if you have spare time, but they were 6-10 and if you asked them why it was because Rodgers cared more about his numbers than winning. He was accused of taking sacks to protect his completion percentage and INTs.
Ken Carson

Postby Deja Entendu » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:56 pm

Ken Carson wrote:Deja, you live in Philly, too?

Wentz is a god right now here. Every Eagles fan is convinced they win the Lombardi by 4 TDs with him (think Cowboys vs Bills).

Yep, I'm in South Philly down by the stadiums. You too? I didn't know there were any other Philly posters on the boards.

And, yes, he is. It's crazy to see sometime actually.

The excitement level surrounding the QBs by the franchise and fan base was what I addressed, not whom is better. It ain't close.
Deja Entendu

Postby Deja Entendu » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:59 pm

Super K wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

I'd agree with that...

When it comes to Wentz and Goff, it's as if their rookie seasons don't count/didn't matter...

I'd say this applies to Goff, but Wentz had a very promising rookie season.

It's definitely way too early to say who will become the best, but safe money would be on Wentz or Winston.
Deja Entendu

Postby Deja Entendu » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:06 pm

MJW wrote:I agree, the book isn't written on any of these guys yet. It's probably safe now to "close the book" on the 2013 class. But even the 2014 class is still sorting itself out.

That said, in January of 2018, the 2016 class is beating the 2015 class on the curve. For the 19th time, maybe that changes.

The 2013 Class doesn't have a book to close, more like drunken scribbles on a cocktail napkin. And, yes, it's safe to ball that up and toss it away.
Deja Entendu

Postby PrimeMinister » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:07 pm

Deja Entendu wrote:
Super K wrote:
I'd agree with that...

I'd say this applies to Goff, but Wentz had a very promising rookie season.

It's definitely way too early to say who will become the best, but safe money would be on Wentz or Winston.

This.

I don’t see Mariota or Goff being in the same class as Winston or Wentz. Long term I think Winston will be better than any of them though.
PrimeMinister

Postby Ken Carson » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:24 am

Deja Entendu wrote:
Ken Carson wrote:Deja, you live in Philly, too?

Wentz is a god right now here. Every Eagles fan is convinced they win the Lombardi by 4 TDs with him (think Cowboys vs Bills).

Yep, I'm in South Philly down by the stadiums. You too? I didn't know there were any other Philly posters on the boards.

The excitement level surrounding the QBs by the franchise and fan base was what I addressed, not whom is better. It ain't close.

I live in Pennsport by all the Mummers clubs. I was jus at Xfinity Live for a work event so I was really close to you.
Ken Carson

Postby Deja Entendu » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:15 am

Ken Carson wrote:
Deja Entendu wrote:

I live in Pennsport by all the Mummers clubs. I was jus at Xfinity Live for a work event so I was really close to you.

Small world. I just had lunch with a buddy at Moonshine on Moyamensing last week.
Deja Entendu

Postby Ken Carson » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:22 am

I prefer The Dutch, but I've been to both.
Ken Carson

Postby MJW » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:27 am

Deja Entendu wrote:
MJW wrote:I agree, the book isn't written on any of these guys yet. It's probably safe now to "close the book" on the 2013 class. But even the 2014 class is still sorting itself out.

That said, in January of 2018, the 2016 class is beating the 2015 class on the curve. For the 19th time, maybe that changes.

The 2013 Class doesn't have a book to close, more like drunken scribbles on a cocktail napkin. And, yes, it's safe to ball that up and toss it away.

Man...I just looked it over...the best QB from that class (or at least the best CAREER) is Mike Glennon, and it's not even really close unless you're a Geno Smith fetishist. Usually even the worst classes produce one or two starting NFL QBs.
MJW

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:24 am

Ryan Fitzpatrick?
DreadNaught

Postby real bucs fan » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:33 am

And both have disapointed. But as much as Mariota has been inconsistant at least he's not on the verge of flaming out of the league while being a total embarrassment...
real bucs fan

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:52 am

real bucs fan wrote:And both have disapointed. But as much as Mariota has been inconsistant at least he's not on the verge of flaming out of the league while being a total embarrassment...

You one sad, weak minded Canadian. Zero testosterone what so ever.
Bootz2004

Postby real bucs fan » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:54 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:And both have disapointed. But as much as Mariota has been inconsistant at least he's not on the verge of flaming out of the league while being a total embarrassment...

You one sad, weak minded Canadian. Zero testosterone what so ever.

Your insecurity makes me laugh :lol:
real bucs fan

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:59 am

You haven't watched him play much this season. He's been pretty terrible outside of the Eagles game.

Both have been terrible. Jameis has just been more extreme in both good and bad. Mariota is just not effective, but he doesn't turn it over as much and make the bonehead plays.
DreadNaught

Postby real bucs fan » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:02 am

DreadNaught wrote:

You haven't watched him play much this season. He's been pretty terrible outside of the Eagles game.

Both have been terrible. Jameis has just been more extreme in both good and bad. Mariota is just not effective, but he doesn't turn it over as much and make the bonehead plays.

Well at least Mariota hasn't been an embarrassment off the field and managed to QB a team to a playoff victory, but I'm hardly marking this down as being right. Everybody was wrong :lol:
real bucs fan

Postby APiratesLifeForMe » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:23 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

Well at least Mariota hasn't been an embarrassment off the field and managed to QB a team to a playoff victory, but I'm hardly marking this down as being right. Everybody was wrong :lol:

Not only has Mariota not been an embarrassment off the field, but he's also head-and-shoulders better than Jameis on the field. Mariota just threw his first interception in the Red Zone since he's come into the league -- HIS FIRST INT IN THE REDZONE. Same certainly can't be said of Winston! On top of that, Mariota is one of the most efficient QBs in the league in the Red Zone since entering the league. I'm talking top 5-8. In addition and most importantly Mariota has had **** for a supporting cast compared to Winston. If you gave Mariota the weapons Winston has, Mariota might be considered one of the top 5-10 QBs in the league right now.

Hard to fault Mariota when not one of his WRs other than Davis would even see the field in Tampa's offense or many others for that matter! And finally, when Mariota does throw an INT, more often than not, it's a ball his receiver should have caught that the receiver bobbles and ends up in the defender's hands (can't even count the number of times I've seen that happen). Unlike Winston, rarely does Mariota throw it right into the defender's arms.

I'm not suggesting Mariota is the best QB in the league, or even in the top 10, I just know from what I've seen of the two on the field, Mariota is much better than Winston IMHO.
APiratesLifeForMe

Postby PrimeMinister » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:54 pm

Neither QB was as good as we thought.
PrimeMinister

Postby APiratesLifeForMe » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:07 am

PrimeMinister wrote:Neither QB was as good as we thought.

Agreed. However, I was never as excited about Winston or as high on him as some here. I just never thought he'd become a great pro worthy of the overall number 1 pick. Not because of his physical skills but rather his lack of mental skills. People can preach to me all they want about his supposedly high football I.Q. but it's obvious the guy is a terrible decision-maker -- both on the field and off!
APiratesLifeForMe

Postby Buc2 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:11 pm

You are so prescient. I'm surprised you haven't offered your scouting talents to an NFL team.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:12 pm

Buc2 wrote:You are so prescient. I'm surprised you haven't offered your scouting talents to an NFL team.

I'm sure they did, but he's obviously dedicated to the Pirate life...
uscbucsfan

Postby Super K » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:02 pm

Who wanted Fowler again?...cause his ass just got sent West....

Crazy he goes from a decent situation to a GREAT one, but a #3 overall pick getting traded is never good...
Super K

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:23 pm

Super K wrote:Who wanted Fowler again?...cause his ass just got sent West....

Crazy he goes from a decent situation to a GREAT one, but a #3 overall pick getting traded is never good...

I don't know if I would call the Jags defense decent. They are a lot better than the Rams.
uscbucsfan

Postby Super K » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:40 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
Super K wrote:Who wanted Fowler again?...cause his ass just got sent West....

I don't know if I would call the Jags defense decent. They are a lot better than the Rams.

My bad, I was speaking in terms of team trajectory this year...
Super K

Postby MJW » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:28 am

We were never going to do anything but draft a quarterback.

Sometimes, it's a lose-lose. Both Winston and Mariota had questions. Neither had the answers work out in their favor at the next level. We move on.
MJW

PreviousNext

Return to College Football/Draft Talk